http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 01:05:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bethesda Softworks to publish Fallout 3!!!  (Read 4940 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2004, 08:21:53 PM »

This just popped into my mailbox - thought I'd post it here before it appeared on the site:

Bethesda Softworks to Develop and Publish Fallout 3

July 12, 2004 (Rockville, MD) - Bethesda Softworks® announced today that it will develop and publish Fallout® 3 -- a sequel to the highly popular Fallout® role-playing game franchise. Bethesda licensed the rights to the Fallout® franchise from Interplay Entertainment Corp. (OTC Bulletin Board: IPLY) in a deal that awards Bethesda exclusive worldwide rights to the Fallout® franchise on the PC, home consoles, handhelds, and other media, with the rights to develop and publish additional sequels.

“We’re extremely excited about this opportunity and what it means both for Bethesda and for Fallout fans around the world,” said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks. “Fallout is one of the great RPG franchises. Millions of Fallout games have been sold worldwide, and fans have been eagerly awaiting the release of a Fallout 3 title. Bethesda’s proven expertise in this genre, building on our experience and the tremendous success we have enjoyed with our cutting-edge Elder Scrolls® series, will enable us to create the next chapter of Fallout that is worthy of the franchise.”

Originally released in 1997, Fallout places a player in the role of a Vault-dweller, who ventures from his secluded, underground survival Vault into a post-apocalyptic world of mutants, radiation, gangs and violence. The game has been widely hailed as one of the outstanding role-playing games and video games of all time with its unique gameplay, style, and setting.

Commenting on this development, Interplay Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Herve Caen said, “This is a good agreement for both companies and for gamers. Although several parties had a high level of interest in licensing Fallout, we are most impressed by Bethesda’s execution of role-playing titles. Bethesda is an ideal steward of the Fallout franchise.”

Fallout 3 will be developed by Bethesda along with the next chapter of The Elder Scrolls, both under the direction of Todd Howard, executive producer of The Elder Scrolls. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® won every national and international award of note in 2002, including Game of the Year and RPG of the Year, and is one of the best-selling games ever released on Xbox.

“We are overjoyed,” said Howard. “Fallout is one of my favorite games, and we plan to develop a visually stunning and original game for Fallout 3 with all the hallmarks of a great RPG: player choice, engaging story, and non-linearity.”

Future announcements about the release of Fallout 3 will be made as work on the title progresses.

About Bethesda Softworks®
Headquartered in Rockville, Maryland, Bethesda Softworks LLC, a ZeniMax Media company, is a premier developer and publisher of entertainment software. Bethesda has won every major national and international software award for its titles, including The Elder Scrolls® series and the Terminator™ series. Its product line spans the sports, racing, RPG, strategy, and action genres. For more information on Bethesda Softworks’ products, visit www.bethsoft.com.

About Interplay
Interplay Entertainment Corp. is a developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment software for both core gamers and the mass market. Interplay releases products through Interplay, Black Isle Studios and its distribution partners.

The Elder Scrolls, Morrowind, Bethesda Softworks, ZeniMax, and their logos are registered trademarks of ZeniMax Media Inc. Fallout is a registered trademark of Interplay Entertainment Corp. Microsoft, Xbox and the Xbox logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All Rights Reserved.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 08:46:41 PM »

Holy crap!  The possibilities! smile

Thanks a lot for the heads up.

Go Gunners...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 09:00:26 PM »

Good night nurse. I think I just got hit with a mega-dose of happy. I have to go read the DNF forums just to cool down again. :twisted:

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 09:10:38 PM »

I'm curious, what happened to the halfway done build of Fallout 3? Will they continue on that, or will they start anew?

That said, I'm feeling very conflicted over this. On one hand, the chance to get more Fallout is oh so sweet. On the other, the Elder Scroll series and Fallout series, although I loved both, are about as similar as apples and a steak.

Also, why do I feel that Fallout 3 will become a PC/Console title? And when a game becomes a PC/Console title, some things are going to get compromised. I hope, in that case, that the translation will be as smooth as it was with KOTOR.

And finally, my condolences to Bethesda for now inheriting all the raving lunatic "I'm frothing from the mouth" Fallout fanboys out there that're willing to send death threats from the slightest chance of making a mistake in F3's developmental cycle.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 09:14:01 PM »

Well, the flip-side to it is that Bethesda isn't exactly swimming in a sea of red ink and bottom lines, so they can take their time and get it right. From what I recall from GG, kathode who posts over there was a huge Fallout fan and he's one of the Bethesda guys. I can see these guys really fleshing out the world, and the thought of Fallout in the Morrowind engine (or something better than that) makes me just all kinds of Warm & Fuzzy(tm). The Fallout universe in that kind of mod-able universe alone should get people excited.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 09:23:22 PM »

This is just too awesome for words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellente!

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 09:23:59 PM »

Oh, I've no doubt that Bethesda folks wouldn't be able to craft an amazing world to explore. They showed that ability with Morrowind in abundance. And I sure as heck wouldn't mind a first person Fallout (herecy!).

Rather, it's the story side I'm a bit worried about. I mean, let's face it, Morrowind wasn't exactly a bastion of depth, as far as fleshed out characters, sidequests, overall storyarc, and whatnot. Fallout, however, was a prime example of them, and still managed to retain a relatively expansive world to explore.

I wonder whether they'll tone down the maturity level...?

Course, in the end, the fact that we ARE getting another Fallout is just excellent, excellent news. smile

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: