http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 07:03:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioshock - I'm at that part again ....  (Read 1987 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2008, 03:18:47 PM »

I tried to play Bioshock on the PC, hated the big daddy fights, and ended up selling it. I recently purchased a used copy for the 360, and I'm at 'that part' again. My first big daddy fight (the melee one) went semi-sorta ok, and after only a few deaths, I finally took the bastard down.

Now I'm back to the ... I think it's the docks area, where you first come across the 'Rosie' variety, and they are ranged and have a damn nasty nail gun or something. After much hiding, ducking, strafing and running like a little girl, I'm down to 10% health and his health bar is at something like 90%. It's frustrating.

Should I just bypass the big daddies for a while? Maybe until I'm stronger?

Any general tips for handling each type? Especially the ranged, I seem to have so much trouble with them.

How worthwhile would it be to go with a heavy melee character build?

Any other general tips/strategies would also be appreciated.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 03:32:59 PM »

I found that using telekinesis against their launched grenades and tossing them back works wonders.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »

Oh, and there's also the old 'Make them think you're a Little Sister' trick.  use the ability that makes them follow you, and then make someone else (preferably another Big Daddy) fight you.  Massive fun insured.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 03:38:23 PM »

From what I remember Big Daddies were easy if you could keep them away from you. I ran back a lot and pumped them full of bullets.

As for the docks portion I don't remember having too much difficulty with it, unless I am thinking of a different part. I remember freezing the bad guy and being done with it. The telekineses was fun too.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 03:44:07 PM »

Rosie uses a riveter ..get it..Rosie the riveter? Anyways just keep at it..when ya die just go right back at them. They dont get their health back and you can just res and fight res and fight till they die.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 03:52:52 PM »

I have a similar problem with the game.  I'll play through a level for a while, grab as much ammo and health I can carry, and eventually I'll have enough to drink to think I can take on a Big Daddy.  I managed to take out all Big Daddies in the fisheries, but now I'm working through the tea gardens.  The last Big Daddy I faced made short work of me.  It's not that I can't defeat them, I just lose interest in the game pretty quickly when I underestimate their power, piss away any health and ammo I spent hours tracking down, and have to start over.  At times I marvel at just how great this game is, and at other times I have zero interest in playing.  I've had the game since its release and I only recently reached the tea gardens.  I'll eventually finish it, but sometimes it just frustrates me and I move on to something else. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on June 20, 2008, 03:33:44 PM

Oh, and there's also the old 'Make them think you're a Little Sister' trick.  use the ability that makes them follow you, and then make someone else (preferably another Big Daddy) fight you.  Massive fun insured.

i used this one a few times early on, when you still have a limited inventory.  i actually liked that part of the game more than the later parts as it forced you to improvise rather than just spray them with the electric gel gun. 

don't forget that you can stun them with the electric power.  then run up on them with the shotgun and hit em point blank.  keep all of your special ammo for the daddies.  (armor piercing, electric)  before you engage them, load your shotgun and your smg with the special ammo.  even the pistol with AP hurts them.  use any turrets you come across, and make your first attack a stun.  the daddy won't need much time to kill the turret, so make the most of them.  after a few hits, stun them again. 

if you can find a hidey hole of your own to use, or some cover, use it to your advantage.  i was able to dance around the melee type in the first encounter and only got hit once by jumping over a bar.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 01:21:55 AM »

Some great tips here, thanks for the replies. I'll report back later with how successful I am at implementing them slywink
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 01:25:45 AM »

My problem in this area was that I would be low on ammo, locate a big daddy and then lure it to a trap area (where I had hacked missile launcher), and it would be replaced by a Rosie who I would kill but use all my ammo, and then the Daddy would show up.  I'm stuck in this same area and it's kind of the thing that keeps me from going on with the game too.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 03:22:22 AM »

Ok, I'm trying the telekinesis bit (throw the grenades back at them) and it's not working .... at ... all. I've died about 15 times in a row. I either miss him with the toss back, or he just keeps shooting the hell out of me while I'm waiting for him to throw one. I'm hiding behind the big metal thing on the dock but I have to duck out to be ready for him to throw one.

Is there a way to pick up the grenades that he tosses that stick to the ground?

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 12:33:01 PM »

try stunning them with electricity and whipping out the shotgun for some major damage.  i beat pretty much every Big Daddy in the game by taking a quick shot with electric buck to stun them,switching to regular 00 buck or exploding buck for a couple shots, then going back to another hit with the electric buck right to keep them from moving again as the first shock wears off.  in addition to stunning a Big Daddy, repeated shots with electric buck does a lot of damage, but i usually switched away between stuns to save that type of ammo.  once you get access to both electric and exploding buck, the big guys go down pretty easily.  if you don't have electrick buck, zapping them with the electro-bolt plasmid before whipping out the shotgun also works really well.  the real key is to either find a tactic for dodging their attacks at range, or stun them and god for the close-up kill.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 02:07:33 PM »

Early on I was definitely always a fan of hacking multiple turrets to soften them up...
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 02:44:24 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on June 21, 2008, 02:07:33 PM

Early on I was definitely always a fan of hacking multiple turrets to soften them up...

I tried that too. The rosie took out my turrets in about 3 seconds.

After dying about 50 times in a row, I finally gave up even trying to kill the big daddies. Apparently I just suck. This is the same problem I had last time. It's just not fun.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »

What difficulty are you playing the game on? I just shot them dead with no problems on normal.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 03:15:18 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on June 21, 2008, 03:05:04 PM

What difficulty are you playing the game on? I just shot them dead with no problems on normal.

I'm also playing on Normal. If I try just shooting them, the rosie always kills me first. I'll run completely out of ammo, and have him down to maybe 50% health, while I've used nearly all my health packs in the mean-time.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 03:43:17 PM »

I turned it down to Easy and had very few problems (and I suck at FPS).  I care far more about getting through the story and experiencing the setting than I do about trying to play through something that is frustratingly difficult.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 05:42:01 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 21, 2008, 03:43:17 PM

I turned it down to Easy and had very few problems (and I suck at FPS).  I care far more about getting through the story and experiencing the setting than I do about trying to play through something that is frustratingly difficult.

I think that's what I'll do too, this just isn't fun as is. I really like the setting, the story, the graphics, the lighting, audio, voice acting ... pretty much everything else., but the BD fights are ruining the whole thing for me.

Can you turn it down to easy without having to restart the game?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 06:35:18 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 21, 2008, 05:42:01 PM

Quote from: Gratch on June 21, 2008, 03:43:17 PM

I think that's what I'll do too, this just isn't fun as is. I really like the setting, the story, the graphics, the lighting, audio, voice acting ... pretty much everything else., but the BD fights are ruining the whole thing for me.

Can you turn it down to easy without having to restart the game?

just checked it,you can change the difficulty setting,through the options after you press start...but it effects achievements,if you are into that kind of thing

must say,reading this thread has given me the urge to restart this myself...i did get through it all in september or whenever it was,but i never did try out those new plasmid downloads

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »

ha, i remember waiting and eventually found a way to the roof tops. the big daddy's have poor path finding AI. so it was easy pickings as it ran around trying to figure out what to do.

later on the easiest way to kill them is using those electric darts. just set a trap of like 3 and it's almost half hp. i always used the bees too so their aim blew.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 07:00:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 21, 2008, 06:35:18 PM

just checked it,you can change the difficulty setting,through the options after you press start...but it effects achievements,if you are into that kind of thing

must say,reading this thread has given me the urge to restart this myself...i did get through it all in september or whenever it was,but i never did try out those new plasmid downloads

Thanks, that's a relief, I didn't want to have to restart. What new plasmid downloads? is there some DLC i can get for it?
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 07:13:46 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 21, 2008, 07:00:34 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 21, 2008, 06:35:18 PM

Thanks, that's a relief, I didn't want to have to restart. What new plasmid downloads? is there some DLC i can get for it?

yeah i think there was..not sure how you come across them though in the game,whether they are automatically in your collection or you have to buy them,i was a bit miffed though that the DLC for the game hasn't been much more

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 07:41:33 PM »

The new plasmids are available to buy where you buy the other plasmids (Gatherers' Gardens I think they're called).  They're basically free, though, as they only cost 1 Adam.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 08:00:31 PM »

Are you reloading after you die or resurrecting and continuing the fight?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 09:21:03 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on June 21, 2008, 08:00:31 PM

Are you reloading after you die or resurrecting and continuing the fight?

I've tried both.

Hey, the plasmid DLC is free ... neat.

edit: switched to easy and the Rosie fight went much better. It's a lot easier, yes, but was still a reasonable fight. Like Gratch, I want to get through this thing and enjoy the story and setting, so I think this might be my solution. As it was, I know I would've quit again.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 09:43:10 PM by Jeff Jones » Logged
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 11:09:02 AM »

I think that one's the hardest Big Daddy fight. Or at least I remember thinking how hard this was, but after that one, I pretty much got through the game ok. So I'd actually advice you to ramp the difficulty back up again after this part, since the game isn't that difficult, if you don't hamster your stuff too much. (Because you'll find plenty of items and ammo, so use them!)
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 11:47:28 AM »

I've been toying with picking this back up again myself since it can be had pretty easily for $20 nowadays, but my biggest concern was the two or three sections where I roamed for an hour or more trying to figure out where in the hell to go.  Those parts nearly killed the game for me.  Everything else was schweet.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 12:53:27 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on June 22, 2008, 11:09:02 AM

I think that one's the hardest Big Daddy fight. Or at least I remember thinking how hard this was, but after that one, I pretty much got through the game ok. So I'd actually advice you to ramp the difficulty back up again after this part, since the game isn't that difficult, if you don't hamster your stuff too much. (Because you'll find plenty of items and ammo, so use them!)

I think you might be right. Now that I'm through that part, and I have my character beefed up a bit, I might try normal again.

I've been toying with picking this back up again myself since it can be had pretty easily for $20 nowadays, but my biggest concern was the two or three sections where I roamed for an hour or more trying to figure out where in the hell to go.  Those parts nearly killed the game for me.  Everything else was schweet.

Try this:
http://www.mycheats.com/view/superguide/19218/
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 04:14:51 PM »

Jeff, are you dinking around with ammo types.  For Big Daddies you want electric or armor piercing ammo.

I took on big daddies with lots and lots of preparation, hacked everything I could, shock, and keep on shooting.  And running like a mofo.

Just Hiro will do.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »

I would stun, shoot, run and repeat.  The shotgun electric rounds were most effective IIRC. Personally, if I died during the fight I'd reload as I felt it was cheap to take more than one life to kill a BD.  But I guess I'm just HARDCORE TO THE MAX.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 06:14:47 PM »

Because of this thread I was actually compelled to load up Bioshock today.  I worked through a bit more of the Arcadia level, took down a Big Daddy and saved a little sister, and then went after another Big Daddy to get more adam.  But when the battle was finished the damn little girl was gone.   disgust  All of the ammo and health packs I used were for nothing. 

That was enough for me to move on to other things and perhaps get back to Bioshock another time.  I can't seem to play more than just in small installments.  I inevitably lose interest because of the constant backtracking and exploring.  The splicer respawns are a bit cheap as well.  Yes, the atmosphere is great, the sound is fantastic, but the gameplay itself gets a bit old and repetitive after a short while.  I really want to get into this game, but sometimes it feels more like a chore than anything else.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 06:47:38 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 22, 2008, 06:14:47 PM

Because of this thread I was actually compelled to load up Bioshock today.  I worked through a bit more of the Arcadia level, took down a Big Daddy and saved a little sister, and then went after another Big Daddy to get more adam.  But when the battle was finished the damn little girl was gone.   disgust  All of the ammo and health packs I used were for nothing. 

That was enough for me to move on to other things and perhaps get back to Bioshock another time.  I can't seem to play more than just in small installments.  I inevitably lose interest because of the constant backtracking and exploring.  The splicer respawns are a bit cheap as well.  Yes, the atmosphere is great, the sound is fantastic, but the gameplay itself gets a bit old and repetitive after a short while.  I really want to get into this game, but sometimes it feels more like a chore than anything else.

bang on those holes with a wrench, she should come out if she's hiding there. just keep trying til you find her.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on June 22, 2008, 06:47:38 PM

bang on those holes with a wrench, she should come out if she's hiding there. just keep trying til you find her.

So if I've disposed of the Big Daddy and the Little Sister ran away during the battle, I can lure her out of a hole in the wall without the aid of another Big Daddy to take the fallen one's place?  I had no idea.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 02:44:28 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on June 23, 2008, 02:43:29 PM

Quote from: jersoc on June 22, 2008, 06:47:38 PM

So if I've disposed of the Big Daddy and the Little Sister ran away during the battle, I can lure her out of a hole in the wall without the aid of another Big Daddy to take the fallen one's place?  I had no idea.

I didn't know that either, I thought you had to fight the Bid Daddy that comes and gets her out of the wall again.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 07:06:27 PM »

Did you kill all the big daddies? there's only a finite amount per level iirc. then just bang on the holes. i'm not sure if it works if they are all alive. i never had to do this. i just remember reading about it.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 06:02:56 AM »

I just waited until the Little Sister was with the Big Daddy before engaging them in combat. 

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: