http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:27:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioshock Demo on XBLM  (Read 5714 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2007, 11:49:26 AM »

There's some comment on it in the Bioshock thread, but I thought I'd start a proper thread for it.

I'm DLing it now, but don't know if I'll get a chance to play before departing on my latest road trip...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 01:09:07 PM »

I've gotta slog through work first...*sigh*  It's gonna be a long day.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 01:20:03 PM »

Shit!  Well, I guesss I'll try to D/L it this evening when I get home.  Guess I'll be avoiding these threads since I don't want a spoiler

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 02:09:12 PM »

Yeah, got it first thing this morning. Fun demo. I'm not a FPS nut, but I do enjoy a well made one.
Atmosphere seems right on.......Visuals are nice but not Wowie wowie nice...

But......

It's a demo........All in all, I think it's a first day purchase...My only concern is how long it plays...

Grace: Unmerited favor.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 02:11:23 PM »

Neat.  Thanks for the heads up... this will help me decide if I'm going to purchase it or not.

gellar
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 02:35:47 PM »

I went ahead and downloaded it this morning. It came down pretty quick....maybe 20 minutes for me.

Impressions (spoiler free)-

Atmosphere: This game has it in spades. Everything feels wet, imperfect and cold. Nice use of lighting and windows out into the ocean/background. It is also creepy as hell in a dark room with the surround sound turned up. If you every played System Shock 2, you know what I'm talking about. SS2 was so tense I couldn't play it for long stretches.

Graphics: The graphics are fantastic. While the textures aren't incredibly clear, the overall art direction and use of lighting and reflections makes for a rich feel. Best of all, the game seemed to run silky smooth on the 360.

Controls: In a word, awesome. I don't care for playing a FPS with the Xbox controller but the use of the shoulder buttons, contextual help, and other polished details made it a snap to play. In fact, it sold me on the 360 version over the PC.

Gameplay: I don't know that I played enough to fairly judge this, but it is certainly a day one purchase. Again, think System Shock 2 (only more polish) on how the game plays.

Opening: Really well done. Like something Valve would have done (huge compliment).

See more below-

Spoiler for Hiden:

I wasn't really sure I wanted to step out of the sphere after watching a guy get ripped to pieces. The lighting, drama, sound and presentation...very well done. Very Valve-like.

Anyway, great game.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 03:58:43 PM »

I appreciate the impressions, as I will not be downloading it.  I decided some time ago that this will be a day 1 purchase, and I imposed a media blackout months ago.  Since release is in a week, I have no need to play the demo.  I want to be all giddy when I pick it up on the 21st.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 04:46:10 PM »

I'm DLing it, but it's taking forever.  I started it at around 10 this morning, and as of 20 minutes ago, it was at 50%.  Maybe this is the gaming gods' way of telling me to wait for the full release.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 04:54:08 PM »

this was already pre-ordered, so i mainly wanted to check it out to see if i should swap out the 360 version for the pc because of controls.  either i've gotten better at fps without noticing it, or they really nailed the controls.  i think i'll stick with the 360 version just for the big screen + 5.1 stereo.  if this were a quake fast shooter, i'd be a bit hesitant, but the pace is slower and more measured.  if crysis were simultaneously releasing for the consoles, i would favor the pc version.

playing on a pc would heighten the isolation factor though, as i'd be using headphones in a much smaller room.  as i won't be running vista and run a 1900xt, i won't be doing dx10 any time soon.  the drop in graphic quality doesn't bother me as much as it used to, in any case.

loved the environment and the mood.  very authentic feeling.  the little things the splicers say when they aren't aware of you.  the extra pieces around the rooms add to the lived in feeling.  at one point a teddy bear is sitting on a table looking out of a window.  it just seems natural, as though the child who left it there was looking out and thinking of other worlds. there's a body holding on to the last semblance of wealth, as if he tried to take it with him. 

as for the gameplay, they give you enough of a taste of the weapons and powers that you can see how differently you can play this.  they let you work with or against the security systems, which i think will be the path i take through the game.  hacking is simple at this point, but i could see some tense moments with more advanced hacks later on.

all in all, if you are any way on the fence, try this out.  if you are already in, you could confirm your belief that this game is worth your money.  imo, this should run away with the action rpg of the year.  it should lose out to mass effect for straight rpg and i doubt anyone will professionally rank it above halo, but it definitely deserves to be a hit.

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 04:59:50 PM »

Not that it matters (I'll more than likely delete the Stranglehold demo to make the room) but how big of a D/L is it?

At work, and I have night classes, so double suckage here.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 05:05:18 PM »

1.35 gb.  set it and forget it.  until tomorrow when it finishes downloading.  it's what i did. 

of course, you could be luckier now that the first grab is over.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 05:16:41 PM »

Fantastic demo. Its going to be a long week  crybaby.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 05:29:44 PM »

Defiantly got some SS 2 deja vu right at the beginning with the guy who starts talking on the radio to you.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 05:51:27 PM »

as much as i loved the demo,i am really hoping for a backstory that will explain...everything!!!...because right now,your character,doesnt say anything,doesnt express any suprise at what he sees..and also doesnt ask questions to Atlas.....if i saw rapture like that i would at least say 'holy shit'....i was suprised that he reacted to the EVE he put in his body for the first time

Spoiler for Hiden:
did anyone else see that model of rapture in the glass case? it was dated november 1946 i think

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 05:59:50 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 13, 2007, 02:09:12 PM

Yeah, got it first thing this morning. Fun demo. I'm not a FPS nut, but I do enjoy a well made one.

But......

It's a demo........All in all, I think it's a first day purchase...My only concern is how long it plays...

You've got to be kidding me. This is the best looking game on Xbox 360 yet period. Blows Gears of War out of the water imo.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 13, 2007, 05:51:27 PM

as much as i loved the demo,i am really hoping for a backstory that will explain...everything!!!...because right now,your character,doesnt say anything,doesnt express any suprise at what he sees..and also doesnt ask questions to Atlas.....if i saw rapture like that i would at least say 'holy shit'....i was suprised that he reacted to the EVE he put in his body for the first time

Spoiler for Hiden:
did anyone else see that model of rapture in the glass case? it was dated november 1946 i think
Well, ifyou want it to be, the game game last hours upon hours. THe developers commented that you can really delve into the world and find out the whole backstory down to the story of individual people living/working there if you really wanted to. Which, by the way, is so effing cool.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 06:50:24 PM »

i understand the comparisons to system shock 2 i really do.  but this game is like system shock 2 in the same way invisible war was like deus ex.  thats not a knock on the game because it is beautiful, polished and should be an incredible game (at least what i took away from the demo) and invisible war was mediocre at best

it has the atmosphere of ss2 and the creepy scripted moments of system shock 2, but its definitely without the depth

oh and im surprised no one has mentioned it yet but the ai seems like its going to be fantastic - when fighting the girl in the basement of the dance club she was using the doorframe for cover just as much as i, peaking out and popping off shots then hiding.  when i pressed forward she actually dove and fired
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 06:56:39 PM »

I had little interest in this game up until trying the demo.  I'm not into shooters unless they are tactical shooters, which this is not.

However, as has been mentioned, the atmosphere (seems to be) ridiculously kick-ass.  I mean... whoah!

It will take me 3 times longer than the 'average-joe' to play a game like this because I will stop to look at everything.  Just a total slam dunk from an atmosphere/presentation standpoint.

"You killed my Charlie!" 

Nice!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 07:13:10 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on August 13, 2007, 05:59:50 PM

But......

You've got to be kidding me. This is the best looking game on Xbox 360 yet period. Blows Gears of War out of the water imo.

It looks good, but it doesn't blow Gears out of the water

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 07:15:28 PM »

This is the best looking game on Xbox 360 yet period. Blows Gears of War out of the water imo.

icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek

I can't wait to try this demo. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 07:18:09 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on August 13, 2007, 07:13:10 PM

But......

Of the two, at the end of the day which one still takes place in the water?

Game. Set. Match.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 07:27:14 PM »

Quote from: Louis Cypher on August 13, 2007, 07:13:10 PM

But......

Agreed..I still say the visuals are good, but not WOW....

Grace: Unmerited favor.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 07:44:31 PM »

Quote from: jimmyorr99 on August 13, 2007, 06:10:54 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 13, 2007, 05:51:27 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well, ifyou want it to be, the game game last hours upon hours. THe developers commented that you can really delve into the world and find out the whole backstory down to the story of individual people living/working there if you really wanted to. Which, by the way, is so effing cool.

wow,really??....that is cool,that will kick serious ass

and yeah i stop and look at everything as well,from plaques on the walls to reading what all the banners and posters say

No Gods or Kings.Only Man

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 08:15:08 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on August 13, 2007, 06:50:24 PM

it has the atmosphere of ss2 and the creepy scripted moments of system shock 2, but its definitely without the depth

Not that I think it will match SS2, but it's probably not too fair to judge a game's depth based on a 30 minute demo.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 08:30:25 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf
I appreciate the impressions, as I will not be downloading it.  I decided some time ago that this will be a day 1 purchase, and I imposed a media blackout months ago.  Since release is in a week, I have no need to play the demo.  I want to be all giddy when I pick it up on the 21st.

Ditto.  There's nothing that a demo could show me that would possibly make me more excited for this game, so playing one could only serve to spoil the final experience.  I'll choose to wait...one...more...week....

-Autistic Angel
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 08:32:12 PM »

the character development just isnt there.  remember in system shock, picking up that heavy assault rifle and having to make the choice of whether you want to be able to hack those new improved security boxes or wield the heavy hardware?  or how to "research" something you did more than snap a picture of it with a camera?  thats the depth i mean.  the 70+ plasmids (i think ive read?) give me hope but i know it just wont be the same - again it smacks of invisible war not ss2.  that stuff i can tell right off the bat, simply because theres no game system or mechanic in place to come close to it

however take what i say with a grain of salt because i was/am a HUGE system shock fanboy - and it wasnt because of the visuals or the story which i hardly remember, it was because of the shear number of options i had in crafting my character - so there are my biases i take in whenever i hear "its like system shock"
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 08:37:04 PM »

The demo just reinforced that I must get this game day one.  Just wish I was able to take some time off work to play it!  I set it to download last night, and for some reason when I woke up it was stuck at 25%.  No biggie, I restarted the dl and it got the whole thing in under 20 mins. 

First off I love the atmosphere in the world.  I love the 1940-50's atmosphere and took the time to explore every poster and nook and cranny I could find.  It took me just about an hour to complete the demo.  I really want to explore the full backstory and will complete as many sidequests as I can.  I loved the sounds also.  I play through headphones and it sounded great to me.   However, a creepy/scary game this is not.  It's suspenseful, but I'd limit it to that - at least based on the demo.  And finally, I thought the graphics were fantastic, right up there with if not better than GoW, all at silky smooth framerates.  I can't wait to delve into the full game.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:39:12 PM by Interloper » Logged

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 08:59:55 PM »

I can appreciate the complaints that its not as 'rpg' driven as SS2, but come on. Bioshock didn't set out to be SS3, its paving its own way, and I think its fantastic. SS2 to me, always seemed like 'i chose to be this/level up this skill, so when I reach this area of the game, I have to do this as opposed to that'. Bioshock says 'you have x amount of tools to use, pick one to make your way through this encounter.'

So, while it may seem more limiting just by looks, I think overall you have just as much depth as SS2, and in some regards more so, since each situation can be handled more dynamically than SS2.

(Warning: Its been years since I finished SS2, so I'm going off of memories of how the skill system worked, but my impressions of the game remain the same.)
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 09:14:49 PM »

Great news. I'm gonna go DL it as soon as I get home!!!

Oh wait, that's right, I can't! My 360 died last week and shipped out for repairs today.....Damn... crybaby

Oh well, I have it pre-ordered for the PC anyway.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 10:03:41 PM »

i was just re-reading the OXM review(it got 10/10 remember)

and it says that if you rush through the game,the main plot and you know what to do and do everthing straight away,you could proberbly finish the game in 8 hrs......but if you want to uncover sub plots and go at a normal pace it would take you at least 24hrs...they also said it was a rollercoster of a main plot that they wouldnt say aything about as they knew it would spoil things

Spoiler for Hiden:
as i have now found the subtitles i can hear/read a lot more that i missed the first time round...for one,is the first guy who gets killed from the splicer just as you entered rapture is a friend of Atlas's also some of the recording of the lonely woman at new years eve screaming that she is bleeding at the end of the recording....lol,and also when you are knocked out after first taking ADAM,and the little sister calling the big daddy 'mr bubbles'<<<i missed all of that without the subtitles

some more stuff i noticed when going at an incredibly slow pace was some picket cards on the floor saying things like 'Ryan doesnt own us'.....'Rapture is dead'......'Let it end,let us ascend'....and 'we're not your property'

one more thing is your character...with it being 1960,i am quite interested why he has those Tattoos of chains on his wrists...maybe slightly common in this age,but not that common in 1960....and also some of the banners around Rapture say things like 'industry is the chain that binds us'(or something like that)...so,could there be a 'link'(hee hee see what i d...oh forget it) between Rapture and your character?

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 10:32:02 PM »

I am still at work, doing overtime to afford all the games at month end. What kills it for me in games is the respawn. are characters re-spawning when you leave and reenter an area?

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 10:34:35 PM »

Cannot say for certain, as the demo was very linear, and once you left and area you couldn't reenter it.  But, I not once noticed any respawning on my play through.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 10:39:18 PM »

Up to this point I have had absolutely zero interest in Bioshock.  I'm not sure why, but creepy or scary games just don't appeal to me, and I've had the impression that this was going to be both a creepy and scary game.  However, based on what I've read so far, it doesn't sound like it will be too scary and will have a great deal of story to explore.  Damn you for putting this game on my radar.  I'll have to check out the demo when my 360 comes back.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2007, 11:07:20 PM »

When Irrational announced Bioshock, *they* called it a "spiritual successor to System Shock" so they have no one to blame but themselves (and the title they chose for the game) for people comparing it to System Shock 2. I am a little disappointed by some of the comments that this is more of a shooter and lacks SS2's RPG elements, but I'm still very interested in trying it out myself. Curses to them for not having a PC demo yet!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007, 11:12:55 PM »

Opening part with the crash and the elevator ride just changed this from a rental to a purchase.  I need surround sound!!!

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2007, 11:35:28 PM »

Quote from: JCC on August 13, 2007, 11:07:20 PM

When Irrational announced Bioshock, *they* called it a "spiritual successor to System Shock" so they have no one to blame but themselves (and the title they chose for the game) for people comparing it to System Shock 2. I am a little disappointed by some of the comments that this is more of a shooter and lacks SS2's RPG elements, but I'm still very interested in trying it out myself. Curses to them for not having a PC demo yet!

to be fair, you only get access to Two of the powers in the demo, there seems to be everything SS2 had and more. You can alter and upgrade your weapons, and I've seen several videos showing how you can combine the powers to come up with some crazy results. I think the game will definitely lean more shooter, but I definitely see the RPG-type stuff being there as well, it just that it isn't as prominent as it was in System Shock 2.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 12:06:59 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on August 13, 2007, 11:12:55 PM

Opening part with the crash and the elevator ride just changed this from a rental to a purchase.  I need surround sound!!!

My thoughts exactly, including the desire to buy a surround sound system just for this game.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 12:25:10 AM »

Been downloading for over 4 hours now and I'm only 25% complete.  saywhat
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 12:39:52 AM »

bare with it siege its all worth it in the end

you can now download the 60page art book from the 2k site(below)..its free to download,and it took about 1minute 30 for the high res one(its zipped)
some of the art work is quite cool and there are early art attempts at stuff here

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/artbook.html

beware though,i think it may contains some spoilers for bad guy designs etc

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 01:06:02 AM »

Wow.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print