http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 05:39:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better for PC gaming: Windows 7 or Windows 8?  (Read 1091 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2013, 04:44:48 AM »

So it turns out that I can't play Bioshock: Infinite now even if I wanted to... because it doesn't run on Windows XP ( icon_mad) and I'm one of the few who hasn't bothered to upgrade his Windows OS for years. I need opinions, what is better for PC gaming right now: Windows 7 or 8. I like the spiffy new look of Windows 8, but I'm hearing it's not ready for PC gaming and that many are sticking with Windows 7. What does the GT hive-mind say?
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 05:03:24 AM »

Got Windows 8 with a new pc when it came out.  Since that time, I switched back to win 7.  Everything played just fine on 8 but I just could not get used to it no matter how much I tweaked it.  So for the time being Im sticking with 7 and unless the next OS version returns to a similar format as win 7 I guess I will be like you in a few years with a decision to make. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:08:01 AM »

I have Windows 8, and every single game in my Steam library that I have checked works on it flawlessly. in certain cases the games even run better due to some optimizations in Win 8. And if you are a fan of the standard windows start menu, you can always add it in easily.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »

My gaming pc runs windows 8. I don't like 8 much, but it's been just fine for gaming.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »

Either one is just fine for PC gaming. Don't let that drive your choice.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 06:49:14 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 13, 2013, 01:51:08 PM

My gaming pc runs windows 8. I don't like 8 much, but it's been just fine for gaming.

Same here; I upgraded for X-Com. I chose Windows 8 because it's a lot cheaper.

And I don't know if this is objectively true, but I do feel that a lot of programs (Steam especially) and games run A LOT faster on Win8 than on WinXP.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 12:05:43 AM »

I know one game that doesn't work with Windows 8. The Sims Medieval with latest patch doesn't work because of the DRM. If you can find the patch that remove the DRM, it'll run without any problem on Windows 8.

Windows 8 seems to be more stable than Windows 7 for me.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 03:35:33 AM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on April 13, 2013, 06:49:14 PM

Quote from: JCC on April 13, 2013, 01:51:08 PM

Same here; I upgraded for X-Com. I chose Windows 8 because it's a lot cheaper.

And I don't know if this is objectively true, but I do feel that a lot of programs (Steam especially) and games run A LOT faster on Win8 than on WinXP.

I would expect this to be true.  we're talking three major os versions difference, not to mention moving from 32 bit to 64 bit, most likely.

I'm sticking with 7.  I satisfied all of my curiosity about 8 through the job and I won't be upgrading until the games and the directx version starts to impact what I can play.  Not a fan of the metro interface and unless I can kill it completely, I'll happily avoid upgrading. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 08:08:30 AM »

There's a few games these days that can only be played on Windows 8, but other than that, it seems Windows 7 is still the most popular, due to the huge divergence in UI from 7 to 8.

We got a windows 8 machine here at work, and we installed windows 7 on it rather fast though, since we hated it.

A new one
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »

Do be aware that there are some older games that do run on Windows 7 that some folks have had trouble getting to run on Windows 8. For instance, when Dangerous Waters was made available on Steam a bunch of folks couldn't get it to work under Win8, while it ran fine for me under 64bit Win7. I'm not aware of other instances, but there might be others out there.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: