http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 07:11:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3] Bioshock: Infinite - Impressions Incoming! Impressions pg 6  (Read 16553 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 30, 2013, 01:24:42 AM »

Also, I did enjoy the story and end, although I was a bit disappointed in that the larger elements had been done before, even in other games this generation such as
Spoiler for Hiden:
Infamous and Singularity

So, overall the story didn't seem truly unique, but the full package was put together very well.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2013, 01:25:40 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 30, 2013, 01:18:36 AM

I always find it funny when I open something like a chocolate box and there's ammo or something else inside. You think they'd program it to avoid silly things like that smile

You're just not up on the future of chocolate ammunition.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2013, 02:33:48 AM »

After a few hours I am warming to the ending somewhat. After reading a lot of editorials on the game online, I think I understood the ending better than I thought I had... if that makes any sense. I do look forward to playing it again knowing everything that you know when you finish. (But not in 1999 mode. Fuck, normal was difficult enough for me...)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2013, 02:35:03 AM »

I always find it funny when I open something like a chocolate box and there's ammo or something else inside. You think they'd program it to avoid silly things like that smile

what's even more amazing is how many people leave money laying around in trash cans.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2013, 03:24:28 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 30, 2013, 01:25:40 AM

What,  don't your cracker jack boxes come with a magazine where you live?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: March 30, 2013, 04:54:42 AM »

Just finished the game.  I stand by my complaints but the last third of the game is brilliant enough that I would still recommend the game whole heartedly. 

The tonal shifts that occur around the halfway point make me wonder if they went with the intro section as it was because they were afraid of scaring people off.  The Patriotic ideology really doesn’t fit with the rest of the game and if they had gone with a pure religious tone I think the game would have been stronger for it.

I had actually been expecting the ending revelation for quite a while.  They still handled it in a clever and satisfying fashion so high marks to them for that.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 31, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »

finished the game and I enjoyed it, but I have two questions

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. How did Anna get her power?
2. Where did the bird creature come from?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 31, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 31, 2013, 07:52:42 PM

finished the game and I enjoyed it, but I have two questions

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. How did Anna get her power?
2. Where did the bird creature come from?

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. Because she exists in two realities at once (her finger)
2. It's modified big daddy tech stolen through a tear. There is also a theory that one of the Bookers from a previous rescue attempt is inside, which is why it is so protective.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 01, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »

Quote from: Caine on March 30, 2013, 03:24:28 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 30, 2013, 01:25:40 AM

What,  don't your cracker jack boxes come with a magazine where you live?
saw this.  good explanation.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:16 PM »

Bam - my official SPOILER FREE review:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/would-you-kindly-read-our-bioshock-infinite-review/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 02, 2013, 12:32:18 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 01, 2013, 08:48:16 PM

A 97 from Ron.

(PR starts hitting his head against the wall)

Gottaplaythis.Gottaplaythis.Gottaplaythis.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: April 02, 2013, 02:07:21 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on April 02, 2013, 12:32:18 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 01, 2013, 08:48:16 PM

A 97 from Ron.

(PR starts hitting his head against the wall)

Gottaplaythis.Gottaplaythis.Gottaplaythis.

I'm not gonna help - this is one of the best games I've played in recent memory.  They've really outdone themselves with this one.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 02, 2013, 06:13:58 AM »

Just when I thought I'd play some tomb raider tonight I read this thread... More bioshock infinite I guess tonight! Hard to put down...
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 02, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »

Finished last night... mind officially blown.

Between this and Tomb Raider, it's been a really good "one-two punch"
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 02, 2013, 06:16:20 PM »

So I have more questions…

Spoiler for Hiden:
How come Comstock is so old if he’s a version of Booker in 1912?  Shouldn’t he have been 38 too?  Was he aged due to the portals?

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2013, 06:21:38 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 02, 2013, 06:16:20 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
How come Comstock is so old if he’s a version of Booker in 1912?  Shouldn’t he have been 38 too?  Was he aged due to the portals?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Best theory I read is that using the rifts has prematurely aged him as well as made him sterile.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on April 02, 2013, 06:21:38 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 02, 2013, 06:16:20 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Best theory I read is that using the rifts has prematurely aged him as well as made him sterile.

Spoiler for Hiden:
However, that does not explain all of the aging. The reality is, the game definitely has an element of time travel through tears, considering the songs and locations found through them are definitely in the future, not to mention that an older version of Elizabeth summons you from the future to send you back to save a version of her past self.

It's best not to overthink things and just remember, tears are magic that can take you anywhere in time and space.

It's funny how people coming up with some explanations forget the whole fact that there was time travel.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 03, 2013, 02:21:36 PM »

It will take a miracle for any game to knock this one off 'Game of the Year' for 2013.   

One of the best games I've played since System Shock 2.   Compelling story.    Compelling characters.    I CARED about Elizabeth.   

My only problem now is:   what in the hell am I going to play now?   Nothing will come close to comparing to this.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: April 03, 2013, 03:10:10 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 03, 2013, 02:21:36 PM

It will take a miracle for any game to knock this one off 'Game of the Year' for 2013.   

I beg to differ. It takes a miracle for a game released in the early months of the year to even feature in GOTY lists, no matter how good it is. People at large and game journalists have too short attention spans to remember those games, and as the months pass the flaws in these games become more apparent too, something that newer games at that time won't have had a chance to go through yet.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 03, 2013, 03:32:06 PM »

I predict... GOTY 2013 = GTA V
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 03, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »

Don't forget a little game called "The Last of Us".

siege

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 03, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »

I won't even play GTA or TLoU due to disinterest so barring some surprise release, Bioshock is likely my pick. Thing is, I didn't really enjoy the actual game play in Bioshock. The great story is what drove me to complete it.

Would love to see a film studio do it justice but we know how often that happens...

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 03, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »

Anyway, I'm probably going to drop my 1999 run. I'm up to the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Emporium
, but it's getting pretty hard and I only got there because of what seemed to be a glitch.

Spoiler for Hiden:
At the point where you need to clear out the area before reboarding the zepplelin (and Elizabeth kills the Vox leader) the Handyman was eating my lunch. At some point I took some cover and he just stopped going after me. He would occasionally throw a projectile over, but it was easy to dodge. I was able to just snipe his heart from there. If that hadn't happened I was probably going to give up. I'm not really looking forward to the ghost-mom, so I might just call it.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 03, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »

Am I the only person who was pretty amazed with the game right up until the point where I put skyhook through a guy's head?  I know this is a shooter and all, but it seems these guys went with violence for violence's sake.  It honestly soured my impressions of the game.  This is the type of game that could have really done something meaningful if they were going to put that kind of violence in (they minorly address it, from what I hear), but for such a smart game, they really sank into the "murder simulator" mode on this one.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 03, 2013, 08:28:17 PM »

Booker has done some very bad things in his life. It's not out of character for him to do that.

I actually find it strange that people are saying that the game has too much shooting and there are "waves" of enemies. I spent a lot of time exploring and you can go very long stretches without firing a shot. There are a lot of places you can simply walk through if you don't do anything to arouse suspicion. In addition, a lot of encounters are simply you entering a room with 2 guys, and even the longer firefights don't feel like CoD monster closets. More or bigger enemies will show up, but it doesn't feel like "waves" by any means IMHO.

Having played Tomb Raider recently, I definitely felt a difference. I enjoyed Tomb Raider but Lara as a murder machine felt a lot more like an excuse to have gameplay than in BI.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 03, 2013, 09:09:32 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on April 03, 2013, 03:10:10 PM

Quote from: msduncan on April 03, 2013, 02:21:36 PM

I beg to differ. It takes a miracle for a game released in the early months of the year to even feature in GOTY lists, no matter how good it is. People at large and game journalists have too short attention spans to remember those games, and as the months pass the flaws in these games become more apparent too, something that newer games at that time won't have had a chance to go through yet.

Pretty sure he was talking about a personal list, not a published one.

Quote from: The Grue on April 03, 2013, 07:41:19 PM

Am I the only person who was pretty amazed with the game right up until the point where I put skyhook through a guy's head?  I know this is a shooter and all, but it seems these guys went with violence for violence's sake.  It honestly soured my impressions of the game.  This is the type of game that could have really done something meaningful if they were going to put that kind of violence in (they minorly address it, from what I hear), but for such a smart game, they really sank into the "murder simulator" mode on this one.

I've heard Elizabeth react with a pretty disgusted tone upon seeing some of the more brutal actions.  I've actually been worried that her seeing those is going to affect my ending.  Although just recently she muttered one of her "hmms" after I ripped into a guy, and I was worried she was getting desensitized.  I worry about that girl.

Like Teggy, I've found the amount of gunfighting to be pretty spot on.  I explore the hell out of everything, though, so that may be a factor.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 04, 2013, 12:37:19 PM »

So I finally completed the game last night. I thought the ending was interesting and I liked the direction they took in explaining the events of the game. Major ending spoilers question follows:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I get the use of quantum mechanics/physics and the concept of parallel universes and alternate dimensions, but I'm still trying to figure out Lady Comstock's significance in the overall narrative. She isn't Elizabeth's/Anna's biological mother, just some lady that hooked up with Comstock version of Dewitt. Was her role just used to build up the legend and lore of Comstock and Columbia? They had you fighting her as a boss for pete's sake. At one point I thought they were going to go the direction of Elizabeth/Anna actually being Lady Comstock in a parallel world. I guess more than anything she was needed in order to quell people's suspicions of an old man who suddenly had a baby girl.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:14:45 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 05, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »

Question about Slate:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why was he just lying there?  I'm chasing him down this area and he's throwing stuff back at me.  I expect to have to shoot him down or something and I walk up and he's just lying there.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 05, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 05, 2013, 03:50:33 PM

Question about Slate:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Why was he just lying there?  I'm chasing him down this area and he's throwing stuff back at me.  I expect to have to shoot him down or something and I walk up and he's just lying there.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah, that was a little weird, I expect he was just caught in all the crossfire while you are taking out his minions.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 05, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »

God, what a tectonic sack of burning trash this game is!  I haven't looked through this thread yet, but I pity anyone who was either too stubborn or too dim-witted to suffer through this festering banana feces for more than a dozen hours.

First of all, who does Ken Levine think he is?!

Secondly, every goddamn gun in this game feels and behaves differently.  Think the pistol and the hand cannon are basic palette swaps of one another?  Nope: they're actually different weapons with distinctive handling, upgrades, and ammunition.  This means every weapon in the game requires a subtly different skillset and, unlike a game Command & Conquer: Renegade, you're constantly forced to weigh the pros and cons of your arsenal.  Awesome, thanks Sherlock!  You can also only carry two guns at a time because your character is some kind spineless coward.

Booker Dewitt?  More like Booker Deshit!

Then there's Columbia.  Sweet Christ in sauce, where do I begin?  My cousin went to Columbia.  It's in New York, not the fucking clouds, and believe it or not the students there are able to make it to class without getting brassed up by the fuzz.  What kind of scrimshaw moron would build a college in the sky when the ground is right here?  I guess that's the kind of question you forget to ask when you're more concerned about making your setting artistically attractive rather than relevant to the plot.

Thirdly, plot?  Who can tell?  The pacing is over the place!  One minute you're fighting for your life, and the next you've won a harrowing firefight and are left to explore the environment or head towards the next story point.  If you're lucky, that is -- the enemies are constantly splitting up so one group can draw your fire while another tries to flank your position.  Blunderballs!  Oh, and you better try not to get killed because some notary actually thought it would be a good idea to penalize you for dying!  I'm playing this game on Hard, and I swear to God: if I had a dime for every time I had to replay a section of the game, I wouldn't be nearly so thirsty.

The left mouse button controls the weapon in your right hand because that makes perfect sense.  Oh, unless you're using an X-Box 360 controller, in which case it's the right trigger.  These fucktarts really put the "irrational" in "Irrational Games!"

Secondly, I don't know who designed these levels, but I hope Jean-Paul LeBreton lost his job over this.  Has anyone ever been more in love with making up new shit for every environment in the game?  Who is going to take the time to notice the dropped balustrades in Soldier's Field lack the bronze casting and normal-mapped ornamentation present in the Lamb's Tower when they're being shot at, asshole!  And don't even get me started on the technical flaws in this engine.  One time, while Elizabeth was
Spoiler for Hiden:
singing,
she stepped in front of a
Spoiler for Hiden:
candle
and for a split-second the corona made it look like the light source was shining through her body.  Z-buffer, much?

When Bioshock came out, everyone agreed it was so awesome that trying to make it into franchise would cheapen and degrade its impact.  Then when Bioshock 2 came out, and everyone agreed that was incredibly awesome as well.  But you know what literally nobody ever said?  "Golly, I hope if they do a third game, they set it in a college in the sky in 1912 and make it one big escort mission with a brunette named Elizabeth!"  This is, by definition, a sequel no one was clamoring for, and anyone conflummoxed enough to actually like it should cram it with walnuts.

Firstly, I would honestly rather ride shotgun with Harrison Ford behind the wheel than play one more minute of this so-called game.  Dammit!  For succeeding wildly at everything it sets out to do, and being an unconscionable failure at every thing else, Bioshock Infinite gets a ten out of ten, out of fifty.

-Grr, I'm so edgy
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 05, 2013, 11:19:07 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 05, 2013, 11:05:55 PM

Then there's Columbia.  Sweet Christ in sauce, where do I begin?  My cousin went to Columbia.  It's in New York, not the fucking clouds, and believe it or not the students there are able to make it to class without getting brassed up by the fuzz.  What kind of scrimshaw moron would build a college in the sky when the ground is right here?  I guess that's the kind of question you forget to ask when you're more concerned about making your setting artistically attractive rather than relevant to the plot.

dude, it's obviously Columbia South Carolina, or did you miss all the southern undertones while trying to imagine a three way with Elizabeth and FemShep?

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: April 05, 2013, 11:27:47 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 05, 2013, 11:05:55 PM

The left mouse button controls the weapon in your right hand because that makes perfect sense.  Oh, unless you're using an X-Box 360 controller, in which case it's the right trigger.  These fucktarts really put the "irrational" in "Irrational Games!"
That is actually a legitimate complaint I have.  It seems like every FPS in the last few years that allows duel wielding has done it.  Thankfully, it’s easy to remap.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #312 on: April 06, 2013, 07:43:21 AM »

AA,  where can one subscribe to your newsletter?

Finished the game tonight.   Ending was odd, as expected.   I really wish they had let you define the ending,  but I guess it fits with the theme.

Damn,  that last battle was a huge PITA though.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 06, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »

No, everyone, pay more attention to me!  What a bold, discerning maverick I am, forging against the tide of popular opinion to denigrate my betters!  Anyone can score a game against contemporary standards, but only the most cunning of auteurs can transform a game review into a sweeping commentary on industry marketing by holding the finished product up against the fantastical expectations dreamed up while gorging on pre-release spoilers for the last three years.  OVERHYPED ARGLE BARGLE!

Now get out of my way!  I'm off to participate in a panel discussion about the philosophical themes in Bioshock Infinite!  Obviously, every miserable failure of effective world-building and competent storytelling deserves a forty minute deconstruction of the inspirations drawn from Koyaanisqatsi.  I just hope there'll be a good opportunity to connect phrases like "reductive verisimilitude" and "vomit waffles" in conversation so I can underscore the intelligence of my critique without losing any street cred.  Someone stencil "Senior" onto the start of all my business cards!

Weapon upgrades?  Come again?  Durr, I though all the vending machines sold exactly the same thing so I just ignored them!  Even the ones with totally different color schemes and sounds.  Thank god my inability to comprehend basic gameplay elements has zero effect on my opinion or, apparently, my credibility!

Oh, what's this?  "Extremely High Voltage!"  Well, I don't need safety gloves, because I'm Homer Sim-

-Bzzzzzt
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 06, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 06, 2013, 03:58:47 PM

No, everyone, pay more attention to me!  What a bold, discerning maverick I am, forging against the tide of popular opinion to denigrate my betters!  Anyone can score a game against contemporary standards, but only the most cunning of auteurs can transform a game review into a sweeping commentary on industry marketing by holding the finished product up against the fantastical expectations dreamed up while gorging on pre-release spoilers for the last three years.  OVERHYPED ARGLE BARGLE!

Now get out of my way!  I'm off to participate in a panel discussion about the philosophical themes in Bioshock Infinite!  Obviously, every miserable failure of effective world-building and competent storytelling deserves a forty minute deconstruction of the inspirations drawn from Koyaanisqatsi.  I just hope there'll be a good opportunity to connect phrases like "reductive verisimilitude" and "vomit waffles" in conversation so I can underscore the intelligence of my critique without losing any street cred.  Someone stencil "Senior" onto the start of all my business cards!

Weapon upgrades?  Come again?  Durr, I though all the vending machines sold exactly the same thing so I just ignored them!  Even the ones with totally different color schemes and sounds.  Thank god my inability to comprehend basic gameplay elements has zero effect on my opinion or, apparently, my credibility!

Oh, what's this?  "Extremely High Voltage!"  Well, I don't need safety gloves, because I'm Homer Sim-

-Bzzzzzt

I'm confused. Sarcasm?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #315 on: April 06, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on April 06, 2013, 05:22:42 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 06, 2013, 03:58:47 PM

-Bzzzzzt

I'm confused. Sarcasm?
That or drunk.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 06, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »

and done.  pretty fun game.  at some point, maybe next year, I'll replay the game to pick the choices I didn't take.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I knew some kind of mind fuck was coming, but I was more leaning towards it being something like Booker was in a coma and this was a dream of some sort.  I'm not sure what it was, but something clicked when I encountered Comstock up close on his airship and I said 'wait.. he's Booker!'.

I wonder what direction the DLC will take.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 06, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »

Spoiler regarding choices.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Dont replay for choices as they don't matter. That's sort of the point. Certain things will happen no matter what.

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 06, 2013, 10:41:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 06, 2013, 09:41:07 PM

and done.  pretty fun game.  at some point, maybe next year, I'll replay the game to pick the choices I didn't take.

I wonder what direction the DLC will take.

I have said this in the past, like Witcher 2, and the ME games, and Fallout 3 NV and yet, I have never gone back. There is always something new and shiny waiting.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 07, 2013, 12:12:18 AM »

I just finished.  It was a great ride and I loved the ending.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: