http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 01:42:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blizzard and Starcraft 2  (Read 2000 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2005, 07:04:56 PM »

Although it is likely I will get pounded on pretty hard for creating this topic without anything to show for it, I do have a question.

You have a company like Blizzard that is obviously well beyond the average gaming company with regards to "smarts".  They have created the following games:

Diablo, Diablo II, Wacraft, Warcraft II, Warcraft III, World of Warcraft, and of course Starcraft.  

Each game, in it's own right, has been a massive success.  WoW just being an absolutely insane hit.  Although it is now all the rage to be a Blizzard Basher, I will admit that I have, from the beginning, loved the company and the games they have put out.  For me it started with Warcraft II and Diablo, and then peaked at Starcraft.  I have logged many hours into WoW, and think it is also a great game.

My question is: Why not make Starcraft 2?  Why not?  Is the company making so much money already, that an absolute positive guaranteed blockbuster is not needed?  Could you even imagine what other game companies would give to be in that position!!

Was there any word, hint, rumor, anything shown or heard at E3 that would indicate this game is under development yet?  I mean, not even a peep?

I know TinyOgre visits the forums now and again, but asking him anything would most likely be equivalent to asking the FBI if UFO's really exist.  But surely someone out there has heard something....  no?

I am a bit stupified at the insanely long hiatus of this universe.  And for the love of pete, regarding Ghost... please don't even go there.

Anybody?

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 07:37:39 PM »

I have no clue what Blizzard has going on currently.  The rumor is Diablo 3, but who really knows?  Maybe they're moving away from the RTS games of the past (their last RTS release was Frozen Throne in July of 2003) and going more toward the WoW type of game...maybe they have a Starcraft MMORPG that is being developed, I really don't know.

I was a bit surprised they didn't announce anything and just showed off Ghost...a game they should have just dumped a long time ago.  They will really be testing their name brand recognition when Ghost comes out and I think they're banking on their name carrying them to large sales on Ghost...but I think it's pretty risky given how much bad press it has gotten so far.

Maybe Blizzard will have some unveiling coming up...maybe they're going to send the press to Irvine and show something in the next few months.  I personally have no clue, but I join you in wanting Starcraft 2...I'd also love Warcraft IV and Diablo III.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 07:39:24 PM »

Starcraft MMORPG

I'd be in, sight unseen.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 07:54:19 PM »

There have been a few rumors regarding Blizzard's next game, and they've all pointed to Diablo 3.  I think this is odd, since WoW shares many elements of Diablo, so I would think StarCraft 2 would be the obvious choice for their next game.  They just trademarked the name "The Burning Crusade", but that is most likely the name of a WoW expansion pack.
Personally, I'd love for them to try their hand at a more traditional story-based RPG, a la Bioware.  I enjoyed WoW, but it finally convinced me that MMORPGs are just not for me.  If it had been a single-player game, I probably would have never stopped playing it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »

World of Starcraft?  Hell yeah I'd be in.  But we'll never see it:  WoW Expansions are undoubtedly a greater priority, and likely more profitable.

There's still Starcraft: Ghost in the works, aka, Blizzard's take on Splinter Cell.  And Diablo 3 is always rumored, but quite frankly, I doubt we'll see it for a long, long time (if ever).  Hellgate: London and Guild Wars are both spiritual Diablo 3s, after all.  And they're both by people who actually worked on Diablo 1 & 2.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 01:46:26 AM »

While World of Starcraft would be GREAT, from a business standpoint it wouldnt be good, since it would canibalize on their existing market.

I for one would LOVE to have a good sci-fi RPG.  Fantasy is kind of overdone; you can only save the realm from the evil wizard so many times.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 02:31:22 AM »

I agree.  I want to save the planet from the evil scientist.  Or maybe evil aliens.  And I want a laser sword and +5 blaster to do it with.  And maybe some psionics.

The funny thing is, most of the fantasy conventions could easily move over to a science fiction universe, and it would seem completely different and new, because there aren't many sci fi rpgs out there for some reason.

I want someone to make a game as nice as World of Warcraft, but science fiction! Aren't there enough fantasy games?

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 07:40:46 AM »

I would be content with a sci-fi Diablo 2.  Growing up, I always found Star Frontiers and Gamma World to be more compelling that D&D, but once I got into AD&D, the complexity of the system grabbed me.  If only something like d20 had been around when I was a lad...

[edit] I had been meaning to post if anyone was following NWN2, but I'll limit it to a specific question:  does anyone know if it (or another mod'able RPG) would allow a Star Frontiers or Gamma World total conversion?  I had high expectations for Dungeon Seige, but was horribly dissapointed in it all around.
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 02:42:58 PM »

I have played and loved every Blizzard game since Diablo.  I can't wait to hear what they are working on.  Other than a few WoW expansions, I bet they are well underway on Starcraft 2.  And I would also bet they are starting the wheels on their next MMORPG game.  Blizzard's development cycle is 4-5 years.  You would think that WoW will get a 5 year run before their next one comes out.

My guess:
WoW expansion announced first, released for the holidays '05
Starcraft 2 announced late this year with a '06 release date
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 06:39:06 PM »

Do you guys remember when a few of the Blizzard folk decided to leave the company?  I believe it was when Vivendi (?) brought Blizzard under their umbrella - and these guys didn't like the way things seemed to be headed.  If I'm not mistaken, the big name to leave was Bill Roper, and with him a select few that had a healthy dose of respect from the gaming community.

Anyway, didn't these guys end up forming their own company or somesuch thing?  If so - do they have a webpage or does anyone know what they are working on currently?  I don't really keep up with stuff like that, but maybe they are making something akin to Starcraft 2?

Am I thinking of the right company here?  

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 06:45:03 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
Do you guys remember when a few of the Blizzard folk decided to leave the company?  I believe it was when Vivendi (?) brought Blizzard under their umbrella - and these guys didn't like the way things seemed to be headed.  If I'm not mistaken, the big name to leave was Bill Roper, and with him a select few that had a healthy dose of respect from the gaming community.

Anyway, didn't these guys end up forming their own company or somesuch thing?  If so - do they have a webpage or does anyone know what they are working on currently?  I don't really keep up with stuff like that, but maybe they are making something akin to Starcraft 2?

Am I thinking of the right company here?  

LD

That's Flagship Studios.  They're making Hellgate: London.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 06:48:43 PM »

I THINK Bill Roeper is head of Flagship Studios, making that Hellgate: London thing.  I could be wrong.

Anyway, Starcraft II would be great, but I just doubt it'll happen.  WCIII is still selling strong, and Starcraft II would just muddy the waters.  I really want to be wrong though.  If they do make it, I want them to make the game that Dawn of War SHOULD have been.  Take out base building all together (or at least minimize it), and make it squad based.  Shit, that'll fit perfectly with some of the hero-based gameplay jacked from WCIII.  

See Blizzard? I rock at ideas.  Hire me.  Please?

Just Hiro will do.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 07:12:26 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
See Blizzard? I rock at ideas.  Hire me.  Please?

They have plenty of jobs available for you.

The rumors that NCSoft has taken a number of Blizzard employees (and it's a fact they've opened up a branch in Irvine) seems to be true unless Blizzard is gearing up for something else quite large.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 07:43:36 PM »

Flagship Studios huh?

OK.  I will check them out.  And now Ebonstone's response eariler in the thread makes more sense too.  I've seen some screenshots for Hellgate:London, but just dismissed it as a run-of-the-mill First Person Shooter.  I will look into this too.

Thanks.

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 08:13:41 PM »

Yeah, there were like 5 major Blizzard North people that left Blizzard to form Flagship...people that made Diablo/Diablo 2 what they were.

Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2005, 09:49:37 PM »

I want someone to make a game as nice as World of Warcraft, but science fiction!

SWG?  biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: