http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:23:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black?  (Read 2338 times)
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2006, 07:19:04 PM »

Anyone get this yesterday? How is it? Mine's on the way from GameFly...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »

I got it...but I'm not sure what to make of it.  Ok, yes...I can blow up a lot of objects...but where is the gameplay?  It seems pretty run and gun with a side dash of "oh yea, you can blow stuff up".  Not at all what I was expecting.  To demonstrate this to my wife (who had already lost any attention on the game in the first level) I literally scooped up the shotgun and ran headlong towards enemies.  I cleared the level on the first attempt without dying once.  I'm gonna keep going, but my initial impression isn't that good...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 08:23:18 PM »

I'm really enjoying it! On the hard difficulty, I find you have to be alot more careful. On the first level I've passed all three difficulty level but the Black Ops difficulty still hasn't opened up yet although it set it would if I passed the hard mode for the level. Has anyone been able to open it.....or do you have to wait until the end of the game?

Btw: I know, "Who the hell is this guy?". I've actually been coming here for a long time, well back into the Console Gold days. Finally decided to start posting. Umm, not really one for introduction posts, so we'll leave it at that.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 09:12:49 PM »

Quote from: "Wolves"
Btw: I know, "Who the hell is this guy?". I've actually been coming here for a long time, well back into the Console Gold days. Finally decided to start posting. Umm, not really one for introduction posts, so we'll leave it at that.

Glad to have you around Wolves.  Great avatar - it's hard to tell but is that Jack Bauer saying "Dammit!"?
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 09:16:01 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

Glad to have you around Wolves.  Great avatar - it's hard to tell but is that Jack Bauer saying "Dammit!"?

It's the "ARE YOU READY TO RUMMMMMMMMMBLE" guy.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 09:27:32 PM »

Noobs that Vince McMahon owner and ruler of the WWE

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 09:51:15 PM »

Ah - last time I watched professional wrestling Andre the Giant was kicking ass and taking names.

Back to Black - I'm wondering if this game is as short as I've heard.  That's a killer for me because I rarely replay shooters.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 10:14:03 PM »

IGN said the game was about a half a dozen hours long (don't ask me why they didn't just say 6), so it's definitely a rental for me.  Heck, as intense as CoD2 got at times I still finished it in one sitting on a Sunday afternoon.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 11:13:27 PM »

I'm with Nightshade on this one.  I find it run and gun all the way with the fun being in how much devastation I can cause to the environs.  Oh, and the graphics, aside from the destructibility, are extremely average in my opinion.  The weapons are definitely the star of the show as they are as touted.  

I like it, cuz I like blowing sh!t up, but not alot of depth to the story or gameplay.  

Oh, and no lean, no jump, and no multi.  For what it's worth.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 11:16:37 PM »

I enjoyed the demo, and I am getting it from Gamefly. It shipped yesterday so tomorrow or Friday I will be playing it. I didnt even really consider buying with a playtime of 6 hours and little replay value, but still, I am looking forwardt to just straight run and gun and blow shit up.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 01:25:47 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I enjoyed the demo, and I am getting it from Gamefly. It shipped yesterday so tomorrow or Friday I will be playing it. I didnt even really consider buying with a playtime of 6 hours and little replay value, but still, I am looking forwardt to just straight run and gun and blow shit up.

My sentiments exactly...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 01:29:51 AM »

I would rather play the box.  Or maybe just stare at the magazine ad.  Both are nice.

This one sounds like another Killzone.  At least Killzone had online play.

Still, I like the old run-n-gun as long as the controls are tight.  $20 sounds like the right price to me.

Cold Winter was a good fun FPS.  Buy that instead.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 02:53:09 AM »

I have a feeling Black will be $20 before too long.  I'd probably get it at that price point, but it sounds too much like a one trick pony for $40.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 03:37:37 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

You know, I remember hearing about that one but forgot it existed.  Thanks for mentioning it!

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 05:09:31 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"

You know, I remember hearing about that one but forgot it existed.  Thanks for mentioning it!

Really? How were the reviews? this one dissapeared pretty quickly.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 05:16:26 AM »

Was Cold Winter the one written by Warren Ellis?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 01:40:33 PM »

The review (I think it was only 7.5 on IGN) I read said the graphics we just OK but the AI was really well done. I'm not sure who wrote it, but it's at the 20 buck range now so I'll probably end up picking it up.  I'm kinda holding off on getting anything because my local Gamestop is about due for anothe 'Buy 2 get 1 free' sale on used stuff.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 08:21:09 PM »

The review (I think it was only 7.5 on IGN) I read said the graphics we just OK but the AI was really well done. I'm not sure who wrote it, but it's at the 20 buck range now so I'll probably end up picking it up.  I'm kinda holding off on getting anything because my local Gamestop is about due for anothe 'Buy 2 get 1 free' sale on used stuff.
Console only or PC too CK?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 09:58:42 PM »

Console only or PC too CK?

Console.  PS2 only, I believe.

Because I can,
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 10:12:06 PM »

thanks (and yep, it is indeed McMahon btw)

I'm still enjoying the game, the levels are getting longer as they go on, but I am getting the feeling that the overall game won't  last too long also as when I beat the first level it said 2% complete, then when I beat the same level on hard it said 4% complete. Given that there's 4 difficulty levels, per level it means there's only 12.5 levels (hey, it's what the calculator said, don't blame me). :lol:

Basically, I think a good way to sum this up, the selling point is the guns and the explosions (and to a lesser degree the graphics too), if that's something that excites you (and unashamedly for me, it is), then you'll have a good time (umm....in a non-sexual way) with the game. Although it may be somewhat short lived.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 10:15:44 PM »

"Just who in the hell do you think you are??!?!"
The first thing that popped into my head when I saw your avatar.

Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 10:18:12 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
"Just who in the hell do you think you are??!?!"
The first thing that popped into my head when I saw your avatar.

I'm just glad it wasn't what happened to Sean Micheals on Monday night! :shock:

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2006, 10:37:43 PM »

thanks (and yep, it is indeed McMahon btw)
 I beat the first level it said 2% complete, then when I beat the same level on hard it said 4% complete. Given that there's 4 difficulty levels, per level it means there's only 12.5 levels (hey, it's what the calculator said, don't blame me). :lol:

I read that the percentage actually isn't progress through the game but secondary achievements or something like that so it isn't an accurate indicator.

I believe there are only seven or eight levels.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2006, 10:38:40 PM »

Hmm. Still not here. Damn you gamefly /shakes fist!
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2006, 10:29:18 AM »

I rented this and played a bit tonight.  I cant believe it got the review scores it did.  So far I would give it a 6.

Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2006, 06:43:10 PM »

Ok, finished the game last night. My final thoughts.......

(No-real spoilers, aside from letting you know what gets unlocked)

The cut-scene at the end pissed me off (no, I'm not going to spoil anything), but it really looked like it was leading up to the next level and then......roll credits. I really couldn't care less about story lines in games (with the exception of 'Gun' which has some great twists), but I at least want to know the game is over before the credits roll.

It did unlock unlimited ammo for the 'hidden' weapons (the silver guns), and it was fun going back and tearing up the first level with unlimited rpg rounds, however this only becomes available in the difficulty levels you already beat, thus not giving much reason to go back and try them on the harder levels.......which will only unlock even harder levels  :roll:
I wish more games would take hints from Secret Weapons Over Normandy, after you beat the game, you can go back and take on the harder difficulty levels with upgraded planes if you choose.

Apparently, if I go back beat all the hard levels, and then all the Black Op difficulty levels here, I'll unlock the M16-A2, which is essentially an M-16 with a grenade launcher. But with unlimited rpg rounds already, who needs that? Please give me an extra level.....or something worthwhile at least.

There were 8 levels in total, some of the levels were actually pretty long, either the last or second last level took me an hour and a half to beat, but then again, I'm the type of player that likes to make sure every single enemy has been disposed of and every nook and cranny of a level has been searched to find any secrets. I'm sure it could've been done alot quicker if I was going for speed. Still, I wish there were more, but for $50 CDN on it's first day out, I had a feeling it wouldn't be too long (plus alot of people mentioned it here too  :wink: )

Some levels had an insane amount of destructibility, you'll find out a way to sneak around enemies and shoot them in the back
in the Asylum level that's downright fiendish!  :twisted: I absolutely love seeing how much destruction I can cause in games, I was not disappointed here at all.....even in the slightest.

I also really enjoyed learning about the different weapons, for instance, the uzi fires about the same speed as an MG42 from WWII and is very impressive at short range, but try to mow someone down at med-long range and it's not going to happen. I also really liked finding the supressors/silencers throughout the game and how they actually have an effect on the bullets. If the suppressor is on, your shots will be obviously be much quieter, but also less deadly, take it off and they'll be more effective, but alert everyone in the nearby vicinity. This adds some nice strategy to your attacks.

There are a couple of instances of re-occuring enemies, but not enough to ruin the game. Although this is one thing I despise, at least where it was done in the game, it almost made sense.

The lack of multiplayer doesn't bother me since so many games have become online only(don't really enjoy that) or that useless 1 player-per-screen lan crap. So, I guess I've become used to not having it anymore. But, I'm sure some multiplayer split screen Lan would greatly increase it's replay life for me.

Overall, I'm still glad I bought it, but had there been twice the amount of levels it could've been amazing. Here's hoping to a part 2........and one
 that lasts longer.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 12:17:18 AM »

Just finished.  Here are my stats on Normal

Game time: 6hrs56min
Bullets fired: 24,299
Enemies killed: 2,349
Headshots: 217

Not so hot on the headshots.  

Bottom line this game could have been so much more with just a few tweaks.  As it is I agree with Gamespot's 7 something.  Nothing more.  Will I play it again.  Some day but not any time soon.   Glad I did not buy it at under 7 hours.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2006, 12:41:48 AM »

Some levels had an insane amount of destructibility, you'll find out a way to sneak around enemies and shoot them in the back
in the Asylum level that's downright fiendish!  :twisted:

You frighten me!

And BTW, 2,349 enemies killed?  Is that some sort of record?  Man ALIVE that's a lot of enemies!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2006, 04:47:19 AM »

This game sounds like it would be perfect for a weekend rental or the $20 price point, but no way in hell will I pay full price for it.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2006, 01:10:19 PM »

Totally agree.  Either rent and beat it in two days or wait for $19.99 price, which I suspect will be very very soon.  I rented it from Blockbuster on a free rental coupon, so, I feel I got my money's worth.   Tongue

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2006, 05:04:33 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Totally agree.  Either rent and beat it in two days or wait for $19.99 price, which I suspect will be very very soon.  I rented it from Blockbuster on a free rental coupon, so, I feel I got my money's worth.   Tongue

This is my plan for the moment. Soon as it hits $20 somewhere I'll get it.

Right now? Nah.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: