http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 03:33:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioshock available for pre-order/load on Steam; Demo Friday @ Fileshack  (Read 5603 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2007, 03:36:44 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 20, 2007, 03:21:28 PM

Yeah I'm sure it's some silly reason.  Oh well, I'll be clicking away come 1 PM to get it authorized and getting my ass in Rapture!

like I said before, gods help them if the Authentication servers get b0rked.  Their forums will implode.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2007, 06:45:31 PM »

Demo still wasn't active when I went to work today. frown

I am leaving at 11PM and have to be back at work tommorow from 8AM-4PM, so by the time the demo gets activated I will have the full game. Wasted the download. Damn.
Raider H
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2007, 08:00:03 PM »

For what it's worth, even the RETAIL version of the game is still locked.  I picked it up at Circuit City yesterday (Sunday) and installed it.  After installation it then had to authenticate (even the box states that an internet connection is required) which it then promptly told me that Bioshock was not available until August 21st and I should uninstall the game and then reinstall it on the 21st.....  Going to try again this evening when I get home from work.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2007, 08:05:38 PM »

The demo is supposed to be active at 7 PM EST. Of course, rumor has it that the demo is already available on some BitTorrent sites...
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2007, 08:06:05 PM »

Quote from: Raider H on August 20, 2007, 08:00:03 PM

For what it's worth, even the RETAIL version of the game is still locked.  I picked it up at Circuit City yesterday (Sunday) and installed it.  After installation it then had to authenticate (even the box states that an internet connection is required) which it then promptly told me that Bioshock was not available until August 21st and I should uninstall the game and then reinstall it on the 21st.....  Going to try again this evening when I get home from work.

That's really interesting since the 360 version is not locked.  People have been playing it since late last week.

Between the demo fiasco and this news, the PC version is looking rather second class.  At least it's $10 cheaper.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2007, 09:33:55 PM »

The nVidia drivers promised today are out.  They're BETAs.  I was hoping to not have BETA drivers to try, maybe I'll give the game a shot before installing these.  I have a core 2 duo, 2 GB RAM,  and an 8800 GTS, so maybe it'll be fast enough as is.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2007, 09:49:53 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on August 20, 2007, 08:05:38 PM

The demo is supposed to be active at 7 PM EST. Of course, rumor has it that the demo is already available on some BitTorrent sites...

I can confirm that you are correct. Or at least it looks like it (as I sure as heck aren't going to find out). Surprisingly though, I don't see the PC version itself (although there are a TON of 360 torrents up, and a few that are labeled a crack for the PC version's activation verification).

EDIT: According to the torrent, the demo file was taken directly from Fileplanet before they put up a workaround to keep people from unlocking the download.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2007, 09:55:21 PM »

Quote from: Raider H on August 20, 2007, 08:00:03 PM

If I wasn't so damn hyped for this, that would cause me to cancel the game, even though I am getting it on the 21st. There is no reason to punish the consumer's for mistakes that retail stores make. What if someone just picked it up without actually know the details about activation (I didn't even know until very recently). The box says Internet connection required, but does it say cannot be played until the 21st?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »

That's why I'm so pissed about 'online activation' for a single player ONLY PC game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2007, 11:05:32 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 20, 2007, 10:58:03 PM

That's why I'm so pissed about 'online activation' for a single player ONLY PC game.

Agreed.  I can't put into words how lame I think this is.  That's why I have written off all Steam type of games.  No more Half Life for me.  Ever.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2007, 11:07:07 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 20, 2007, 09:33:55 PM

The nVidia drivers promised today are out.  They're BETAs.  I was hoping to not have BETA drivers to try, maybe I'll give the game a shot before installing these.  I have a core 2 duo, 2 GB RAM,  and an 8800 GTS, so maybe it'll be fast enough as is.
Have they improved anything? Are they worth dling?
Raider H
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2007, 11:31:42 PM »

Still can't play the retail PC version yet as of about 6 pm on the 20th.  I tried stopping the auto patch which runs towards the end of installation and if you cancel it, then it just cancels the whole install and you have to start over from scratch (takes about 15 minutes to install).  After you "patch" during which it shows it is downloading some DirectX updates - didn't notice what else (I'm sure authenticating but it doesn't say so) it then gives you a check box to check your vid drivers, readme file and run the game - in this case it took me to the nzone because it said my drivers were out of date but nothing was available on the site except "Bioshock demo coming soon".

The Bioshock icon on the desktop is the generic windows icon when it can't find an icon file and when you try to run it, it gives you the pop up about Bioshock not being available until August 21st (in a "dos box").  Install is about 5.5 GB FYI.

Regarding the packaging, on the back of the box under system requirements it says "Internet required for activation" and at the end "Important Note:  Game requires Internet connection for activation".  Doesn't say anything about the 21st though.  The very first thing in the manual says "Please ensure your computer is connected to the Internet prior to beginning the BioShock installation...The installation process will conduct a one time online check to verify the discs and download an activation file, and will prompt you for an installation code" (Which is a just a standard 20 digit code).

This has me also wondering.....how does this authentication affect reinstalls?  If you build a new system or your HD crashes is the authentication system going to let you reinstall or is it going to give you grief about your product key already being registered/authenticated?

Be sure to check out the default.ini file when you finally do install.  It is fully commented and great reading - I'm wondering if they forgot to take out all the comments.  For instance did you know it's more important to cache bulk textures than streaming music?  icon_smile   Couple of interesting ones:

; Rowan: disable IpDrb coz we have no network code

XBox360 file caching hints 

; CACHE THESE FILES
; Files that should be always try to be cached, and
; needed (e.g., files that are needed all the time)
;
; NOTES ON WHY THESE FILES ARE LISTED AND IN THIS ORDER: these files
; are listed this way for a particular reason.
;
;  First, they are listed in the reverse order that we want them
;  cached. This is because, for some reason, the Microsoft caching
;  system caches them in the opposite order that we ask it to.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2007, 11:56:15 PM »

Raider....how large is the manual?  Would you purchase Bioshock in the store just for the manual?  If not, I'm going the Steam route.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2007, 12:01:59 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on August 20, 2007, 11:05:32 PM

Quote from: Destructor on August 20, 2007, 10:58:03 PM

Agreed.  I can't put into words how lame I think this is.  That's why I have written off all Steam type of games.  No more Half Life for me.  Ever.

If you had to do it everytime I could see the complaint, but it's only necessary once with Bioshock.  And Steam is fine with it as well; I had no internet for a month earlier this year and only dial-up for a month after that and had no problems playing all my Steam games.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »

so, any chance GT is going to be hosting the demo?  icon_wink

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2007, 12:50:12 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 21, 2007, 12:08:13 AM

The Steam demo download was actually pretty quick for me.  Going to test it out shortly.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2007, 12:55:35 AM »

Can't get File Planets stupid Download Manager to update, so I can't even get in line for the demo.

I already played the 360 demo, I just want to see how it runs on my PC.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2007, 01:31:44 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 21, 2007, 12:50:12 AM

The Steam demo download was actually pretty quick for me.  Going to test it out shortly.

Didn't even know it was on Steam, shit, dling it from there now.
Raider H
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2007, 02:26:51 AM »

Greggy_D...The manual is 37 total pages of which the last 10 are credits, BFG ad, warranty etc..  It is full color however and while it doesn't have that much useful information in it (no different than most manuals these days) it is pretty well themed with plenty of screenshots.  Looking over the 10 or so recent games sitting around my desk only Rise of Legends also has a color manual.  Only other item in the case is a $20 MIR for a SB X-FI XtremeGamer & $10 MIR on Fatal1ty Gaming Headset and voucher for 1 Creative Labs Leetspeek Webinar  slywink. Also, its only $39.99 at Circuit City so my vote is with the hard copy.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2007, 02:52:37 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 20, 2007, 11:07:07 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on August 20, 2007, 09:33:55 PM

Have they improved anything? Are they worth dling?

I posted in a diff thread about my performance with that system and the new drivers.  I don't know about any other games, but Bioshock ran smooth as silk.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2007, 03:05:03 AM »

Ran it on and AMD 4400, 2gigs RAM, and a 7800 GTX at 1280x960, not perfect, but not bad, way better than I expected. After playing both the 360 and PC version I am without out a doubt buying the PC version, for the controls alone. I felt much more comfortable playing with a mouse and keyboard. Plus this is one of those games to show off your PC down the road. Once I get a Dirext X 10 card, I think the game will be near perfect performance wise.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2007, 03:08:32 AM »

I would love to upload it, but sadly, it would take me all night and day with my crappy upload speed.  Maybe if you ask Ron nicely he will be able to upload when he is at work again Tongue

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2007, 03:51:44 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on August 21, 2007, 03:08:32 AM

I would love to upload it, but sadly, it would take me all night and day with my crappy upload speed.  Maybe if you ask Ron nicely he will be able to upload when he is at work again Tongue

It would be against the rules to bust the Fileplanet embargo.

(opens ftp client)

I would never do that!

(begins uploading...)

That'd be WRONG!

(ask and ye shall receive via PM to control leeching - give me till the morning)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2007, 04:52:34 AM »

I actually got the demo via Steam.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2007, 04:54:34 AM »

oh yeah, since we got multiple threads about the demo  Tongue

Grabbed it, played it with everything maxed at 1440x900.  Ran as smooth as butter beyond some slight stuttering when the Bioshock logo appears at the beginning.  and I'm not using those 'beta' drivers.
* CeeKay sniffs in disdain

Looks like you'll have to force AA via the nVidia Control panel, and even then it makes little difference other than affecting your FPS (according to TweakGuides).  I have no clue what 'global lighting' does, so I left it on.  The mouse/Keyboard combo works extremely well in the demo- headshots count in this game so ammo was not an issue for me.  The water looks purty too.

I was trying to find the video that compares the DX10 effects but I can't find it.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2007, 05:12:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 21, 2007, 04:52:34 AM

me too, took like 20 minutes. I fucking love Steam.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2007, 05:32:05 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 21, 2007, 05:12:42 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 21, 2007, 04:52:34 AM

me too, took like 20 minutes. I fucking love Steam.

+1
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2007, 10:37:23 AM »

Wow - I was barely expecting the demo to run on my computer, but it ran beautifully. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1 GB of RAM, and a GeForce 7600GS. At 1024x768 and all the settings on high, the game ran very nicely. Not exactly silky smooth, but perfect playable.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »

That's good news Eddie- I've got a similar system (P4. 3.0 Ghz, 2 GB Ram, GeForce 7800GS).  I'm pretty much set on the 360 version but I'll have to give the PC demo a whirl just to see how my PC will do with it. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2007, 01:55:08 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 21, 2007, 10:37:23 AM

Wow - I was barely expecting the demo to run on my computer, but it ran beautifully. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1 GB of RAM, and a GeForce 7600GS. At 1024x768 and all the settings on high, the game ran very nicely. Not exactly silky smooth, but perfect playable.

Is your video card AGP or PCI Express?  I'm assuming PCI, because from some of the reports at Qt3, it sounds like for this game AGP is the weak link for those of us in the Athlon 64 3500+ realm.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2007, 02:06:05 PM »

Quote from: Raider H on August 21, 2007, 02:26:51 AM

Also, its only $39.99 at Circuit City so my vote is with the hard copy.

Raider.....thanks for the info and for the CC reminder!  nod
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2007, 02:11:10 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on August 21, 2007, 02:06:05 PM

Quote from: Raider H on August 21, 2007, 02:26:51 AM

Also, its only $39.99 at Circuit City so my vote is with the hard copy.
Raider.....thanks for the info and for the CC reminder!  nod

Also, in the Steals and Deals forum, I posted a 10% off coupon for everything that Gamestop sells (short of consoles). It won't save you as much, but it'll be useful if you buy other things.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2007, 05:46:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 21, 2007, 01:55:08 PM

Quote from: EddieA on August 21, 2007, 10:37:23 AM

Is your video card AGP or PCI Express?  I'm assuming PCI, because from some of the reports at Qt3, it sounds like for this game AGP is the weak link for those of us in the Athlon 64 3500+ realm.

It's PCI-Express.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2007, 08:02:19 PM »

1 PM PST and I still can't play....BAH!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2007, 08:13:41 PM »

Ok Steam is now decrypting my files.....slowly... crybaby

EDIT:  Crimmeny, now it's downloading more files!  mad
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:20:06 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2007, 08:29:17 PM »

This is the time when Steam falls a little short.  When a few thousand of us all want to play at the same time. biggrin

I preloaded the full game at about 700kb/s, now the update is barely breaking 40kb/s.

I figure it should finish just in time for me to go to work tonight. icon_lol

16-bit and loving it!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2007, 08:50:48 PM »

LOL "Failed to contact key server"

This is the last time I buy a new game off of Steam.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2007, 09:31:51 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 21, 2007, 08:50:48 PM

LOL "Failed to contact key server"

This is the last time I buy a new game off of Steam.

While Steam is having some issues meeting demand right now, I don't think the key server issue is their fault.  Every copy of Bioshock (PC version) has a onetime online key activation.  As far as I know, that activation isnít done through Steam.  Although Iím sure the 2K server or whatever is responsible for the key activation, much like Steam, canít keep up with day one demand.

Edit: I should add I got the same message once through Steam, tried to launch it again and it apparently has now activated.  Might take a minute or two, but hopefully shouldn't cause any serious delays.  The slow download from Steam is my only gripe right now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 09:33:38 PM by Windows95 » Logged

16-bit and loving it!
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2007, 10:15:04 PM »

Athlon FX-53, Geforce 7800 GS AGP, 2 gigs of RAM and the demo runs like shit, even at 1024x768 and medium settings. Average about 20 fps and worse when the shooting starts. I'll wait until I get my new computer next year before I buy.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »

Quote from: ioticus on August 21, 2007, 10:15:04 PM

Athlon FX-53, Geforce 7800 GS AGP, 2 gigs of RAM and the demo runs like shit, even at 1024x768 and medium settings. Average about 20 fps and worse when the shooting starts. I'll wait until I get my new computer next year before I buy.
Something's not right... I have a comparable rig and the demo runs fine at 1920x1200
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: