http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 09:55:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best tool to repair/clean game DVDs?  (Read 1381 times)
lokiju
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2006, 08:42:03 PM »

It's been a while since I considered repairing/cleaning console DVDs. I just found an older Game/Skip Dr. automated gizmo hiding in a closet, and was wondering if either anything better or something similar but a better brand has come out since 3 years ago? I'd like to have a safe way of cleaning/repairing DVDs and such. Any experience you guys have would be appreciated.

I tried this tool that I have on an older PS2 game, and what bothers me is that it seems to leave a strange fanning/layered mark around the cleaned DVD...doesn't seem to impact performance, but you can tell it was placed through the machine due to the markings.   

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 08:45:44 PM »

the best tool for this job is a regular old household toilet - put the dvd in there and flush! (either while holding it or dipping with a line - i suggest dipping)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 11:37:02 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on September 23, 2006, 08:45:44 PM

the best tool for this job is a regular old household toilet - put the dvd in there and flush! (either while holding it or dipping with a line - i suggest dipping)

make sure the toilet bowl is filled with fresh water before you do this......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 02:51:20 AM »

Quote from: lokiju on September 23, 2006, 08:42:03 PM

It's been a while since I considered repairing/cleaning console DVDs. I just found an older Game/Skip Dr. automated gizmo hiding in a closet, and was wondering if either anything better or something similar but a better brand has come out since 3 years ago? I'd like to have a safe way of cleaning/repairing DVDs and such. Any experience you guys have would be appreciated.

I tried this tool that I have on an older PS2 game, and what bothers me is that it seems to leave a strange fanning/layered mark around the cleaned DVD...doesn't seem to impact performance, but you can tell it was placed through the machine due to the markings.   

My buddy has a Simotech and it is unreal how good of a job it does.  Even deep gouges are removed.  You can find info and a video here;

http://www.simotech.com.tw/

http://www.simotech.com.tw/demovideo.wmv

I think he got it off Ebay for the $100.00 range. But he is a DVD buyer, and has most all game machines.. Hes a nice guy that allows me to resurface my games and stuff with his Simotech for free.  Notably, I have used it to restore 3 non-working, scratched to hell GameCube CD's.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 02:54:13 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 03:49:47 AM »

Unless you have a DVD that isn't working, you don't need to get it resurfaced.  If you really need to get one of your DVD's resurfaced, most used CD/DVD shops have a machine that can resurface discs for a couple of dollars.  Unless you end up with several discs that don't play because of them being scratched, you really don't need to get a resurfacer.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 04:43:53 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 24, 2006, 02:51:20 AM

My buddy has a Simotech and it is unreal how good of a job it does.  Even deep gouges are removed.  I think he got it off Ebay for the $100.00 range. But he is a DVD buyer, and has most all game machines.. Hes a nice guy that allows me to resurface my games and stuff with his Simotech for free.  Notably, I have used it to restore 3 non-working, scratched to hell GameCube CD's.

Thanks man, that is a nifty machine. With the price of next gen games, I believe this will serve me well.

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 04:47:03 AM »

Quote from: Graham on September 24, 2006, 03:49:47 AM

Unless you have a DVD that isn't working, you don't need to get it resurfaced.  If you really need to get one of your DVD's resurfaced, most used CD/DVD shops have a machine that can resurface discs for a couple of dollars.  Unless you end up with several discs that don't play because of them being scratched, you really don't need to get a resurfacer.

Well, I buy many used DVDs (Think I am at 375 total and adding weekly) and games for multiple systems and PC...so this will pay for itself and save me on trips to the local game store. I have a ton of cds this will hopefully fix as well. Seems like a winner.

Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 06:04:15 AM »

I snag my dads glasses cleaner, and spray a little amount on my game, use a cloth and clean er up. that usually does the trick unless its like hugely scratched. with like car keys or something.

i'm sure like soap and water or some cleaning solution would work. i'd just be worried if it might screw up my game, if the products to strong.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 04:39:08 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 24, 2006, 02:51:20 AM

My buddy has a Simotech and it is unreal how good of a job it does.  Even deep gouges are removed.

http://www.simotech.com.tw/

I think he got it off Ebay for the $100.00 range. But he is a DVD buyer, and has most all game machines.. Hes a nice guy that allows me to resurface my games and stuff with his Simotech for free.  Notably, I have used it to restore 3 non-working, scratched to hell GameCube CD's.

I got mine last week and have used it for close to 10 games/DVDs already...this machine is amazing! I had a horribly scratched up SW Legos 2 for 360 (would not work at all) and this made it look and play like brand-spanking new in minutes. Thanks Kobra.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: