http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 04:47:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Demo  (Read 1964 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2006, 11:04:19 PM »

I got it today on the OXM demo and what a piece of sh!t that demo disk is.  Everything on the disk plays perfectly EXCEPT the Black demo.  It tries to boot up and gets about half way through the EA logo and gets stuck like a broken record.  So, I wash it and put it back in and I get about 2 seconds into the actual game and again lock up and freeze city.  Got no further.  After trying 10 times I just gave up on that piece of crap. I read that someone on the Gamespy forums had similar issues with the demo.  Kept freezing up. I would not under any circumstances buy the magazine just to play that demo.  I think you might be wasting your money big time.  

Anyone know if there is a PS2 demo out there?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 11:27:08 PM »

That sucks.  This looks to be such a great game.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:50:25 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Anyone know if there is a PS2 demo out there?

There is indeed.  You get it for preordering.  If you don't feel like preordering you could try and talk your Gamespot/EB sales person into giving it to you anyway.

Very impressive demo but it has a stupid timer that will reset the demo after a few minutes.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 11:52:56 PM »

I would rather have it on the ps2 anyway, so, I think I will go a preorder it and then if I change my mind, I will just cancel the preorder.  Thanks.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 12:04:38 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
You get it for preordering.

Wait, wait, wait ... so, if you want to try out the game to decide whether or not you want to buy it, you have to buy it first? Who came up with that marketting ploy, Satan?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 12:16:59 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
You get it for preordering.

Wait, wait, wait ... so, if you want to try out the game to decide whether or not you want to buy it, you have to buy it first? Who came up with that marketting ploy, Satan?

That's been going on for quite a while, actually.  They used to send stores tons of demos to hand out for free, but a few years ago that changed.  I think the reason is to create a partnership with the magazine's that ship with demos because people will buy a magazine that has a demo they want when they wouldn't otherwise buy it.  It's a win-win scenario since the magazine get's more sales and the game maker get's their demo into the hands of a wide audience.  Making it a pre-order only scenario "rewards" those who reserve.

(I'm not saying I agree with this practice, just pointing out the logic behind it.)

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 12:20:08 AM »

I say preorder, get the demo, play it, go back in a few days later and cancel the preorder.  To preorder you were only out $5 anyway.  No big deal.  

But I do agree that demos ought to be free and for all.  My two cents.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 12:27:48 AM »

What else is on the demo disk?

TheMissingLink on PSN
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 12:32:30 AM »

Total Overdose for the xbox

Quake 4 multi and Condemned for the 360.   Not really worth it imo.   I only wanted Black cuz I have been waiting anxiously for this one for some time.  Really sucked to check the mail everyday and finally see that demo disk come in only to find it is unplayable.  Major suckage.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 03:06:47 AM »

It would probably take awhile, but won't they send you a new disk if yours is defective?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 11:33:51 PM »

"Black Demo" ... isn't that a Doom3 game? slywink

(Doom color palette= shades of blackness)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 12:09:12 AM »

Um, now this is really bizarre!  I just got my OXM yesterday - the cover says there's a Black playable demo (funny comment, Purge, btw!)... but there is none on the disc.  No title, no choice, no nuthin'... It simply does not show up anywhere on the disc. :shock:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 01:19:55 AM »

I really really want to try it, but I can't find it anywhere in my area anymore-well I could get the OXM but its expensive.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 01:49:32 AM »

I just got back from EB and they gave me the PS2 demo for nothin.  I just got done playing through it and from what little of the xbox version I saw I don't think the Xbox version looks any better at all.  The PS2 version played as smooth as butter and was every bit as explosive, violent, loud, and had as much debris as the vids.  My only negative would be that from the demo I got the impression that if all the game offered was what I just went through then it would get boring pretty quick.  Hopefully there is a compelling story to go with it.  I have heard zilch about that side of it myself.  

It's cool looking and has all the effects of a Burnout game, but seems kinda monotous to me.  Ofcourse, it is really hard to tell from a 10 minute chunk from somewhere within a level.  Who knows what story segment preceeded it.  

I am still looking forward to playing it big time and can't wait.  For the shooter lover out there I just don't see how you could not want to play it.  I personally will get it for the PS2 becuz I just love my slim PS2 and as I said I saw zilch of a difference.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 01:57:32 AM »

My only negative would be that from the demo I got the impression that if all the game offered was what I just went through then it would get boring pretty quick. Hopefully there is a compelling story to go with it. I have heard zilch about that side of it myself.

From what I've heard the story ain't much and there isn't much variety to the gameplay or level design.  Hope that's not the case because I shared your same concerns after playing the demo.  Sure is purty and things blow up great though.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 05:22:27 AM »

Um, now this is really bizarre! I just got my OXM yesterday - the cover says there's a Black playable demo (funny comment, Purge, btw!)... but there is none on the disc. No title, no choice, no nuthin'... It simply does not show up anywhere on the disc. :shock:

Um, mytocles, did you put it in an XBox or a 360?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 04:13:50 PM »

Um, mytocles, did you put it in an XBox or a 360?

Uh-oh, my brain bit me in the butt again! Imagine that - no don't!  :shock:

Of course I put it in the 360, lol!  Thanks Bullwinkle - good thing I have you folks looking after me, sheesh!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 05:03:52 PM »

No problem, mytocles.

Watch out for that tree...

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 05:28:40 PM »

Didn't you recognize me in those commercials where the guy walks into a metal pole?  (I was in disguise).  Pretty soon, someone's going to slap a helmet on my head...  :lol:

Now if I can remember which rooms my XBoxes are in - and how to open the disc drawer - and where I put the disc, why, I'll be able to check out how crappy that demo is! Now if I only knew why I was trying to do that in the first place... :shock:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 06:42:19 PM »

My only negative would be that from the demo I got the impression that if all the game offered was what I just went through then it would get boring pretty quick. Hopefully there is a compelling story to go with it. I have heard zilch about that side of it myself.

From what I've heard the story ain't much and there isn't much variety to the gameplay or level design.  Hope that's not the case because I shared your same concerns after playing the demo.  Sure is purty and things blow up great though.

All of that coupled with no multiplayer... I think I'm going to have to either rent or pass on this one.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 10:36:36 PM »

Yeah, usually when I play a demo of a game I am uber enthused about I play through the demo over and over and over.  Not this one. Once through, I'm done.  That says alot-for me at least.  I think I will merely rent, play through, and then move on, but I will most assuredly rent it.  Just too much explosive coolness not to.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 12:44:54 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"

All of that coupled with no multiplayer... I think I'm going to have to either rent or pass on this one.

I`m not sure where you heard all of that from :wink: , but check this out.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/black/news.html?sid=6144038

and this too,

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/686/686935p1.html

one more for ya...

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/black/681314p1.html

Now I haven`t played the game or the demo, which is really old from what I gather, but wow I`m keeping my eyes on this one...
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 04:28:26 PM »

I smell another Killzone...
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 04:33:36 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
I smell another Killzone...

Me to...........
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2006, 06:44:12 PM »

Well...my demo didn't work either.  Screeching sound, slow load, and then lockup.  The final better not be this way...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2006, 08:08:12 PM »

I tried to play the PS2 demo at a local game store but it was so dark I could tell what was going on and who was shooting at me.  Graphics looked pretty good.  I forgot how bad the PS2 controller is for FPS games and had a hard time moving and aiming at the same time.  Of course, the controller may have also been broken after years of game store abuse.  I think this one is still a rental for me.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2006, 10:11:39 PM »

I am still looking for a copy of the demo. I dont really want to pay 8 bucks for OXM with the demo disc, maybe I can still find it if I preorder somewhere.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2006, 12:32:11 AM »

I, too, get the screech and lockup.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: