http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 03:57:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioshock = System Shock 2 2007 Edition (NO SPOILERS)  (Read 3389 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:13:25 PM »

So I am enjoying Bioshock, but really, all it is is a reskinned version of System Shock II with a different setting and story.

The mechanics are almost identical: corpse searching, hacking, modifications to weapons, the diaries, the enemies, the guiding voice, etc.

Now this isn't a bad thing at all as System Shock was one of the greatest FPS games ever (and only played by PC gamers <and not necessarily a large contingency of them>) so it's great that Looking Glass Irrational Games 2k Boston/Australia is finally getting some popular face time...but it feels like I've been to Rapture before...only it was a space ship.

Anyone else see the comparison?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:23:25 PM »

I agree with you.  But didn't you kind of expect that given that it is called Bioshock and is by basically the same developer.  I just wish it had the co-op multi player that SS II had. 

Incidentally both the original System Shock and Terra Nova done in the Unreal 3 engine would both be great games if 2K Boston is looking for their next project.  icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 12:31:36 PM »

Terra Nova! Damn, I loved that game.

Back on topic: duh.  Tongue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:36:53 PM »

Yeah, several hours into the game and that's pretty much how I feel.  It's not grabbing me as much as I expected.  There's very little that I can point to as being wrong but I can't shake the feeling that it's almost *too* much like SS2.  Which is kind of weird since it's been eight years so it shouldn't bug me but it does. 

Hope it grabs me more tonight but right now I'm kind of bummed that I don't think it's the greatest game EVAR!!!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 01:16:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 22, 2007, 12:36:53 PM

Yeah, several hours into the game and that's pretty much how I feel.  It's not grabbing me as much as I expected.  There's very little that I can point to as being wrong but I can't shake the feeling that it's almost *too* much like SS2.  Which is kind of weird since it's been eight years so it shouldn't bug me but it does. 

Hope it grabs me more tonight but right now I'm kind of bummed that I don't think it's the greatest game EVAR!!!

<........Same boat.......Not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.....Everything is there to make it a classic......except that "classic" feeling........Only at Neptune's Bounty, so very early yet.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 01:47:39 PM »

Oh, I definitely agree with you here. It really feels like System Shock (just not quite as futuristic feeling and your weapons never break). All the features that made it feel so great (the whole alone feeling yet you have somebody generally watching your back, very open ended game, hacking, 'respawning' enemies that makes sense, the recordings, etc) are in the game.

I'm glad that System Shock has finally gotten the rap it deserves. People are buying this game in floods!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 01:54:16 PM »

I would happily pay money for even a version of Terra Nova that works on my computer.  I've had a copy for many, many years now that I've never gotten to work on any of my PCs.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 02:46:32 PM »

I definitely felt it was very System Shock-like, down to the SHODAN style characters (there's a PA announcement woman who sounds VERY similar).  But I do find that most people who play this and think "System Shock 2 all over again" haven't played that game in a loooong time.  Behold the wonder that is System Shock 2!

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 02:54:12 PM »

Wow System Shock 2 never looked that bad on my computer.  Especially not with the hi-res models!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 02:54:54 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 22, 2007, 02:46:32 PM

I definitely felt it was very System Shock-like, down to the SHODAN style characters (there's a PA announcement woman who sounds VERY similar).  But I do find that most people who play this and think "System Shock 2 all over again" haven't played that game in a loooong time.  Behold the wonder that is System Shock 2!

I'm not talking graphics though, obviously. But the mechanics are almost entirely the same.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 02:58:28 PM »

I definitely felt it was very System Shock-like, down to the SHODAN style characters (there's a PA announcement woman who sounds VERY similar).  But I do find that most people who play this and think "System Shock 2 all over again" haven't played that game in a loooong time. 

I haven't played SS2 since it's release but at that point it's graphics were pretty damn good to me so I don't find Bioshock anymore creepy or effective now than SS2 did for me in 1999.  Indeed, for some reason right now I'm finding Bioshock to be less effective for some reason I haven't nailed down. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 03:03:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 22, 2007, 02:58:28 PM

I definitely felt it was very System Shock-like, down to the SHODAN style characters (there's a PA announcement woman who sounds VERY similar).  But I do find that most people who play this and think "System Shock 2 all over again" haven't played that game in a loooong time. 

I haven't played SS2 since it's release but at that point it's graphics were pretty damn good to me so I don't find Bioshock anymore creepy or effective now than SS2 did for me in 1999.  Indeed, for some reason right now I'm finding Bioshock to be less effective for some reason I haven't nailed down. 

Ditto. I AM enjoying Bioshock but I'm wondering if our feelings are solely based on the been there done that sense that we have.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 03:23:06 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 22, 2007, 01:47:39 PM

very open ended game

I haven't hit that part yet- it's been fairly linear so far up to just after the Surgeon and the Choice.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 03:24:19 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 22, 2007, 03:03:59 PM

Ditto. I AM enjoying Bioshock but I'm wondering if our feelings are solely based on the been there done that sense that we have.

Yeah, maybe I just need to get farther to find out where things really diverge but for now, up to the beginning of Neptune's Bounty, it's all eerily reminiscent:

Spoiler for Hiden:
  Something really bad happened not too long before you arrive, you listen to audio logs from various people about the horrid event, you see "ghosts" of some of these people, you are guided by someone who may/may not be your enemy, you next encounter a female who gives you different information.

Even some of the enemy designs see right from the SS2 handbook- everybody oooh'd and aaah'd over the baby carriage scene but all I could think of was that it was "Oh, look a Midwife!". 

And right now I have to say that I find the general combat too frenetic and unsatisfying.  Maybe it would be better on the PC with mouse/keyboard but I usually don't have any issues with console shooters.  I'm going to try and up the sensitivity tonight and see if that helps. 

It's overly cynical and probably not accurate, but right now I can't help but wonder if some of the reviewers overly prone to hyperbole ever played SS2 because I think Bioshock would probably be a much bigger revelation if you hadn't. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 03:42:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 22, 2007, 02:54:54 PM

I'm not talking graphics though, obviously. But the mechanics are almost entirely the same.
But saying the visuals don't make a BIG difference would be disingenuous.  I'm looking at it from the opposite direction -> going back to play System Shock 2 is a shock to the system (HAHAAHAHAHAHA) because it unfortunately hasn't aged too well.  I think there are visual upgrade mods out there that help out, but wow, what a difference eight years makes.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 04:08:36 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 22, 2007, 03:24:19 PM

It's overly cynical and probably not accurate, but right now I can't help but wonder if some of the reviewers overly prone to hyperbole ever played SS2 because I think Bioshock would probably be a much bigger revelation if you hadn't. 

you can't blame reviewers these days if they haven't played SS2.  I don't have a problem with reviews that use only modern-day games for comparisons...because fact of the matter is, the vast majority of their audience will only know about those

personally, I am loving Bioshock like crazy.  even though I played SS2 when it first came out, and I still consider it in one of my top 5 FPSes of all-time (no it's not a freakin RPG, I don't get why people got in a fuss over thinking that)...I am not getting a jaded feeling of 'been there done that' at all when playing Bioshock.  I think you're technically analyzing things too much kevin =P
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 04:13:20 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 22, 2007, 03:42:38 PM

But saying the visuals don't make a BIG difference would be disingenuous.  I'm looking at it from the opposite direction -> going back to play System Shock 2 is a shock to the system (HAHAAHAHAHAHA) because it unfortunately hasn't aged too well.  I think there are visual upgrade mods out there that help out, but wow, what a difference eight years makes.

I bet I could go back and play SS2 right now and still be blown away by it graphics hiccups or no. I played MGS1 just last year and it still kicked my butt.

Totally accurate.  But as said above, you can't fault them for that.

Also, I'm not very far in the game and I just want to make the point that what I've played so far is extremely well done and I can't wait to play it again tonight.

It's just all very I've seen this before (but not meant as much of negative comment as it sounds).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 04:17:19 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on August 22, 2007, 04:08:36 PM

I am not getting a jaded feeling of 'been there done that' at all when playing Bioshock.  I think you're technically analyzing things too much kevin =P

No doubt icon_wink  Just trying to figure out why I'm not as head over heels for this game as most seem to be, especially since I too would rank SS2 as one of the greats (at least up until the Body of the Many). Hopefully tonight's play session will turn my opinion around.  (For the record I'm liking it just fine, but I'm not LOVING it )

And I'm not "blaming" the reviewers, but it's a question of context.  It reminds of some of the guys on the 1Up show raving about stuff in Mass Effect as being new and exciting only to have someone point out "uh, guys Bioware was doing that stuff back in Baldur's Gate 2". 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 04:19:18 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 22, 2007, 01:54:16 PM

I would happily pay money for even a version of Terra Nova that works on my computer.  I've had a copy for many, many years now that I've never gotten to work on any of my PCs.
Have you tried DOSBox?  Last time I tried it (around version 0.65) it ran Terra Nova pretty well.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 04:23:10 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 22, 2007, 04:17:19 PM

Quote from: KePoW on August 22, 2007, 04:08:36 PM

I am not getting a jaded feeling of 'been there done that' at all when playing Bioshock.  I think you're technically analyzing things too much kevin =P

No doubt icon_wink  Just trying to figure out why I'm not as head over heels for this game as most seem to be, especially since I too would rank SS2 as one of the greats (at least up until the Body of the Many). Hopefully tonight's play session will turn my opinion around.  (For the record I'm liking it just fine, but I'm not LOVING it )

I gotcha, there's nothing wrong with that feeling

I wouldn't rate it a perfect 10 myself or anything...but probably around a 9.5 or at lowest 9.0 so far
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 04:32:56 PM »

Yep, it even creeps me out the same way!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 05:21:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2007, 03:23:06 PM

Quote from: Destructor on August 22, 2007, 01:47:39 PM

very open ended game
I haven't hit that part yet- it's been fairly linear so far up to just after the Surgeon and the Choice.

Well, you're still restrained to a point in moving forward, but how you get there isn't exactly a straight line.

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 22, 2007, 03:24:19 PM

You know, that's a very good point IMHO. The game in points REALLY does remind me of System Shock, so much that I have the occasional feeling that I've done this before. However, I do have to say - I have NO problem with that at all. System Shock 2 absolutely rocked in every way, and BioShock does the exact same thing to me. I'm glad to see a sequel after all of these years.

And I gotta get DosBox up and running on my PC. I wanna play System Shock 2 again...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 22, 2007, 04:13:20 PM

I bet I could go back and play SS2 right now and still be blown away by it graphics hiccups or no. I played MGS1 just last year and it still kicked my butt.
It's a false dichotomy to set up graphics and gameplay on opposing ends of the spectrum and forcing a choice.  It's all part of the same tasty soup.  You could indeed be blown away by the gameplay, but the game as a whole suffers from age.  And my main point is that this one suffers particularly bad, and that most people's visions of it are rose-tinted.  It's pretty damn ugly these days, and it's also one of my favorite games of all time.
unbreakable
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 05:59:11 PM »

I think some people have less of an eye candy requirement than others.

Heck, I can still play text and ASCII games, so the gameplay is more important.  But not everyone is like me; some people need the visuals.  Some people really get into game music, too, which is something I entirely ignore.

I just replayed SS2 about 2-3 years ago, so it's all good for me.  I'm not sure I could go back to System Shock... but maybe I could.  It would be a fun retro experiment.

I really, really wish someone could remake both SS and SS2 using Bioshock, but it would probably either get a cease and desist or just suffer from the modders getting bored and not finishing it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 22, 2007, 05:59:11 PM

I just replayed SS2 about 2-3 years ago, so it's all good for me.  I'm not sure I could go back to System Shock... but maybe I could.  It would be a fun retro experiment.

That's an excellent example.  Given the aged graphics, my gut feeling is that the core gameplay has survived the past eight years relatively intact.  Single player FPS's just haven't evolved that much in the interim.  Meanwhile I don't think I could go back to SS1 now given the huge advance in FPS interfaces just from 1995 to SS2's release in 1999.  Hell, I tried to go back to SS1 in 1999 while playing the sequel and couldn't do it.  As much as a landmark game as it was, I think SS1 aged far more in four years than SS2 has in eight. 

Or another example, while playing Persona 3 I've gone back and been playing a bit of Persona 2.  A lot of Persona 2 still holds up wonderfully- the graphics, storyline, characters, and even some of the gameplay concepts but, man, the actual combat interface for that game is awful now, to the point where I find it unplayable.  But I can still play a Final Fantasy game from the same era without issue because the core combat mechanics and interface have held up much better. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 06:58:48 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 22, 2007, 05:55:00 PM

Quote from: ATB on August 22, 2007, 04:13:20 PM

It's a false dichotomy to set up graphics and gameplay on opposing ends of the spectrum and forcing a choice.  It's all part of the same tasty soup.  You could indeed be blown away by the gameplay, but the game as a whole suffers from age.  And my main point is that this one suffers particularly bad, and that most people's visions of it are rose-tinted.  It's pretty damn ugly these days, and it's also one of my favorite games of all time.

I was blown away by the gameplay in MGS and as a result the graphics didn't bother me.  Sure they're all a part of the same game, but one is infinitely more important than the other, imo.

Let's pick a game at random...say...I dunno. Fallout.  You go back and play that and it's the character development that draws you in and where the story goes.  Who cares if the rats look like grey blobs?  Now could someone, say you, make a game today, let's say, Fallout...3 and release it with FO1 graphics and be successful? No. The bar has moved.  However, 10 years from now, if FO3 is as epic as FO1 was people will still be playing it for the story and the graphics won't matter one bit.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 07:01:50 PM »

I am not sure what you expected ATB (surprise surprise). Its a "Shock" game, its by the same guys for the most part, and its a spiritual successor. Yes, I agree with your observation-the basic 3-4 gameplay mechanics are pretty much exactly the same as System Shock 2-and that is fantastic. Those gameplay elements were innovative fun, and interesting back then, and they still are. The game has just as much atmosphere, story, but with an even better setting, insane graphics, and great combat.

Sorry you aren't enjoying it as much as I am KMG-I figured this one would hit the same chord for you.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 07:04:33 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 22, 2007, 07:01:50 PM

Sorry you aren't enjoying it as much as I am KMG-I figured this one would hit the same chord for you.

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed too.  But I'm still early (only just reached Neptune's Bounty) so there is plenty of game left to bring me around.  But if you told me a week ago that I would have been seriously considering stopping Bioshock to play Persona 3, I wouldn't have believed you. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 07:26:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 22, 2007, 07:04:33 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 22, 2007, 07:01:50 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of bummed too.  But I'm still early (only just reached Neptune's Bounty) so there is plenty of game left to bring me around.  But if you told me a week ago that I would have been seriously considering stopping Bioshock to play Persona 3, I wouldn't have believed you. 

Yeah...I just don't understand-because to me, just objectively looking at the game, you combine the sameish features of SS2, which were all fairly innovative at the time, and to me still are innovative and fun, with jaw-dropping graphics and a creepy, fascinating setting-and I figure it is something almost any shooter fan would appreciate-knowing your tastes I really am doubley (or tripley if thats a word) surprised. Let us/me know whatcha think as you keep going.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 07:34:40 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 22, 2007, 06:58:48 PM

I was blown away by the gameplay in MGS and as a result the graphics didn't bother me.  Sure they're all a part of the same game, but one is infinitely more important than the other, imo.

Let's pick a game at random...say...I dunno. Fallout.  You go back and play that and it's the character development that draws you in and where the story goes.  Who cares if the rats look like grey blobs?  Now could someone, say you, make a game today, let's say, Fallout...3 and release it with FO1 graphics and be successful? No. The bar has moved.  However, 10 years from now, if FO3 is as epic as FO1 was people will still be playing it for the story and the graphics won't matter one bit.
Well, "people" would still be playing it, but people by and large would have moved on and not be willing to go back.  I'm happy that you're able to go back and put aside the visuals and still enjoy those games, but my argument would be that you are more an exception than the rule. 

But now I'm kinda tired of pushing this off-topic.  Hey, have you noticed Bioshock is a lot like System Shock 2?  icon_cool
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:42:31 PM by kathode » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2007, 07:45:15 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 22, 2007, 07:26:09 PM

Yeah...I just don't understand-because to me, just objectively looking at the game, you combine the sameish features of SS2, which were all fairly innovative at the time, and to me still are innovative and fun, with jaw-dropping graphics and a creepy, fascinating setting-and I figure it is something almost any shooter fan would appreciate-knowing your tastes I really am doubley (or tripley if thats a word) surprised. Let us/me know whatcha think as you keep going.

But what you are describing there for me is the equivalent of a SS2 remake and as cool as that would be, the experience isn't going to be better to me than SS2 was in 1999.  Right now I'm waiting to see Bioshock give me something new and unique that I didn't experience in SS2 and that hasn't happened yet (again still early in the game though).  The setting and themes are certainly unique but I've known about that for at least a year so it's lost a lot of impact for me and so far the game hasn't done anything yet with the premise but I know that will change. 

To put it another way, if the game was transplanted over into a space station and called System Shock 3, I'd say "Man, this game is really good but System Shock 2 remains far and away the best of the series."  But that's all with the caveat that it's only after 3.5-4 hours of play.     
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2007, 09:02:42 PM »

I tried playing System Shock in about 1999, and... the graphics were simply too bad. It was hard to figure out what was happening.

PSN ID: EduardoX
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2007, 09:25:13 PM »

I've only played for about 2 hours, but so far it isn't creeping me out nearly as much as System Shock 2 did. I think I've identified why; the sound. IIRC SS2 was one of the 1st games to use EAX2 audio and they used it to amazing effect. I remember slowly proceding through halls in SS2 straining to hear the sound of those horrible psycho monkeys and mutants. I'm finding that BioShock relies much more on visuals than sound. The visual models of the enemies are definitely very creepy, but they don't quite create the terrifying atmosphere that SS2's sound did.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007, 09:35:56 PM »

One other thing to remember is that very few people actually bought and played SS2.  I was under the impression that it was a cult hit but not a popular retail hit so much of Bioshock will be "new" to a lot of players.  Either way I've been waiting for SS3 for a long time and this is perfect.  I wouldn't rate it a 10 either but 9.0 at the very least (IMO).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2007, 09:41:24 PM »

Quote from: ericb on August 22, 2007, 09:35:56 PM

One other thing to remember is that very few people actually bought and played SS2.  I was under the impression that it was a cult hit but not a popular retail hit so much of Bioshock will be "new" to a lot of players.  Either way I've been waiting for SS3 for a long time and this is perfect.  I wouldn't rate it a 10 either but 9.0 at the very least (IMO).

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at earlier about the reviews.  Someone like Tom Chick has certainly played and loved both, but I'd be willing to bet that most of the reviewers for console-centric outlets (ie most these days) probably never actually played SS2. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2007, 09:48:03 PM »

Bioshock may as well be considered a sequel, and like other sequels shouldn't be docked for having similar gameplay mechanics as it's predecessors. I don't recall seeing God of War 2 or Persona 3 being flagged because of similarities with the previous iterations, nor do I expect it with Metroid 3.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 10:11:43 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 22, 2007, 09:48:03 PM

Bioshock may as well be considered a sequel, and like other sequels shouldn't be docked for having similar gameplay mechanics as it's predecessors. I don't recall seeing God of War 2 or Persona 3 being flagged because of similarities with the previous iterations, nor do I expect it with Metroid 3.

I agree, and in virtually every aspect Bioshock is a very perfected System Shock 2. Hell...left unpatched, SS2 was prone to some nasty UI bugs. Relative to their respective times of release I do feel the sound was superior in SS2, but it's a very moot point and doesn't diminish the fact that Bioshock's sound is kick ass compared to 99% of everything currently out their.

Unfortunately for MP3, because the most significant difference between it and it's prequels is the control mechanic. I'm fully expecting it's play mechanics to be put under an electron microscope.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 10:30:48 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 22, 2007, 10:11:43 PM

I agree, and in virtually every aspect Bioshock is a very perfected System Shock 2. Hell...left unpatched, SS2 was prone to some nasty UI bugs. Relative to their respective times of release I do feel the sound was superior in SS2, but it's a very moot point and doesn't diminish the fact that Bioshock's sound is kick ass compared to 99% of everything currently out their.

Unfortunately for MP3, because the most significant difference between it and it's prequels is the control mechanic. I'm fully expecting it's play mechanics to be put under an electron microscope.

as it should be.  as it was with resident evil 4.  and the godfather.  and twilight princess.  in essence, every wii game with a non-wii counterpart is under the microscope.  until every wii developer gets the controls down pat, the controls are suspect. 

i miss the suspense from ss2 most of all.  if you took a moment to work on a weapon or hack a station, you had to be careful that you weren't found, as it was very possible for a mutant to find and attack you.  it was something you didn't get from other games.  plus, you could be found pretty much anywhere.  crew quarters weren't inherently safe just because the door shut behind you. 

i'm not getting that feeling here.  if i clear an area and stop in a corner to hack a safe, i don't feel the hairs on my neck tingle because i think a wrench is being raised to my head.  if hacking didn't "pause" the action, it would be different. 

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 10:35:28 PM »

People are being way to dismissive of Bioshock. So what if its similar to SS 2? That still makes it way diffrent than 99% of the crap that gets released these days. People gawk over Call of Duty 4 when its going to be the same as the other 100 WWII/military FPS they have played over the last 10 years excpet with better graphics.

Also its a massive improvement in one big area over SS2. The combat. Its way better in the core FPS apspects than SS2 which was very weak in that area.

People are becoming so cynical these days...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:36 PM »

Um, have you played Persona 3 and Persona 2?  The games are dramatically different. 

Also, we'll know in a week, but I fully expect Metroid Prime 3 to be docked for being too similar to it's predecessors. 

Plus, there's a fine line between remake and sequel.  Bioshock is uncomfortably close to the former for me right now but I'm going to refrain from saying more until I get in another good night's play.  Plus, I probably need to be bow out anyway before I get lynched for being a Bioshock "hater" (even though I like the game very much) Tongue
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: