http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 01:33:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best PC game to test new PC graphically  (Read 1842 times)
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2007, 05:55:52 PM »

I am getting a new PC and I wanted to have a game to try out and see what it can do. I currently play WOW but that is not going to push the system much. I am thinking about STALKER or Oblivion with the texture mods, but I have been out of the PC game market for a while. any suggestions on what a good current game is to try out

My specs are
Core 2 Duo E6400
2GB Ram
NVIDIA 8800GTS 640MB
500GB HD
22 inch widescreen monitor
Jancelot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 06:06:15 PM »

Oblivion and Stalker are excellent choices.  Also, I like to load up Half-Life 2, Painkiller, Titan Quest and Company of Heroes.  All very nice lookings games (but FPS ones are usually the most impressive).

bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 07:18:12 PM »

cool thanks, how is titan quest gameplay wise. I havent really looked at PC games in a while
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 08:01:23 PM »

Quote from: bluntman72 on April 10, 2007, 07:18:12 PM

cool thanks, how is titan quest gameplay wise. I havent really looked at PC games in a while

Diablo in ancient greece and with non-sucky gfx smile
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 11:14:25 PM »

FEAR + the Extraction Point expansion.

Fear's a year old, but a noted system hog; I just did the expansion over @ New Year, and it was even a bit hoggier. Excellent graphics, sensational enemy soldier A.I., and lotsa subtle graphics stuff w/ smoke, a great slomo effect & tracer fire, plus real sharp explosions. On flip side, environments are exceedingly sterile & of the eternal hallway variety. But the combat encounters play GREAT & everything turned up will give your system a good shakedown.

PREY is also a graphically good recent FPS. I'd shorthand describe as a (IMHO) better Halo-for-the-pc.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 07:59:21 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on April 10, 2007, 06:06:15 PM

Oblivion and Stalker are excellent choices.  Also, I like to load up Half-Life 2, Painkiller, Titan Quest and Company of Heroes.  All very nice lookings games (but FPS ones are usually the most impressive).

Painkiller?  I found Painkiller's graphics to be circa 2000.  Everything was square edges and blocky animation, from what I recall.  I played through the first level and didn't feel inclined to continue...
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 09:09:22 PM »

I'd actually use Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, and Oblivion test the graphics, all of those have a definite "Wow" factor for me. Other games that are pretty decent are Battlefield 2 (especially on large servers), Half-Life 2, FEAR, and Prey give your graphics card a good run for your money. Despite that, the first 3 really had powerful graphics for me.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 09:18:58 PM »

Quote from: Mattc0m on April 11, 2007, 09:09:22 PM

I'd actually use Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, and Oblivion test the graphics, all of those have a definite "Wow" factor for me. Other games that are pretty decent are Battlefield 2 (especially on large servers), Half-Life 2, FEAR, and Prey give your graphics card a good run for your money. Despite that, the first 3 really had powerful graphics for me.

I agree.
- Half Life 2 episode 1
- Prey
- Company of Heroes
- Oblivion
- BF 2142 (rather than BF2)
- FEAR
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 10:44:17 PM »

Remember when Messiah came out and Dave Perry promised that the graphics were such that it would scale up (in terms of triangles in models) with new systems for years to come?

This thread got me wondering for how long that held true...

xbox live: nude rick james
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 10:48:04 PM »

Quote from: Clay on April 11, 2007, 10:44:17 PM

Remember when Messiah came out and Dave Perry promised that the graphics were such that it would scale up (in terms of triangles in models) with new systems for years to come?

This thread got me wondering for how long that held true...

Since the game was mediocre in the way it played, barely above average in graphics at the time, I am guessing this held true for about 4 minutes after he gave that interview.  icon_wink
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 12:33:57 AM »

I believe HL and HL2 scale the graphics as well.  So whatever trick is involved, it seems to have been done with varying forms of success.
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 03:55:19 PM »

I think i want to try stalker and titan quest right now. I am hoping they have patched stalker enough by the time I get it so i dont have any issues with it. I am thinking of company of heroes but I am not sure about the game since i am not very good at any RTS that requires small unit tactics, when i play an RTS I just want to build units and send waves of them at my opponent and this one looks like you have to deal with allot of strategy and control of the units so I think I will pass on it.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 05:31:40 PM »

I'd suggest Lord of the Rings Online also.  Especially while you can jump right in on the open beta.  MMO's tend to be a great way to test how strong your system really is.  Mine is pretty similar to yours and my roomate pretty much cries at how much better it looks on my machine then his, and at how smooth it plays.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 04:21:09 AM »

I don't see Titan Quest as a test of a PC's graphical capabilties, I mean come on weren't the environments not 3D? I personally recall it being ugly.

My suggestions are FEAR and Oblivion, you couldn't ask for two bigger system hogs.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 11:46:58 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 16, 2007, 04:21:09 AM

I don't see Titan Quest as a test of a PC's graphical capabilties, I mean come on weren't the environments not 3D?

Huh? Your either going blind or have a shit computer.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 01:39:44 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on April 16, 2007, 11:46:58 AM

Quote from: Ridah on April 16, 2007, 04:21:09 AM

I don't see Titan Quest as a test of a PC's graphical capabilties, I mean come on weren't the environments not 3D?

Huh? Your either going blind or have a shit computer.

Crank up all the settings for Titan Quest and you'll definitely have a good test. 

Everquest 2 on high graphics settings will humble a lot of rigs.  It's one of the few games I've seen that was (at the time of release) designed for pc's and video cards not in existence.       
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »

I'd say Gothic 3, but you may have issues running it if you have Vista.  I ended up having to installing a crack to get it running due to it's 'uncrackable' copy protection'  not like Vista Roll Eyes.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: