http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:40:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big news! I saw pc games at Gamestop today  (Read 1757 times)
Rob_Merritt
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2004, 07:04:47 PM »

Its been almost a year to the day that pc games vanished from the shelves of all my local game stop stores.  (thats about 6 of them) Today I wandered in and they had two, yes count them two pc games! They were on a custom rack near the cash register. You had a choice of Rome and the new Call of Duty title. AND they were taking orders for HL2. I know, big woop but at least its something. I thought they were gone for get from retail stores

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 07:51:45 PM »

Most of the gamestops in my areas stopped carrying PC games, but all the Eb's are fine.  Well, sort of.  More than anything, I find that ordering any PC game online can get it cheaper than in any store (and I, uh, report all sales and use taxes from internet purposes each year).  As I've said before, because mall Gamestops stop carrying pc games, that doesn't mean they're dying, they're just in a changin distribution method.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 08:45:50 PM »

The Gamestop where I sometimes shop doesn't have a TON of PC games on the shelf, but they do seem to get in the newer titles and the space they do have they manage well.

In truth, it doesn't seem that different from the EBGames near them or the one in the mall - to me it's coming down to who is most interested in getting my dollar. If they don't care, then I won't use em.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 08:54:19 PM »

Guess its area to area. My local Gamestop has always kept a PC section. Its been moved around as all the new consoles have come in but they carry all the new stuff and a fair amount of older stuff. Maybe its because I live in a college town so the percentage of PC gamers is higher or something.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 05:07:44 AM »

Over the last four years I've watched with increasing dismay as the PC section at my upper west side NYC Gamestop has grown smaller and farther away. At first the PC shelf was the first thing you saw when you walked in. Soon the section was moved to the back corner and there was less space, but I took comfort in the fact that the game boxes were getting smaller. Next the four-shelf section turned to three and then two. Finally, not long ago, the PC section was moved off the wall and into a metal wire rack in the middle of the store. The boxes were gutted to prevent shoplifting and there's only room to show the spines, not the front of the boxes.

VERY DEPRESSING.

At least they still carry the PC games. If they ever got rid of them, I'd be inconsolable.
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 05:18:55 AM »

Won't this encourage people to download from bit torrent?
shang
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 08:29:37 AM »

The last time I bought a PC game from an actual store was, I think, 2001. Online stores/auctions are, IMHO, much more convenient, faster and cheaper.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 11:23:36 AM »

My local EB used to be all PC games back in the day.... (10 years ago)

Now, it's progressed to 4 shelves... 1 of them pre-owneds.

Which is better than the PS2 is doing, 3 shelves, 2 of them pre-owneds + the display cabinet behind the counter for the hot stuff. (which is about 2/3rds of a shelf)

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 03:38:58 PM »

One of the local Gamestops (the one near where I work) still carries PC games, but keeps downsizing the inventory, while another (the one near my home) does not carry any.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: