http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 12:38:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best fitness game?  (Read 619 times)
Chaz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »

Amazon's deal of the day today is all three versions of EA Sports Active 2 or NFL Training Camp for $49 each.  I've got a Kinect on order, so there's also the possibility of getting Your Shape: Fitness Evolved.

If I was to get one of these, which should I get, and for which system? Bill Harris is raving over the NFL game.  I've heard the Kinect tracking for Active on 360 isn't awesome, but the PS3 and Wii versions are supposed to be good.  I guess of those two I'd lean toward the PS3 since you don't have to hold a Wiimote, but I'm not necessarily opposed to that for NFL.

Thoughts?

sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 04:45:40 PM »

I have EA Active for the Wii.  the Wiimote is only used for a few activities.  most of the time I leave it on the couch and hit the "A" button while the load screen is up to avoid the "lost communication" message.

I assume, but don't know, that the PS3 version would be similar in making sure the communications stay on between the bands and the receiver.

I am waiting for an NFL version without the bands since I really don't want to have two sets laying around.

FWIW, I have been using it sin e Christmas and am doing the card kickstart. 
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »

I've posted my thoughts on EA Sports Active 2 for the PS3 here, if you like.

Quote from: sgoldj on January 10, 2011, 04:45:40 PM

I have EA Active for the Wii.  the Wiimote is only used for a few activities.  most of the time I leave it on the couch and hit the "A" button while the load screen is up to avoid the "lost communication" message.

I assume, but don't know, that the PS3 version would be similar in making sure the communications stay on between the bands and the receiver.

The PS3 controller does not time out from inactivity the way the Wiimote does.  It maintains communication while left untouched through full 30-minute workouts.  Some people originally reported problems with the wireless sensors losing communication, or the heart rate monitor failing to register your pulse properly, but I haven't had a single problem in over 2-weeks of daily use.

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »

Diablo 2.

Your click finger will be PUMPED!

In all seriousness, I'm thinking of getting your fitness evolved.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 07:03:56 PM »

I'm kind of leaning toward grabbing Active for the PS3 now, and then looking for a slightly cheaper deal on Your Shape in a while.  The thing's going for $35 now, so I suspect it'll be in the $20-25 range soon.

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:33:35 PM »

I'm using EA sports active for the Kinect right now and have Your Shape Evolved as well.  They go about things in different ways.  Your Shape workouts do not evolve over time, they remain the same series of exercises each time and that can be a drag since you lose the daily progress tracking when you change to another workout.  EA SA2 (caveat I've only had 3 workouts with it so far) seems to mix it up a bit and has a calender that tracks your workouts, I'm on a 3 week program at the moment and each workout has added something different to the mix.  If I want to add time to my workouts, Your Shape is better at finding 4-6 minute workouts to tack onto what you've already done, I've yet to find that in EA SA2 but I may be missing something (I think I could make  up my own workout in EA SA2 but have yet to try it).

The Zen classes in Your Shape are my favorite things for either game, it is different and fun to try and master the moves. 

A big difference in the games is the in Your shape the trainer continues to do the exercises even if you are out of rhythm or not following along correctly, in EA SA2 the game waits for you to finish the rep before moving on, for example when doing pushups the game wait for you to do all of them before moving on.  I don't know which I prefer, they are just different.  EA SA2 incorporates warmup and tone down activities in the workout and I like that.  Stat tracking in EA SA 2 is better.

I have to run to a Dr. appointment right now so can't get into more detail but if I had to chose one with EA SA2 at $47.99 and Your Shape at $35  hmmmmm hard choice but I'd go with Your Shape.  Tracking in the EA game is spotty but not as bad as I feared after reading reviews on Amazon.  Glad I only paid the $47.99 for it though, not worth the $100 initial price or the $60 current non-sale price.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

Man, there's supposedly another patch coming out for the 360 version of Active that will further fix the tracking issues that were improved in the already-released patch.  Now I'm really torn.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 01:40:19 AM »

I decided to go with popular opinion and ordered the PS3 version of Active 2.  I didn't want to get the 360 one and gamble that the patches would fix the tracking, and holding a Wiimote wasn't terribly appealing.  I still might get Your Shape if it gets cheaper, and wait to see what they do with the next version of it.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »

So I just picked up a Kinect on a whim this week and was looking over the options for fitness games as well.  Does anybody have updated impressions after spending time with the ones available for 360 (Your Shape, EA Active 2 or even Biggest Loser)? 

Did EA ever release an update to fix some of the tracking issues with Active 2?

I see that Your Shape has several DLC packs for different workouts, did that fix the problem with a lack of variety?

It looks like EA Active 2 has dropped to a retail price of $40, and Your Shape is still $50, for what it is worth.  That isn't a big enough price difference to influence my opinion if there is an obviously better one.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 12, 2011, 04:37:00 PM

So I just picked up a Kinect on a whim this week and was looking over the options for fitness games as well.  Does anybody have updated impressions after spending time with the ones available for 360 (Your Shape, EA Active 2 or even Biggest Loser)?  

Did EA ever release an update to fix some of the tracking issues with Active 2?

I see that Your Shape has several DLC packs for different workouts, did that fix the problem with a lack of variety?

It looks like EA Active 2 has dropped to a retail price of $40, and Your Shape is still $50, for what it is worth.  That isn't a big enough price difference to influence my opinion if there is an obviously better one.

TRU had EA Active 2 for $20 (unadvertised) not very long ago.  I'm not sure when that deal was over, so you may want to ask them to scan the price (the guys working there didn't even know about the price drop).  I picked it up for the PS3, and it's my favorite of the workout games I've played.  Your Shape would probably win if the tracking wasn't so damned frustrating (that may be an issue with the just right size of my living room, though).  EA Active 2 on PS3 has the best tracking I've ever seen for one of these games, and I've tried a lot of them.  It's still not perfect, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:30:01 PM »

I've been using Active 2 on the PS3 for the last two months.  I plan on using it regularly for the foreseeable future, but be aware that it's definitely a flawed program.  Progression using the 9 week program isn't smooth at all.  It focuses almost entirely on the lower body for the duration, even on "upper body" days.  It likes to suddenly have you do lots of reps of very difficult exercises without working you up to them.  For example, it went for about three weeks without having me do a single push up, then suddenly asked me to do two sets of 15 in one workout.  Here in week 8, I'm finding that the workouts regularly push into "frustrating" territory, especially the final workout of the week, which is designed to be harder than the rest.

That said, it certainly can be a good tool.  Hell, I've been using it daily for the past month, and I'm lighter and in better shape than I can remember being in at least five years, so that's something.  You can also get around a lot of the problems of the program workouts by creating and saving your own custom workouts.  I set up a tricep/upper body focused workout that I've been using on my rest days from the program workouts, and those days are generally much more satisfying, since they're challenging without being frustrating.  When my program is done in a week, I'll be setting up a custom workout for each day of the week, and just using those.

You should also be aware that the heart rate monitor really doesn't do anything besides display your heart rate on the screen.  The game tracks it on a graph, but otherwise ignores it.  There's no way to have the game adjust the workout to keep you in a particular zone.  I found that when I started using the game, as an out of shape slob and using the medium difficulty, my heart rate was almost always in the 80-95% zone when doing program/cardio workouts, but now stays in the 70-80% zone pretty comfortably.

If you have any other questions about it, let me know. 

tl;dr: It's definitely flawed, but not unredeemable, and I don't regret having bought it for $40.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: