http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 07:47:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best shoot-out/firefight?  (Read 1061 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2006, 08:03:56 PM »

CROSS POSTED at OO

I was playing GRAW on the 360 and was fighting in the first level in the railroad yard.  Being all thumbs with console games, it made me wish for a really good firefight. 

I would say the best one I've had was in Op Flashpoint.  It was maybe the second mission leading my own team - I think we had to go down into a valley and wipe out the bad guys.  First I positioned my men into the bushes on either side of a road and we wiped out a patrol.  Then going down the mountain/hill/valley, we got into a vicious shootout with the enemy.  The chaos, confusion, and disorientation was an incredible rush.  I truly felt that I was in the intense fight. 

Any other memorable firefights either on the PC or console?  Also, what xbox or 360 games feature fun shoot-outs?  (I just got Gears of War... icon_wink)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 08:22:55 PM »

The late game Strider battles from Half Life 2 are the first thing to pop in my mind. 
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 09:43:52 PM »

I love the majority of the fights from Call of Duty 2, especially where you have to take a certain position.  Moving from cover to cover, making an insane dash to the position...good stuff.
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 04:55:36 PM »

I really loved some of the maps on Enemy Territory.

Some of the old Day of Defeat maps were incredible, as well, but unfortunately DoD kept changing their mod, so every 8 months or so it made all the old maps worthless.  Last time I played (pre-Source), all the maps completely sucked.

Oh, and how could I forget one of the greatest maps evar, "Overlord" for UT?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:59:27 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 27, 2006, 04:55:36 PM

Oh, and how could I forget one of the greatest maps evar, "Overlord" for UT?

When I read about that map it became my whole reason to buy UT.  Awesome map.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 05:24:34 PM »

THe first medal of honor had some amazing firefights. The Panzershrek demo level was incredible and there was one more level that was wow inducing that I can't remember. The rest of the game didn't live up to what coulda been though..

I find that most firefights aren't epic enough: they're just too short or the bad guys come from a respawn point.

I'd love an extended firefight with more than 10 bad guys. Maybe the CoD games do that but I haven't played one yet.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 27, 2006, 05:24:34 PM

I'd love an extended firefight with more than 10 bad guys. Maybe the CoD games do that but I haven't played one yet.

Yeah, the CoD games excel at that.  Hell, the first CoD game had a mission that was essentially the equivalent of that classic Starcraft mission where you have to hold out against basically a horde of badguys for an extended period of time while waiting on reinforcements. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 05:43:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 27, 2006, 05:40:16 PM

Yeah, the CoD games excel at that.  Hell, the first CoD game had a mission that was essentially the equivalent of that classic Starcraft mission where you have to hold out against basically a horde of badguys for an extended period of time while waiting on reinforcements. 

Pretty much every CoD has had levels like that.  ATB, if you were to try a Call of Duty game, I'd suggest get CoD2 for the 360.  The 3rd one is OK, but the 2nd was better IMO.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 05:54:36 PM »

Basically all of OFP is my favorite, though there were a ton in Vietcong, both in SP and MP, that really were excellent.

Basically, any game where you can exchange gunfire for a long period of time and not kill all your opponents is good, in my opinion. The new Rainbow 6 game has that, though it is odd because that is a more "special forces" kind of game, where killing should be swift.
OFP would have been made tons better with good cover modeling, like what Vietcong had. Actually, Vietcong had some of the best cover in a game so far. The new Rainbow 6 has a good model, but that you can magically see around corners is a bit odd and cheap. I need to play Red Orchestra and see how that does it.

PSN ID: EduardoX
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 07:58:35 PM »

The first time I fired up the demo level in the original Call of Duty I just about wet my pants in excitement (TMI I know). The thrill of the motar shellings, the way my team was quickly cut to ribbons by the MG42 emplacements, and the slow crawl through the bombed out townscape was excellent.

Max Payne 2 has so many classic gunfights I couldn't even begin to list them all. I've replayed each of them so many times and had so many different experiences annihilating the enemies that it's all good. Were I to pick one individual sequence I'd point to the mansion towards the end. You're running down a hallway and the second the door in front of you starts to open throw it into shoot dodge mode and open fire. Eternal glory awaits. icon_lol

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 08:26:09 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 27, 2006, 07:58:35 PM

Max Payne 2 has so many classic gunfights I couldn't even begin to list them all. I've replayed each of them so many times and had so many different experiences annihilating the enemies that it's all good. Were I to pick one individual sequence I'd point to the mansion towards the end. You're running down a hallway and the second the door in front of you starts to open throw it into shoot dodge mode and open fire. Eternal glory awaits. icon_lol

Yes yes yes! Both Max Paynes had epic gunfights throughout.

Hopefully Stranglehold will leave us as equally breathless.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 08:27:36 PM »

Ratchet and Clank?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 10:44:13 PM »

I would have to go with Max Payne 2 with the Cinema Mod installed.  Best fire fights ever.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 12:42:02 AM »

So, due to the cartoony nature, Serious Sam gets no love?  Face it,you've played entire FPS's that had less bullets than 5 minutes in some of the bigger rooms in these games.  icon_biggrin

« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 12:46:08 AM by Big Jake » Logged

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 06:58:22 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on December 28, 2006, 12:42:02 AM

So, due to the cartoony nature, Serious Sam gets no love?  Face it,you've played entire FPS's that had less bullets than 5 minutes in some of the bigger rooms in these games.  icon_biggrin

Yeah, but that game was just one giant firefight.  Although, I have to admit, the scene where you approach a hill, hear some screaming, and then see a giant horde of headless suicide bombers running at you, screaming, was quite intense.  Also the charging bull-creatures.  Those were awesome.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 07:04:23 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on December 27, 2006, 10:44:13 PM

I would have to go with Max Payne 2 with the Cinema Mod installed.  Best fire fights ever.

Amen to that one, brother! The room I mentioned earlier is so much more fun with that mod installed.  icon_twisted

As for Serious Sam, I'd point to the finale when you're busting ass towards the giant pyramid in the distance, all manner of creatures are charging you and then the Big Bad stands up behind you and starts walking towards you. And by "walking" I mean "taking the biggest damn strides for any Big Bad EVER" consider his size.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 02:19:35 AM »

Halo had some great firefights on the larger, outdoor levels. Some good times there, rolling around in a tank or warthog. Good times...

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: