http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:52:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Game of All Time: und zer vinner ist . . .  (Read 2558 times)
Hipolito
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2004, 03:51:30 PM »

The winner of our third "Tournament of Champions" is:

Making its way up the 128-game bracket, Baldur's Gate II defeated the likes of Unreal Tournament, Disciples II, The Longest Journey, System Shock 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Diablo II, and Knights of the Old Republic to finally cream Planescape: Torment 27-19.  Congratulations to Bioware, which will receive a Certificate of Awesomeness and coupon for a free car wash!

That was fun, but let's take some time off before we do another tournament.  We need a break.  For next time, though, how would you guys feel about a best-of-genre poll, in which you pick your favorite games of each genre?  That way, the games we love that didn't even make it past the first round of this tournament might get some recognition.  I've thought a lot about this idea, and may start a new thread to gauge interest in it.
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 04:21:56 PM »

Feh.  Ultima 5 is 10x the game BG2 is.  And don't get me started on Adventure and Nethack! slywink
Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 04:54:14 PM »

You have chosen well fellow gamers.  I salute you.

The next time this is done I suggest a minimum of 3 or so nominations for a game to be entered.  Then we don't have as many oddball games because one person decided "Oh what the hell".  We could also do the best of genre thing and then if whoever runs it wants to, pit the best of the genres against each other.

Who reads these anyway?
Beer Goggles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 05:08:40 PM »

Rigged.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 05:13:46 PM »

I want a recount. I don't trust those Diebold voting machines....  :wink:
Grundbegriff
Gaming Trend Reader

Maryland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 05:20:16 PM »

What can change the nature of a tournament?

D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 05:49:07 PM »

Good Job, even though most of my favorites lost in just about all the head to heads.

And your prize for conducting the campaign is this:

For he's a jolly good fellow
for he's a jolly good fellllllllloo
for he's a jolly goody fellllloooooooooooooooooo
which nobody can deny.

(excpet for people who felt NOLF was the best game of all time)
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 05:58:44 PM »

Good choice, my fellow gamers!  biggrin

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 06:36:23 PM »

I should have voted, I don't agree with the choice!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 07:13:32 PM »

If Baldur's Gate 2 is the best game ever, let alone the best RPG ever, you people have godawful tastes in RPGs.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 07:21:13 PM »

I think we need a recount.  Exit polls show XCom was the clear winner.

I call for a boycott until we can determine where the error occured. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 07:28:26 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
If Baldur's Gate 2 is the best game ever, let alone the best RPG ever, you people have godawful tastes in RPGs.

Isn't this really like the official LE endorsement?
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 08:27:02 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Perhaps from your point of view...which no one really gives a shit about anyway, mainly because you post moronic comments like this.

I'm not sure about the "Best game ever", but I would agree with "Best RPG ever."

Glycerine

Scuba-V
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 09:48:38 PM »

Yeah, coming from him that must mean it truly is the greatest game of all time.

Who reads these anyway?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 09:52:57 PM »

I thought both games up for Best Game were absolutely bore-me-to-tears freaking terrible. Just like every other RPG ever created.

You all $*@)#*! suck.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Hipolito
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2004, 10:33:09 PM »

There's no denying that Scuba's a jolly good fella for forming the bracket and conducting the bulk of the campaign.

And don't lose faith, fellow Scapeheads!  With Baldur's Gate II out of the picture, I'm sure our game will win next time.  It'll just have to beat Half-Life 2 and KOTOR II.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2004, 10:49:01 PM »

Planescape: Torment, anything by Jeff Vogel, either of the Gothics, either of the Fallouts, any of the Might and Magics excluding 9, Wizardry 8, either of the System Shocks and any of the Ultimas up to 7 are all better RPGs than Baldurs Gate 2.  Hell, the first Baldur's Gate is better.  So are both of the Icewind Dales--at least they didn't try and have melodramatic pretense aside from "go kill stuff, find phat lewt and level up."

BG2 = Monty Haul TREASUAR ARE PEE GEE that plays more like an RTS than Rise of Nations.  Which happens to actually be an RTS.  That within an hour or two of play you can get one of the best weapons by sprinting past a Lich it just utterly ridiculous from a roleplaying standpoint.  And don't even get me started on the fact that "zerg rush" tactics is the 100% best strategy in any encounter, just like a good RTS should be.  Oh, wait.  BG2's supposed to be an RPG.  My bad.

I didn't keep up with this list, but jeez.  Bad, bad choice.

EDIT:  I forgot the Ultimas past 7 sucked.  And I spelled Shock "Shokc."  So I wanted to change that.  Even though Glycerine doesn't care what I post, he does care about spelling.  I'd hate for him to call me in tears again over a typo.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 10:49:43 PM »

Well I am pleasantly surprised that BG2 won.  Both finalists were fine games, however.

BTW, Ebbie baby, to say that "all of the Ultimas" (up to 7) are better than BG2 is absurd, and I say that as a die hard Ultima fan.

Try playing Ultima 2 and get back to me...

In absolute terms, BG2 is probably the best single player CRPG yet made, although I would suggest that Gothic 2, Fallout 1, and Avernum 2 are in the running as well.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004, 11:10:10 PM »

I'm not sure my personal opinion would hold that Baldur's Gate II is the best game of all time, but since I'd probably rank it among the top five games of all time, I'm pretty satisfied.  smile

-Autistic Angel
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004, 11:47:55 PM »

Once again, I voted for the other guy.  But how did The Longest Journey not win it all?  That game has maybe the one story to beat Planescape: Torment.

It was fun to particpate, though - good job!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2004, 10:04:49 PM »

i love how heated these "best of" debates always get.  people have so much of their, i don't know, pride i guess, invested in how a game is viewed that when someone disagrees with it, it's a slap in the face.  

is this unique in any way?  not at all.  this kind of personal response is just as prevalent in many debates.  kirk vs picard, every major political contest, best nfl/mlb/nba/nhl team of all time, etc.  it's quite a feat that something so inconsequential as a game become so fiercely defended.  

i love this place  smile

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2004, 01:35:42 AM »

This has inspired me to try playing Baldur's Gate 2 yet again.  I love the Infinity Engine games, and yet in the previous two times I've played this one, I've gotten bogged down in the Underdark (not one of my favorite places) and stopped.  It's been over a year since my last attempt, and I hereby vow that THIS time there shall be no stopping me!  I shall finish the game, or die trying!   :x
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: