http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 02:35:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioshock pc review...pc better  (Read 16110 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2007, 12:52:20 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 29, 2007, 12:03:46 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 28, 2007, 02:46:20 PM

Quote from: Calvin on August 28, 2007, 07:36:53 AM

And by the way, yes, it was a much superior experience on PC.

yeah, I imagine it was alot more challenging than having the 'soft autoaim' option the 360 supposedly has.  Those Splicers could be awfully nimble.

Yeah, I hated that soft auto-aim. It was more challenging, but not always in a good way. The weapons just do not react as well as you are accustomed to in pure shooters-found it often as frustrating as fun because it was so imprecise.

no sniping with the Machine Gun for you!!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2007, 05:19:38 PM »

Ok, all my issues are sorted out (well, the ones relevant to my video card and the game, anyway).

I played about two hours yesterday, it's pretty fun.  I think I might start over at a lower difficulty, however (I chose the hardest one).  It seems like the slicers see me from pretty far away, but even more importantly is the ones with guns never seem to miss.  Also, I'm not getting any pickups from anything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2007, 07:53:12 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 30, 2007, 05:19:38 PM

Ok, all my issues are sorted out (well, the ones relevant to my video card and the game, anyway).

I played about two hours yesterday, it's pretty fun.  I think I might start over at a lower difficulty, however (I chose the hardest one).  It seems like the slicers see me from pretty far away, but even more importantly is the ones with guns never seem to miss.  Also, I'm not getting any pickups from anything.

they have pretty good aim on the medium setting to.  A few times I had to fall back on bunny hopping.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2007, 11:11:10 PM »

I'll see if it gets any better.  I haven't played an FPS in longer than I realized, my reaction times and aiming are all messed up.

One other thing: is there a way to make yourself "quieter"?  I've been trying to sneak around so I can take people out with a pistol, but they always seem to hear me coming.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2007, 11:22:56 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 30, 2007, 11:11:10 PM

One other thing: is there a way to make yourself "quieter"?  I've been trying to sneak around so I can take people out with a pistol, but they always seem to hear me coming.

According to the somewhat useful help screens during loading, crouching is supposed to make you quieter. Plus you can find
Spoiler for Hiden:
a gene enhancement that makes it so you make no noise period when you move around with your Wrench armed (as it does bonus sneak attack damage)

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 31, 2007, 12:56:30 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 30, 2007, 11:11:10 PM

I'll see if it gets any better.  I haven't played an FPS in longer than I realized, my reaction times and aiming are all messed up.

especially all the ones after the first  icon_wink

Because I can,
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 31, 2007, 06:18:50 PM »

I finally played through both the PC and Xbox demos and I prefer the PC version. I've never been good with console FPS controls and I did improve some in Bioshock, but it still just doesn't feel right.

I do love my lap desk, though, which will enable me to get the best of both worlds: PC game on the big HDTV. smile
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 01, 2007, 02:33:15 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on August 31, 2007, 06:18:50 PM

I do love my lap desk, though, which will enable me to get the best of both worlds: PC game on the big HDTV. smile

Lap Desk? Elaborate please. Wireless keyboard, etc?
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 01, 2007, 07:12:26 PM »

It's ten bucks from Bed, Bath, and Beyond and works surprisingly well. My keyboard and mouse aren't wireless, but my computer is right near the couch so it all works out. Now that you mention it, though, wireless would make it even easier...

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14535942
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 01, 2007, 07:15:16 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on September 01, 2007, 07:12:26 PM

It's ten bucks from Bed, Bath, and Beyond and works surprisingly well. My keyboard and mouse aren't wireless, but my computer is right near the couch so it all works out. Now that you mention it, though, wireless would make it even easier...

Hey Negus-can you get that in store too? That looks exactly what I want.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 01, 2007, 08:19:19 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 01, 2007, 07:15:16 PM

Quote from: Old Negus on September 01, 2007, 07:12:26 PM

Hey Negus-can you get that in store too? That looks exactly what I want.

yeah, the web site has it as out of stock.  that's just the thing that could get me to use my TV for PC games more often.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 01, 2007, 08:21:27 PM »

of course this folding bed tray may work just as good.

Because I can,
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 01, 2007, 11:09:41 PM »

Yeah, I got mine in-store. They had a giant pillar full of them (last year, anyway, but it was around this back-to-college time of year). You can try it out and see if you like it. They also have some $20 models.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 01, 2007, 11:10:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 01, 2007, 08:21:27 PM

I actually have one of those too, but I find it too constraining. I like having a table right on my lap better.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 02, 2007, 05:04:33 AM »

Quote from: Old Negus on September 01, 2007, 11:10:57 PM

I actually have one of those too, but I find it too constraining. I like having a table right on my lap better.

Thanks man, going to check tomorrow!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 02, 2007, 05:05:25 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 02, 2007, 05:04:33 AM

Just don't wander into the Beyond section......

Because I can,
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 02, 2007, 09:43:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 02, 2007, 05:05:25 AM

Lol, that might be the funniest Family Guy bit ever. Or maybe I just loved it because it was in the first episode back from the show's hiatus. (Now I actually never think of the store without thinking of Family Guy)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »

Quote from: Old Negus on September 02, 2007, 09:43:58 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 02, 2007, 05:05:25 AM

Lol, that might be the funniest Family Guy bit ever. Or maybe I just loved it because it was in the first episode back from the show's hiatus. (Now I actually never think of the store without thinking of Family Guy)

I was actually thinking 'Click' but Family Guy did have that bit too.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #218 on: September 03, 2007, 04:33:12 PM »

On the PC, is there some way to check what you have researched?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: September 03, 2007, 05:48:52 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 03, 2007, 04:33:12 PM

On the PC, is there some way to check what you have researched?

Thinking back to my time on the PC version...not that I can remember. If you take a picture of something you've already finished research on, the game will tell you (and not use up a piece of film). So just snap away until you've gotten them all?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2007, 06:18:48 PM »

you know, I barely used the camera while playing.  all it was to me was that annoying little thing I'd have to skip while cycling through my weapons (or that annoying little thing I accidentally cycled to in the heat of combat).

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2007, 07:10:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 03, 2007, 06:18:48 PM

you know, I barely used the camera while playing.  all it was to me was that annoying little thing I'd have to skip while cycling through my weapons (or that annoying little thing I accidentally cycled to in the heat of combat).

researching enemies can make a pretty big difference in your effectiveness against different enemies.  not only will it give you damage bonuses against just about every enemy in the game, but you also get some extra perks like instant hacking of turrets/drones/cameras, maximum health/eve increases from little sisters, and even a few extra tonics.  considering how easy it is to do a little photography, the payoffs are pretty big.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2007, 08:28:18 PM »

Quote from: disarm on September 03, 2007, 07:10:09 PM

researching enemies can make a pretty big difference in your effectiveness against different enemies.  not only will it give you damage bonuses against just about every enemy in the game, but you also get some extra perks like instant hacking of turrets/drones/cameras, maximum health/eve increases from little sisters, and even a few extra tonics.  considering how easy it is to do a little photography, the payoffs are pretty big.

wow.  I'll have to keep that in mind for my next playthrough.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2007, 10:38:58 PM »

Quote from: disarm on September 03, 2007, 07:10:09 PM

Yes but its godawful boring.
unbreakable
« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2007, 11:40:03 PM »

Actually, I had fun with taking pictures.  There was one incident where about 5 spider splicers were attacking a Bid Daddy (I think it was a Rosie).  I got TONS of "A" pictures on the Big Daddy, the splicers, and especially the Little Sister.

Honestly, the bonuses (you get them at level 2 and 4 for each enemy) MORE than make up for the time and energy investment.  For instance, the level 4 bonus on Bouncers is +50% wrench damage (!!!).  Also, most of the bonuses are passive- they require being equiped in a slot.

Oh, and each level you get on Little Sisters increases both your max health and Eve.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 04, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »

Another photographer here.  I took lots of research pics on the PC version.  Basically everytime I saw a  bad guy, I'd snap a photo of it until it told me that research was complete.  In addition to passive bonuses, you also get some tonics from this.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: September 04, 2007, 12:52:52 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 04, 2007, 12:08:00 AM

Another photographer here.  I took lots of research pics on the PC version.  Basically everytime I saw a  bad guy, I'd snap a photo of it until it told me that research was complete.  In addition to passive bonuses, you also get some tonics from this.

Yup yup. The best tonic by far you get out of it is one that stealths you when you stand still. Second best is the one that allows you to be completely silent when having the wrench equipped.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 04, 2007, 02:24:13 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 04, 2007, 12:52:52 AM

Yup yup. The best tonic by far you get out of it is one that stealths you when you stand still. Second best is the one that allows you to be completely silent when having the wrench equipped.

damn.  I feel the need to re-play growing stronger... perhaps once I'm done with Two Worlds.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 04, 2007, 04:23:46 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 04, 2007, 12:52:52 AM

the Natural Camouflage tonic is a huge perk, especially when combined with Wrench Lurker...makes you a stealth killing machine.  it's also great being able to walk right in front of a camera, set off the alarm, then vanish as you stand still, leaving the drones to hunt for you until the timer runs out and they give up.  it eliminates almost all of the threat posed by security cameras and alarms...almost...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
unbreakable
« Reply #229 on: September 04, 2007, 06:01:32 PM »

I did notice the spotlights in Fort Frolic (is that the name?) prevent you from going into camouflage.  That level was a bit of a pain, since I really got acclimated to using it all the time.

Actually, I could see the game being pretty darned hard if you don't use research.  Levels 1, 3, and 5 all add damage increases, which make many splicers into one hit kills (especially from behind with wrench lurker).
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 04, 2007, 06:56:57 PM »

I just got the camera last nigh and have been taking pictures of EVERYTHING. Can you take more than one pic of the same splicer? I didn't think so, but some posts indicated that you can. Not sure the difference between an A and C pic either. I didn't realize you could also take pictures of security cams and bots as well. I feel like i should head back to earlier levels and snap some pics of those big daddies i took out.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: September 04, 2007, 07:09:48 PM »

Yes, you can take pictures of the same target multiple times. You'll get a lesser ranking for each additional shot, but they do add up quickly. I think 4 is the max per person.

And (obviously) you get more points for live targets, but you can snap the dead too.

unbreakable
« Reply #232 on: September 04, 2007, 07:21:57 PM »

Just keep taking pictures until it doesn't give you points anymore.  It's that simple (I know what you mean, they make it sound complicated, but it's not).  Film is pretty cheap, too, especially considering all the bonuses research gives (also, I went through most of the game with a full wallet, so there's really no reason not to buy stuff).

The rank is essentially how much research XP that pic earns.  Since you get a bonus for retaking pics, you should try to have the first one be an "A", but honestly it doesn't matter.

One important tip I realized later in the game: try to get something else in the pic with your target, if possible, even if it's the body of something you killed.  The bonus from having other things in the pic really helps a ton.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 07:23:56 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 04, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 04, 2007, 07:21:57 PM

Just keep taking pictures until it doesn't give you points anymore.  It's that simple (I know what you mean, they make it sound complicated, but it's not).  Film is pretty cheap, too, especially considering all the bonuses research gives (also, I went through most of the game with a full wallet, so there's really no reason not to buy stuff).

I know, i just filled up my wallet for the first time and i was pissed. Why can't they just let me take it all frown

The rank is essentially how much research XP that pic earns.  Since you get a bonus for retaking pics, you should try to have the first one be an "A", but honestly it doesn't matter.

I'm not actually sure how to make it an 'A' is it closer? an action shot? (i try to get attacked first then snap a pic)

One important tip I realized later in the game: try to get something else in the pic with your target, if possible, even if it's the body of something you killed.  The bonus from having other things in the pic really helps a ton.

I try, but do you know how hard it is to a group shot with splicers?

"Ok Leadhead, a little to the left.."
"Nitro! Put down that bomb.."
"Spider, can you please get off the ceiling"

biggrin
unbreakable
« Reply #234 on: September 05, 2007, 05:43:33 AM »

Quote from: Jag on September 04, 2007, 08:23:08 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on September 04, 2007, 07:21:57 PM

I know, i just filled up my wallet for the first time and i was pissed. Why can't they just let me take it all frown

LOL, probably so misers like us don't end the game with $5,000,000!

I'm not actually sure how to make it an 'A' is it closer? an action shot? (i try to get attacked first then snap a pic)

Action shots help, and so does being kind of close.  Having them centered helps as well.

I try, but do you know how hard it is to a group shot with splicers?

"Ok Leadhead, a little to the left.."
"Nitro! Put down that bomb.."
"Spider, can you please get off the ceiling"

biggrin

The other enemies in the picture don't necessarily have to be alive.  THAT actually helps a lot, since if you draw them into an area you've already killed a few enemies at, it will jack up the score of the pic.

You can also take pics of dead enemies.  Not great, but if it's an enemy you haven't photographed yet, it's still worth some research points.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 05:46:16 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 06, 2007, 06:19:50 AM »

Have tried it on xbox and owning it for 360 i must say the pc version is much better (if you got good hardware).

There's just nothing that can beat keyboard + mouse when it comes to fps.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 19, 2008, 03:50:38 PM »

I'm blabbering in various old threads, now that I got a new PC (a modest $1,159 HP model) and can finally play some of the better PC stuff the way it *should* look.  icon_smile

Bioshock was the 2nd thing I installed after Gears of War PC. Finally I can appreciate it. My old system rendered so badly I couldn't even hardly tell what I was looking at during the intro. Some pics of it in better form for me now:

Water finally looks like... water!  saywhat

This screams out for a "caption contest."  icon_lol

"I thought you said to use a revolver?"
"I said use a BAZOOKA!"
"oh."

"Hey, what does 3 bright red lights mean?"
"It means you're gonna die!"
"Oh. *bleep*..."
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:53:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 19, 2008, 04:02:38 PM »

Leave it to a Splicer to bring a gun to a bazooka fight.

Because I can,
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 19, 2008, 04:16:51 PM »

I was just debating if I should bump this thread.  Thanks for doing it for me. smile

I also just got a new PC a little over a month ago.  The Orange Box and Bioshock are the first two games I bought (before the PC was even delivered, in fact).

Bioshock has been the only game that I've had trouble getting to run right on my system.  When first installed I had to customize it to run in XP mode instead of Vista to get any sound in the game.  Then after playing through every single player portion of The Orange Box, I loaded up Bioshock and kept getting crashes, and moved on to FEAR and Prey instead.

Yesterday I finally fiddled around with it enough to realize that the DX10 effects were what was causing it to crash (they seemed to work in lower resolutions, but not 1680X1050), so I got it running in DX9 mode and I've had no problems since.  Yay, me.

I'm now running around the medical center and just got Telekinesis, a few tonics and I'm hacking everything I can so far.  I'm having a blast and it looks great.

Will I have opportunities to increase my open slots of plasmids soon?  I think I can only have two now and I'm not sure how to ever get Incinerate back now that I've added Telekinesis.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 19, 2008, 04:22:23 PM »

Quote from: Tscott on April 19, 2008, 04:16:51 PM

Will I have opportunities to increase my open slots of plasmids soon?  I think I can only have two now and I'm not sure how to ever get Incinerate back now that I've added Telekinesis.

you'll find them in the vending machines eventually, and IIRC there's another machine that will let you switch around Plasmids that you'll find soon too.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: