http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 03:53:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best dungeon(s) in a PC game  (Read 4107 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2008, 01:57:41 AM »

RoTH= amazing game.  Very underrated.  Here is a DOSBOX set up that works perfectly for me.  I'm hours into the game, and I'm loving every minute of it.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2008, 02:03:51 AM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on May 20, 2008, 09:58:49 PM

Quote from: DArtagnan on May 20, 2008, 05:36:52 AM

Maybe it's because I'm overly fond of riddles and puzzles, fiendish traps, non-linearity, and strong variation in level design, but to me that's what dungeons should be all about.

Otherwise, it's just a first person shooter with sword and spell, instead of assault rifles.

You hit the nail on the head.  I couldn't agree more.  Many rpgs are slightly more complicated versions of those Starcraft missions where you only have a few guys to run through a maze.  Kill, heal, kill, heal, etc.  I love the UW dungeons and some of the Infinity Engine (BG, IW, etc.) because many of the dungeons had their own stories and plenty of traps, puzzles, etc.

+1

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2008, 05:31:17 AM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on May 22, 2008, 01:57:41 AM

RoTH= amazing game.  Very underrated.  Here is a DOSBOX set up that works perfectly for me.  I'm hours into the game, and I'm loving every minute of it.

This your first time with it?

If so, can I congratulate myself for making someone happy based on my recommendation?  ninja
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2008, 03:31:39 PM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on May 22, 2008, 01:57:41 AM

It's one of the few games where the FMV segments actually add to the story and atmosphere.
In fact, I can't think of any other games at the moment that do it this well...
Not bad at all for a 1996 game!

Oh, and prepare yourself.
This is back when they made LONG games.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 03:33:47 PM by Giles Habibula » Logged
Skylark
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »

Everquest!

(I'm just reminiscing here, not suggesting you go play the original Everquest or anything...)

Maybe it's because it's the only game (only thing really) I remember between 1999 and 2002, but I have fond memories of almost every dungeon in the game (especially the ones that were many levels above my own - I was one of those crazy people who sprinted through dungeons as shortcuts to get to places and laughed as people shouted TRAAAAAAAIN!    ninja2  ).

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2008, 03:44:56 PM »

Thought of another old one to nominate: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Skylark
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2008, 12:40:15 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 23, 2008, 03:44:56 PM

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Good one! I concur.

D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on May 18, 2008, 02:54:03 PM

Dungeons are actually my least favorite part of RPGs these days. They just don't make any sense.

That exactly how I feel, they make no sense at all and for me take away from the immersion.

With that said the best and the worst were in the same series.

Daggerfall was the worst huge unnatural dungeon with a horrendous 3D automap
and the best was for the most part Morrowind - most of the dungeons were small caves but the sameness of all those caves took away from the immersion

However, the one I remember most was Arx Fatalis - while the dungeons were the typical long and and curvy passages. The ambient audio of the opening dungeion was the absolute creepiest and best of all time.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2008, 06:04:41 PM »

Morrowind is one of the most overrated games since Black and White.

Personally, for dungeons, I would say I liked just about all of the BG2 areas except the first dungeon. The BG2 expansion dungeon Watcher's Keep was probably the best in the series. Or maybe that one dragon's lair where you find a young adventuring party and you give them a quest to find some rope or something for you. They come back and try to kill you and your party and you of course slaughter them. So they reload and give you the rope.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: