http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 09:13:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BFME 2 Expansion Stuff  (Read 3793 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:30:47 PM »

EA has released 6 new pics for the upcoming expansion pack.

HERE is the link to Shacknews, which has all the pics together.

If for some reason you can't access the link, here are two of the pics.  I'm not a huge fan of the game, but I think the pics look great.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 11:56:53 PM »

Looks great.  I'm hoping they improved the strategic map portion as well, then it'd be a really great game.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 12:16:35 AM »

They need to give buildings a sizable boost in surviability, and possibly lower the speed at which the game runs.  It's a bit on the spam-happy side right now.  But still, the combat is way more visceral than DoW.

Just Hiro will do.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 12:46:22 AM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on October 10, 2006, 12:16:35 AM

They need to give buildings a sizable boost in surviability, and possibly lower the speed at which the game runs.  It's a bit on the spam-happy side right now.  But still, the combat is way more visceral than DoW.

Run CLORDS mod and forget about balance issues or building toughness, and get some really smart and fun AI added to the mix.  I wouldn't even play BFME2 without it these days..

http://mevault.ign.com/View.php?view=BFME2Mods.Detail&id=52012&id=150

I am thinking BFME2 will be GOTY for me factoring the expansion..  Might even beat out Paraworld all things considered.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 05:22:58 AM »

How the hell do you install/use Clord's mod?  I tried dropping it in the main directory and running the batch, but it just crashes.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 05:33:18 AM »

Unzip to a directory NOT in your BFME2 one.  Run the batch which renames the mod to:

AAAClordsFactionsMOD100.big

Then edit the icon you click to launch the game, and add in at the end:  -mod AAAClordsFactionsMOD100.big

Copy the AAAClordsFactionsMOD100.big to the main BFME2 directory.

Should work fine, if it did, you will see 2 dragons fighting on the main menu screen.  I have not checked the mod with the just released patch, but it should work with that, all that did was fix one little bug I hear. You need to be at least patched up to the patch before the last one (1.05) or the mod won't work.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 05:36:36 AM by Kobra » Logged

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 07:02:32 AM »

So I've owned this game for three months and finally got around to playing it tonite.

This isn't meant to be a troll post, but... what's supposed to be so great about this game?  I played a couple skirmish maps and I just wasn't very impressed.  Seems like a relatively generic RTS.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 07:07:56 AM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on October 12, 2006, 07:02:32 AM

So I've owned this game for three months and finally got around to playing it tonite.

This isn't meant to be a troll post, but... what's supposed to be so great about this game?  I played a couple skirmish maps and I just wasn't very impressed.  Seems like a relatively generic RTS.
I cannot express how much I agree with you. Tried this three separate times now. Bored to death-doesnt compare to the tactics and graphics of CoH nor the action of DoW, at least for me.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 12:57:59 PM »

Well lets face it, the RTS gameplay works, so why break it?   COH and DOW are pretty standard RTS's as well if you really want to look at it that way..  BFME2 does have a lot going for it in the WoTR mode, create-a-hero, and fantastic environment and immersion level.

Combined with Clords mode, the gameplay is fantastic and offers a great degree of replayability.  We still play it regularly, whereas COH wore out its welcome within the first couple weeks due to so few units and maps.  BFME2 is a grand RTS, which is why so many people recommend it.  It takes the formula, adds some new stuff, and wraps it in an incredibly movie-like game with high replayability.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 01:28:17 PM »

Here's my opinion:  Comparing Company of Heroes and Dawn of War to BFME2 is kind of hard to do.  They play quite differently.  I think slowing BFME2 down a bit would go a long way to help bring the more tactical-type (for lack of a better word) players into the mix with that game.  I know it would for me. 

It has the feel of a more 'big-army' type game, some would call that a true RTS, rather than a Tactical RTS.  But then it goes and limits the zoom-out capability, as well as playing at a pretty fast pace for a strategic type game, which shoots itself in the foot. 

One thing it does do that is a holdover from the C&C Generals game is really cool though.  Not only can you set difficulty levels, but then you can also tweak a percentage option for how much of a handicap you give the computer controlled players.  I've always loved that feature. 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 01:33:24 PM »

I love BFME2's graphics, and the feeling of playing in the movie setting of LoTR.  It really does feel cinematic because of the great graphics and sound.  I still haven't seen an RTS that looks better then it, especially when you start tossing around all the spells.

It may be a bit more shallow (haven't tried the Clords mod yet), but it is fun.  Sometimes I watch action movies without as much substance and enjoy them too, which is the same feeling I get from BFME2

---
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 05:33:52 PM »

So it's mostly a graphics/presentation thing?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 05:37:27 PM »

Like LE, I've owned this several months but only this last weekend did I play it.  I had fun, even if it isn't the greatest/newest/most original thing on the market.  I will try that Clord's mod soon, and we'll see on the expansion.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 06:45:17 PM »

So it's mostly a graphics/presentation thing?
It probably would lose a fair amount if not for the LoTR tie in, and its presentation.  The gameplay is well done, but I'm not sure anything really separates the gameplay from other titles. 

In some ways, it is similar to Empires at War.  A lot of EaW's charm is the setting, and the fact that it does space battles pretty well compared to what you saw in the movies.   Take away EaW's setting, and its a horrible RTS game on the ground side, and mildly amusing space battle game, wrapped in a fairly shallow strategic layer.  But the second you add in tie fighters, star destroyers, and X-Wings, it becomes great.

It is kind of the same with LoTR.  Archers vs knights vs trolls is kind of blah, but throw Legolas in as well as the great music/look of the movies, and suddenly the game becomes a lot more fun.  It is solid on its own, but the presentation and back story really adds to it.

The Risk like 'campaign' game shows promise though, and if they get it right with the expansion, will add a ton of play value.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 06:47:09 PM by Scott » Logged

---
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 10:57:10 PM »

So what mode do you guys think is the best?  Multiplayer skirmish, AI skirmish, War of the Ring or Campaigns?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 02:35:41 AM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on October 14, 2006, 10:57:10 PM

So what mode do you guys think is the best?  Multiplayer skirmish, AI skirmish, War of the Ring or Campaigns?

War of the Ring is basically a glorified skirmish mode, and fun for a while.  I spent a lot of my time in here and enjoyed it.  It needs a fair amount more depth though, which hopefully the expansion will add (persistant bases, armies, etc.)  Skirmish mode was fun for a while too, and apparently that mod Kobra has mentioned really adds to it.  I didn't touch the campaign, looked ehh.  I didn't venture online either.

---
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »

Is the expansion supposed to improve on the War of the Ring mode?  I really like these boardgame-like campaigns that are becoming popular of late, but would like to see more depth in them.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 05:21:07 PM »

Quote from: ioticus on October 15, 2006, 04:54:40 PM

Is the expansion supposed to improve on the War of the Ring mode?  I really like these boardgame-like campaigns that are becoming popular of late, but would like to see more depth in them.

Yes, lotsa more depth in the WoTR mode, they realize now how much people loved the first one, but craved for more.  Apparently, the create a hero is expanded as well, a feature I REALLY loved.  Seeing "Kobra" run around the battlefield kicking ass was pretty amazing.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 11:55:26 PM »

Seeing "Kobra" run around the battlefield kicking ass was pretty amazing.
Ha.  Of course I immediately pictured a little blue commander running around screaming...  icon_lol  I didn't play with the hero piece a lot.  It seemed a bit over powered, and I don't remember many options to design a good character either.  This could be great if it is really improved as well.

Yes, lotsa more depth in the WoTR mode, they realize now how much people loved the first one, but craved for more
Yeah.  More depth and it'd be a lot of fun.  It was pretty close in a lot of ways, but mostly ended up being frustrating. 

---
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 04:57:20 AM »

When is the expansion pack due?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 07:37:34 PM »

Err... yesterday I think.

So........

Who got it?  Spill the beans please!  Worth it?  Not worth it?  GOTY?  Piece of dogcrap? 

Any news would be great.

LD

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 08:17:46 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 29, 2006, 07:37:34 PM

Err... yesterday I think.

So........

Who got it?  Spill the beans please!  Worth it?  Not worth it?  GOTY?  Piece of dogcrap? 

Any news would be great.

Only played a few levels.  it's more of the same.  which isn't suprising, because BFMEII was more of the same compared to the original.

I actually think the presentation has been downgraded.  Gone are the cool ingame cutscenes that turns into a painting (or vice versa) now it's just pictures of maps and concept arts as the story unfolds.

Then you have the, whoever builds the most units win, part of it, which is getting old.  I know this is wishful thinking, but I hope C&C3 doesn't have that. Games like Company of Heroes did it right.

Anyways, if you liked BFME2 you'll probably like this, the same gameplay mechanics are there, but the presentation is so so.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 10:07:25 PM »

I got it, and will likely install it tonight.  It was a real CHORE finding it locally, and I soooo hate the retail bullshit you have to go through to get PC games.. This quite possibly, will be the last PC game I ever purchase "Locally".

Anyway, lets clear something up - BFME2 was almost nothing like BFME, I think you'd be hard pressed to compare them over and above the license - which wasn't even the same as BFME2 had the advantage of the unified license..   As such, I am only expecting minor enhancements in this installment, with perhaps some improvements to the WoTR and Hero Builder modes.   But in general, given how well I enjoyed BFME2, I don't think they can do much wrong with this one.

Can't wait to try it later tonight (hopefully), impressions soon enough.

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 01:33:38 AM »

Can't wait to try it later tonight (hopefully), impressions soon enough.
Play the strategic map mode (Ring mode?) and let us know if its improved please!

---
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 02:25:13 AM »

I got a little bit of playtime in, so far I am impressed with the changes, there are a lot of new units in the game as well.  Real impressions later, but here are the "Loading" screens for both WOTR mode, and Create a Hero.  Looks like they really improved WoTR, the manual mentions "Larger battles than you could imagine" or some such thing when referring to the new WoTR.

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 05:25:58 AM »

2 Skirmish games under my belt. I am really loving the new faction, they have some great powers and troops.  A bit more micro-heavy than the other factions, but a welcomed change.  So far I have noted;

* A lot of new maps.
* Great new faction.
* AI improvements.
* Many WoTR improvements.
* Several nice Create-a-Hero enhancements
* Lotsa new units and structures.

Most factions got 2-3 new units, and some got up to 3 new heroes.   Mordor for example got the Black Riders and Gothmog, in addition to Haradin Lancers(mounted), and Black Orcs, a very heavy infantry unit.  (note, in BFME2 most people felt mordor was lacking heavy infantry, and was certainly lacking calvary)

So far I have to give this expansion a big thumbs up, totally worth the price of admission thus far based on what I have seen.  I have barely touched on the Campaign and WoTR modes yet.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 01:00:35 PM »

Kobra, not to beat a dead horse by asking the same question over and over, but my memory is so bad.

Does this game have a gamespeed slider?

LD

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 02:44:56 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on November 30, 2006, 01:00:35 PM

Kobra, not to beat a dead horse by asking the same question over and over, but my memory is so bad.

Does this game have a gamespeed slider?

Very good question, I will investigate this matter tonight and report back.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 03:06:46 PM »

Thanks.

Also, if I can bother you for one more thing (if you have the time to answer that is, as it's a loaded question).

I know that you like both this game and that Star Wars RTS game quite a bit.  If someone made you pick only one of these particular two games, based on the factors of overall gameplay, replayability, and fun-factor, which one would you go with?

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2006, 04:02:07 PM »

So... I found this.

Yahoo Review

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 04:06:27 PM »

I know that you like both this game and that Star Wars RTS game quite a bit.  If someone made you pick only one of these particular two games, based on the factors of overall gameplay, replayability, and fun-factor, which one would you go with?
How much do you like the movies for each?  Would you rather play the space battles from Return of the Jedi, or the fantasy battles from the LotR movies?  I probably had more fun with the Star Wars RTS, simple because of the space battles and the personality in them (clicking on the Mill Falcon and listening to Han complain for example).  Plus, space battles for RTS games are still fairly rare.  That'd be my choice, but both are very fun games.

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 04:24:21 PM »

Yeah... you know, I really don't think I prefer one over the other, Scott.  I like them both well enough.  Truth be told, I have both original games (without the expansions to either).  I thought they were both average, but that could have alot to do with Warhammer being out at the time.  There was one thing that stuck out (negatively) for each game with me.  In Star Wars, it was that the land battles seemed really weak.  I liked the concept of the Galaxy map, but didn't play it enough due to my disappointment with the land battles.  I know very little about the space battles.  In BFME2, I actually liked the game somewhat, but loathed how quickly normal units could take out structures, and that I couldn't zoom out just a bit more.  I didn't want to install any mods to fix it, and pretty much soured on the game at that point.  Just like Star Wars, I liked the concept of the big land map (WotR), but the sticking points for me with the gameplay caused me to not play it enough either.  Graphically, both games look good to me, so no preference there.  I do like the concept of having land and space battles in Star Wars; but I also equally like the concept of the Heroes and their special powers in BFME2.

So, in summary, these games were like mirror images of each other for me.  But at this point, I have played enough Warhammer to make my eyes bleed, and wouldn't mind picking up one of the two expansions and then digging in to one of these two games a bit deeper.  Multiplayer is a non-issue for me, cause if I want to try it, I will make it work regardless of which I play.  Also, if either of them have a gamespeed slider (even if it is only possible by tweaking an .ini file), that would be a big factor. 

LD

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2006, 05:30:38 PM »

No speed slider in BFME2 Expansion.  I can confirm that the WoTR mode is much much improved and enhanced now, the AI absolutely DESTROYED me set to "Medium" in a WoTR test scenario I just ended. (in full retreat)  Buildings seem a little bit tougher, but walls seem a lot tougher.  In BFME 2 I seriously probably wouldn't have enjoyed the base game nearly as much if I didn't use CLORDS mod - which essentially rebalanced the entire game.  With the expansion, it feels a bit more balanced overall, and with a bit of added polish to the game as a whole.

As Scott said, it will generally come down to what license you prefer. They both offer TBS style grand modes (Galactic Conquest vs WoTR), so tough to call one out there.  Both have really cool new factors (Zann vs Angmar), tough to call out a winner there.  Both have additional units and heroes added to each faction, tough to call a winner there.

I guess it really boils down to which base game you preferred.. I liked them both equally well for the most part, but the edge in playtime went to BFME2.  Regardless, I purchased both expansions because they significantly enhanced both games.  BFME2 I played much much more multiplayer, EAW I played mostly single player, which is why BFME2 had more "Legs" for me.

Now I await Clords Mod for the expansion, I feel pretty naked playing BFME2 without his balance mods.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 06:16:40 PM »

Hmmm....

Off to read a bunch of reviews and gamer feedback I guess.  Since both expansions seem to have improved the base games by a good margin, I at least have hope... so that is good.

LD

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 06:59:59 PM »

Looks like this is on sale at Best Buy for $24.99 at the moment. I'll try and stop by on the way home tonight to grab this at that price.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 08:09:08 PM »

Couple things to add.. Most of the new units added to all existing factions seem to be more "Heavy" units, therefore that combined with the balance changes, seem to be adding up to longer and more pleasing battles.  To the extent you can practice good flanking, and reinforcement tactics.   thumbsup

Angmar faction seems to be pretty geared towards fast attack, with Wolf-Packs, Snow Trolls and other fast mover units that still pack a decent punch.  I agree with the above Yahoo review completely, he summarizes the best and worst - such as some of the useless ring powers in Angmar, yet the ones that are good, are REALLY good.

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 08:45:32 PM »

this on DVD?  any chance it's no disc in drive?

Just Hiro will do.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 09:01:15 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on November 30, 2006, 08:45:32 PM

It's EA man. I wouldn't bet on it.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2006, 09:04:46 PM »

I'm hoping for DVD at least.  But I barely barely BARELY play BFME2 now.

Just Hiro will do.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2006, 11:23:46 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on November 30, 2006, 08:45:32 PM

Its on DVD, disc needs to be in drive - but that is easily fixed.. Also once again, only 1 CD Key over the lan, but again, that was fixed pretty quickly.  I am still amazed companies BOTHER with that nonsense.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: