http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 08:29:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Wii Games as of November 2007?  (Read 2295 times)
Godzilla Blitz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the Toys 'R Us special that's going on currently, where you buy 2 Wii Games and get one free, but I've been out of the loop for a bit. Anyone have recommendations on some winners for the system? We've got little kids, so I'm open to either family games or more mature titles. Type of game doesn't matter, but ideally I'd like something that takes advantage of the Wii controller.

We've got:

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Super Mario Galaxy
Zelda
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Elebits
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Mario Strikers Charged

I've been reading a bit about these...
Zack & Wiki Quest for Barbarosí Treasure
Resident Evil
Madden NFL 08
MLB Power Pros
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Super Paper Mario
Carnival Games
The BIGS
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:10:08 PM »

RE4 absolutely at the top of the list if you've never played it before (and maybe even if you have- the Wii controls are fantastic).  Zak & Wiki definitely. I've heard RE: Umbrella Chronicles is quite fun and it's going on my Christmas List.  Fire Emblem if you are a fan of Strat RPGs. 
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:53:11 PM »

#1 choice = RE4 . . . no doubt about it . . .
Super Paper Mario is good too . . .
My kids love Mario Party 8 for some reason too . . . which is fine as long as they don't ask me to play it with them.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 07:21:47 PM »

As everyone else has said RE4 is a must have game even if you've previously played it on the GC or PS2. If your goal is to get 2 other games that are suitable for your younger kids, then I'd recommend Super Paper Mario and Wario Ware. Madden NFL 08 isn't a bad option either since it has the new alternate family control scheme. Zak and Wiki has been getting excellent reviews, but it may be too difficult for your kids and it's only single player.

If you want another mature title for yourself then I recommend MoH:H2 which I'm currently playing; here's the thread I'm posting impressions in.
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,23616.0.html
Is there a reason why you don't have The Godfather: Blackhand on your list? It's really very good, although it's definitely a mature title that you don't want to be playing when your kids are around.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 08:00:03 PM »

Yikes. Now I'm going to have trouble keeping it down to only three games. Maybe I'll get six...!

I didn't realize that Resident Evil 4 was that highly thought of. I've never played any of the games in that series, so I'll definitely add that one to the list. I like WWII FPS games too, so I'm thinking about adding MoH:H2. Thanks, kronovan, for the review!

I hadn't heard of The Godfather: Blackhand. I'll have to check that one out as well. Thanks.

At the moment, I'm thinking this...
RE4
HoH:H2
Super Paper Mario
Wario Ware
Zack & Wiki
Some sports game (MLB Power Pros), or maybe the Godfather or Fire Emblem (I like strategy RPGs).

Toys 'R Us probably won't have all of these either, so that might change the choices a bit.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:02:25 PM by Godzilla Blitz » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 08:05:32 PM »

The only "problem" with RE4 is that it's "value priced" at $29.99 so you aren't technically getting as much bang for your buck for this deal as you would with a full priced Wii title. 
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 08:11:01 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 20, 2007, 08:05:32 PM

The only "problem" with RE4 is that it's "value priced" at $29.99 so you aren't technically getting as much bang for your buck for this deal as you would with a full priced Wii title. 

Good point. That'd work, though, if I could find three $29.99 games and three $49.99 games. Might be doable.

Just took a look at the Fire Emblem site. Looks interesting, but it doesn't look like it does anything special with the Wii controller. I've still got an old GBS Fire Emblem game that I haven't tried yet. I might go that route instead of getting the Wii version.

Godfather: Blackhand looks interesting, and I haven't played the game on any other system.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 08:11:04 PM »

RE4 is my favorite Wii title. I've sold back Metroid and Zelda since i didn't like either. I never played an RE before this one.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 09:16:35 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 20, 2007, 08:11:01 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 20, 2007, 08:05:32 PM

Good point. That'd work, though, if I could find three $29.99 games and three $49.99 games. Might be doable.

Just took a look at the Fire Emblem site. Looks interesting, but it doesn't look like it does anything special with the Wii controller. I've still got an old GBS Fire Emblem game that I haven't tried yet. I might go that route instead of getting the Wii version.

Godfather: Blackhand looks interesting, and I haven't played the game on any other system.

Even Godfather:BH is technically a value priced game since it was released in early spring and now sells for between $30 - $40. I like the list you narrowed down as all 6 of those games are excellent.
As Kevin pointed out there's some newer releases like Fire Emblem and RE: Umbrella Chronicles that are getting good reviews. If you need to find full priced titles, Batallion Wars 2 and Lego Star Wars are also new games that are being well reviewed. And not that I want to complicate your decisions and futher, but keep in mind that Soul Calibur Legends is releasing this week and it could be good. slywink
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 11:16:45 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 20, 2007, 08:00:03 PM

I didn't realize that Resident Evil 4 was that highly thought of.

Well.... there is the matter of... um... oh I'll just shush.  I realize I'm in the (very astute) minority who thinks RE4 is *vastly* overrated.

deadhorse
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 11:23:19 PM »

Quote from: warning on November 20, 2007, 11:16:45 PM

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 20, 2007, 08:00:03 PM

I didn't realize that Resident Evil 4 was that highly thought of.

Well.... there is the matter of... um... oh I'll just shush.  I realize I'm in the (very astute) minority who thinks RE4 is *vastly* overrated.

deadhorse

Well it's not just GT'ers that felt that way. The game was critically acclaimed by almost all review sites and averaged scores in the 9's. So yeah...you're in the minority and basically don't know what you're talking about; not that I don't respect your opinion or anything.  Tongue
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 12:39:33 AM »

Lego Star Wars might work nicely. Reviews mention that they got the controls right, and the Wii version includes both I an II in one package. The kids really liked that one on the XBox, and the Wiimote would make it easier for them.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 12:40:17 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 20, 2007, 11:23:19 PM

Well it's not just GT'ers that felt that way. The game was critically acclaimed by almost all review sites and averaged scores in the 9's. So yeah...you're in the minority and basically don't know what you're talking about; not that I don't respect your opinion or anything.  Tongue
Yeah yeah.  I know.  It's tough to be in the minority who can both walk and shoot a gun.   icon_twisted
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 12:53:01 AM »

Quote from: warning on November 21, 2007, 12:40:17 AM

Quote from: kronovan on November 20, 2007, 11:23:19 PM

Yeah yeah.  I know.  It's tough to be in the minority who can both walk and shoot a gun.   icon_twisted

Oh yeah sure...but can you waggle your Wiimote, nudge your nunchuk and chew gum while 1-shotting zombies with perfectly executed head shots...huh...huh?  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:02:08 AM by kronovan » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 01:40:45 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 20, 2007, 08:11:01 PM

Godfather frigging rocked on the Wii!!!!!  they got the controls down perfectly- just don't play Scarface and expect the same precision.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 02:31:40 AM »

If you fail to get Zack and Wiki I will drive to where ever you live and put a boot up your rear end.

Zack and Wiki, you won't need anything else, Hell, you won't want anything else smile

I too was considering this deal, Something along the lines of MOH: H2, Sonic and Mario(wife wants this), and Fire Emblem. Maybe do some less expensive games with the MLB power Pros, Ghost Squad, and something else value priced. I kinda want Resident Evil UC too.

There are probably 6 to 9 games I could easily pick up, but since I still have; MP3, Battalion Wars 2, and a couple others on the back burner I think it only right to play them first.

Don't forget that the Trauma Center Sequel just came out too.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:33:17 AM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 03:16:28 AM »

Just came back from my local Toys 'R Us. The Wii section was cleaned out, with 80% of the shelf space empty.

In an economy bundle, I grabbed:
Resident Evil 4.0
Godfather Blackhand
Metal Slug (will return this for either Zack & Wiki (I fear the wrath of Tebunker! icon_wink) or MLB Power Pros)

In a more expensive bundle, I got:
Mario and Sonic Olympics, 2 copies
Mario Party 8

I'm going to try and return the games from this expensive bundle next week, except for perhaps one of the Mario and Sonics. I hope to switch the other two out for Metal of Honor: Honor 2 and LEGO Star Wars.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 06:36:54 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 21, 2007, 03:16:28 AM

Just came back from my local Toys 'R Us. The Wii section was cleaned out, with 80% of the shelf space empty.

Well so much for 3rd party Wii games not selling well.

Zak & Wiki and RE:UC are both going to have to be holiday purchases for me, since I still have SC:Legends and DBZ:BT3 to consider. They both take precedence for me because they have mplay my kids and nephew can enjoy.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 06:59:18 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 21, 2007, 06:36:54 AM

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 21, 2007, 03:16:28 AM

Well so much for 3rd party Wii games not selling well.

There were five people at the register feeding on the last three dozen or so copies of games left in the cabinet.

If anyone does go to Toys 'R Us, there is a coupon in the flyer for a $10 gift card with a certain amount of a purchase. The games deal easily puts you over the amount, so you can get in essence another $10 off your purchase.

I don't know enough about Soul Calibur to even know if I spelled it right. I might look at that between now and next Tuesday, when they get more games in.

I was reading about Sonic and Mario Olympics, though. I think my kids'll like this one, so I think one copy will be a keeper.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 07:19:34 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 21, 2007, 06:59:18 AM

I was reading about Sonic and Mario Olympics, though. I think my kids'll like this one, so I think one copy will be a keeper.

It's a game I'm also considering for my kids. I read some of the reviews too. The reviews haven't been to good, but neither were the reviews for Mario Party 8 and it's by far my daughters favorite game. I'd be very interested in hearing your impressions of it once you've played it a bit.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 07:40:55 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 21, 2007, 07:19:34 AM

It's a game I'm also considering for my kids. I read some of the reviews too. The reviews haven't been to good, but neither were the reviews for Mario Party 8 and it's by far my daughters favorite game. I'd be very interested in hearing your impressions of it once you've played it a bit.

We might save Sonic and Mario for a Christmas present for our kids, but if we don't, I'll post impressions pretty quickly. I agree, the reviews are mediocre, but there are a few good ones. The reader review scores are much higher, which is interesting. The contradictory part is that some reviewers say the game is shallow while others say it is quite deep. Humm. I think our kids will like the active element to it, and with all the Mario/Sonic characters in it, it should be fun as well.

Mario Party 8 is pretty good? I wasn't thinking of keeping that one...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 02:32:51 PM »

If you are familiar with blogger Bill Harris, he said that Mario & Sonic was an excellent game for playing with your kids. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 03:53:15 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 21, 2007, 02:31:40 AM

If you fail to get Zack and Wiki I will drive to where ever you live and put a boot up your rear end.

Zack and Wiki, you won't need anything else, Hell, you won't want anything else smile

I need to check out this 'Zack and Wiki'...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 05:35:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 21, 2007, 02:32:51 PM

If you are familiar with blogger Bill Harris, he said that Mario & Sonic was an excellent game for playing with your kids. 

Ah, that's good to know. I often agree with his taste in games. His son is only a few months older than mine, so his game recommendations for kids usually work well for my son. Mario and Sonic is a keeper, then.

I should probably put this in the trading forum too, but if anyone goes to the sale looking for a copy of Mario and Sonic and can't find one, I'd be happy to trade my other new copy (I got two) for Medal of Honor: Honor 2 or LEGO Star Wars. I've got Mario Party 8 that I'd swap out as well.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 11:28:47 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 21, 2007, 07:40:55 AM

We might save Sonic and Mario for a Christmas present for our kids, but if we don't, I'll post impressions pretty quickly. I agree, the reviews are mediocre, but there are a few good ones. The reader review scores are much higher, which is interesting. The contradictory part is that some reviewers say the game is shallow while others say it is quite deep. Humm. I think our kids will like the active element to it, and with all the Mario/Sonic characters in it, it should be fun as well.

Mario Party 8 is pretty good? I wasn't thinking of keeping that one...

I take the game reviews with a grain of salt when they are reviewing the titles that cater more to the kids, like Mario Party 8. I have it and my daughter (age 12) loves it. My wife and I play it with her after we put our youngin' (age 4) to bed. I'll eventually grab Sonic & Mario Olympics to put some more variety in our kids Wii game lineup.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 12:01:48 AM »

all i can say is super paper mario or resi evil 4(if that is the resi evil you mean and not umbrella)....as those two from your bottom list are the only games i have played,and i enjoyed(and finished)both of them

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 04:39:49 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on November 24, 2007, 11:28:47 PM

I take the game reviews with a grain of salt when they are reviewing the titles that cater more to the kids, like Mario Party 8. I have it and my daughter (age 12) loves it. My wife and I play it with her after we put our youngin' (age 4) to bed. I'll eventually grab Sonic & Mario Olympics to put some more variety in our kids Wii game lineup.

Yes, good point.

Bill Harris' mentioned another thing that I think is easy to miss in a review of Wii games, which is the "party game" aspect of play. Wii Sports, for example, is a simple, straightforward game that comes to life when you've got a room full of people playing. It's much better in a social element. I think it's easy for game reviewers to overlook this aspect of a Wii game.

I found Resident Evil 4 for $19.99 at Best Buy yesterday, which means I can return and swap my Toys 'R US copy. After our Toys 'R Us gets restocked, I'm hoping to end up with:

Resident Evil 4.0
Zack and Wiki
MLB Power Pro
Godfather Blackhand
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Medal of Honor: Honor 2
LEGO Star Wars

In the melee of Black Friday, I also got Happy Feet, Red Steel, and some other Sonic game. I doubt any of these last three will be great experiences, but they were cheap.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 06:35:26 AM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on November 25, 2007, 04:39:49 AM

Bill Harris' mentioned another thing that I think is easy to miss in a review of Wii games, which is the "party game" aspect of play. Wii Sports, for example, is a simple, straightforward game that comes to life when you've got a room full of people playing. It's much better in a social element. I think it's easy for game reviewers to overlook this aspect of a Wii game.

Wii Sports is one of the games that gets played the most at my house. My 4-year old daughter is getting quite good at the tennis, and just this evening she and a computer buddy smoked me and me (I'm so embarassed). We have a lot of family fun with the tennis and bowling.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 08:10:21 AM »

So far I only played a few titles,

Wii play and Wii Sport is one of best game to play with my wife.
and I am playing Red Steel right now, it's little, but not much, better than what I thought it would be.

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 03:41:52 AM »

Well, after bargain shopping and making some exchanges on that Toys 'R Us deal, I've pretty much built up a decent backlog of games for the Wii...

Here's what I've ended up with over the past month:
Resident Evil 4.0
Zack and Wiki
MLB Power Pro
Godfather Blackhand
Mario & Sonic Olympics (for my kids)
Mario Party 8 (for my kids)
Medal of Honor: Honor 2
LEGO Star Wars (for my kids)

And these four games I got on Black Friday dirt cheap; I'm not expecting much:
SSX Blur
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Red Steel
Happy Feet (I think this will suck, but it was only $10 and my daughter might like it)

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and opinions! Much appreciated.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2007, 01:58:59 PM »

Don't count out SSX Blur.  If you change the controls to be entirely tilt based (instead of a combination of tilt and analog stick) it's got a lot of fun in it.  Not the best game ever or anything, but definitely underrated.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2007, 05:38:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 13, 2007, 01:58:59 PM

Don't count out SSX Blur.  If you change the controls to be entirely tilt based (instead of a combination of tilt and analog stick) it's got a lot of fun in it.  Not the best game ever or anything, but definitely underrated.

Thanks for the tip on the controls.

The reviews on SSX Blur do look pretty decent. I'm wondering if I'll get into it though. For some reason, I just haven't been able to get into a snowboarding/biking/skateboarding game yet.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2007, 05:39:56 PM »

The biggest problem I had with SSX Blur was the fact that Ubers were almost impossible... you have to "draw" shapes to activate them, but there's no way to tell if you're drawing them correctly.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2007, 05:52:17 PM »

Quote from: Laner on December 13, 2007, 05:39:56 PM

The biggest problem I had with SSX Blur was the fact that Ubers were almost impossible... you have to "draw" shapes to activate them, but there's no way to tell if you're drawing them correctly.

Shouldn't be a problem for me! I'm more at the level of "How do I not fall down on flat ground?" when I play these things.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2007, 06:55:08 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on December 13, 2007, 05:52:17 PM

Quote from: Laner on December 13, 2007, 05:39:56 PM

Shouldn't be a problem for me! I'm more at the level of "How do I not fall down on flat ground?" when I play these things.

Just learn to throw snowballs and teach you kids how to as well. Once you get good at it, you'll have many hours just playing running snowball matches . I've tried to encourage my kids to explore more aspects of the game, but they always quickly return to chase and snowball sessions. smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: