http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:49:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best SRPGs?  (Read 3791 times)
Eduardo X
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2005, 02:36:24 AM »

I am hooked on SRPGs. I just beat Disgaea, am working through FFT and Phantom Brave, and am looking forward to Makai Kingdom next month.
Besides these, what other SRPGS are good?
I know of the Tactics Ogre and Ogre Tactics series, but other than that, I'm not sure what to get. There aren't any for PC, really, and I only have a PS2, so what should I do?

PSN ID: EduardoX
Hereafter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 02:52:24 AM »

You can try Front Mission 4. It's pretty short and easy but fun while it lasts.

I'm assuming you tried La Pucelle Tactics? It's alot less crazy then Disgaea and Phantom Brave but the story is alot stronger.

If you can find it: Ring of Red. Not the best but quite enjoyable and it's Sci-fi so if you're into something different...

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter's combat is sorta like a SRPG so you might want to consider it. Mind you the RPG mechanics are nothing like you've seen before.

There's also Stella which just came out awhile back. It's not too bad. I won't play it after Disgaea or Phantom Brave though since the combat is the anti-thesis of the two just mentioned.  The combat system uses an AP system like Fallout/X-Com.

You should buy a GBA SP and get the Fire Emblems though. Those are one of the best SRPGS out there. Mind you they're alot harder than all the SRPGS (except Tactics Ogre on the PS1) you've played.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 03:17:01 AM »

Quote from: "Hereafter"
You should buy a GBA SP and get the Fire Emblems though. Those are one of the best SRPGS out there.

Yup.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 04:05:46 AM »

GBA
Fire Emblem

PS2
Front Mission 4

Xbox
Gladius

PC
Jagged Alliance series

My favorite SRPGs

olaf
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 04:25:22 AM »

So much praise...may have to pick up Fire Emblem (getting a DS somewhat soon, MAYBE, and then the whole SRPG collection on gba will be MINE).

Could never get into Disgaea.  La Pucelle is my favorite SRPG of all-time.  I just plowed right through that game, which is odd, because rarely does a game grab me and not let go until I've finished it.  The ability to persaude enemies to come to your side was pretty cool - I had a killer bear army towards the end biggrin  The story is pretty damn good and I still wish srpg's would have great characters like Alouette and Croix featured in La Pucelle.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 06:05:47 AM »

I'll trade GTA:SA for La Pucelle, then.
I just worry about the step back from Disgaea. Is it bad?

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 08:18:16 AM »

There are a bunch available for the PSOne, though I haven't played most of them - Vandal Hearts 1 and 2, Kartia, Saiyuki, Arc the Lad Collection, Front Mission 3, etc.  I really like the Arc the Lad games, as they combine traditional RPG mechanics (visiting towns, walking around dungeons, etc.) with turn-based SRPG battles.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 04:04:22 PM »

Definitely Fire Emblem. There are two for the GBA (in the USA,) and of course there is one on the way for GameCube as well.

You could try Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance, but I think it sucks, doesn't even begin to compare to the PS1 game (doesn't compare to any SRPGs period, really.)

I'd also recommend Shining Force for GBA, it is very much like Fire Emblem.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 04:24:47 PM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
You could try Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance, but I think it sucks, doesn't even begin to compare to the PS1 game (doesn't compare to any SRPGs period, really.).

on the other hand, it's my favorite of all of'm (go figure smile )...

gotta agree with others here - if you're into srpgs, you owe it to yourself to get a gameboy...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 06:17:11 PM »

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy TA..but it definitly is a easy game.  I really disliked the story, and I hated the  dispatch missions.  both I loved the gameplay, and put many hours into it.  

If you want a nice challenge and don't mind some actual thinking definitly get FE.  I haven't enjoyed a game like this in a long time.

I just looked up my old psone in my bedroom in plans of  playing old FFT, and even Vanguard Bandits. [/img]

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Hereafter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 11:31:14 PM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"
I'll trade GTA:SA for La Pucelle, then.
I just worry about the step back from Disgaea. Is it bad?

Not at all The way LP, D:HOD and PB should be rated:

Storyline Intensity:

La Pucelle > PB > Disgaea

Crazy Combat:

Disgaea = PB > LP

Replaybility:

Disgaea > PB = La Pucelle

Forgot about Gladius. It's an okay game but it gets really easy after the first area. If you have the swing meter turned off it gets a little harder but nothing to write home about. Plus the combat animation is LONG and boring as heck.  I'll give it  a thumbs up but barely.

If you're looking got more S than RPG I would recommend Dynasty Tactics 2.  It plas more like a chess game than anything else on the PS2 (besides Chessmaster  :wink:).

Growslanser Generations is another SRPG you cold try. It's pretty fun and you get 2 games for the price of one. It's hard to find now so might end up paying a little more for it. The best thing about this game is that if you purchase it and you do'n't like it, chances are you can sell it online for minimal lost. The combat is like Ogre Battle or a RTS (barely) where you can pause and issue orders.

You should really get a SP though. BB in Canada has a deal: buy a SP and get Fire Emblem 1 for free; don't know about the States though.  

The following are SRPGs for the GBA

Fire Emblem: Sword of the Seals
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stone
Zone of Enders
FF: TA
Shining Force
Tactics Ogre
Onimusha Tactics

Not SRPG but almost in the same genere (no RPG elements):

Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2

I can give you a list of PS1 games and my recommendations but only if you want  smile .
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 12:30:20 AM »

on the other hand, it's my favorite of all of'm (go figure Smile )...

Yeah, many people here liked it very much. I wanted to like it (played FFT atleast five times.) It was just wholly disappointing (for me atleast.) I'm hoping for a real sequel to FFT on DS (touch screen!)
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 02:39:15 AM »

I would also vote for Fire Emblem.  In fact, there is a Fire Emblem type game for PS2, which I posted a few weeks back,

http://www.consolegold.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6564

However, you would need to import it.

Just to give you an idea on the insane variety of RPG that comes out for PS2, here is Metal Saga, a remake of 1991 Famicon title, to be released this week.  Car War anyone?  :shock:

http://www.success-corp.co.jp/software/ps2/metalsaga/index2.html

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 07:42:20 AM »

I saw that thread, Galadriels, but as I have no mod chip for my PS2, nor can I read Japanese, I figured the game would be useless to me.
If I get this job I have an interview for on Friday, I'll get me a DS and Fire Emblem.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 12:30:21 PM »

Quote from: "Hereafter"
Onimusha Tactics

another personal favorite (easy, but fun)...

Quote from: "Belgedin"
I wanted to like it (played FFT atleast five times.) It was just wholly disappointing (for me atleast.)

it might've been a combination of it being my first gameboy game & not having played the original, but even after playing fft since, i still prefer it. i liked the 'fairytale' atmosphere, & the emphasis on growing your own characters over providing you with ready-mades (& then there's the 'perfect' soundtrack - better shut up now before i'm tempted to replay)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 05:41:17 PM »

I read a bunch about Makai Kingdom, which comes out next month, and I'm tempted to wait for that. It looks great! I like Phantom Brave's combat and tactics a bit more than Disgaea, and Makai Kingdom looks like a perfected Phantom Brave. I mean, you get drivable vehicles! How cool is that?

Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2005, 07:20:32 AM »

if your going to play jappanese games, you mine as well get the robot wars series

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2005, 07:36:58 AM »

Gala, any idea when Berwick Saga and Metal Saga will be released in the US, or will they be released here at all?

If not, I suppose I'll just have to learn Japanese sooner than I'd planned.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2005, 11:28:02 AM »

Don't forget Rebelstar which is coming out for the GBA.  It's by the Gollup (sp?) brothers and is described as X-Com meets Advance Wars/Fire Emblem.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2005, 01:27:21 PM »

Eduardo X - I have a demo of Front Mission 4 - it's yours if you want it, just email me your address.

Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2005, 02:58:34 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Don't forget Rebelstar which is coming out for the GBA.  It's by the Gollup (sp?) brothers and is described as X-Com meets Advance Wars/Fire Emblem.

thanks for the reminder - video currently up on gametrailers...

edit: okay, just noticed the other thread...

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2005, 12:34:28 AM »

I've not yet bought anything, but I'm leaning toward either Front Mission 4 or waiting for Makai Kingdom.
EDIT: La Pucelle is still in the running, I just forgot to add it.

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2005, 01:32:45 AM »

it might've been a combination of it being my first gameboy game & not having played the original, but even after playing fft since, i still prefer it. i liked the 'fairytale' atmosphere, & the emphasis on growing your own characters over providing you with ready-mades (& then there's the 'perfect' soundtrack - better shut up now before i'm tempted to replay)...

Hehe, not gonna aruge with that. I am surprised you liked the original less. Thats personal taste for ya slywink
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2005, 12:58:00 AM »

I would avoid Front Mission 4.  It has a rather bland and mediocre gameplay, definitely not as good as Front Mission 3.  

I would suggest waiting for Makai Kingdom since it has the best gameplay out of all Nipponichi games.  The addition of building plus tanks/mechs is brilliant.  However, it does have a weak (and very short) story compare to La Pucelle, Disgaea, Phantom Brave.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: