http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 11:22:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bioshock 2 Replay  (Read 722 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2010, 10:04:38 AM »

Decided to give this one another go, to see if I appreciate it any more and then debate the DLC.  First time around I didn't really care for it, but then again I was just coming off of Mass Effect 2 and the slight disappointment I felt with that.  This time I'll have to try the Plasmids I didn't use before, hopefully it'll mix things up a bit.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »

I guess I never really saw why people slammed the game so much. The fact that you can use both plasmids and guns at once totally changed a lot of the combat and the game was definitely much better because of it.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 01:29:56 PM »

I liked the game quite a lot. There was no way they could duplicate that feeling of your first step into rapture, but there were some very good new areas. There was no backtracking between areas, but each area was big, so it never felt like a corridor crawl. I also liked the parts where you defended little sisters because I could look at the room and figure out the best way to set up defenses. I don't know that I needed to do it quite so many times, but if you're not going for an achievement or "good" ending, you can harvest the little sisters and avoid that altogether. There's one point in the game that I thought was possibly the most clever section I've ever played in a game, but I won't spoil what it is and when it happens.

I have the Minerva's Den DLC but haven't played it yet.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:05 AM »

man, this is an FPS and I know I shouldn't be getting bored but damned if I ain't.  the gun/plasmid mechanic is cool, but every time it comes to defend a little sister I just roll my eyes and mutter 'once again into the breach'.  I think I'm just going to give my copy to a friend and hope for Infinite to be better.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 06:06:15 PM »

I really need to give the Minerva's Den DLC a spin...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:04:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 30, 2010, 12:30:05 AM

man, this is an FPS and I know I shouldn't be getting bored but damned if I ain't.  the gun/plasmid mechanic is cool, but every time it comes to defend a little sister I just roll my eyes and mutter 'once again into the breach'.  I think I'm just going to give my copy to a friend and hope for Infinite to be better.

Feel the same way here.  I got about 75% through I think, and haven't played in months.  I might try to just be evil and harvest the little sisters to skip over the defending thing.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on December 30, 2010, 07:04:39 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 30, 2010, 12:30:05 AM

Feel the same way here.  I got about 75% through I think, and haven't played in months.  I might try to just be evil and harvest the little sisters to skip over the defending thing.

Yeah, I got bored as well and didn't finish.

Also, the 'action flow' doesn't feel right for me. The fights feel confusing, the enemies hit you hard and run fast, there are too many options to play around with (what gun/plasmid combo to use, what gun to upgrade, what frickin' bullet to use...). In moderate amounts I really like this, but somehow I felt I was always using the wrong gun with the wrong ammo for every situation, and I got stressed out  retard  But I'm sure others loved this system (because in theory, I would too).
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 06:28:34 PM »

The game is just longer than it needs to be. The average FPS seems to be 6-8 hours these days, and rightfully so, but it took me around 11 hours to get through this.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 09:26:49 PM »

I enjoyed it, but it was definitely a slog. By the end I just wanted it to be over. Compared to the first BioShock, where I was actually sad the journey was finished.

I agree with Teggy - a great deal of my "meh" feelings were probably due to the fact that it couldn't replicate the first thrill of seeing Rapture. It was more of the same - not a bad thing, but not something to make me jump out of my seat either. Also, I really, really hated the "protect the Little Sister" sequences. I hated the one time you had to do it in the first game, and when I realized I'd have to do it multiple times in this one it nearly made me want to quit right then and there.

Add to it that the storyline wasn't nearly as compelling or original as the first one and it was a recipe for mediocrity. The plasma/gun combo was outstanding, but that wasn't enough by itself to make it anywhere close to as good as the original for me. I kind of wish they had waited a longer period of time between games and did something really revolutionary (i.e. Half Life vs Half Life 2), rather than do what felt like a ridiculously long expansion pack.

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 08:07:58 AM »

Yes, the setting wasnít new or interesting anymore. I would actually have enjoyed a prequel, where at the beginning you would witness Rapture in all itís glory, and then end the game at the start of the war on new yearís eve. It would have meant a different kind of game though with not as many opportunities for action pieces.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »

a little EVE Hypo commercial.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:07:30 AM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on January 07, 2011, 08:07:58 AM

Yes, the setting wasnít new or interesting anymore. I would actually have enjoyed a prequel, where at the beginning you would witness Rapture in all itís glory, and then end the game at the start of the war on new yearís eve. It would have meant a different kind of game though with not as many opportunities for action pieces.

yeah, something like they did in MP.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »

I actually enjoyed Bioshock 2, but there was no way they could replicate the first game.  Still good fun and like the weapon & plasmid change

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: