http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 04:40:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blazing Angels Demo on Live...  (Read 1922 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2006, 10:29:07 PM »

For anyone interested.  I am downloading it now...

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 10:35:07 PM »

Oh hell yes!  (runs off to get in queue).  I am downloading it now.  I actually was at Gamestop a few minutes ago and was sooooo close to preordering this baby, but I decided to wait for impressions.  Now, I don't have to and if I like it back I go to Gamestop.

Thanks a million.  Sweet.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 12:03:24 AM »

I'm out.  Not picking this up after playing the demo.  It is okay, but not worth $60 by any means.  Graphics are not as good as I had hoped and the gameplay is very very simplistic.  Simply arcade.  I knew it was somewhat of an arcade title but not to this extent and the voice-overs are just silly to me.  Very corny.  Also, the detail in the graphics is just not there.  One example is all the little people running around.  I actually sat on the runway and just watched them for awhile and they just run back and forth 20 paces or so forever never really doing anything.  Just moving back and forth to make it look like (from the air I assume) that those people down there are working hard at airport stuff.  I don't know, it just struck me as very simple and uninspiring.

Fun for a few minutes but I could see I would never finish it and certainly would not pay full price for this baby.  

If arcady dogfighting and bombing runs by lining up a moving circle on the target is your thing then grab it.

I will say though that the explosions and guns are very very well done.  They just don't make it worthy of a purchase for me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:07:20 AM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I'm out.  Not picking this up after playing the demo.  It is okay, but not worth $60 by any means.  Graphics are not as good as I had hoped and the gameplay is very very simplistic.  Simply arcade.  I knew it was somewhat of an arcade title but not to this extent and the voice-overs are just silly to me.  Very corny.  Also, the detail in the graphics is just not there.  One example is all the little people running around.  I actually sat on the runway and just watched them for awhile and they just run back and forth 20 paces or so forever never really doing anything.  Just moving back and forth to make it look like (from the air I assume) that those people down there are working hard at airport stuff.  I don't know, it just struck me as very simple and uninspiring.

Fun for a few minutes but I could see I would never finish it and certainly would not pay full price for this baby.  

If arcady dogfighting and bombing runs by lining up a moving circle on the target is your thing then grab it.

I will say though that the explosions and guns are very very well done.  They just don't make it worthy of a purchase for me.

Yeah, I'm out as well. With Oblivion out this week anyway, I don't need to bother with this.

The demo just saved me $60. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 12:25:45 AM »

I just logged on and was gonna download it, but its not there... Wonder if they pulled it?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 01:10:55 AM »

Hmmm....  I will have to check out this demo then.  Is it multiplayer or singleplayer?

And if they did pull it for some reason... well, that would be different.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 02:31:09 AM »

This is depressing... :cry:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 03:07:16 AM »

Single player only.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 03:08:50 AM »

CONSPIRACY!!!

Maybe it was just some bug.  Or maybe the early impressions were so bad they realized they were killing potential sales?

I still think the ads suck.  I could have written mikeg's impressions based on the magazine ad alone.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 03:10:04 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Quote from: "mikeg"

Yeah, I'm out as well. With Oblivion out this week anyway, I don't need to bother with this.

The demo just saved me $60. smile

Yeah that demo was horrible.  Most PS2 games look better than that.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 03:24:30 AM »

Just got done with the BA demo. So... so far I think it did not transition well from the Xbox (original Slated for) to the 360. When the developers made the decision to go 360, it obviously did not include what we the next gen. owners would spend $60.00 on.

First Look: Graphics sucks. the background animations STUPID.  PLAIN STUPID. so SNES. Flight simmers will quickly get turned off from the get go.  Bite you tongue and play on.

Game Play: Fun lots of fun and all the ugliness seems to fade away when you start to zero in on your targets. Think Tunnel vision literally. This is good considering all the visual draw backs this game has.  

When you are hit/damaged you hit the left D pad and your mechanic will tell you what damage you have suffered then a mini game will ensue where you push a series of button combinations (thing God of War) and you will be all fixed up. Its will be your pilot switching from a main line to an auxiliary one. I was lucky enough not to have gotten shot down, but I am curious to know what will happen if any of my auxiliaries got hit. I also would have liked to experience some sort of fling difficulty when something is damaged.

I was really focused on the game when it came to the missions and forgot about the hideous speed blur, and graphics. One thing mattered. Staying alive and taking out the enemy before they got me.
Oh the wing men and supporting pilots really do put out in the game. There was one point about a dozen or so plane flew in, and I was so focused on one by time I got him the support pilots had taken out the rest.  cool stuff.

Will I buy the game? yes This game has a lot of potential in live.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 06:39:07 AM »

I enjoyed the demo.  The speed blur is terrible.  Other than that I thought the graphics, while not bad overall, weren't anything the original Xbox couldn't do.  The 2nd mission where you were fighting over London was fun.  Last week I decided to get The Outfit instead of Blazing Angels and I am happy with that decision.  But I may pick up BA if the online play gets good reviews.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 09:10:44 AM »

After playing the demo, I would say I liked it, but no way is it worth a $60 purchase. $30 or $40 maybe.

Things I liked:
The targeting system (hold left trigger) is pretty cool. It makes tracking a single target very easy to maintain. The terrain and city graphics are nicely detailed. Smoke and explosions lood good too. The dogfighting gameplay is nicely done, on a visceral perspective, though not in any way a realistic representation.

Things I disliked:
Good god the radio chatter is LAME. Ultra-cheesy lines and bad accents. The invisible world boundaries are annoying. When you get to the edge of the world, the game takes over your plane and auto-manuevers it back into valid airspace. It's a totally jarring interruption of the game when you are in the middle of a dogfight. When you are on the ground, the little guys running back and forth aimlessly are laughable. It's like they're in a crazed state of panic and don't know what to do. The speed blur effect is totally unnecessary and looks awful.

Overall, it's a mindless, oversimplified air combat game in the same vein as Secret Weapons Over Normandy and Heroes of the Pacific. I'd like to get Blazing Angels eventually, but I think I'll wait until it goes way down in price.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 03:26:16 PM »

Dissapointing. That demo just saved me $60.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 04:47:47 PM »

Ouch...I'm downloading it now as well.  I may be saving 60 bucks too.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 05:37:27 PM »

Is it like Crimson Skies?  That was very 'arcadey' and I loved it.  How does it compare?  I would be out if it was too sim like.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 06:20:19 PM »

After playing the demo, Crimson Skies was more fun I think. The speed blur is HORRID.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 06:23:19 PM »

It's like Crimson Skies in that it is a purely arcade flight game. Other than that, they are very different. Crimson Skies had a much more interesting universe and a really appealing swashbuckler of the skies feel. It's hard to tell from the Blazing Angels demo, but I have a feeling the mission variety is not as good as Crimson Skies either.

Blazing Angels does nothing really to distinguish itself from Secret Weapons Over Normandy and Heroes of the Pacific. In fact, I think Heroes is a much better game.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 07:35:01 PM »

I think Heroes is a much better game.

Bingo.  I want something motivating me.  Why can't Dynamix make another Red Baron game? Or better yet, where is Cinemaware with another Wings game?!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2006, 01:58:20 AM »

...DIGITAL STEVEN WEBER!?!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2006, 02:57:08 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
...DIGITAL STEVEN WEBER!?!?

The hell you say!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2006, 04:09:54 AM »

Whoah, digital Steven Weber has a 'lil bit of a belly going on...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 04:22:49 AM »

He's double-handing the food - you'd expect that kinda result.  It still doesn't change that I'm underwhelmed by the Blazing Angels demo. :/

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 04:26:38 AM »

That chick in Wings was hot.  Her voice was slightly annoying . . . but she was a hottie.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2006, 04:35:35 AM »

6.9''d at Gamespot....

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sim/worldwariisquadron/review.html?sid=6146551

Oh well.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 04:50:37 AM »

Ugh, after that review, I'm not even going to wait for the price to drop. Too bad. The game had so much potential. It's amazing to me that the developer was okay with shipping  the game with such abysmal voice acting that, according to the Gamespot review, even borders on racist in some cases.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2006, 03:49:50 PM »

The voice acting killed this for me, but nothing else pulled me in either.  I was really looking forward to it, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 04:05:25 PM »

OUT!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2006, 01:51:26 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
That chick in Wings was hot.  Her voice was slightly annoying . . . but she was a hottie.

what?you mean Linda McCartney?,lol

as for blazing angels,the demo graphics were pretty bad for 360,the controls aren't great(whats with the camera?),as has already been said the speed blur does nothing but make me hate it......and HOW THE HELL DO YOU DROP THE FLYERS ON THE CHURCH ROOF?....he tells you to line the bomb sight up(which i suppose is the red circle),but then he loses his voice or something and doesnt tell me how to drop the flyers.......so in the end i made sure it was the church i crashed into!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2006, 01:57:55 PM »

Click the right analog stick.

I didn't really dislike the demo that much.  Then again, I have a standard TV, not HDTV.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2006, 04:40:10 PM »

thanks,and i have sony widescreen,not HD either,but then again games like call of duty 2,kameo still look amazing on it...this had fuzzy lines

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: