http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 03:41:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What was the best launch game for PSP?  (Voting closed: March 30, 2005, 04:25:49 PM)
Lumines - 9 (31%)
Ridge Racer - 4 (13.8%)
Wipeout Pure - 5 (17.2%)
Metal Gear Ac!d - 4 (13.8%)
Twisted Metal: Head On - 0 (0%)
Untold Legends - 4 (13.8%)
Gretzky Hockey - 1 (3.4%)
Tony Hawk Underground 2: Remix - 1 (3.4%)
Darkstalkers - 0 (0%)
Other (List in Post) - 1 (3.4%)
Total Voters: 29

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best PSP Launch Game?  (Read 1682 times)
ChaoZ
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2005, 04:25:49 PM »

Crossposted at OO

Title says it all.

In your post, perhaps it's useful to say what you voted for and what games you own.

My vote goes to Metal Gear Acid, mainly because I see so much depth in it and also replay value. At launch, I bought Metal Gear and Ridge Racer.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 04:59:32 PM »

Wow.  I'm suprised to see no love for Wipeout Pure.  And the equal love for Metal Gear Acid (with it's love/hate thing, I still figure it won't climb as fast).  For me, it was between Ridge Racer and Lumines.  Went with RR just because there's more to unlock.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 05:16:38 PM »

Metal Gear Acid- I think its got far more depth and longevity than any of the other launch titles.  Aside from some polish issues in the graphics and translation, it doesn't feel like a launch title with the amount of content (I'm at 13 hours played and less than a 1/3 of the way through) and replayability.  

Runners-Up

Wipeout- a contender to be sure but is a bit lacking in number of tracks and vehicles(you can see 2/3 of the tracks within an hour of starting the game) and relatively basic game types (typical tournament, single race, and the unique "zone" mode).  Still the amazing visuals and sensation of speed in the higher leagues makes this one very addicting and pretty amazing.

Ridge Racers- Visuals are nice but not as impressive as I was lead to believe from the Japanese launch.  Lots of tracks though with some very ingenious track design.  Seems relatively easy at the start but has an incredible soundtrack and its lots of fun.

Those are the only three games I have.  I had decided to forgo Untold Legends after the lackluster reviews, but the player reviews have been overwhelmingly positive so I think this will be the next title I pick up for the PSP.

Otherwise, the only other launch title I'm interested in is NFSU: Rivals.  I really enjoyed the first NFSU game (avoided the second due to lackluster reviews) and I like the look of the series, variety of race types, and the inclusion of real world cars (something currently lacking in other race games for the PSP.  

So my only regret is maybe bypassing Untold Legends for Ridge Racer.  RR is great, but its the least of my games IMO and with Wipeout currently satisfying my racing needs UL would have provided a bit more variety.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »

I bought the PSP explicitly for Wipeout Pure. I love the game, but I've only spent about 3 hours with it so far. That being said, I voted for Lumines. I've spent a rediculous amount of time with it since last Thursday. I am insanly addicted, to the point where I find myself playing the game in my head while I'm at work.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 05:50:29 PM »

Gretzky. Done!

Probably not really the "best" but it's taken up most of my time over the other heavy hitters.

I'll throw a nod to RR and MGA too!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 06:49:24 PM »

Not voting, since I can't beleive any of the games I bought at release are the best... (Wipeout, Lumines *cough*NFS*cough*)...

Havent' been able to get my hands on Ridge Racer yet, still not convinced on Acid.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 07:18:37 PM »

My new-system honeymoon lasted about 3 days and is now over.  I bought Wipeout, Lumines and Tiger Woods.  None of them have blown me away.  Wipeout is nice but nothing new and Tiger Woods has the annoying load times.  Lumines is just another block based puzzle game and I'm left wondering what all the hype was about.  I'm guessing that we won't see any really great games until this holiday season when the glut should (hopefully) arrive.  Add on top of it that I'm going to have to exchange my system for a 2nd time due to dead pixels.  Buyer's remorse is definitely setting in, but I'm confident that in the long run I'll at least get my money's worth out of it.

Just wanted to add that outside of the bad QA on the pixels, that I think this hardware is very cool.  It's a huge advancement hardware-wise and the potential is huge.  I'm sure I'll be able to use it for more than just viewing the Star Wars trailer soon. smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 07:41:34 PM »

I've only played Lumines and Wipeout and honestly I can't tell which I like more.  They're so different.

I have Ac!d and Untold Legends still sealed, but I intend to return UL and I'm not hot on opening Ac!d until I'm ready to play it.

My honeymoon is over with the PSP as well, but not to a dramatic extent -- I'm just not playing it exclusively, it's getting roughly the same amount of time as my other systems and my PC.  Plus I've found that Wipeout and Lumines are not the kind of games you sit down and play for hours and hours, they're more pick-up-and-play titles, good for a few minutes here and there.  I still very much like the system, though, and am pleased with my purchase.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 07:58:12 PM »

ANDSHINEANDSHINEANDSHINEANDSHINEANDSHINE

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 08:01:00 PM »

SHAKEYOURBODYSHAKEYOURBODYSHAKEYOURBODYDOWNTOTHEGROUND
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 09:13:06 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"

This, I'm very, very used to.  And yet, I still like it!

Quote from: "angrycoder"
SHAKEYOURBODYSHAKEYOURBODYSHAKEYOURBODYDOWNTOTHEGROUND

This little tune/background I attained last night.  Pretty freakay when all of a sudden huge lips appear on the screen.

Oh, and yep - my vote is for Lumines.  Awesome, awesome game.  Wipeout is pretty dang good too.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 09:14:57 PM »

My honeymoon is still going strong even after a couple system exchanges (one due to my own pickyness, and the other due to a black piece of dust under the center of the screen).

Wipeout is pure gaming bliss on the run.   I can wip out a race in no time flat, and I LOVE the way the PSP just saves where you are when you power off.  I see the downloading potential here too!  

I'm going to skip Tiger Woods in favor of Hot Shots when it comes in May.   I'm renting Lumines to find out what the hype is about, and also plan to rent Untold Legends.

The hardware seems very robust and sexy.   I don't mind at all playing it in public areas because it just looks so sophisticated.    My coworkers even turned their heads at Spider Man 2.

So for I have not an ounce of buyer's remorse, and I'm going to sell my DS to pay for more PSP 'stuff' purchases.   Even if it means putting the money aside for future purchases.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 09:32:12 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
My honeymoon is still going strong even after a couple system exchanges (one due to my own pickyness, and the other due to a black piece of dust under the center of the screen).

Wipeout is pure gaming bliss on the run.   I can wip out a race in no time flat, and I LOVE the way the PSP just saves where you are when you power off.  I see the downloading potential here too!  

I'm going to skip Tiger Woods in favor of Hot Shots when it comes in May.   I'm renting Lumines to find out what the hype is about, and also plan to rent Untold Legends.

The hardware seems very robust and sexy.   I don't mind at all playing it in public areas because it just looks so sophisticated.    My coworkers even turned their heads at Spider Man 2.

So for I have not an ounce of buyer's remorse, and I'm going to sell my DS to pay for more PSP 'stuff' purchases.   Even if it means putting the money aside for future purchases.

Hot shots over tiger woods???
why man, why? my brain hurts? hot shots is arcade golf nonsense
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 10:06:58 PM »

You know you love it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 10:21:26 PM »

I voted Lumines, but I haven't had a chance to play Wipeout or RR yet.

Lumines is fun and addictive.  I'll sit for hours playing that if no one stops me.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 11:34:36 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"

Hot shots over tiger woods???
why man, why? my brain hurts? hot shots is arcade golf nonsense

You might as well ask why people like NBA Street compared to NBA Live, or Burnout vs. Gran Turismo.  Realism isn't always the most fun thing.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 03:28:40 AM »

Im having the most fun with soccer actually! Great so far. I have soccer, wipeout and untold legends. All well worth the money, but soccer has my attention the most so far.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 04:46:31 AM »

Quote from: "depward"

This, I'm very, very used to.  And yet, I still like it!

I enjoyed both these songs so much I bought 2 Mondo Grosso cd's off ebay this weekend. I am insane.
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 06:33:27 PM »

the first time it sang SHINE 147 times in a row I swear I thought the disk was broken/skipping/defective.

But now it's my mantra.

Oh and SHAKE YOUR BODY flying all over the screen was a bit disconcerting too... just got that this morning (been playing Untold Legends way too much and Lumines only in small doses).

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2005, 09:43:49 PM »

Not to be a prick :wink: , but I wanted to let you know that if it "saves where you are" you are NOT tunring it off, just putting into sleep mode. I`m a huge fan of wipeout also!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: