http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 05:49:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioshock technical problems for 360  (Read 695 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2007, 03:22:06 AM »

So I've been playing Xbox360 Bioshock for a couple weeks without trouble. I'm trucking along, get to Fort Frolic, etc etc.

Tonight I load up and start playing, and I notice a VERY OBVIOUS pause every 5 to 10 seconds. I mean enough to freeze the screen for about a second or two. I turned off my Xbox 360 and turned it back on -- still get the problem. I went to Dashboard and cleared some space, made sure I had nothing downloading, and went back in. Still got the problem.

What's going on here? Any ideas?

icon_cry
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 03:34:18 AM »

It happened to me after a game update was installed,  this solution was posted in a earlier thread

Llevine says:  (on the cult of rapture forums)

Solution for the XBox360 "game pauses every 10-15 seconds" problem

Problem:

After playing the game for a long time (on the XBox 360 only), the game begins to "hitch" or "pause" slightly every 10-15 seconds. The problem does not go away if you restore a savegame, start a new game, or reboot the XBox 360.

Solution/Workaround:

This seems to be a problem with the hard drive caching system on in the XBox 360 system software, and we are working with Microsoft to identify a solution for this issue. We have confirmed that the hitching goes away if you clear the hard drive cache.

To clear the hard drive cache, you must hold down both the RB and LB gamepad buttons while the game is starting. This must be done IMMEDIATELY after the console is rebooted (or the game is launched from the dashboard) and the buttons must only be released AFTER the red 2K Games logo appears.

So do that and your shuttering/freezing should be solved.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 03:36:19 AM »

did you download the game patch?

if so, you need to clear the game's cache...like how people had to do with Oblivion too

before the game even loads (as the disc is spinning up), start holding the two bumper buttons down until the main Bioshock screen
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 03:42:29 AM »

Yes I did, and thank you this is the solution I probably need.  I'll give it a go.

thumbsup
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 02:41:25 PM »

If the cache clear doesn't work, you can alternatively remove all the downloaded patches with some wacky command combinations from the Maintenance blade (which unfortunately is the route I'd gone, since I didn't realize the cache-clearing trick existed when the bug hit me)

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 06:23:23 PM »

So are there any real issues with the patch, or did everyone just notice the shudder at the same time as the patch? Because i have been avoiding the update just to avoid this issue.

LiveTAG: happydog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 07:30:09 PM »

Quote from: happydog on September 20, 2007, 06:23:23 PM

So are there any real issues with the patch, or did everyone just notice the shudder at the same time as the patch? Because i have been avoiding the update just to avoid this issue.

The devs have pretty much stated that the patch does cause the stuttering (and that clearing the cache fixes the stuttering).

Basically we're being used as beta testers. Again.

Makes me glad I have it for the PC.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 12:38:29 AM »

uh, there is no problem whatsoever with the patch, as long as you clear the cache just once

it's not hard
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 02:37:29 PM »

Don't forget too, there were always two different "clear the cache" solutions for the XBox.  One was to hold down any button, usually described using the "A" button, while the game was loading, up to a certain point. (I'm an idiot, could never remember when it was safe to let it go, so I just held it down forever. That works too, btw.)  I'm guessing that was the same fix as holding the two bumpers down.

There was another, more complicated procedure, however, that would also remove (I think) all updates to the XBox and games... so if you go surfing for clear cache, be careful. The one that has you go through the Dashboard and do X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X - is the one that you should never run unless you know what you're doing, lol. I came very close to doing this one day, and I can only imagine FFXI with all of it's updates removed... or downloading them all over again!  icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »

I have had nothing but smooth sailing with this game and it has been amazing. I have heard the patch works well though for tech issues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: