http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 09:52:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What current "GTA" style sandbox game do you prefer?
GTA IV - 10 (20.4%)
Godfather - 6 (12.2%)
Saints Row - 2 (4.1%)
Crackdown - 12 (24.5%)
Saints Row 2 - 12 (24.5%)
GTA San Andreas - 3 (6.1%)
GTA 3 - 1 (2%)
GTA 3 Vice City - 3 (6.1%)
Mafia 1/2(soon) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best GTA style sandbox game and why  (Read 2691 times)
marcusjm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2009, 01:58:23 PM »

I love this game type but I am not sure which of these games come up on top. I have yet
to play GTA IV so I can't give a fair comment on that but personally I find the fighting system in either
Godfather or Saints Row superior to the older GTA:s.

Comments appreciated.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 02:44:47 PM »

i have to say GTA4,its the city that wins it,its just so impressive..for whats its worth the fighting and shooting in GTA4 is a lot easier than past GTAs,past GTAs were a bit annoying...some people liked the upgrade,some people didnt,i liked it,but i think it may of accounted for GTA4 being my first GTA game i have completed

i am looking forward to Godfather II,i loved the first..

hoping for Saints Row 3 to be announced as well

but all those games you have listed are all great games(stick Mafia on there as well  icon_wink )

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 02:51:06 PM »

Crackdown.

It emphasizes the fun parts and minimizes the boring parts

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 02:56:03 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 13, 2009, 02:51:06 PM

Crackdown.

It emphasizes the fun parts and minimizes the boring parts

+1.  nothing like leaping from rooftop to rooftop, raining death upon your enemies like a good citizen.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 02:56:59 PM »

Does Mafia not count?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 03:16:01 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on March 13, 2009, 02:56:59 PM

Does Mafia not count?

It's not really next gen, I guess.  Vice City's not on here either, and that would be my personal choice for best overall GTA-style game.  Although, I just noticed that GTA 3 is on here, so I guess Mafia should count.  The sandbox and story aspects are separated, though.  Personally, I only played with the storyline, which was astounding, but way too challenging in parts.

Overall, this is a tough vote for me.  If we can separate story out of it, then it's easier.  I'd put Saints Row 2 and Crackdown at the top for pure fun - the best "games," overall, and the best implementation of the sandbox.  But GTA really kicks ass on making you care about the characters.  And GTA IV takes major steps forward into adult (and I don't mean violent, though that's part of it, of course) storytelling.  Unfortunately, it also takes major steps backward with bowling dates. 

Godfather is a fairly amazing game, too, but it's a royal pain in the ass in the early stages unless you're willing to pay for some of the boost DLC (which I finally caved and did).  That offends me on principal, so no vote (I should note, though, that I hear the Wii version is the best one, and I never played that).

I voted for Saints Row 2, just because it has a decent story...not the best, but it's there...and excellent, fun, over-the-top gameplay.  I think Crackdown beats it on pure gameplay, but there is next to no story, and I think GTA IV beats it on story, but so much of the gameplay is frustrating - like they took out the fun.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »

I loved Godfather. It's one of the biggest gaming surprises I've ever had.  Not a fan of the movies, they did an incredible job of weaving your character into the film's events and the missions never got tiring for me.

I've never played any of the others so keep that in mind...
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 04:33:27 PM »

It isn't current gen, but the Hulk: Ultimate Destruction game is just amazing. It's super cheap too, shouldn't cost you more than $5. It is BC on the 360, or if you have a BC PS3, that'll work too.

Basically, it is crackdown without guns, but you can pick up anything and use it as a weapon. Is there a tank that's bugging you? Pick it up and throw it at a soldier. Is a cop shooting you? Pick him up and throw him at other cops. Pick up a city bus, split it in half, and use it as brass knuckles. Or throw a tank at a helicopter!

It is some serious, under-appreciated fun. Also, no dating sim.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 04:51:04 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on March 13, 2009, 04:33:27 PM

It isn't current gen, but the Hulk: Ultimate Destruction game is just amazing. It's super cheap too, shouldn't cost you more than $5. It is BC on the 360, or if you have a BC PS3, that'll work too.

Basically, it is crackdown without guns, but you can pick up anything and use it as a weapon. Is there a tank that's bugging you? Pick it up and throw it at a soldier. Is a cop shooting you? Pick him up and throw him at other cops. Pick up a city bus, split it in half, and use it as brass knuckles. Or throw a tank at a helicopter!

It is some serious, under-appreciated fun. Also, no dating sim.

H:UD is a total blast.

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on March 13, 2009, 03:24:37 PM

I loved Godfather. It's one of the biggest gaming surprises I've ever had.  Not a fan of the movies...[THINGS THEN SAID AFTER THIS THAT HAVE NO MEANING OR IMPACT NOW]
   icon_wink

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »

I always thought Mafia was more linear than sandbox. Maybe I remembered wrong.
As for Vice City, I skipped it due to GTA 3 but maybe it should have been there.

Most surprised by Crackdown so far. I thought it got mediocre reviews.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »

Where's Vice City?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 05:53:01 PM »

At the bottom slywink

Looks like Crackdown is winning this, surprising.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 06:13:29 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on March 13, 2009, 05:28:31 PM

I always thought Mafia was more linear than sandbox. Maybe I remembered wrong.

Again, the sandbox part is separated from the main game, but it's there.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 06:34:14 PM »

I had to vote for Godfather. GTA4 would have been my choice, but the friends aspect really brought the game down in my opinion. I played Crackdown but got bored with it very quickly, so barely played the game really. Saint's Row was fun while I played it, but it kept making my 360 freeze, so I didn't get a chance to play it too much either.

Godfather on the other hand was the only game on this list where I thoroughly enjoyed almost every aspect of the game. I normally don't mess around much with the sandbox type elements of these games. Once I finish the story these type of games drop off my radar fairly quickly. Godfather though I played for a long time after finishing the story.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 06:37:21 PM »

id either say godfather or san andreas (i never played iv - by that time i was burnt out on them).  i cant explain why

and i never really liked crackdown that much
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 06:55:46 PM »

Undoubtedly SR2 tops em all.

Best sound FX (weapons xplosions & music) with good other sounds

Okay Graphics

Incredibly awsome plot/storytelling through cutscenes/lovable characters/humour/fun factor.

Nothing else comes close in my book.

SR1/SR2 and Mercs1/2 remain the only open world games that stayed sheer fun all the way through the game.

So i'll have to give Mercs 2 second place from me.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 07:09:03 PM »

How would you rate SR2 vs SR1 then? I have 1 but it is hard to tell the difference with number 2.
Can you own venues etc in SR2?

I will add Mafia then.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »

From the list, SR2, but Hulk:UD was tremendous. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 09:37:24 PM »

I'm going with GTA 3.  It was the first of these types of games I've played and the one that has left the strongest lasting impression.  I still remember all the alleys, the missions, the music.  It was completely absorbing.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »

Mafia wasn't nearly as much of a sandbox game as the others and had some annoyances (speed limits anyone?), but for story + atmosphere is probably the best on the list.  That said, if you were looking for the best overall sandbox style game I don't think you can beat GTA4....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 11:34:03 PM »

my vote goes to GTA:San Andreas just because of the scope of the game world and countless activities available.  i've played and enjoyed just about every game on the list, but SA took the sandbox game to a whole new level with the amount of different stuff you could try at any time...shooting, driving, flying (planes or helicopters), remote control vehicles, skydiving, riding bicycles, and even a few RPG-like elements.  while games like Crackdown are fun because they streamline the experience and do a few things extremely well, it's hard to beat SA in terms of variety.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »

damn, it's hard to pick just one from the list (where are mercs, far cry 2 and scarface, btw?) and like many others, some aspects of one game top everything else, while taking a back seat based on another. 

gta 3, vc had great atmosphere and offered a well balanced mix of sandbox vs missions. 
gta sa had a huge world (with tons of stuff to do) to run around in that hasn't been topped in any SB game since. 
gta4 had a finely detailed city with a great immersion factor and some of the best SB shooter controls ever.
crackdown gave you a city at war and the super powers to tackle enemies in fun ways.  also had a great co-op mode.
sr1 took the SB concept and turned it into a parody of it's serious counterparts, and works in damn near every level.  sr2 refined the concept and added full co-op to boot.
mercs 1 brought the ability to destroy buildings using an ever increasing scale of heavy weaponry, a feature only duplicated in it's sequel which also added full co-op too.  mercs 2 has the biggest user controlled explosive ordinance in any game.  a plus goes to it's implementation of vehicle camouflage (hide in an enemy vehicle to infiltrate their base)
godfather 1 simply kicked ass in the hand-to-hand fighting department and had shooting controls which influenced gta4.  integration with the movie is also a plus for fans.  the sequel is looking to take this all up a notch and add some grander gameplay options appropriate for a godfather.
scarface had a different take on earned money (you had to launder it at the bank before it stayed yours:  if you died with dirty money, it was lost) and a strong emphasis on empire building which seems to have influenced godfather 2. 
far cry 2, while not a third person SB game, also has some impressive aspects, namely the effect on flammable objects you have and it's enemy AI's environmental awareness. 
mafia had such a great story that it's remembered by most of the gaming community long after it's gone, and also had a great control scheme and memorable environment.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 08:18:35 PM »

I say The Godfather followed by both Mercenaries and Far Cry 2. I've played all the GTAs and only GTA3 has a pleasant memory for me. I tried playing Vice City again recently and the controls are just impossibly screwy. Ditto SA which I completed to 100% when I originally played it. I hate every single thing about GTAIV so I'm not voting for that.

I am surprised that Just Cause isn't on the list. It was a lot of fun, though having played it recently I don't think it plays as well now as it did upon release.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »

GTA:Chinatown wars. Simple answer!
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »

Looks like I need to finally play Crackdown. Got it cheap used a long time ago but have never played it. I always hear such great things about it and I love sandbox games. Add being a superhero and... I need to play it already.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 10:11:59 PM »

The Godfather really changed my attitude towards sandbox games. Before it, I'd tried a number of the GTA games, but never enjoyed any of them. I think my biggest problem with GTA is that I could never empathise with the protagonists and would be just as glad to see them dead as the next antagonist. The Godfather provided a context that was much more meaningful, to the extent I really wanted to succeed as a member of the Corleone family. I've been playing Mafia off and on recently and I wouldn't really classify it as a sandbox game. I'd say No More Heroes -a game I also enjoyed very much- deserves to be included in the list more than Mafia.

I haven't played Crackdown, but the demo was enough over-the-top that I could see myself enjoying the game.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:14:05 PM by kronovan » Logged
JR
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 11:19:23 PM »

Didn't play Godfather (it's on the backlog pile).  I always seem to burn out on and never finish a GTA game.   Same for Crackdown, it was fun for a while but for some reason I got bored.  Mafia was great, but I don't really consider it an open world game (I don't recall there being that much to do outside the main storyline).

That said Saint's Row and Saint's Row 2 for some reason really clicked with me.   I played both to the end and had a blast doing so.  I loved SR1.   SR2 improved on the first and took it to another level.  Really for me, nothing else comes close.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: