http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:54:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Game Ever Thread  (Read 4731 times)
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2007, 11:52:35 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on September 11, 2007, 07:10:07 AM

No doubt best of it's genre.

Can't really say which was my favorite ever, I would want to put it in genres (like someone above did).
And fact is I forgot most of the titles people have mentioned and now I get all sentimental smile
Frogstar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2007, 11:59:49 AM »

Diablo II for me.

But Warlords III:Darklords Rising is a close second.
IkeVandergraaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2007, 12:26:41 PM »

Tough, but I'm going to give the nod to the original Everquest.  No game was ever so immersive and I doubt that any other game will ever be so immersive.  Probably because it was the first, but I still remember how the Desert of Ro smelled.

Honorable mentions to Resident Evil (best ending) and Planescape: Torment (best story).

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »

After a lot of thought, I've decided that the best game ever is certainly:

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2007, 01:07:39 PM »

I can't disagree with that call either.

The free-roaming mission style was awesome. I just wish they had more than the 3 or 4 ship types.

Oh, and it being multiplayer (IE captain / gunners or fleet style) remake would be incredible.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2007, 01:17:23 PM »

My picks are:

Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis

and Star Control 2

[/URL]

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2007, 02:28:30 PM »

Tougher choice than I thought.  However...

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (PC)

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2007, 03:01:15 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on September 11, 2007, 02:28:30 PM

Tougher choice than I thought.  However...

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (PC)

Not to pick on anyone in particular.  But why do all of the games in this thread seem to be at least 5 year old titles?  Have no great games been made during that last 5 years?

For example I played both the original Ghost Recon on the PC and GRAW 2 on the 360.  To me GRAW 2 is the better game in almost every appreciable way.  better  team AI, better Maps, better multiplayer, better enemy AI, better interface, etc.

It goes without saying the graphics and animations are much better.

Is it just not cool to say a new game is the best ever?   Just curious.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2007, 03:09:49 PM »

Final Fantasy VII  The death of Aeris  bothered me to no end in this game.  I remember replaying that scene several times just attempting to save her on time.  Never even realized  til later that there was no way to save her.  Yeah, Probably the best game ever for me 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2007, 03:11:32 PM »

deno: I think people's definition of best game ever is different, therefore you get different answers.  As an example, I was very close to choosing Alpha Centauri, Lode Runner, College Hoops 2k7, and the original Wizardry.  I think it has more to do with memories and how much fun a person had playing the games mentioned than being "cool".

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2007, 03:12:02 PM »

I think in some cases it's giving credit to the original. In the case of Ghost Recon, the GRAWs are different and NOT better in my opinion and apparently many other's. I rebought and replayed the original GR on PC after getting tired of GRAW on the 360 and enjoyed the original more even in 2006. It's almost a sim vs arcade thing with GR vs GRAW. I just thought of another big difference between the two that makes a big difference to me. GR had RPG-like character development which I loved. GRAW didn't have it, I haven't played GRAW2 to see if it ever came back.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2007, 03:15:27 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 11, 2007, 03:01:15 PM

Not to pick on anyone in particular.  But why do all of the games in this thread seem to be at least 5 year old titles?  Have no great games been made during that last 5 years?

For me it's too early to tell on new releases.  When Oblivion came out I might've been tempted to put it on some top 10 lists, but now that it's been around for a while I see that it's not a game I'll be coming back to time and again over the next 10 years, as I do with many of these titles people are throwing out.

I think it also might be that there are so many games out these days that it's harder for standout titles to be as revered as they were in ye good olde days.   Company of Heroes comes to mind.  If that gameplay came out in 1994 we'd all be hailing it on this list as a timeless classic.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2007, 03:23:36 PM »

Could it be that people actually like the games they're naming?  just because they are newer doesn't mean they are better- take Deus Ex and Deus Ex Invisible War for example: the original was far superior to the sequel.  Even in the case of the new Rainbow Six games, where Vegas is a great game the PC version of Raven Shield still blows it away and the new GRAW's do not have the depth of the original Ghost Recon.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2007, 03:28:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 11, 2007, 03:23:36 PM

Could it be that people actually like the games they're naming?  just because they are newer doesn't mean they are better- take Deus Ex and Deus Ex Invisible War for example: the original was far superior to the sequel.  Even in the case of the new Rainbow Six games, where Vegas is a great game the PC version of Raven Shield still blows it away and the new GRAW's do not have the depth of the original Ghost Recon.

Certainly applies to my game- U7 Part 2.  Frankly, the only RPG that even comes close to it in terms of scope, sidequests, and immersing yourself into the environment and people is Baldur's Gate 2 which would certainly be in my Top 5 of all time.  Other RPGs have done some elements better since (especially combat which was lackluster in U7 Part 2) but nothing has topped it as a complete package IMO.

Deus Ex is definitely a great example too.  No game since has really attempted anything remotely on the same scale, especially in terms of events that gave the player's huge choices.   In fact it's kind of disheartening that that Deus Ex didn't prove to be more influential in the long run. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2007, 03:31:33 PM »

When I think Ultima 7pt2, I just go with Ultima 7 Complete (as they may as well be the same game in different worlds).

I sank 2 years of my teenage life into that world.

Oh, and no one has mentioned Xeen yet. That's another example of a stellar game. It would be in my top 50.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2007, 03:32:43 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 11, 2007, 03:31:33 PM

When I think Ultima 7pt2, I just go with Ultima 7 Complete (as they may as well be the same game in different worlds).

I sank 2 years of my teenage life into that world.

Yeah, it's a toss up for me- Black Gate would probably be my Number 2 game of all time Tongue 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »

Holy crap, Purge.  Xeen!!!!  What a game.

Just seeing this map again gave me goosebumps.

LD

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »

My buddy and I would play it (taking turns controlling, and advising what to do and where to go). We lost the containers that you fill near the end (the ones shaped like the EA logo at the time)... we had to start all over again (played a chick instead).

Lesbian love scene in Moonglow FTW.

Oh, and we found a second way into the cheat in Black Gate that doesn't involve stacking crates in the first city (remember the blacksmiths shop that had the murder? if you climb on the roof and go behind the chimney you could teleport anywhere and get all the cool items like the hoe of destruction and the ferrymans scythe).

The other way in is to buy a horse and cart, and ride it north to Brittania. Find the Gargoyle ambassadors house (southeast corner; it has a skylight and is a rectangle). Park the cart adjacent to the building on the East side where one of your horses heads is clips in the building, and then get out of the cart on the east side into a tree.

Voila!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 03:40:34 PM by Purge » Logged

unbreakable
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2007, 03:46:17 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 11, 2007, 03:35:25 PM

Oh, and we found a second way into the cheat in Black Gate that doesn't involve stacking crates in the first city (remember the blacksmiths shop that had the murder? if you climb on the roof and go behind the chimney you could teleport anywhere and get all the cool items like the hoe of destruction and the ferrymans scythe).

That, to me, was always one of the fun things about some games: figuring out something which was (in many ways) completely disruptive to the game balance.  I didn't usually look for this stuff at first playthrough, but it was always cool to exploit stuff like this during replays.

One which comes to mind (although not that extreme) was in BG1 how you can find some really good armor hidden in a field (there's like a one pixel loot area for it).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »

My buddy and I would play it (taking turns controlling, and advising what to do and where to go). We lost the containers that you fill near the end (the ones shaped like the EA logo at the time)... we had to start all over again (played a chick instead).

U7 was, I believe, the first time I encountered a game ending bug.  In the very last dungeon there was a door that was triggered to close *behind* you, locking you in.  However, earlier in the game I had been flying over that exact point in the magic carpet and that set off the trigger so that when I got to the door in the endgame it was already shut with me on the wrong side of it.  I didn't have a modem or anything in those days so Origin support had to ship me a 3.5" floppy with the fix on it. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2007, 04:29:32 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 11, 2007, 03:46:17 PM

That, to me, was always one of the fun things about some games: figuring out something which was (in many ways) completely disruptive to the game balance.  I didn't usually look for this stuff at first playthrough, but it was always cool to exploit stuff like this during replays.

One which comes to mind (although not that extreme) was in BG1 how you can find some really good armor hidden in a field (there's like a one pixel loot area for it).

I think part of the affection for older games is a result of there not being widespread online discussion/dissection of every new game like there is now.

Many times I would play a game and be completely oblivious to major game balance issues or flaws simply because I just played the game.  Instead of reading countless discussions about it in forums or on podcasts. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2007, 04:33:34 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 11, 2007, 04:19:00 PM

U7 was, I believe, the first time I encountered a game ending bug.  In the very last dungeon there was a door that was triggered to close *behind* you, locking you in.  However, earlier in the game I had been flying over that exact point in the magic carpet and that set off the trigger so that when I got to the door in the endgame it was already shut with me on the wrong side of it.  I didn't have a modem or anything in those days so Origin support had to ship me a 3.5" floppy with the fix on it. 

I'm surprised they just didn't tell you how to activate the cheat console so you could just walk through the wall.

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2007, 04:47:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 11, 2007, 04:33:34 PM

I'm surprised they just didn't tell you how to activate the cheat console so you could just walk through the wall.

That's the boring way to cheat.

BTW... I have to vote for Neuromancer.  The C64 version.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2007, 04:59:10 PM »

I love Ultima VII, but it's hard for me to give it the "best ever" nod because it has some glaring flaws. First off, it gets points docked off for being overly buggy. But even worse, it has the worst... combat.... ever... Seriously, the combat is so quick to the point of being nearly devoid of any strategy. About the only thing you could do to affect it was cast a spell or two.

I'll repeat my claim of Ultima IV. Just a completely mind blowing game when it came out. Its main quest is still pretty much unsurpassed among RPGs for being original. I also love the turn based combat of Ultimas III-V, engaging, strategic, but never too slow (for my tastes). Ultima IV rules, suckers!   icon_biggrin

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2007, 08:21:33 PM »

Baldur's Gate II

fantastic RPG gameplay, strategic battles, truly epic storyline, and some of the most memorable NPCs of any game that i've played combine to make for what i believe is the best RPG of all time...and a gaming experience that i don't think has been equalled since.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2007, 01:20:31 AM »

Not the best game ever made, but probably my favorite:

Full Throttle

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2007, 01:30:47 AM »

Zelda:OoT

Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2007, 03:29:20 AM »

Fallout

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2007, 03:31:19 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on September 11, 2007, 04:47:08 PM

he could have used it just to get through the closed wall at the one point.  IIRC the menu was fairly useless otherwise.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2007, 03:37:19 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 12, 2007, 03:31:19 AM

he could have used it just to get through the closed wall at the one point.  IIRC the menu was fairly useless otherwise.

Ah, the pre-internet days when I knew nothing of cheat codes and the like.  I was at Origin's tech support mercy. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2007, 12:53:54 PM »

I wasn't trying to get through a wall; I was getting to the uber-command centre where you could teleport anywhere, follow the storyline, get all the items, etc.

This was put in specifically.

Oh, and Magic Carpet FTW. (the item ingame, not the game itself)... but Magic Carpet WAS good.. so was Syndicate. it's ending sucked though. Ooo, and Theme Hospital.

DAMNIT EA!!

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »

there was ocarina of time,where i just went fishing for hours on end,and a link to the past is on par with that game

however,i think my greatest title goes to the title that introduced me to RPGs with turn based fights

final fantasy VII...for playstation 1

and just if you wanted to know
best online game is

star wars:battlefront...for xbox 180

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2007, 02:42:01 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 12, 2007, 12:53:54 PM

I wasn't trying to get through a wall; I was getting to the uber-command centre where you could teleport anywhere, follow the storyline, get all the items, etc.

This was put in specifically.

Oh, and Magic Carpet FTW. (the item ingame, not the game itself)... but Magic Carpet WAS good.. so was Syndicate. it's ending sucked though. Ooo, and Theme Hospital.

DAMNIT EA!!

don't forget Dungeon Keeper.

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2007, 03:02:09 PM »

Bullfrog  crybaby

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2007, 03:14:27 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on September 12, 2007, 03:02:09 PM

Bullfrog  crybaby

Aye.  I went with Privateer for my Best Game vote, but Syndicate was definitely one of my finalists.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2007, 03:27:05 PM »

Bullfrog  crybaby

yeah,... back when peter m really was clever...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
unbreakable
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2007, 05:13:40 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 12, 2007, 03:14:27 PM

Bullfrog  crybaby

Aye.  I went with Privateer for my Best Game vote, but Syndicate was definitely one of my finalists.

Syndicate is definitely a series which needs to be revived.  I keep saying... Sci-Fi games get the shaft all the time...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2007, 07:55:14 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 12, 2007, 03:27:05 PM

Bullfrog  crybaby

yeah,... back when peter m really was clever...

you mean when he knew how to keep his mouth shut?

Because I can,
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2007, 01:39:11 AM »

I was a freshmen in college and I would drive home certain weekends, and miss the parties etc all so I could play "Bard's Tale" with my older brother.  He has passed on now, and to me the memories of us playing that awesome game together are priceless.  So for me, its without a doubt BARDS TALE
warning

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2007, 02:40:10 AM »

Quote from: TC Weidner on September 13, 2007, 01:39:11 AM

I was a freshmen in college and I would drive home certain weekends, and miss the parties etc all so I could play "Bard's Tale" with my older brother.  He has passed on now, and to me the memories of us playing that awesome game together are priceless.  So for me, its without a doubt BARDS TALE

Ooh great choice.  I loved Bard's Tale.  I spent way too much time in college playing that instead of studying Psych.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: