http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 12:59:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bladestorm demo  (Read 916 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2007, 03:55:49 PM »

I'm not sure I get it.  It comes off like an action game, but they take all the action out of your hands.  It's hard to tell how effective your attacks are because your guys are always following behind you, but the camera is behind you, too.  Strategy games don't usually click with me right away, so it's possible that this is brilliant, and I just don't see it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 06:45:38 PM »

Is this 360, PS3, or what?  Haven't heard of it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 08:19:47 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on October 06, 2007, 06:45:38 PM

Is this 360, PS3, or what?  Haven't heard of it.

Both, though the demo is on XBLM, not sure about PS3.  It's from Koei, and it dips again into the battlefield, but instead of Japan or China, it's during the Hundred Years' War.  You control a main character and all of the pre-battle preparations are done in a bar, talking to various NPCs.  On the field, you move your character, but you don't actually fight with them.  And that's where my confusion comes in.  I'm not sure what the point is.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 09:16:18 PM »

If that's true, I won't even bother downloading it.  Sounds boring as heck.  Moving on...

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »

i downloaded it of the playstation store and couldnt get to grips with it....just incase i have downloaded it also from the marketplace,to see if i can get better results from the 360

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 01:54:53 AM »

Bullwinkles description put me to sleep on it's own.  Pass.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 07:59:21 AM »

I'm having a good time with the demo
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 09:20:52 AM »

Its kinda like the Kingdom Under Fire series.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 11:53:54 AM »

It's more like a tactical dynasty warriors. I played the Japanese demo a while back, and didn't quite get what the hell way going on, but Bladestorm is more about gathering a group of soldiers guiding them into battle, giving them some orders, you can drop them and go command another group give some orders, so on and so on. You have a couple of more powerful attacks that have time limits. It definitely seems like the game requires a lot more thought than any of the Dynasty titles, which is a good thing.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 01:36:52 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 07, 2007, 09:20:52 AM

Its kinda like the Kingdom Under Fire series.

Except in that one you control squads while fighting yourself.  KUF is a good series and one that I took to right away, even with the learning curve.  I keep thinking I'm missing something with this one, but I'm not sure that I am.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 05:43:08 PM »

Hated it beyond belief.  I actually thought KUF was alright, but this stunk on so many levels.  First and foremost, the graphics.  Sooooooooooooooooo   last gen I could not stomach it.  And the whole bartender thingie at the beginning handing out missions made me feel like I was playing a game from the early 90's. 

So far off my list the word "Bladestorm" will never cross my lips again.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 01:45:52 AM »

Played it seems like a KUF clone I hated the camera graphics mehh.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 02:36:38 AM »

I really dug it. It got a little confusing, but as long as it's just a rental or not too pricey, I'm in.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 07:18:45 AM »

i hated it and thought it was terrible for the first 5 minutes.  i was hoping for a new version of kuf - its not.  i actually ended up liking it after a bit more time though.

i thought it would be something where i could set up squads and position archers and such but as soon as you leave a squad they do their own thing.  think of it like dynasty warriors (which i hate to be honest - bores me to tears).  instead of one guy however youre a squad.  instead of mashing a to attack, you hold right button.  instead of a "heavy attack" "special attack" etc you have a single use attack that needs to recharge.  but yea the game will click much more if you realize its dynasty warriors except you hold rb instead of mash a.

also if youre having problems with the camera, wait a few seconds before moving and your guys will form up on you in a line.  if you dash forward, your guys will fall behind and start to straggle.  if you stop, theyll all line up into an attack formation - makes it easier to see where they are and makes them much more effective in combat.  when your main guy runs ahead, youre basically in a loose column and are in command of rabble.  you want them to form up on you before you attack

and the graphics are bad, yes.  if its a dry spell i might rent it when it comes out, just because i like the idea of getting new equipment and squad levels / moves.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 05:46:47 PM »

haven't had time to try out the download.  i used to like the dw series, so this warrants a look at least.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 07:09:58 PM »

oh also if you like the game keep in mind you have a "contract time" to complete your mission.  so your time might be two days or 4 days, but you can take the base in a day.  if you want to level up or collect gold or whatever spend a day or two just killing troops or seizing other bases and leave your actual objective for the last day - youll get in more play time and get to see some more stuff

of course if you hate the game, just buzz right through and never play again smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: