http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 12:34:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blizzard to 360's - no World of Warcraft for you  (Read 1098 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2006, 10:09:58 PM »

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=827

“We do not have any plans to take WoW to Xbox 360,” Blizzard COO Paul Sams told MCV. “WoW is built as a PC gaming experience. Porting PC games to console often compromises games, and we’d never allow the WoW gameplay experience to suffer.

“Also, it’s important to us that the entire player base is  able to play together. Microsoft’s Xbox Live architecture is very protected from all sorts of outside influence, so shared play between 360 and PC owners would be very tough. We wouldn’t even consider WoW for 360 unless we could overcome that hurdle.”

Looks like it's Final Fantasy XI only for your MMO needs for right now.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 10:26:54 PM »

:?:

I'm surprised anyone even thought of that being a real possibility....at least enough that there needed to be a statement on it.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 10:29:44 PM »

Well they could always make a console specific MMO themselves perhaps related to WoW but set in a different timeframe so you wouldn't expect the two games to merge.  I think Blizzard could really put a nice CMMORPG out.
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 11:43:50 PM »

Meh.  MMOGs are a really silly concept for the most part, and I can't see why Blizzard would want to come out with another one, especially if it was console only.

As for a WoW port, it would likely involve big changes to WoW itself to accomodate such a thing, and right now they probably have their hands full just dealing with the PC gamers.

FFXI was a console game ported to the PC.  A much different scenario than WoW.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 12:00:04 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Meh.  MMOGs are a really silly concept for the most part, and I can't see why Blizzard would want to come out with another one, especially if it was console only.

Yeah because people hate them and they don't make hardly any money at all.

Talking out of your ass?
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 12:30:24 AM »

Quote from: "Lee"

Yeah because people hate them and they don't make hardly any money at all.

Talking out of your ass?

I think he was refering to, they dont have a set objective, all you do is level a character for hours on end and its a big ass time waster. I play Final Fantasy XI, and I waste lots of time playing it, but I know its silly.

Talking out of your ass?

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 01:21:19 AM »

Wow, Lee.  Don't hold back, tell us what you really feel.  Don't let manners or civility stand in your way.

If you think MMOGs are so great, try picking up a really solid single player RPG and give me a comparison.  The depth of your average MMOG is about on par with Ultima 1.  Even WoW, which I love, is still not deep as far as RPG games go.

But it's far better to sputter and fume like a precocious 5 year old.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 01:35:02 AM »

Quote from: "Booner"
:?:

I'm surprised anyone even thought of that being a real possibility....at least enough that there needed to be a statement on it.

There were some pretty heavy rumors recently hat MS had signed a WoW console exclusive so I'm sure this was in response to that.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 03:29:45 AM »

Wow, Lee.  Don't hold back, tell us what you really feel.  Don't let manners or civility stand in your way.

If you think MMOGs are so great, try picking up a really solid single player RPG and give me a comparison.  The depth of your average MMOG is about on par with Ultima 1.  Even WoW, which I love, is still not deep as far as RPG games go.

But it's far better to sputter and fume like a precocious 5 year old.

That was rude? "Talking out of your ass" is just slang for saying your are talking BS. It wasn't intended as rude, but I am trying to say what you are saying has no basis in reality. slywink

People love MMORPGS. They flock to them. The companies make fortunes if they do it right. So saying it's a silly concept, when its actually a well proven concept is just absurd. You just don't like them is all.

Yeah there is repetitiveness to MMORPGs, but no more than any single player game. The thing you don't understand is the whole playing with other people thing. It adds so many layers (good and bad) that you just can't compare them to a game like MW. Both are good games for certain people, but to write it off just because you don't like it/get it, is silly.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 04:02:17 AM »

I would be suprised if Blizzard doesn't develop a console MMORPG.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 04:10:20 AM »

The depth of your average MMOG is about on par with Ultima 1.
What do you mean in terms of 'depth?'  Everquest (1) was really fucking 'deep,' but its world was pretty much non-interactable.

And if you mean story, when's the last time any RPG had a good story?  Planescape: Torment is pretty much the most recent one I can think of.  Sure, I've enjoyed alot of RPGs since then, but I can admit their stories were pretty weak.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 06:28:11 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
What do you mean in terms of 'depth?'  Everquest (1) was really fucking 'deep,' but its world was pretty much non-interactable.

If you call killing rats for hours deep, than yeah, EQ was hella deep.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 06:33:57 AM »

After reading this the talking out of your ass comments seem pretty appropriate to me, as you have no clue what your talking about.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 01:49:32 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Just like going out in most single player RPG's and fighting random battles to level up.  At least in an MMO I can pick and choose my battles, I can decide what I want to fight.

:roll:

Personally I would love to see WoW on the 360.  The 360 supports mouse and keyboard already for MMO's, and you would have the ability to use voice chat.
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 03:27:12 PM »

I played EQ for YEARS.  And the last adjective I would use to describe the experience is "deep".  Let me know how deep an experience you found leveling up your compass skill, or your swimming skill  :roll:

An MMOG is a shallow game placed on top of an IRC channel.  Quests in EQ were, at the MOST, of the Fed-Ex variety.

But hey, keep defending it.  It's rather amusing.

Quote from: "Jumangi"

After reading this the talking out of your ass comments seem pretty appropriate to me, as you have no clue what your talking about.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 04:01:30 PM »

An MMOG is a shallow game placed on top of an IRC channel.

I find this statement a better summary of my thoughts on MMO's than I could articulate. Bravo.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 12:43:21 AM »

See, and I truly don't want it to come across as baseless MMOG bashing, because it's not.  I'm a fan of the game, the same way I have always been a fan of RPGs in general.

But there is a progression here.  And, having seen that progression from it's beginning, it isnt anything I havent seen before.  I mean heck, I've PLAYED the first video game (Pong variants), and most other games since then.  I -played- Ultima when it was a hot new game.

Now if you look at something like UO or EQ, you will see a huge difference between that and WoW.  Which isnt saying WoW is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it really does move the genre forward in a way nothing prior had.

And, of course, there is still a long way to go, because you have to start somewhere.

As I said, in terms of depth, I would probably rank EQ as a far more time intensive (and frustrating) version of Ultima.  Yeah, you gain levels, but the game experience itself doesnt change radically.  You go from killing rats to killing bigger rats to killing bears to killing bigger bears and so on.  You get a spell, and later a more powerful version of said spell, and later on another incrimentally more powerful version of said spell.

I could start the discussion with UO, which I also played, but the less said about that game, the better.  I was killed by a fucking kitty cat, and another time by a bunny rabbit.  So when EQ allowed you to start your career killing rats, you were taking a huge step up.  Beating a virtual wooden post for hours does not float my boat.

Anyway, in the way that Chrono Trigger was a fantastically paced console RPG, so too is WoW a very finely paced example of an MMOG.  Previous examples were... very much not, since your entire time on the game you just become a more powerful version of what you pretty much started out as.  IMO, that is the biggest success of WoW, all things considered.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: