http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 03:44:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioshock Demo on XBLM  (Read 5628 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 01:12:42 AM »

On the PC demo:

A BioShock PC Demo IS coming. We tried as hard as humanly possible to get it out to you guys simultaneously with the 360 demo, but we needed to make sure that it was perfect -- that all drivers were ready, and that the game looked great on a huge variety of computers. 

that bit about the drivers doesn't fill me with the warm and fuzzies.  This could end up being a dual purchase now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 02:55:17 AM »

This demo blew me away.  I was getting it anyway, but now I can't wait! The story is ever-present in the gameplay.  The killer opening through to the film strip and reveal had me grinning from ear to ear, but there are so many scripted moments beyond that...it reminded me not just of the opening to Half Life but of how original and engaging that opening was.  This seems like it could be the perfect blend between atmosphere (which I loved from the first screenshot), story and gameplay. I welcome the streamlined RPG elements, personally, though I imagine there will still be some tough coices to make further in.  I have two regrets: I wish you could backtrack - I don't like rooms sealing behind you; and I wish I hadn't played the demo, so I could still experience it for the first time.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 03:07:44 AM »

I just don't know.  I am really impressed with the atmosphere and concept but I got a bit tired of the shooting.  Odd since I love FPS but I was hoping for more atmosphere and less shooting.  It seemed like the plasmids were just different ways to kill, not ways to interact more with the world.   

I am still excited but I am going to rent first.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2007, 03:13:42 AM »

Thanks for that link Metallicorphan.  I love production art like this and collect production art books.

Things to remember:
This is just the demo, it was finished a long time ago so there's no doubt been changes.

The developers have stated that the first few levels are very linear so that they can more easily introduce players to the game and world.  As you go along things open up more.  In fact, that transition area between the medical district and the objective place (forgot what it was called) is likely the first area that you can backtrack to.  And the demo levels, despite having a linear goal, were actually built somewhat non linearly.  For example my friend playing through was about to miss the incinerate plasmid entirely.

Also, the demo is a bit more open in the skills it gives you.  I recall that the base ability to hack machines is actually a plasmid that you have to install, taking up a plasmid spot.  So in a way it's like one of those RPG choices, go tech hacker by taking the plasmid for hacking, or use that plasmid spot for other things like combat buffs.  The key here is that you aren't locked into that choice for the entire game, instead you can switch out plasmid sets at each plasmi-quick station, but you still have to pick and choose which plasmids you go with.  This keeps the game fresh, because I know there were many times in System Shock 2 that I got bored with my stealthy sneaker guy, and wanted to run and gun, but couldn't because my selected skills weren't in that area.

In all honestly, System Shock 2 had a lot of shooting, and most RPGs have a lot of combat.  There are some things that'll help you avoid shooting though, like mentioned, use the electricity in the water.  Deliberately trigger the security alarm, electro bolt the security bot, hack it and turn it friendly.  I don't think you can get more than one drone via this method as it doesn't give the opportunity to hack the second one.  However you can find another drone lying around already disabled that you can hack for two drones.

For those having trouble hearing voices, I suggest you turn the Sound Effects and Music volumes down to 50% and leave the voice volume at 100%.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2007, 03:19:53 AM »

I downloaded the demo and broke my blackout-  it DL'd pretty quickly which was surprising.  I'll definitely have to tweak the gamma settings.  I skipped over that part and the game seemed too dark.

The beginning was pretty cool, and there was a lot more shooting that I expected.  I glanced at the hacking mini-game but didn't really fool with it.  all in all this is definitely going to be a blast.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2007, 03:20:13 AM »

Very impressed but my main concern is that it almost might be *too* much like SS2.  That Atlas guy better not turn out to be a villain and I'm going to be pretty pissed if I keep getting sent to find/rescue people only to have them tugged out of arms reach repeatedly at the last minute because Irrational didn't program in a personal interaction system.  In SS2 when I realized around midgame that I would never, ever get to interact with a person it took some of the gloss off when I would get mission objectives to find them since I knew that something would always happen at the last minute. 

I also didn't care for the gunplay at all but I assume that the real neat stuff will be in the plasmids which the demo didn't show much of.  Good demo but I seem to be in the minority that will have no trouble sleeping waiting for the game to be released. 
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2007, 03:22:09 AM »

That was pretty f'ing awesome. Especially the movie at the end that shows everything that is going to be possible.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2007, 03:28:02 AM »

In another video they show a splicer actually talking to you about how bad Rapture has gotten while she's drinking water, not attacking, so there will be friendlies and people you meet.  One preview or interview I forget where mentions there's a whole area of non aggressive splicers that's a very twisted take on the whole refugee camp thing you see in other games.  I'd love to see them go ahead and make randomly generated splicers that won't attack you on sight, but will even run away, or talk to you and try to team up for a bit.  Heck, if I can mod the game I'll probably go ahead and do that.

I think the Atlas guy is definitely hiding secrets and bad deeds, but I'd bet money that he isn't evil or anywhere near the main villain.  He's probably done things that were horrible in order to survive, but so has everyone else in Rapture.  I think he's also more than human, probably has a lot of tech or a lot of plasmids what with the way he keeps tabs on you all the time like that.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2007, 03:29:05 AM »

Looks like they are trying to get a pc demo out before the game comes out. That would be nice. No matter how much I like it, it'll be a while before I can get it since I am seriously strapped for cash, and Metroid Prime 3 is my priority purchase for the month. Still, I'll definitely check out the PC demo when it's out.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2007, 03:43:14 AM »

awesome demo...never had much doubt that would be the case though.  while it definitely starts off as a linear shooter, i have faith that the options for play style will loosen up quite a bit once you get past the introductory areas.  the fact that you have 70 plasmids to choose from by the end of the game, as well as modifiable weapons, is evidence enough for me that i'll be able to mold the gameplay to my own style quite a bit.  my biggest question/concern right now is whether the game will be fun to replay with different abliities after you've experienced the story once.  while i'm sure the first experience will be exciting, how interesting will a second run be if you were pretty thorough about exploring during your initial run?

in any case, that opening sequence was pretty awesome and the game looks fantastic from a technical standpoint...some of the 360s best graphics yet, and the surround sound really sets an awesome stage.  i also think it's worth commenting on just how well the controls work.  selecting your desired weapon/plasmid, then switching from guns to plasmids mid-combat couldn't be much easier.  i can't wait to experience the full game next week icon_cool
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 04:13:30 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2007, 03:47:34 AM »

Quote from: Mookee on August 14, 2007, 03:22:09 AM

That was pretty f'ing awesome. Especially the movie at the end that shows everything that is going to be possible.

Agreed.  Huge thumbs here and I cannot wait for the full game to come out.  Will be preordering tomorrow when I pick up Madden.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2007, 06:35:50 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 13, 2007, 07:27:14 PM

Quote from: Louis Cypher on August 13, 2007, 07:13:10 PM

Quote from: Sparhawk on August 13, 2007, 05:59:50 PM

Quote from: Arclight on August 13, 2007, 02:09:12 PM

Yeah, got it first thing this morning. Fun demo. I'm not a FPS nut, but I do enjoy a well made one.
Atmosphere seems right on.......Visuals are nice but not Wowie wowie nice...

But......

It's a demo........All in all, I think it's a first day purchase...My only concern is how long it plays...

You've got to be kidding me. This is the best looking game on Xbox 360 yet period. Blows Gears of War out of the water imo.

It looks good, but it doesn't blow Gears out of the water

Agreed..I still say the visuals are good, but not WOW....

I think the differences are in the area of art direction between the two games. Technically I see nothing Bioshock is doing better(its even using the same base engine). I think some people like the look in the way the Bioshock world is displayed vs Gears mostly burnt and blasted out type areas. 
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2007, 01:38:18 PM »

Played the demo last night.  Good atmosphere with beautiful graphics and best water effects ever.  However, it is just not my cup of tea.  The setting and theme just did not grab me.  I did not really like the whole Plasmid thing.  It just seems out of place to me.  I think I'll pass.  It certainly was fun but I don't see it being a must play.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
siege

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2007, 01:52:48 PM »

Finally got it downloaded and ran through it this morning. I'm not blown away like a lot of people seem to be, but I'll certainly be buying it on day one. The visuals are gorgeous and it's got lots of atmosphere, but the combat is kind of boring. I'm sure that will change in the full version with access to all of the plasmids and what have you.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2007, 03:01:30 PM »

Quote from: siege on August 14, 2007, 01:52:48 PM

Finally got it downloaded and ran through it this morning. I'm not blown away like a lot of people seem to be, but I'll certainly be buying it on day one. The visuals are gorgeous and it's got lots of atmosphere, but the combat is kind of boring. I'm sure that will change in the full version with access to all of the plasmids and what have you.

on the Combat point of view,i was liking how you could electrify the water to kill of enemies,and i was hoping there would be more clever ways of killing of your foes in the rest of the game

hacking the mobile machine gun things,was quite cool...i actually took one of them with me in to the end lift or whatever it was...and i am gonna do that when i play the full game...see if they can touch me then!!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 14, 2007, 03:01:30 PM

Quote from: siege on August 14, 2007, 01:52:48 PM

on the Combat point of view,i was liking how you could electrify the water to kill of enemies,and i was hoping there would be more clever ways of killing of your foes in the rest of the game

hacking the mobile machine gun things,was quite cool...i actually took one of them with me in to the end lift or whatever it was...and i am gonna do that when i play the full game...see if they can touch me then!!

If you set someone on fire, they will seek out water to put themselves out.  Kinda cool. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2007, 03:13:47 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on August 14, 2007, 01:38:18 PM

Played the demo last night.  Good atmosphere with beautiful graphics and best water effects ever.  However, it is just not my cup of tea.  The setting and theme just did not grab me.  I did not really like the whole Plasmid thing.  It just seems out of place to me.  I think I'll pass.  It certainly was fun but I don't see it being a must play.

Not enough scantily clad witches, eh?  Tongue

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2007, 03:15:04 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 14, 2007, 03:13:00 PM

If you set someone on fire, they will seek out water to put themselves out.  Kinda cool. smile

I couldn't believe it the first time that happened.  I was cackling 'burn baby burn!' and all of a sudden she jumped into the water  eek

Because I can,
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2007, 03:27:14 PM »

I played the DEMO last night and I was amazed. I spent quite a bit of time just watching the flames on the water, checking out the detail in the stone steps, the lighting effects were incredible.

Then I noticed the plane tail was sinking, and I was like naw it must just be an effect that loops.  I watch a bit longer and notice that it is sinking and the plane finally vanishes.

The attention to detail is simply amazing. If the rest of the game is like the DEMO this will definitely be a cotender for GOTY.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
siege

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2007, 04:12:45 PM »

The baby carriage scene is creepy.  icon_twisted

I really love the intro. Possibly my favorite of any game, surpassing the original Half Life.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »

Quote from: siege on August 14, 2007, 04:12:45 PM

The baby carriage scene is creepy.  icon_twisted

That was a great use of lighting and shadows, plus it was even better when you found out what is in the carriage.

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2007, 04:15:14 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on August 14, 2007, 03:27:14 PM

I played the DEMO last night and I was amazed. I spent quite a bit of time just watching the flames on the water, checking out the detail in the stone steps, the lighting effects were incredible.

Then I noticed the plane tail was sinking, and I was like naw it must just be an effect that loops.  I watch a bit longer and notice that it is sinking and the plane finally vanishes.

The attention to detail is simply amazing. If the rest of the game is like the DEMO this will definitely be a cotender for GOTY.

GOTY? Well, I suppose thats possible given we haven't seen the full retail version yet. But from the demo I can't believe that this will be the best game of the year.......I'm really hoping not anyway.

While the visuals and atmosphere are top notch, the gameplay is so yesterday...I know, I know, FPS games aren't my favorite but still, I can't see this game being played through more than once. And then I can see it getting boring and frustrating toward the end.

Did anyone else notice the Half life reference near the beginning of the demo? The place where pip-boy(Atlas)tells you to pick up a "crowbar" or something...right near where you pick up the pipe-wrench.  With all the water around having a pipe-wrench fits.
But wasn't the first weapon you find in Half life a crowbar?

I wish I could "get" FPS games like some of you do.......after all the 360 sure does have its share of them.. icon_cry

Grace: Unmerited favor.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2007, 05:05:37 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on August 14, 2007, 01:38:18 PM

You are a strange and fascinating man Shifty.

In a good way of course.  slywink

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2007, 05:22:56 PM »

My jaw dropped after the movie screen went down on the bathesphere and the entire city of Rapture was displayed before you.  Awesome, awesome intro.

Although I shut it off right after I docked.  Already scared the piss out of me.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2007, 06:29:40 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on August 14, 2007, 05:22:56 PM

My jaw dropped after the movie screen went down on the bathesphere and the entire city of Rapture was displayed before you.  Awesome, awesome intro.

Although I shut it off right after I docked.  Already scared the piss out of me.

Is it really a scary game?  One of the attributes that would keep me from playing would be scares and creepy events.  There was a time when I was a horror movie fan, but I've more or less grown out of enjoying being scared, whether it be by games or by movies, and I'm not at all interested in a game that will scare me or creep me out in my own house.  I was only able to play a small portion of Fatal Frame on the PS2 before I couldn't take any more, and I managed to play just a few minutes of the Condemned demo before I had to turn it off because it creeped the hell out of me. 

If Bioshock is anything like that, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this one. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2007, 06:37:02 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 14, 2007, 06:29:40 PM

Is it really a scary game?  One of the attributes that would keep me from playing would be scares and creepy events.  There was a time when I was a horror movie fan, but I've more or less grown out of enjoying being scared, whether it be by games or by movies, and I'm not at all interested in a game that will scare me or creep me out in my own house.  I was only able to play a small portion of Fatal Frame on the PS2 before I couldn't take any more, and I managed to play just a few minutes of the Condemned demo before I had to turn it off because it creeped the hell out of me. 

If Bioshock is anything like that, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this one. 

I know exactly what you mean. I don't like a creepy setting that doesn't let up in its intensity. I've avoided numerous games over the years because of that.

The demo didn't creep me out much, but if the whole game is the same setting with the same intensity, I don't think I would like it much...
I would like games like this more if the pacing was better...You know, into the shite for a level then out of it for another level...etc...
Maybe the pacing in this game will be like that, I dunno.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2007, 06:37:13 PM »

It might help if you stop using Aveda hair and skin products and stop drinking tea at girly salons.

icon_wink

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2007, 06:38:13 PM »

The game has it's scary moment ala System Shock. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
The best moment in the demo for me was when you come off the elevator and you see the silhouette of the female splicer talking to the baby carriage and then seeing her baby is a .45 magnum  eek

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2007, 06:48:31 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 14, 2007, 06:38:13 PM

The game has it's scary moment ala System Shock. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
The best moment in the demo for me was when you come off the elevator and you see the silhouette of the female splicer talking to the baby carriage and then seeing her baby is a .45 magnum  eek

I've never played or even really heard of System Shock other than the references made in this thread.  Currently I'm working through Resident Evil 4 on the PS2 to pass the time while my 360 is being repaired/replaced, and even though the setting and use of music makes for a creepy, tense atmosphere, overall the game is more action-horror than survival-horror and I'm able to handle the minimal scares and creepiness.  But games like Fatal Frame and Condemned were just too much for my Aveda-treated candy-ass to handle. 

Even Gears of War had a few moments that caused me to jump, but overall the game was merely bullet-ridden chaos so I never really felt scared or creeped out.  Games with ghosts, weird visions, horror-like cinematography, and blatant scares just don't appeal to me.  I lasted all of about 2 minutes in the F.E.A.R. demo before I had enough, and I think even less in the Condemned demo.  If Bioshock is like Condemned or F.E.A.R I'll have to pass.  But if it's more like RE4 in terms of action versus scares, I might be okay.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2007, 07:16:02 PM »

Well, right after you dock someone comes to let you out of the bathesphere.  Let's just say the lighting/atmosphere/creature factor ramps up right then.  I'm a pussy.

FEAR and Fatal Frame does the same thing to me.  I can't make it past two minutes in either game.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2007, 07:22:37 PM »

I'm pretty much a wimp for scary games but Bioshock wasn't too bad from what was in the demo.  Atmospheric, yes, but nothing too creepy. 
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2007, 07:30:29 PM »

Wow, that's all I have to say abotu the demo. MY jaw dropped twice in the opening sequence. This game looks so good and it plays just as well.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2007, 09:10:19 PM »

Like I posted earlier, I wouldn't classify this as a scary, or even creepy game (based on the demo - maybe the full game is). It's suspenseful though.  Like Kevin said, it is atmospheric, but nothing beyond that.  You should be fine with this demo. 

Just to add more opinion - I've played through a second time and have a major complaint:  Death.  There is no consequence for it.  You just respawn in the vitachamber or whatever it's called.  The enemies stay at their hitpoints, so it's easy to actually take advantage of the death system.  I would have preferred that if you died- that's it, you have to reload.  Also, how come when the player character dies, he respawns, but the guy that is killed when you first arrive to Rapture, doesn't just respawn also?   saywhat

Don't get me wrong, I'm all over this game, but the death system sucks.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2007, 09:39:33 PM »

I totally agree with the death thing.  I think they flat blew it.  For you to respawn and the enemies still be where you left them healthwise is blatantly stupid.  Zero challenge. 

But I will still play and enjoy it.  But not a keeper.  Play and sell immediately.  So, you who are waiting, be ready.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2007, 09:52:34 PM »

Well, you could always just save occasionally and reload if you croak, right?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
siege

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2007, 09:56:43 PM »

Maybe it will be different on hard mode, which isn't included in the demo.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2007, 10:31:11 PM »

Quote from: siege on August 14, 2007, 09:56:43 PM

True.  I hope.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2007, 10:53:45 PM »

Quote from: siege on August 14, 2007, 09:56:43 PM

Actually it is!  http://kotaku.com/gaming/dying-is-too-easy/bioshock-demo-made-even-harder-289286.php

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2007, 12:31:29 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on August 14, 2007, 09:39:33 PM

I totally agree with the death thing.  I think they flat blew it.  For you to respawn and the enemies still be where you left them healthwise is blatantly stupid.  Zero challenge. 

But I will still play and enjoy it.  But not a keeper.  Play and sell immediately.  So, you who are waiting, be ready.

I didn't die at all in the demo so I didn't notice that.  I agree, that's kind of lame.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2007, 12:33:20 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 14, 2007, 06:48:31 PM

But games like Fatal Frame and Condemned were just too much for my Aveda-treated candy-ass to handle. 

Just have Simba sit next to you while you play so you can hug him if you get too scared.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: