http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 08:32:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big three comment on next generation consoles...  (Read 1396 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2005, 02:20:44 PM »

I thought this was a mildly interesting article - a Japanese mag asked the bigwigs at Sony, MS, and Nintendo the same three questions.  The results are the normal posturing, snipping, etc.

Sony and MS really seem to have it out for each other these days...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 02:36:44 PM »

Alright, confession time.

I stopped reading becuae the layout was so poor that I wasn't sure of who said what, etc.

So, was it actually interesting?  Or was it "we are great, they suck"?

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 03:04:03 PM »

Summary:
Microsoft: PS3 is a lot like Xbox360 but with useless features we think are far fetched. We have a good feeling we will beat Sony, and Nintendo is just being silly. (And we don't want to use a new disc format because we're on the fence about that one.)  Oh, and we'll probably be cheaper than the PS3 too!

Sony: PS3 WILL KICK XBOX360'S ASS! IT WILL POOP IT IN IT'S MOUTH AS IF IT WAS A CHINESE SCHOOL GIRL! YEAH BITCHES! Just like how we, uh, kicked Nintendo's ass, cos, you know, it wasn't like the SNES was four years old when we released the Playstation or anything, and people totally gobbled up our PSX. See, I have good examples! Oh yeah, and Nintendo sucks too. (And the success of the DVD format is solely because of the PS2. So, obviously, the PS3 using Blu-ray will make Blu-ray famous and help us sell a lot of HD TVS!)

Nintendo: We want to make fun games. That's about it, really, ho-hum, we don't think that being all flashy and big and stuff will make us more money like the other guys, so we're focusing on making a fun and cheap product people will feel willing to buy. (And we're not using a new storage format because we see absolutely no reason to, aside from potentially rasing prices.)

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 03:12:21 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Summary:
Microsoft: PS3 is a lot like Xbox360 but with useless features we think are far fetched. We have a good feeling we will beat Sony, and Nintendo is just being silly. (And we don't want to use a new disc format because we're on the fence about that one.)  Oh, and we'll probably be cheaper than the PS3 too!

Sony: PS3 WILL KICK XBOX360'S ASS! IT WILL POOP IT IN IT'S MOUTH AS IF IT WAS A CHINESE SCHOOL GIRL! YEAH BITCHES! Just like how we, uh, kicked Nintendo's ass, cos, you know, it wasn't like the SNES was four years old when we released the Playstation or anything, and people totally gobbled up our PSX. See, I have good examples! Oh yeah, and Nintendo sucks too. (And the success of the DVD format is solely because of the PS2. So, obviously, the PS3 using Blu-ray will make Blu-ray famous and help us sell a lot of HD TVS!)

Nintendo: We want to make fun games. That's about it, really, ho-hum, we don't think that being all flashy and big and stuff will make us more money like the other guys, so we're focusing on making a fun and cheap product people will feel willing to buy. (And we're not using a new storage format because we see absolutely no reason to, aside from potentially rasing prices.)

Awww..someone's not biased at all!!!! How cute.  :?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 03:22:13 PM »

I'm shocked that Dimmona posted an article that made Nintendo look like the good guy!  :wink:

Then again, I knew what to expect!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 03:52:10 PM »

This sentance is why nintendo is having trouble catching up with the other two:

Patting a dog and telling it to stay [in Nintendogs] is something that anyone can enjoy.

Wow, how disconnected is nintendo?

And dimmona was pretty right on with his summary. Nintendo doesnt seem to get involved  in the bashing between the other two. Probably because they dont really have a chance right now.

This line from sony is great:

When we released the original PlayStation at 39,800 yen ($368), Nintendo's Super Famicom was in the 10,000 yen range ($100 range). Still, everyone went for the PlayStation.

And believe it or not, ms is one upping sony by pointing out that the xbox sold more units in the last 4 years then classic nes systems were sold in the same 4 year period. Thats why price doesnt matter!  :wink:  :roll:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 04:13:10 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
This sentance is why nintendo is having trouble catching up with the other two:

Patting a dog and telling it to stay [in Nintendogs] is something that anyone can enjoy.

Wow, how disconnected is nintendo?

And dimmona was pretty right on with his summary. Nintendo doesnt seem to get involved  in the bashing between the other two. Probably because they dont really have a chance right now.

This line from sony is great:

When we released the original PlayStation at 39,800 yen ($368), Nintendo's Super Famicom was in the 10,000 yen range ($100 range). Still, everyone went for the PlayStation.

And believe it or not, ms is one upping sony by pointing out that the xbox sold more units in the last 4 years then classic nes systems were sold in the same 4 year period. Thats why price doesnt matter!  :wink:  :roll:

But remember Chris-Nintendo was clearly the "winner" of that article. Maybe that insane Japanese guy doubling as Dimmona's avatar is influencing his posting partiality.
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 07:06:51 PM »

This sentance is why nintendo is having trouble catching up with the other two

No, one of the main reasons that Nintendo is having trouble catchin gup with the other two is the "This is the shiznit, yo!" mentality surrounding those other two consoles. Sony started playing that card with the PS1 (despite similarly kid friendly representation as Crash Bandicoot and the like) and really ramped it up for PS2. Micro$oft followed on those coat tails and the media gobbled it up. The teen masses followed.

While Nintendo hasn't help shed it's light hearted image over the years by continuing to feature Mario, Link, Samus, and such, they've continued to produce fantastic gameplay throughout each of it's generations. That is almost always overlooked by the bright-shiny centric crowds of today. I expect this trend to continue next generation as well... and to be honest I'm counting on it.

Even now, into my 30s, Nintendo has never failed to provide me with entertaining and innovative gameplay. Gameplay and magic that just cannot be captured on the PC. If that means I have to resort to using my PC for my shoot 'em simulators and other such mature games, so be it. It's my choice. Just as it's anyone's choice NOT to support Nintendo (or whomever). We should be celebrating these choices rather than bashing them.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 07:40:35 PM »

To me, I don't really care what system I am playing on, I care more about the game. Right now I have a ps2 that i have had for 3 years or so and I only have around 10 games, and a gamecube that I got almost a year and have about 7.  

If these developers would focus on their games like they do with competing with systems, then I would have something to worry about. but until then I'll just sit back and wait for some good games before I sell my soul to buy a system that does nothing for me other than clear my wallet and look pretty.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 05:13:53 AM »

Quote from: "fyedaddy"
This sentance is why nintendo is having trouble catching up with the other two

No, one of the main reasons that Nintendo is having trouble catchin gup with the other two is the "This is the shiznit, yo!" mentality surrounding those other two consoles. Sony started playing that card with the PS1 (despite similarly kid friendly representation as Crash Bandicoot and the like) and really ramped it up for PS2. Micro$oft followed on those coat tails and the media gobbled it up. The teen masses followed.

While Nintendo hasn't help shed it's light hearted image over the years by continuing to feature Mario, Link, Samus, and such, they've continued to produce fantastic gameplay throughout each of it's generations. That is almost always overlooked by the bright-shiny centric crowds of today. I expect this trend to continue next generation as well... and to be honest I'm counting on it.

Even now, into my 30s, Nintendo has never failed to provide me with entertaining and innovative gameplay. Gameplay and magic that just cannot be captured on the PC. If that means I have to resort to using my PC for my shoot 'em simulators and other such mature games, so be it. It's my choice. Just as it's anyone's choice NOT to support Nintendo (or whomever). We should be celebrating these choices rather than bashing them.

Im sorry, did you think I was bashing nintendo? Nintendo is disconnected from the gaming community. If they wernt, they would stay more mainstream. If you took what I said as some overriding attack on nintendo, then you need to really think about it. Nintendo may produce great gameplay, but they are getting farther and farther away from the gaming community. They have brand spanking new handheld out with some great possibilities, and actually have some serious competition in the handheld market and what are they pimping? A game where you can pat a dog. Please. Get your head on nintendo. They are so self absorbed in japan. It is really hurting them. Im sorry I dont "celebrate their choices" and I think I can bash it all I want. It isnt smart bussiness. How long can nintendo hold on while continuing to lose market share in both the console market and the handheld market? They are still making money now but how long can that last? I would hope for a long time, but common sense says otherwise.

You want to know the truth? I love nintendo. I own a gamecube and a gba. Somehow you took my saying nintendo is getting disconnected from the gaming community (which I truly believe it is) to mean that people shouldnt like nintendo and that I should celebrate their choices. To be honest, I dont know where the hell you are coming from. I believe I should be able to criticize nintendo, and that line really summarized well the way nintendo seems to think about gamers. I want nintendo to do well and I too have enjoyed all three of their games over this generation, but I think the most storied video game company can do a little better then a company knwon for making electronics and a company making operating systems.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 07:03:02 AM »

AS: Why doesn't the Xbox 360 adopt a next-generation disc format?

RB: The next-generation disc standard hasn't been solidified yet. Sony is taking a risk. We can decide after the standard has been created.

Anyone else notice this?  It's interesting because everyone's touting the "five year" lifespan of a console.  I'm starting to envision a Xbox 360.5 or Rev II with a next-gen standard optical drive in the middle of the product's life cycle if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD takes off.  But it won't happen in the next five years, will it?  Am I paranoid in thinking this?

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 03:45:18 PM »

Im sorry, did you think I was bashing nintendo?

My response wasn't directed at you or attacking your comments. It was meant to be a general summuary at the mainstream concensus. You have every right to  criticize them as I do to praise them.

I have my concerns over some of their general business practices myself and do not view their choices through rose colored glasses. They're certainly losing ground to their competition and aren't taking the expected actions to win back the 15-25 console target audience. But in the meantime they continue to release outstanding titles and systems. Titles and systems some of which would not have seen the light of day if they chose to sacrafice them in lieu of pleasing the general public. I'm glad they didn't. Double edged sword there... yes I want my favorite gaming company to be and stay on "top" indefinitely, but if they loose their identity in the process then it could threaten the very reasons why I support them as I do.

So again, I wasn't attacking YOU. My post was directed towards the general sentiment that it just isn't l33t anymore to be a Nintendo supporter.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 04:40:54 PM »

Quote from: "RightBastard"
AS: Why doesn't the Xbox 360 adopt a next-generation disc format?

RB: The next-generation disc standard hasn't been solidified yet. Sony is taking a risk. We can decide after the standard has been created.

Anyone else notice this?  It's interesting because everyone's touting the "five year" lifespan of a console.  I'm starting to envision a Xbox 360.5 or Rev II with a next-gen standard optical drive in the middle of the product's life cycle if Blu-Ray or HD-DVD takes off.  But it won't happen in the next five years, will it?  Am I paranoid in thinking this?

There was an interview with Robbie Bach and Steve Balmer from MS during E3 that clarified this issue.

Basically, they aren't ruling out add-ons, revisions, or somesuch later that could incorporate a high definition DVD format.  What they don't mention is that doing that effectively means that such a device would only be used for movie playback since if you split the userbase with such an add-on later then devs won't use the medium for the increased storage capacity the medium provides for gaming.
Farscryold
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 05:55:41 PM »

Im sorry, did you think I was bashing nintendo? Nintendo is disconnected from the gaming community. If they wernt, they would stay more mainstream. If you took what I said as some overriding attack on nintendo, then you need to really think about it. Nintendo may produce great gameplay, but they are getting farther and farther away from the gaming community. They have brand spanking new handheld out with some great possibilities, and actually have some serious competition in the handheld market and what are they pimping? A game where you can pat a dog. Please. Get your head on nintendo. They are so self absorbed in japan. It is really hurting them. Im sorry I dont "celebrate their choices" and I think I can bash it all I want. It isnt smart bussiness. How long can nintendo hold on while continuing to lose market share in both the console market and the handheld market? They are still making money now but how long can that last? I would hope for a long time, but common sense says otherwise.

(The emphases in the quote where I bolded key statements are mine, not the original author's)

What I don't get is why people continue to criticize Nintendo for getting further away from the "gaming community".

Frankly, it's a good thing.  What do you have when all three major game companies pander to the exact same audience?

That's right, Jeb, we get inbreeding!

So Nintendo's going out on a limb and doing wacky stuff, ignoring the mainstream gaming audience.  Hey, no problem!  What has Nintendo always excelled at?  Creating quirky, innovative games that draw in the outside public, in particular the soccer moms, grandparents, "artsy" types, and so on who don't like games in general (and especially the [im]mature games that the "gaming community" demands these days).  Games like Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Mario Party, Wario Ware, and others that aren't quite like what most GaM3rZzzZ!!!1!! want.

And yes, in some ways I am one of the GaM3rZzzZ!!!1!!, so no, I'm not necessarily bashing those guys.  I like Halo, I loved Ninja Gaiden, RE4 is my daddy, and so on.  But I also am not afraid to admit that I've spent way too much time on games like Animal Crossing and the like as well.  I go where the gameplay is.  Whether that gameplay is extreme action-oriented fare that I will likely find on MS or Sony's systems, or quirky off-the-wall nontraditional stuff that I'll find on the Nintendo system, I go where the gameplay is.

Frankly, I think that if Nintendo properly markets the Revolution and provides the opportunities for "non-gamers" to get hooked, they will actually develop a new gaming audience that no one else has yet tapped into in any significant way.  It's a brilliant idea.  It's also a big gamble.

But I needn't remind anyone of the classic economic principle:  risk versus reward.  The higher the risk, the greater the chance of reward, but the greater the chance of failure too.

Believe it or not, Sony and Microsoft are playing it incredibly safe; they're taking no significant risks in this generation of systems coming up.  They're going after guaranteed market, which just means they won't have to try as hard to innovate.  Just like EA acquiring exclusive rights to the NFL / NCAA licenses; they'll be the only competition, so they won't have to worry about failure.  They'll make their money.

Nintendo's actually trying to do something new, and I'm excited about it.  Will I get a 360 or a PS3?  At some point, certainly.  Depends on which system gets the games I want (Kameo on the 360 is really shaping up nicely, and I'm sure the PS3 will have some great Square/Enix games).  I will buy a Revolution at launch because of two reasons:  I have no doubt whatsoever that there will be must-have games for me on Nintendo's system, and I want to put my money where my mouth is and support taking a clever risk like this.  I don't yet know which of (or if, though they probably will) the other consoles will have games that are must-haves for me.  But if they do, then I will acquire them at some point.

I don't buy my game system based on market share.  Nintendo has yet to let me down with one of their flagship systems (tv consoles, basically), so I will stick by them until they do.  With the DS, I took a wait-and-see approach until I saw that software worth my time was available (and coming), and since there was, I bought one.  Never got a Virtual Boy, as it didn't appeal to me.  I own a PS2 and an X-Box, neither acquired at launch.  I enjoy both systems.  I had a PS1 as well, played the heck out of that thing.

I think I'm rambling at this point; I think my point is that, while the direction Nintendo's taking may not appeal to the "gaming community", that doesn't mean it's the wrong direction.  It's just a different one.  And market share isn't everything, either.  A common economic misconception seems to hold that growth and profitability are irrevokably tied together; that isn't necessarily the case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: