http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:17:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioshock pc review...pc better  (Read 16158 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 19, 2008, 05:18:36 PM »

Yeah I tried with the DX10 stuff on, and it worked fine on me HP system; but it seemed to knock the frame rate slightly without really making any visual difference I could see so I turned it off. I definitely want to get Portal, but wasn't interested in the rest of the Orange Box (only because I suck at team shooters, and HL2's engine makes me motion sick - hoping Portal's different style won't cause that).

I'm blabbing also so people see you don't need a $2g, $3g, $4g system to get good, playable frame rates on these things. Crysis might be another matter.  Tongue Not that $1,159 is pocket change, mind you, but I paid $1,999 for a Pentium 100 in 1995, and I think it was obsolete in a year. This I can better stomach, and I'm hoping it's at least marginally more future proof.  icon_lol

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2008, 08:53:29 PM »

I love Bioshock. Im now going into ryans office. It plays good for me but it is turned down. I wish I could play it maxed and see it like it was meant to be seen.

Also I wish whenI madea Big Daddy my buddy he was a little more protective. Ill hide behind him and get shot or he'll get shot yet he  will still stand there then one day decide to go kill them..finally.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
SwampIrish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2008, 12:08:41 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 19, 2008, 05:18:36 PM

HL2's engine makes me motion sick - hoping Portal's different style won't cause that

I have had a few motion-sickness episodes in HL2 but it all has to do with the view angle (which can be adjusted).  I can't remember exactly what my setting is but I definitely fixed it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2008, 12:24:37 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 19, 2008, 05:18:36 PM

HL2's engine makes me motion sick - hoping Portal's different style won't cause that).

err.. keep a barf bag handy  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 24, 2008, 01:04:41 AM »

Arrrgh!

After switching to XP mode to get sound, then DX9 mode to stop random crashes I'm now in love with this game and it's played great... until I get to Fort Frolic.  I couldn't get it to work at all when it first tried to load.  It'd start to load and then I'd get the message "Bioshock has stopped working".  I upgraded my Nvidia 8800GT drivers to the latest and it finally worked.  But now I'm getting random crashes when I try to save, which results in losing my quicksave if I happen to be quick saving.

I've tried turning off "High Detail Shaders" which I read someplace might fix the problem, but the problem continues.  What's really annoying too, is that every time it crashes ALL the settings revert back to default.  The resolution, graphic settings, custom key mappings, mouse sensitivity, etc., all need to be reset back to how I like them.

Damn shame that a game this great is giving me so many damn problems.  Anyone else run into this problem?  Any advice on how to fix it so I can finish?

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 24, 2008, 01:42:27 AM »

I hated that it didn't save my settings on crashes. I finally got past my startup crashes and it didn't crash again till the other day. I was in the little sisters nursery watching them color and decided to open a crate in there and it just dumped me. Haven't been back yet to see if it was random or that crate. I think Im near the end but not sure.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 24, 2008, 01:47:47 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that there's something simple you can do to preserve your settings in case of a crash.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2008, 03:24:26 AM »

Thanks to Bioshock, I finally worked up the courage to read Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. Heady stuff but surprisingly very accessible. And of course now I appreciate Bioshock even more. A simply brilliant game.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2008, 09:40:20 PM »

Quote from: Tscott on April 24, 2008, 01:04:41 AM

Arrrgh!

Damn shame that a game this great is giving me so many damn problems.  Anyone else run into this problem?  Any advice on how to fix it so I can finish?
Hate to sound like a Troubleshooting Tech Geek (I'm underqualified  icon_lol), but can you give us some details as far as OS (i.e., if you use Vista, is it 32 or 64-bit, do you have SP1 update installed etc.), hardware, driver version, etc. etc. Maybe it'll jog someone's memory.

I assume you've installed the 1.1 patch? Some of the things it was supposed to fix included stuttering audio in Vista, and some other audio and DX10 problems. The only "Fort Frolic" related fix I saw was, "Fix for a potential situation in Fort Frolic where taking a picture of Cobb is impossible if his body gets stuck behind a fallen pillar." Which probably isn't your problem.

You've probably already checked the official site, here's the support page in case:
http://www.2kgames.com/bioshock/support/

While it's working fine for me on the new HP system in 64-bit Vista (8600GT card), that's not helpful I know.  icon_smile I always thought if someone who wasn't a programmer worked on the OS, maybe they'd learn to have error messages the average human could parse, and we could actually remedy problems without needing to play detective.  disgust

Playing
PC
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2008, 02:54:05 AM »

I'm running Vista 32bit on a Dell XPS420 Intel Quad Core 2.4GHz, 500GB HD, 3 GB RAM with a Nvidia 8800GT and integrated sound card.  The game is running in XP(service pack 2) compatibility mode- to get the sound to work- and in DX9 mode- to stop earlier crashes.  I have the latest drivers from Nvidia.

It looks like this is a common problem, as this 7 page thread indicates.  I just tried tonight running Bioshock in windowed mode as that thread suggests and it has almost stopped all the crashes.  I'm still getting a crash when I exit the game, but it doesn't seem to be resetting my settings like it used to.  That's an improvement, but I need to lower the resolution a bit to get everything to fit in the window, and I get a headache because I'm seeing my desktop in my periphery when I'm playing the game.  Not an ideal solution, but one that can get me through the level and hopefully pass this bug to where I can play in full screen mode again.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 25, 2008, 04:17:12 AM »

What was making me crash on restarts was setting EAX to on. I left that off and it didn't do it again.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2008, 01:04:28 PM »

Actually, I haven't reached Fort Frolic yet. What does it look like? So I'll know when I get there.  icon_smile If I have similar troubles, I'll let ya know.

Playing
PC
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2008, 10:59:09 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 25, 2008, 01:04:28 PM

Actually, I haven't reached Fort Frolic yet. What does it look like? So I'll know when I get there.  icon_smile If I have similar troubles, I'll let ya know.
It looks like a leaky underwater city. smile  You can't miss it.

Actually, I've noticed there seems to be some floating particle effect in the air of this level in some places.  I wonder if that is what is causing my problems.

-TMBG
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 26, 2008, 12:24:48 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Im a Big Daddy! I feel so mean and big but I still get hurt too easy. Plus its like looking out a fishbowl or porthole

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 26, 2008, 01:24:18 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 26, 2008, 12:24:48 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Im a Big Daddy! I feel so mean and big but I still get hurt too easy. Plus its like looking out a fishbowl or porthole

ah, you're up to the beginning of the worst part of the game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 26, 2008, 04:58:35 AM »

Ok I just finished and have a question..well lots of questions but this one more than others..

Spoiler for Hiden:
why did Ryan make me kill him?

Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2008, 06:03:16 AM »

I'm through Fort Frolic and playing in full screen again at 1680X1050.  Everything's loading/saving just fine again.  I still seem to be getting an error upon exiting to windows, though.

-TMBG
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 29, 2008, 03:35:52 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 26, 2008, 04:58:35 AM

Ok I just finished and have a question..well lots of questions but this one more than others..

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just finished.  And that question has been bugging me too.

Great game though.  I was good and saved them all, but still had an excess of Adam at the end.  Speaking of excesses- I never had a fear I was going to run out of anything in this game.  I see the similarities to System Shock- but fear of running out of ammo was one thing not carried over.

-TMBG
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 29, 2008, 04:00:27 AM »

I ran out of everything and had to use my wrench there right near the end while I was with the little sister.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 29, 2008, 06:29:11 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 26, 2008, 04:58:35 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
He had set Rapture to self-destruct, so he was going to die anyway.  I think he just hated you so much  - both due to how you were conceived (look what he did to your mother) and because you were a servant of his greatest enemy - that he wanted you to suffer in your last moments.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 06:31:04 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: