http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 03:31:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioware Launches 'NWN Premium Content' Store  (Read 3354 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2004, 10:58:20 PM »

...and I can't say I'm impressed.  At all.

NWN Module Store Link

Each of the modules costs approximately $1 per hour of maximum gameplay.  The $8 lists "5-8 hours of gameplay."  The $5 module lists "2-3 hours," but comes with a 'repolished' (patched) version of the first Witch's Wake module.

Sounds like a total ripoff to me, what with all the excellent free fan content out there right now...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 11:31:22 PM »

If I had the extra cash to fling around on games, I'd go buy something new like Rome: Total War or even the NWN expansions which I'd like to get eventually.  As it is, I'm just a stereotypical poor college student.

Who reads these anyway?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 11:55:32 PM »

The boxed expansions were 20-25 hours and cost $30, so the price is in line with those.  If these are the same quality, I wouldn't mind buying them.  I doubt I'll ever get to them, though, as I'm still playing SoU.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 12:15:36 AM »

I saw that..how lame. getting more greedy every year these companies are.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 12:19:38 AM »

As I see it, if in the future Bioware offers a 'package deal' of, say, 5 or 6 modules for $20, I might buy it.  I find it very, very hard to justify paying $8 for an evening's worth of content, though, especially when I can download free modules with several times that amount of gameplay for free, or spend that $8 on bargain-bin classics.

Frankly, I think Bioware is overpricing content (indeed, some of the content is fan-made but Bioware 'polished'!) for a two year old engine that looked dated on release.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 12:21:38 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
The boxed expansions were 20-25 hours and cost $30, so the price is in line with those.
Well, you have to recall that those expansions also added new content in the form of playable classes, monsters, weapons, feats, and graphics.

If Bioware implemented new classes, 3.5e rules, or other engine updates in these pay-to-play releases, I'd give them serious thought.  As it stands, I can't help but laugh.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
jcompton
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 03:27:34 AM »

It's a natural move for Bioware, as NWN1 reaches the end of its retail life, to extract a little extra value.

And at the same time, since the only competition for mods is "free" (nobody else can sell them), it's not surprising to see that maybe the price/value ratio isn't stupendous.

"t's a testament to the determined RPG fraternity that a number of Baldur's Gate II mods have been successfully produced. The best can be found at pocketplane.net." - PC Gamer UK
Riker's Beard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 03:30:27 PM »

I really do not see this as some kind of nefarious cash grab.  As I see it, what they are offering is professionally done modules with new voice overs and a high level of polish, and that they are essentially just covering the cost of having their employees work on it.  I see it as continuing to contribute to the community of their fans AS THEY HAVE ALWAYS done.  

You can argue that there is a lot of free content out there.  Granted. I've played a lot of them.  With the exception of 2 or 3 REALLY excellent mods, I've found the vast majority uninspired and amateurish.  The field between the Adam Millers of the NWN community and the majority of mod producers out there is quite wide.  So if I have to pay $8 for a well produced, polished, professional level mod, I'm all over that action.
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 03:54:21 PM »

Yeah, I pointed this out ages ago on Gonegold (RIP).  Basically Bioware is hoping that they can make enough from this to continue to fund the Liveteam (who are the team that provides the NWN patches which often contain new content - 1.64 patch came out a few weeks ago with new monsters, animations, etc).

NWN1 is pretty old and to expect Bioware to keep providing the same level of support that it has been for free is unrealistic.  This is not a "cash grab", it's a means of funding this support.

That said, I too won't be buying anything unless it's of topnotch quality - considering all the free stuff that's out there, but I do believe Bioware knows this and will make sure that these modules are worth the cash.
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 05:30:50 PM »

I read about this back when it was just an idea being kicked around and if the product is good then fine with me.  If they have the depth of Witches' Wake (different actions and conversations based on alignment and classes) then it is an easy purchase.  

This is probably also a test to see how well their digital delivery systems work before extending it to newer games.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 05:58:45 PM »

It does look like a cashgrab. Look at Epic for a model of a company that provides free content consistently. Why can't Bioware provide little modules free of charge?
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 06:06:29 PM »

Prolly because alot more effort goes into making a 2-6 hour module then say a DM map.

morlac00 on PSN
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 06:21:10 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
It does look like a cashgrab. Look at Epic for a model of a company that provides free content consistently. Why can't Bioware provide little modules free of charge?

Bioware has done an excellent job of providing for a community.  Neverwinter Nights is over 2 years old and a brand new patch with new monsters just came out.  When was the last patch or free maps for Unreal Tournament 2003 which came out 3 months after NWN? April 2003.

Bioware needs some money in order to pay for supporting for the game with new patches and the like.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 06:30:33 PM »

*shrug*  You know..this doesn't seem so bad to me.  Now, I'm used to shelling out anywhere from 8-15 dollars for a single adventure module in a FLGS.  My question is, what stops me from giving it to my friends and then going and playing it multiplayer?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
egrudzin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 03:32:01 AM »

The pay modules are linked to your CD key somehow.  Your friends would have to be using the same CD key as you.  They also access the Internet every time you run one to make sure you're legit.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 03:41:03 AM »

There is not any UT2003 stuff because theres a whole new game UT2004 out.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 05:27:02 AM »

Quote from: "dangerballs"
Quote from: "Rage"

Bioware has done an excellent job of providing for a community.  Neverwinter Nights is over 2 years old and a brand new patch with new monsters just came out.  When was the last patch or free maps for Unreal Tournament 2003 which came out 3 months after NWN? April 2003.

Bioware needs some money in order to pay for supporting for the game with new patches and the like.

There were several community bonus packs for 2k3, but people quickly learned of 2k4, and waited for it for the most part.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2004, 05:52:48 AM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"

The point that I was trying to make is it is impressive that Bioware is still even paying attention to the game.  They have a lot of games coming up and they have released a big one since.  Not many companies still support two-year old games, except maybe Blizzard.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2004, 08:35:04 AM »

The point that I was trying to make is it is impressive that Bioware is still even paying attention to the game.  They have a lot of games coming up and they have released a big one since.  Not many companies still support two-year old games, except maybe Blizzard.

Dude, epic supports UT2k4 like no other. Where do you get your information?
IceBear
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2004, 10:49:26 AM »

Quote from: "jersoc"

Dude, epic supports UT2k4 like no other. Where do you get your information?

You're missing his point.  He's saying Epic isn't supporting *UT2K3* anymore while Bioware is still supporting NWN and they both came out about roughly the same time, and Bioware has released another title since as well, as well as working on several new ones.  

NWN is still getting support from Bioware, right now, that many games don't get while they're less than 3 months old.  That level of support can't be cheap and Bioware can't be getting much income from NWN anymore as most people who would have bought it, did so two years ago.  Bioware is hoping that these modules help to offset some of that cost.  That's all this store is about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2004, 01:51:47 PM »

Yeah, considering what voice-overs cost and the opportunity cost of having Bioware employees working on modules while they still have Jade Empire, Dragon Age, an unannounced title using Unreal 3, and consulting on KOTOR II and NWN 2, I can't see much profit being made off of a $5 cost to the player.  

I've enjoyed many of the NWN modules I've played so much I would happily pay much more than $5 for them.

Also, this provides further incentive for a community that may start to wane given the already tremendous content out there and the gradual shift in focus to NWN 2.  The idea that enterprising mod makers might have their modules selected by Bioware to be turned into a professional-level product must provide some level of additional motivation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: