http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:43:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BFME - Difficulty?  (Read 2218 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2004, 05:56:41 PM »

Hey all, I am at act 5 of the good campaign, but my Rohan army still hasn't cleared those first 3 battles that it is presented with.  So I go to finish the 3rd fight, right next to Helm's Deep.  

I start the fight off with like 5 Rohan Cavalry battalions, 3 Archer battalions, and 6 Peasant battalions.  Most upgraded already.  within 60 seconds of starting the mission, I am rushed by 200 baddies.  They proceed to absolutely destroy me.  Not even a fight.  So I start over.  This time I go into my base immediately and build wells to heal.  This time I kick butt and have lots of units left over.

For the next 1.5 hours I have fight after fight across the map.  It's a war of attrition.  Every time I get a farm or outpost, they send tons of troops to destroy it.  The difficulty is exremely high (playing on Normal).  I can barely make any ground.  Now I eventually won the mission, but it was grueling and not very fun.  It was just a mass of troops thrown at the enemy with no strategy involved.  Is that how the whole game is?

Also, the Rohan army is worthless.  Archers are so damn slow, they never get to fights on time.  If some one comes around my flank, the archers get destroyed immediately.  All I do is build Cavalry and send it to mow down the baddies.

The AI for my units is terrible too.  I attack move and most horses just sit there.  Fight damn you!

Ok, that's all.  Any one else having these experiences?
JeffG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 06:44:28 PM »

Yep.

I started the game on normal, and got to the exact same spot as you - except I hadn't upgraded on the previous map so I was totally screwed.  I couldn't win.

So, I restarted the game on easy, which is more like God Mode.  I don't think a single individual died in the first 5 battles - it was silly.  Now I'm stuck, and sort of screwed.  I don't feel like replaying the first 5 missions for a 3rd time, especially to find myself in the same situation I was in before.  I do have a better grasp of the basic game mechanics now, I just wish they had balanced the difficulty levels a little better.

I, too, am looking for some advice to get a better game experience.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 09:11:22 PM »

This link from the Impressions thread may be what you're looking for.  Allows you to tweak things to your heart's content.  I made it all the way to Helm's Deep on Normal without much incident, but Helm's Deep was an absolute joke.  Even with the strategies I found online didn't help me beat the map.  So I tweaked things (probably a little too much) and made it through okay.

I don't see how Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, or The Black Gate are remotely possible to beat without some tweaking.  There's just too damn many enemies for the game to remain fun as is.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 09:21:53 PM »

That's what I was afraid of.  If  a mission from level 2 is that hard, I was wondering about later missions just being ridiculous.  I'll have to play with those settings.  I don't want to buff at all, just need to gimp the amount of enemy units that come at me!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 11:55:34 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
That's what I was afraid of.  If  a mission from level 2 is that hard, I was wondering about later missions just being ridiculous.  I'll have to play with those settings.  I don't want to buff at all, just need to gimp the amount of enemy units that come at me!

"tweak" it so you get the Balrog. That'll add a significant bend in the dark forces... I don't know that you can do this, but I'd find it absolutely hilarious to have the Balrog sitting in your main camp having tea with Gandalf.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 03:13:08 PM »

I just finished the 'good' campaign on normal and didn't have a hard time at all.

Here was my strategy:

The total key to winning battles is offense. You need to find the enemy's bases and raze/take them over as fast as you can at the start of the battle. If you give the enemy ANY time to organize, you're dead and may as well start the battle over.

I actually did restart some battles several times when i realized that i was 'turtling' too much (which i tend to do in RTS).

What also worked is towards the end of a battle, i would leave one enemy structure standing, while my gold increased, i would max out my population and upgrade the entire army. For the next battle, i would have experienced, battle hardened troops.

Go for the battles that give you pop increases, this way you can maintain a larger army at all times.  I suck at RTS, but i do enjoy them. This was very fast paced and forces you to make VERY quick decisions. Build the farms quickly, get your $$ supply going and go on the offensive.
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 09:44:30 PM »

I am not real experienced at RTS games.  I also tend to turtle and therefore got me arse handed to me as well on act 5.  I probably replayed the same battle 6 or 7 times, thinking that it was impossible.  I decided to change my tactics and become more offensive.  I noticed an immediate change in the game at this point.  I built enough farms right off the bat in order to keep building replacement troops for those dying in my offensive rushes.  After a bit, you can start increasing you armies strengths with upgrades.  

When I finally beat that battle, like the previous poster, I made sure to not completely finish the map and maxed out my army before moving on.  Now I am at Helms Deep and have taken a break for a couple of days because.....well......im just a little bit scared to jump into that one right now.  I know it's going to be a hell of a fight.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 09:51:19 PM »

Quote from: "LucidSmoke"

When I finally beat that battle, like the previous poster, I made sure to not completely finish the map and maxed out my army before moving on.  Now I am at Helms Deep and have taken a break for a couple of days because.....well......im just a little bit scared to jump into that one right now.  I know it's going to be a hell of a fight.

Helms Deep isn't too bad, i had to restart once to get the hang of it. Now Minas Tirith actually scared me the same way, I too took a few days off before i felt confident enought to take it on. Neither fight was impossible, just group your forces, get lots of archers and keep reinforcing the walls with troops.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 09:57:37 PM »

I won the helms deep mission almost entirely with all the hero characters. Melee characters below at the stairs to the wall, archers and legolas on top. I believe legolas racked up something to the tune of 600 kills during the level by just standing on the lower wall in one spot. I never even bothered to move him.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 02:47:19 PM »

Playing evil now, still fun, but much harder. Haven't even gotten to Helms Deep yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: