http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 01:17:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best looking PC games?  (Read 2010 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:06:36 PM »

New computer ordered today, a nice upgrade, so I'm curious what are the best looking games out there now?

I already have Oblivion, and running it with HDR and having it somewhat smooth will be a nice upgrade.  What else is out there?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:51:53 PM »

Half-Life 2.
Quake IV.

Mmm...EVE Online, actually.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 09:31:11 PM »

The just released demo, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic, would be a good one to try out on your new rig. It looks quite exceptional.

Another one would be Chronicles of Riddick.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 09:31:50 PM »

Crysis. slywink

Prey (kinda)

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 09:45:58 PM »

Serious Sam 2, crazy graphics, a lot of action that can slow down some rigs.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 01:28:08 AM »

Far Cry has some pretty nice graphics, and they released a patch (beta) that added HDR lighting and such for high-end rigs.  

I agree that Riddick with soft shadows on is nice.  Speaking of soft shadows, F.E.A.R. is another good looking game that sent my computer into convulsions with the goodies cranked up.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 01:31:16 PM »

Flatout 2!!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 01:46:20 PM »

Far Cry still looks really good?  Worth the $20 its at now then?

I'm looking forward to trying the Dark Messiah demo on my new computer when it arrives.  Dark Messiah was a fun slideshow on my current one.

How about Rise of Legends?  Does Warhammer still look good?

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 02:01:38 PM »

I think Battle for Middle Earth 2 (the RTS game) looks pretty.  I'm not super keen on the game itself (although it certainly isn't bad).  But it looks pretty darn good all cranked up.

Oh, and EVE online is sharp looking too.  I agree with that.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »

If you can grab a key for Company of Heroes, they looks fabulous.  BFME2 I agree, extremely nice looking. (Get CLORDS Faction Mod to fix the gameplay though hehe)

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 04:07:54 PM »

Dawn of War.  It's cheap and it looks AWESOME at high levels.

Just Hiro will do.
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 03:00:26 AM »

Funny, I was just about to post a topic like this. I have a new computer coming as well (woot for Core 2 Duo).

Looks like my first two things I'll try on it are Oblivion at full settings and the Dark Messiah Demo.

Welcome to the Bovine.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 07:18:08 AM »

I can't believe no one's mentioned FEAR. It's the newest shooter other than Prey and does a lot of graphical things very well.  Plus, there's an expansion coming this fall.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 11:44:37 AM »

I have a new computer coming as well (woot for Core 2 Duo).
Yep, can't wait, though it won't be till the end of the month.  Build time + Core 2's not getting out quickly enough.  Lazy this time and just having a nice system built.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I plan on putting on Oblivion, and running the game smoothly on the system, well, smoothly compared to my current one.  Also grabbed Far Cry for $10, and picked up Warhammer Dawn of War.  I can play Dawn of War a bit on the old computer while I wait (looks fun so far).  Company of Heroes looks great too for September.  BFME 2 I'll grab again with the expansion if its good.

Isn't there are free FEAR multiplayer out very soon?  That could be fun to test the system on as well!

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 01:56:11 AM »

Speaking of "testing the system"... you could try Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter.  I just got my new rig also, and watching this game maxed out is just...  nice.  And if you set the quality high enough, it will test your system, trust me on that.   icon_wink

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 02:20:29 AM »

How about one of those rally racing car games. They have such fantastic scenary.

Ye Olde Farte
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 02:39:59 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on August 16, 2006, 02:20:29 AM

How about one of those rally racing car games. They have such fantastic scenary.

If you're looking for a rally game, Xpand Rally is a pretty damn nice looking one that offers both hardcore and more arcade like physics.  It runs about $20, and of course has a demo if you just want to try it out. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 12:39:17 PM »

Speaking of "testing the system"... you could try Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter.  I just got my new rig also, and watching this game maxed out is just...  nice.  And if you set the quality high enough, it will test your system, trust me on that.   icon_wink
Funny you mention that, as Ghost Recon is actually coming with the system.  My first reaction is that I'm getting a new system and the first game that's coming with it will still run choppy!  I've read a lot of talk about how slow Ghost Recon is.  How's the AI, has it been fixed in the latest patches?  I'm only getting one 7900GT with the system, so hopefully it'll run well.  I figured I'd wait and pick up another 7900GT when they drop even lower in price for SLI.

Warhammer looks decent on my current system, with all the settings on low.  I can't wait to see it in its full glory.

I'll check out the rally game too.  I'm waiting for the Microsoft adapter that lets you use 360 wireless controllers on the PC, then I can try some more of the racing games on the computer.

Thanks for the extra suggestions!

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 01:06:13 PM »

I don't know what you're getting (system specs wise), but my rig is an AMD2 64 something or other, 4600+ with 2 gigs of Corsair something-or-other ram and one 7900gt.  GR:Advanced Warfighter runs hitch free for me, so I'm sure it will for you also.  It taxed my older system like you wouldn't believe though.  There are two "main" patches for it now as far as I know.  1.10 and 1.20 w/mappack.  The A.I. isn't gonna win any awards, even with 1.20, but it is certainly improved over what the game shipped with, no question.

Between that and F.E.A.R. ...  I would say you have some incredibly cool gaming sessions ahead of you.  I am happy for you.  Getting a new system is always so much fun.  Enjoy!

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 02:01:30 PM »

I don't know what you're getting (system specs wise), but my rig is an AMD2 64 something or other, 4600+ with 2 gigs of Corsair something-or-other ram and one 7900gt.
I'm getting a 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo, with 2 gigs of ram and 7900gt as well.  Hopefully I can overclock it up to 3ghz or so as well, which would be nice.  I figured I could always add the SLI piece later when prices drop, or just get a DX 10 card next year. 

GR:Advanced Warfighter runs hitch free for me, so I'm sure it will for you also.  It taxed my older system like you wouldn't believe though.  There are two "main" patches for it now as far as I know.  1.10 and 1.20 w/mappack.  The A.I. isn't gonna win any awards, even with 1.20, but it is certainly improved over what the game shipped with, no question.
Good to know.  What resolution do you run it at?  I'm stuck at 1650x1080 for my LCD, so hopefully it does okay at that, or at least, I don't like to drop down as much.  Is the game worth playing through in your opinion?  Any of the patches allow you to save at any point?

---
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 02:17:33 PM »

My monitor's native is 1280x1024.  I try to play everything at that resolution if I can.  I have no clue how GR:AW scales for monitors like yours.

Is the game worth playing through?  Well, I am much less willing to recommend these type of games versus sports games to people, but in my opinion it is without question worth playing through.  Then again, I really like the slow, methodical, plodding pace of tactical-type shooters.  If you don't, I could see this game being pretty "meh".

Saving anywhere?  I'm thinking no.  Perhaps there is a mod that lets you, but I really have no clue.  I do not think I have played the campaign since the latest patch, so my information could be wrong. 

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 05:39:33 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 16, 2006, 02:17:33 PM

Is the game worth playing through?  Well, I am much less willing to recommend these type of games versus sports games to people, but in my opinion it is without question worth playing through.  Then again, I really like the slow, methodical, plodding pace of tactical-type shooters.  If you don't, I could see this game being pretty "meh".
I'll give it a shot.  I tend to be more like Rambo in my games, so Ghost may be tough.  Call of Duty 2 was almost perfect for me.  You could act Rambo-like at times, but still had to be careful.

---
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 07:28:55 PM »

Black and white 2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: