http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 11:30:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Sigil (retro-style RPG) coming March 17  (Read 926 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:42:31 PM »

Since releasing one RPG a week for the next few months apparently wasn't enough, we're now getting two on March 17 - Suikoden : Tierkreis and Black Sigil : Blade of the Exiled.  Black Sigil is a DS RPG in the style of Chrono Trigger and FF6.  RPGamer has info and screenshots.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:33:21 PM »

Here's a big long trailer they put out for Black Sigil.  I'm invested in their publisher so I guess the only appropriate thing for me to do is to declare this "Game of the Forever" and encourage you to buy it three times over at least.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »

I'm interested in this, but will wait on some reviews.  What made FF VI and Chrono Trigger so fantastic were the epic stories and amazing characters, and you can't glean anything about those aspects from the Black Sigil trailers.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:24:31 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 30, 2009, 05:33:21 PM

Here's a big long trailer they put out for Black Sigil.  I'm invested in their publisher so I guess the only appropriate thing for me to do is to declare this "Game of the Forever" and encourage you to buy it three times over at least.

Watching this, I swear that this is a SNES port or something, as I recognize the graphical styles, effects, and animation details from other SNES games. Looks cool though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 03:29:43 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 30, 2009, 07:24:31 PM

Watching this, I swear that this is a SNES port or something, as I recognize the graphical styles, effects, and animation details from other SNES games. Looks cool though.

I think it originally started development as a GBA title so that isn't too surprising. 
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 31, 2009, 03:29:43 PM

Quote from: Destructor on January 30, 2009, 07:24:31 PM

I think it originally started development as a GBA title so that isn't too surprising. 

Actually I am amazed that no one else is raising a big stink, because a lot of those sprites looked like they were ripped right out of several Squareenix games from the SNES era.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 07:05:08 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 31, 2009, 04:29:43 PM

Actually I am amazed that no one else is raising a big stink, because a lot of those sprites looked like they were ripped right out of several Squareenix games from the SNES era.

The issue has been raised before.  The developers have said that everything in the game is their own work, although obviously inspired by the SNES-era RPGs.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 02:18:58 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 31, 2009, 07:05:08 PM

Quote from: Tebunker on January 31, 2009, 04:29:43 PM

The issue has been raised before.  The developers have said that everything in the game is their own work, although obviously inspired by the SNES-era RPGs.

I agree - I don't see any direct rips, but visually the game looks uncannily like any number of SNES titles.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 07:16:40 PM »

Did anyone every get this? I got it for dirt cheap over the weekend, $4.50 and have put about 1.5 hours in. The game is laboriously slow, and there is a lot of random battles that I seemingly cannot run away from. I am interested in playing more, but if someone has played through a lot of it and could give some good feedback as to keep plugging or not I would appreciate it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 07:27:27 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on May 12, 2010, 07:16:40 PM

Did anyone every get this? I got it for dirt cheap over the weekend, $4.50 and have put about 1.5 hours in. The game is laboriously slow, and there is a lot of random battles that I seemingly cannot run away from. I am interested in playing more, but if someone has played through a lot of it and could give some good feedback as to keep plugging or not I would appreciate it.

Great concept marred by bugs, slow combat, and ludicrously high encounter rates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: