http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 05:08:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BF2 Pausing?  (Read 1249 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2005, 12:40:13 PM »

I'm getting odd behavior out of BF2 and I'm trying to pinpoint the source.   Sometimes I can play without a single issue or hiccup.  Other times, I get what can only be described as a 'pause' for about 3-5 second where there is no movement or sound.  Its not popping up the "problem w/ connection" message so I'm doubting lag...anyone else experience this or is it format time for me?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 01:21:15 PM »

Virus scanner?  Some of the data files are large.  I have to disable my Mcafee for the game to play smoothly.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 01:35:27 PM »

Nope, I run without a virus scanner or firewall engaged.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 02:34:10 PM »

This really sounds like the game is choking on data, either graphically or otherwise.  This game moves data around far more than it probably should.  I defragged my drive completely, played for 2 days and the drive was completely refragmented after just that long.  I'd check page file sizes and put the page file on another drive if possible.  Also how much memory and what video card and settings are you using?

I have a system that should handle high settings no problem, but I had to step everything to medium to avoid the type of pauses you mention.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 02:39:10 PM »

If you figure out the problem please let me know, I feel completely vulnerable the rare few times I hang up like that.

I've lowered my resolution, lowered a few expensive graphics options down (like shadows). I guess I could lower textures too... but I have 2GB of RAM, I shouldn't be swappin a hell of a lot.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 04:32:22 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Wow...you run naked on the net.  I feel for ya.  *passes you some boxers* The only other thing I can think of is sound or video drivers.  What hardware do you have for either?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 06:18:05 PM »

Quote from: "Dreamshadow"

Wow...you run naked on the net.  I feel for ya.  *passes you some boxers* The only other thing I can think of is sound or video drivers.  What hardware do you have for either?

Windows Firewall causes more problems than it fixes, virus scanners slow down the entire performance of the computer, and I run Firefox (which has about .01% of the vunerabilities that Internet Explorer has).

I think I'm pretty safe. biggrin

Anyway, as far as BF2 goes, I'm guessing it's a driver/graphic issue of some sort. I thought I had something like that when I had my SB Live! card in my PC with the original BF, but it's simply been too long now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 06:47:40 PM »

Internet Explorer

Except that IE is in your system and as it remains unpatched the vulnerabilities are still open.  I use Firefox too but I keep IE maintained...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 07:12:19 PM »

Aye, the IE vulnerabilities can still be exploited even if you run firefox, especially without any kind of a firewall.  If you're concerned about the hit to performance of a software firewall, at least run a hardware one.  Many of the recent viruses are worms that scan ports and you don't have to do anything but be plugged into the internet to get them.  I spend most of my day every day fixing these problems.  If more people would keep IE patched and run a firewall, I'd be out of a job.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 07:48:38 PM »

run a hardware one

Yep...thats's me.  I also suffer the slings and arrows of open firewalls and users who click on mystery .exe files...bleh.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 10:00:41 PM »

Internet Explorer

Except that IE is in your system and as it remains unpatched the vulnerabilities are still open.  I use Firefox too but I keep IE maintained...

Well, yeah, obviously. Good old WindowsUpdate.com.

Anybody else think that it makes no sense to have basically your OS running around and surfing the dangers of the 'net? It's like instead of using your phone to call people, you instead personally go visit everybody in person you'd instead call.

And yes, I also keep a router up and running that makes port scans vanish into the void.

Anyway, back on topic. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: