http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:24:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/neXtBox/360/Ps3/Ps4] Wolfenstein:The New Order  (Read 4154 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »

There's also the alternate playthrough depending on who you pick in the beginning. 

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2014, 09:08:47 PM »

wished I remember where I read it, but I heard it was short.  That made me decide to wait till a good sale.  Now that Watch dogs comes out next week, I'll still wait.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2014, 09:12:47 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 21, 2014, 09:08:47 PM

wished I remember where I read it, but I heard it was short.

I wish you'd remember that too, because that's complete bullshit. The game is long. It's estimated that a normal playthrough would take 15-20 hours, but it looks like mine will take more than that. This is an extremely long campaign for an FPS.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2014, 11:21:35 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 21, 2014, 09:12:47 PM

I wish you'd remember that too, because that's complete bullshit. The game is long. It's estimated that a normal playthrough would take 15-20 hours, but it looks like mine will take more than that. This is an extremely long campaign for an FPS.

I'm curious, how does the length compare to Riddick and The Darkness's campaigns?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2014, 02:41:57 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 21, 2014, 09:12:47 PM

IGN

while The New Order is in no way, shape, or form a simulation of the real world, its 10-to-12 hour campaign can certainly make you stop and wonder

GamesRadar

New Order is a shooter that revels in the act of shooting and, for the most part, gunning down thousands of Nazis through the nine-hour campaign is great fun.

Gamespot

He blasted through The New Order's singleplayer campaign on PS4 in roughly 12 hours

Destructoid

If you're looking for more after the roughly 10-hour campaign, you'll want to hunt for every collectible, unlock all the concept art, and search for the elusive "Enigma Codes."

These were literally the first reviews I pulled up.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2014, 04:32:29 AM »

Okay, thanks for the sources, but keep in mind that reviewers tend to play games at low difficulties and push through to the end as quickly as possible.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2014, 05:37:27 AM »

Yeah, I always consider reviewer estimates to be the shortest possible first-run times.  I know I tend to play much slower and methodically and search out collectibles, so my play times are usually double what they say. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2014, 12:19:43 PM »

I do that as well.  I know my time will be longer than listed.

The point is that it always is.  And the reviewers are always posting the same times as well.  Which means it doesn't seem to be an extremely long campaign for an FPS.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »

Considering CoD has like a 5 hour campaign,  more than double that might be considered long these days.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 22, 2014, 12:19:43 PM

The point is that it always is.  And the reviewers are always posting the same times as well.  Which means it doesn't seem to be an extremely long campaign for an FPS.

The thing is, playtime in a regular shooter is pretty static between difficulty levels. This isn't a regular shooter. There's a HUGE difference between playing on "normal" difficulty (which is considerably easier than most other shooters, apparently) and blasting your way through the campaign, than playing on a higher difficulty and playing stealthy (even if only some of the time). I've played for roughly 6 hours and have only just reached chapter 4 of 16.

Reviewers don't play games like the rest of us do. They push through it on normal difficulty as fast as they can so they can push out the review as quickly as possible. Reviewers who don't do this are few and far between.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 22, 2014, 12:30:38 PM

The thing is, playtime in a regular shooter is pretty static between difficulty levels. This isn't a regular shooter. There's a HUGE difference between playing on "normal" difficulty (which is considerably easier than most other shooters, apparently) and blasting your way through the campaign, than playing on a higher difficulty and playing stealthy (even if only some of the time). I've played for roughly 6 hours and have only just reached chapter 4 of 16.

Reviewers don't play games like the rest of us do. They push through it on normal difficulty as fast as they can so they can push out the review as quickly as possible. Reviewers who don't do this are few and far between.

Yes, but again, they do that consistently, and their results are the same for this game as they are for others.  This doesn't seem to be significantly longer than most other FPS games.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:37:20 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 22, 2014, 01:31:14 PM

Yes, but again, they do that consistently, and they're results are the same for this game as they are for others.  This doesn't seem to be significantly longer than most other FPS games.

The entire first paragraph in my above reply covered that already.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 22, 2014, 01:54:27 PM

Yes, but again, they do that consistently, and they're results are the same for this game as they are for others.  This doesn't seem to be significantly longer than most other FPS games.

I guess you're contradicting your earlier declarations that this game is longer than the average shooter, then.

I'll redundantly get out of your way.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 22, 2014, 03:39:34 PM

Quote from: TiLT on May 22, 2014, 01:54:27 PM

Yes, but again, they do that consistently, and they're results are the same for this game as they are for others.  This doesn't seem to be significantly longer than most other FPS games.

I guess you're contradicting your earlier declarations that this game is longer than the average shooter, then.

I'll redundantly get out of your way.

I guess I kind of was. If you're playing it at a low difficulty level and merely blasting your way through, then it's not going to last anywhere near as long as if you play it on a difficulty more suitable for your skill level. The thing is that reviewers almost always play on the low difficulty levels and try to push through quickly, and thus are not representative of actual gameplay length for this game, which changes quite a bit when you play on a higher difficulty, use lots of stealth, and search for secrets (a core part of Wolfenstein).
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2014, 04:51:01 PM »

I played a bit more last night... which still doesn't amount to more than an hour of total time played. I had fun dual wielding two automatic rifles, and those robot dogs are creepy...

Sean Lama
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2014, 09:22:29 PM »

The campaign is roughly 12 or so hours.  Even on easy there is a lot of content here.  Did you guys check out my review?

http://www.gamingtrend.com/reviews/wolfenstein-new-order-glorious-bastards/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2014, 09:39:46 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 22, 2014, 09:22:29 PM

The campaign is roughly 12 or so hours.  Even on easy there is a lot of content here.  Did you guys check out my review?

I did and posted a link to it on pg 1. 

gotta give you guys props when I can.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2014, 02:13:11 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 22, 2014, 09:22:29 PM

12 hours.  You can only have been playing on Easy.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2014, 02:45:44 AM »

I think he was playing with the invincibility cheat code  slywink

Sean Lama
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2014, 03:01:02 AM »

12 hours (to me) is plenty long for a shooter. I tend to take a little longer than the average bear to get through any game just because I tend to be both thorough and stealthy where possible. I think shooters tend to get tedious when they drag on too long. Save the 15+ stuff for RPGs and open world games.  thumbsup
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2014, 06:25:35 AM »

The gun and dialogue volume is super low. Especially when your character is whispering.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2014, 10:55:59 AM »

Picked this up on Steam, 47gb download  eek thank goodness for 50mbs internet....
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 23, 2014, 02:45:44 AM

I think he was playing with the invincibility cheat code  slywink

On that note, does anything happen if you type IDKFA in this game?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 23, 2014, 06:25:35 AM

The gun and dialogue volume is super low. Especially when your character is whispering.

Anyone else on PS4 (or any platform) having these audio issues?  The guns and dialogue are barely audible.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 23, 2014, 02:38:21 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on May 23, 2014, 06:25:35 AM

Anyone else on PS4 (or any platform) having these audio issues?  The guns and dialogue are barely audible.

I'm not having these issues on the PS4, but I've heard others talk about them. It supposedly helps to force Dolby output, but you might want to Google this.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2014, 07:26:10 PM »

I didn't think the gun sounds were too low, but the old guy whose always yapping at me over the radio is hard to hear when there's action going on, I usually rely on subtitles.

I'm really, really digging the game so far. I'm still extremely early in the campaign, but I came across the first collectible letter and was delighted at how well-written and interesting it was. The story of the soldier in Africa being ambushed was riveting. I hope the letters maintain that level of quality, I'll be searching every nook and cranny for them.

Sean Lama
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »

This game is just seriously awesome. I'm up to chapter 12 or 13 right now, and it's going from one high point to another. This is a welcome return to the more intelligent shooters of yore, when they were more about playing smart and taking advantage of the environment than merely walking through corridors. This game is not of the Call of Duty corridor shooter school of design.

There's great pacing to the missions too. You'll have one mission where you go guns blazing against massive robots and armies of Nazi soldiers, followed by a missions where you're only armed with a knife and have to be stealthy, and so on. Both types of gameplay are equally satisfying.

And who would have believed that this game would be one of the best narratively driven games in a while? Where most shooters put you in the shoes of an overly macho guy who tries his hardest to be both tough and cool, and thinks storytelling is about timing detonating explosives to the climax of the Hans Zimmer-inspired soundtrack, Wolfenstein is more concerned about the softer side of humanity and character development. The main character looks tough, but is actually soft and compassionate, and acts kindly to everyone he meets (except Nazis). He kind of reminds me of Bruce Willis in the Die Hard movies in some ways, without the one-liners.

Even the Nazis aren't turned into caricatures, except for the over-the top supervillains. You really do feel like this is how the world could have ended up if the Nazis came across highly advanced technology and won the war.

This game has been one of my most pleasant gaming surprises in some time. I had low expectations for it, but it really delivers. At this point, I expect this game to end up being a better game than Watch Dogs, even if it'll end up being reviewed lower. I honestly don't understand what the reviewers who called this "bland" or "uninspired" were smoking. In a world of "me too" shooters, this is one of the only ones to actually try to do something different.

If there's one thing I dislike about the game, it's that some parts have problematic placements of checkpoints. This problem doesn't occur often, but when it does, it can get very annoying. Two parts so far had me going through a lengthy stealth section followed by a miniboss, but it didn't offer a checkpoint between the two, forcing me to replay the stealth section in a very unnecessary fashion.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2014, 08:06:57 PM »

And done! Just completed the game on Über difficulty. It'll only take me an hour or two to get the platinum trophy from here, so I'll be doing that very soon, depending on when I get Watch Dogs to work.

Wolfenstein gets a confident thumbs up from me.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2014, 12:22:06 PM »

Heh, I was listening to podcasts talking about the game's release and they echo so many of my, and others comments. They talked about the exact same issues I had with the game when it was being shown at events, one guy literally used words I'd used to describe problems with what they showed.

They also mentioned how in those previews, and all previews for the game, they weren't really showing the story until super late despite the story being one of the stronger elements of the game. That's so weird.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2014, 03:52:59 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 28, 2014, 12:22:06 PM

Heh, I was listening to podcasts talking about the game's release and they echo so many of my, and others comments. They talked about the exact same issues I had with the game when it was being shown at events, one guy literally used words I'd used to describe problems with what they showed.

They also mentioned how in those previews, and all previews for the game, they weren't really showing the story until super late despite the story being one of the stronger elements of the game. That's so weird.
Maybe they wanted to avoid the potential of hyping the story and people expecting too much of it.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »

I just ordered this over Watch Dogs. I love a well constructed FPS but we don't get many of those. The last FPS I really enjoyed was Metro Last Light, so hopefully Wolfenstein is just as good.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2014, 05:19:17 PM »

If you are having audio problems on PS4, go into sound settings, set to HDMI, then click the option to output to 5.1 from there.  I had done this and it worked for me, then I saw a tweet about it this AM from the official handle saying people could try this.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2014, 05:18:37 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 29, 2014, 05:19:17 PM

If you are having audio problems on PS4, go into sound settings, set to HDMI, then click the option to output to 5.1 from there.  I had done this and it worked for me, then I saw a tweet about it this AM from the official handle saying people could try this.

Thanks for that.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »

Finished this last night and while I was ready for it to be over at the end, it was a great game with excellent characters I actually cared about.  Total random surprise out of left field for me.  This wasn't even on my radar and ended up being really fun.  Definitely recommend.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »

There! I took some time off between Watch Dogs session to finally get the platinum trophy for this game. This was my third platinum for the PS4. smile
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2014, 09:27:19 AM »

Just started this . Played for 3 hrs. Awesome. nod
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »

on sale for $29 at steam. Wished I waited 1 week

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2014, 07:05:16 PM »

Heard this was on sale at Costco XB1/PS4 for ~33 but I haven't been able to get there to check.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2014, 02:57:53 AM »

ended up listing wolfenstein PS4 version on Ebay.  Auction ends tomorrow, but already got 3 bids and it's sitting around $37.  I asked for $39 plus shipping.  So I ended up buying the PC version on steam for $29.  While I had fun with the PS4 version, the fact that it's $10 cheaper on PC a week after I bought it brand new, I figured it would be good to do this.  I still have MLB the show to keep me interested in the PS4.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2014, 03:18:32 AM »

Quote from: naednek on June 29, 2014, 02:57:53 AM

ended up listing wolfenstein PS4 version on Ebay.  Auction ends tomorrow, but already got 3 bids and it's sitting around $37.  I asked for $39 plus shipping.  So I ended up buying the PC version on steam for $29.  While I had fun with the PS4 version, the fact that it's $10 cheaper on PC a week after I bought it brand new, I figured it would be good to do this.  I still have MLB the show to keep me interested in the PS4.

What do you have against Infamous?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: