http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:23:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blizzard gets sued.  (Read 757 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2012, 02:13:33 AM »

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/11/10/blizzard-sued-over-battlenet-authentication

Are you fucking kidding me? If i buy house that has locks ect and someone breaks in, i dont sue bc they didnt install a security system! Also, the authenticator is FREE for smartphones. It only costs 6 bucks or so for the OPTIONAL physical one!

What your thoughts. I say fuck off, go back to banging your sister in your moms basement! But that might be a bit harsh;).
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 02:27:57 AM »

This will be interesting.  If the suit actually somehow wins, it sets an epic bad precedent for any accounts that provide 2FA as an option (so basically anything worth a shit).
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 03:39:14 AM »

I donít think itís worth a lawsuit but I do have a problem with the way Blizzard handles Authenticators.  Not everyone has a smartphone (I donít) and there are other measures they could have taken to protect users that wouldnít involve a keychain doodad.  If I recall correctly there are many countries where itís not even possible to buy the physical authenticator.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 03:56:51 AM »

The Authenticator is entirely optional (but highly recommended), and by all reports, $6.50 is their cost (especially once you factor in shipping).

Hell - it makes Blizzard titles MORE secure than most BANKS for crying out loud. I know my bank doesn't offer two factor authentication when trying to access it online.

And as mentioned, they offer a completely free iDevice/Android/Blackberry/Windows Phone 7 version.

This 'lawsuit' needs to be thrown out because it's fucking stupid. But that's the normal course it seems nowadays.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 05:55:48 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 11, 2012, 03:56:51 AM

The Authenticator is entirely optional (but highly recommended), and by all reports, $6.50 is their cost (especially once you factor in shipping).

Hell - it makes Blizzard titles MORE secure than most BANKS for crying out loud. I know my bank doesn't offer two factor authentication when trying to access it online.

And as mentioned, they offer a completely free iDevice/Android/Blackberry/Windows Phone 7 version.

This 'lawsuit' needs to be thrown out because it's fucking stupid. But that's the normal course it seems nowadays.

thumbsup
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 07:50:43 AM »

I think the issue is without an authenticator on a blizzard account it is not as secure as it should be. Really all online gaming needs more security not less and a simple logon and pw seems a bit weak these days.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »

This case isn't about the Authenticator. It's about Blizzard account security, which we've ourselves pointed out on this very forum is lackluster at best. I'm one of the people who've lost a WoW account permanently because their security is insufficient. I hadn't used it for years, but when I tried to log back in, I couldn't. This has happened to a LOT of people. Their accounts, regardless of type of password used, are hacked and gone, and Blizzard has refused to acknowledge that they've got a problem on their end. Instead they started selling Authenticators, turning their own bad security into a product.

So yeah, I can see why they're being sued, and I think it's good that their lack of security gets to be looked closer at in court.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »

So, put that way, that does make sense. Blizzard's system outright ignores CaPiTal letters outright (everything is stored as lower case in their system for some retarded reason), and yes, seems to be extremely vulnerable to external hack attempts (I myself got my account 'hacked' despite not having played the game in over a year).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 06:29:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 11, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

This case isn't about the Authenticator. It's about Blizzard account security, which we've ourselves pointed out on this very forum is lackluster at best. I'm one of the people who've lost a WoW account permanently because their security is insufficient. I hadn't used it for years, but when I tried to log back in, I couldn't. This has happened to a LOT of people. Their accounts, regardless of type of password used, are hacked and gone, and Blizzard has refused to acknowledge that they've got a problem on their end. Instead they started selling Authenticators, turning their own bad security into a product.

So yeah, I can see why they're being sued, and I think it's good that their lack of security gets to be looked closer at in court.

I'm not entirely sure that it's a lack of security so much that it's just such a rich target.  Any entity can be hacked with the right amount of resources - it just so happens Blizzard is pretty target rich for the reason you state.  There are probably millions of inactive accounts that can get compromised with zero ability to identify that they are compromised.

It's of course possible that Blizzard is negligent here, but I'd doubt that is the case.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 07:30:26 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 11, 2012, 06:29:15 PM

I'm not entirely sure that it's a lack of security so much that it's just such a rich target.  Any entity can be hacked with the right amount of resources - it just so happens Blizzard is pretty target rich for the reason you state.  There are probably millions of inactive accounts that can get compromised with zero ability to identify that they are compromised.

It's of course possible that Blizzard is negligent here, but I'd doubt that is the case.

All I know is that so far Blizzard has locked my account twice due to suspicious activity (so its security worked), and I lost about 1,5 million gold in Diablo 3 when I got hacked twice when the security didn't work. The score Hackers vs Blizzard so far is 2-2 for me.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on November 11, 2012, 07:30:26 PM

Quote from: gellar on November 11, 2012, 06:29:15 PM

All I know is that so far Blizzard has locked my account twice due to suspicious activity (so its security worked), and I lost about 1,5 million gold in Diablo 3 when I got hacked twice when the security didn't work. The score Hackers vs Blizzard so far is 2-2 for me.

I blame it all on gold farmers in the Republic of China.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: