http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 01:51:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bethesda guarantees Oblivion for XBox 360 launch  (Read 1453 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2005, 12:35:17 AM »

Here is a direct quote from the new EGM that is just now getting to subscribers:

What could possibly go wrong? Despite the fact that its developer guarantees that we'll see Oblivion on shelves alongside the 360 hardware on day one, a few nasty bugs are still infecting its mammoth fantasy. "There is a unicorn in the game, and the other day when I was playing I found it dead," explains Howard. "The Minotaur killed it; he's supposed to protect it, but his A.I. is just too aggro." If the game's inhabitants can't get along, is there any hope for players? Massive patches, bug-fixes, and even recalls happen surprisingly frequently in the realm of PC games, but nobody wants to bring home a busted, buggy, and potentially crash-ridden console game on launch day.

Heh, anyone think that Take-Two is strong-arming Bethesda and making them get this thing out the door? Or do you think they really are going to be done?

I think it will be pretty much done on time. Hopefully they will be allowed to patch any bugs via Xbox Live, if there are any.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:44:36 AM »

I hope they aren't forced into releasing it early. Bethesda's track record is not exactly exemplary in this area. Although, i seem to remember Morrowind being pretty stable upon release.

Of course, I don't own a system that can play this new beast, unless I got a lucky Mt Dew cap today! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 12:44:36 AM »

Maybe I will wait and get the PC version after all...

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:01:53 AM »

Hmm. We will see. I hope its there, I really want to play it.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:10:04 AM »

I was almost drawn into this conversation slywink  GG hetz.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 01:53:56 AM »

From my experiences with 2k and Bethesda, I have faith in both that they know not to rush this thing to the shelves.  In addition, we still have 2 months left for bug fixing...that is a long time in the dev cycle.  Not only that but you know Bethesda has to be tired of making everyone's most-buggy list with their misstep with Daggerfall...they won't make that same mistake twice.  

Just of note, they could technically patch this game just as easily as the PC version - you'd just have to own the 360 instead of the threeshitty. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 02:01:40 AM »

I doubt they have two months.  If they want to meet launch demands, they probably have closer to one month before finalization of all game assets.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 02:13:26 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I doubt they have two months.  If they want to meet launch demands, they probably have closer to one month before finalization of all game assets.
Im guessing its more like 6 weeks. They have time for bug fixing.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 02:23:25 AM »

Quote from: "kathode"
I was almost drawn into this conversation slywink  GG hetz.

Damn! So close!!!

:wink:

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 02:53:11 AM »

If I were a betting man (I am, but not in relation to if games will be buggy on release), I would bet that if the XBox360 version of Oblivion is released on the XBox's launch date but the PC version is delayed any significant amount of time (i.e. more than a week), beware of the bugs.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 03:15:14 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
In addition, we still have 2 months left for bug fixing...that is a long time in the dev cycle.  

?

It's almost October.  I'm guessing that a title would need to be well into certification and starting manufacturing by early November to hit day one for launch.  That only gives them approximately a month.

EDIT- LE and Calvin beat me to it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 03:17:12 AM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
If I were a betting man (I am, but not in relation to if games will be buggy on release), I would bet that if the XBox360 version of Oblivion is released on the XBox's launch date but the PC version is delayed any significant amount of time (i.e. more than a week), beware of the bugs.

I'm guessing that if they follow standard tactics then any delay in the PC release past Christmas will automatically push the PC version to March since so many publishers are adverse to releasing in January and February.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 03:17:25 AM »

Didn't the XBox version of Morrowind have some pretty big bugs, even though it was released after the PC version?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 03:25:43 AM »

The turnaround for Starcraft to be on shelves was less than 2 weeks from Gold to shelf.  Calvin is right, they've got roughly 6 weeks.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 03:29:30 AM »

The turnaround for Starcraft to be on shelves was less than 2 weeks from Gold to shelf.  Calvin is right, they've got roughly 6 weeks.

Calvin is not in the know just in case anyone was curious smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 03:31:30 AM »

Didn't one of the Baldurs Gates do an even quicker turnaround?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 03:43:27 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"

Didn't one of the Baldurs Gates do an even quicker turnaround?

The original did but it was in notoriously short supply and I'm sure didn't even approach the numbers that most 360 launch titles will ship with.  Its in everyone's best interests to have the stores stocked to the brim with titles for Black Friday.  Plus, most launch titles will likely start arriving at retailers several days to a week early.  

PC titles also don't have the additional barrier of platform certifiication on top of the regular QA process which I imagine adds a little bit of time along the way.    Plus, unless MS has changed their policy this generation, no opportunities for "Day One" patches to allow continued bug fixing after the product has been released for manufacture.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 04:21:37 AM »

I do believe BG1 was released on Christmas day or thereabouts though...hard to get anything made while everyone is off for vacation. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 04:33:54 AM »

I do believe BG1 was released on Christmas day or thereabouts though...hard to get anything made while everyone is off for vacation. smile

There was another super high profile game in the last 3-4 years-it was 4 day turnaround. I relaly can't remember what it was, but 4 days must take the cake.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 12:01:36 PM »

Yeah, I remember that fiasco. It came out on Christmas Eve and I luckily had it prerordered so I was able to get it. It was in VERY short supply.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 12:57:49 PM »

Just of note, they could technically patch this game just as easily as the PC version - you'd just have to own the 360 instead of the threeshitty. smile

I really, really, really hope they do not go down this road.  The 'release first-patch later' mentality has all but ruined PC gaming for me, and it would infuriate me to see it bleed over into consoles.  Besides, there are still plenty of us without X-Box Live that have absolutely zero plans of ever getting it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2005, 02:22:31 AM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

I really, really, really hope they do not go down this road.  The 'release first-patch later' mentality has all but ruined PC gaming for me, and it would infuriate me to see it bleed over into consoles.  Besides, there are still plenty of us without X-Box Live that have absolutely zero plans of ever getting it.

I think they are doing a free version of Live that is meant to be used for patches.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2005, 03:13:41 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
I think they are doing a free version of Live that is meant to be used for patches.

Correct. XBox Live Silver is free though you obviously need to connect your system via a broadband internet connection.  This will allow patches, firmware updates, backwards compatibility updates, etc., to the 360.  They are also talking about offering "free weekends" that would allow you to sample XBox Live Gold, which is the version you will need if you actually want to play online.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2005, 04:01:31 AM »

Guess they've been taking notes on how smack dealers operate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: