http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 08:47:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Controller Ever? Also: Gesture Based Gaming. What's its Impact?  (Read 3004 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2007, 09:31:38 PM »

Boys at 1up were talking about the future of gaming and whether the Wii's initial success will result in changes for Sony and MS in their consoles with regard to control schemes, whether current gen or future tech.

There was harping about how gesture based gaming and if the industry goes overboard with its adoption how it may alienate the hardcore audience who don't want to do everything by gesturing even as it may hook new gamers to the hobby. 

That got me to thinking about which controller I prefer the most and it's a very tight race between the Dualshock and the 360 controller.

The dualshock was a revolutionary design, IMO, and the 360 controller has improved upon it (better placement of the sticks, better placement of the back/start button combo) and in many ways bested it (wireless capability, microphone jack, interface with the console from the controller).

So at this stage, I'd have to say the 360 controller.

I have briefly played the Wii and very much enjoyed the experience. However, I don't ever see the Wiimote replacing my gamepad/analog stick combo, well, ever.

I'm intersted in what folks who have both the 360 and the PS3 have to say about both.  Also, I wonder how many people will say Wavebird or the Dreamcast controller...

Final note: I think the 360 controller should become the standard for all MS platforms moving forward. If they feel the must include motion sensitivity, it should be on the same exact form factor.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 09:33:10 PM »

Mouse Keyboard.  slywink
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 10:20:34 PM »

Im not sure who the DualShock controller was designed for, but it certaintly wasn't me. I really hate how small it is and its hard for me to rest my fingers comfortably on the shoulder buttons. I much prefer the 360 controller over the Dualshock.

Leaving aside the waggle debate for a moment, I think the best innovation with the Wii Remote is that the controller is separated into two pieces. I'd be happy with the Wii Remote with no motion sensors at all. Playing Zelda and being able to use my recliner's armrests was a very comfortable way to play for several hours at a stretch.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 10:25:44 PM »

I hate the analog stick placement on the playstation controller. They place both of my thumbs into a rather unnatural position, an after about 45 minutes I need to put the controller down. As it stands today, I think the Xbox 360 controller is the most comfortable on the market.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 10:48:32 PM »

360 controller, hands down.

And the dreamcast controller sucked.  It made you hold your wrists at an uncomfortable position, and the cord came out of the wrong end.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 10:51:01 PM »

Of the pre-Wii style controllers, the top 3, in order:
1. 360 Controller
2. 6-button Genesis controller
3. NES Max
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 12:56:38 AM »

The 360 controller, hands down.

And I am still not convinced at all the Wii controller is the wave of the future.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 01:04:48 AM »

The 360 controller is the best.  thumbsup

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 01:08:33 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 19, 2007, 12:56:38 AM

And I am still not convinced at all the Wii controller is the wave of the future.

Of course you're still not convinced; you have yet to play with one.  But I digress...

I really dig the Xbox 360 controller.

Or seriously, I liked the SNES controller a lot.  It did a lot of things really well (anything from Street Fighter to NHL '94 - NEVER had an issue with that puppy).

TheMissingLink on PSN
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 01:28:28 AM »

Xbox 360 controller the dualshock feels to small and flimsy now.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 02:07:42 AM »

XBox 360 controller is my favorite. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 02:31:31 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on January 18, 2007, 10:48:32 PM

And the dreamcast controller sucked.  It made you hold your wrists at an uncomfortable position, and the cord came out of the wrong end.

God... that controller was truly terrible.  I hated it.

It depends on the game for me, but it's a toss up between the 360 controller and the dual shock.  I can play the dual shock a bit longer due to my tiny azn hands, but that's really the only preference difference.  The 360 controller is a HUGE step up from the original xbox controller, thats for sure.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 05:16:56 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 19, 2007, 01:08:33 AM

Quote from: Calvin on January 19, 2007, 12:56:38 AM

Of course you're still not convinced; you have yet to play with one.  But I digress...

I really dig the Xbox 360 controller.

Or seriously, I liked the SNES controller a lot.  It did a lot of things really well (anything from Street Fighter to NHL '94 - NEVER had an issue with that puppy).

Ok, is there some part of I have played the Wii before that you just do not understand TML? In fact, I have played it not fewer than three times at a demo kiosk, and you know of at least two of those as I have told you about them over live. So yeah, I have played with one.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 05:25:58 AM »

No contest.  The Epyx 500XJ.  We didn't need all those buttons back then.  We needed something solid, fast and accurate.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 05:40:42 AM »

360 for 80% of games Dual Shock for 20%.  The 20% for me includes Tony Hawk games and any game that requires use of the d-pad.  Everything else I'd rather play on the 360 controller.

unbreakable
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 06:27:23 AM »

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 06:30:53 AM »

360 controller

triggers,mean more comfortable for your index fingers...analogue stick placements(think nintendo got there first with that part though...not sure,maybe xbox 1).

but to note i also preferred xbox 1 small controller over the duelshock(not the first xbox 1 controller though)..again it was the triggers and analogue sticks on that

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 06:41:48 AM »

As bad as the X360 is built, the controller is second to none. XBOX 360 controller FTW.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 01:01:20 PM »

I'm gonna have to go this route for pre-Wii controllers:

1) Dual Shock (yeah, the d-pad stinks, but it's far better than the crap that is the 360 d-pad - and I prefer the analog placement more)
2) ASCII SNES controller (exact clone of the SNES controller (which also rocked) but had autofire settings on each button)
3) NES Max (crazy design that just worked so damn well for every NES game)

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 01:27:37 PM »

I've yet to have a comfort issue with the 360 controller.  I think I remember some pain with the Dual Shock but that was probably more due to long Tekken Vs sessions where the buttons start to cut the fingers.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 01:47:42 PM »

thumbsup
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 03:15:56 PM »

Quote from: Austin on January 18, 2007, 09:33:10 PM

Mouse Keyboard.  slywink

I disagree; it's more sensitive but it isn't a better control scheme. It's just what you got used to and have been using for years.

If they could come up with a controller that read as sensistive but didn't require a 2d surface then the control would be even better.

Also, keyboards bite. you don't hold A down harder to run, plain and simple. You then need to augment with another char for running, or double-tapping etc.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 03:34:47 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on January 19, 2007, 05:25:58 AM

No contest.  The Epyx 500XJ.  We didn't need all those buttons back then.  We needed something solid, fast and accurate.

+1.  I loved that joystick.  I even switched it over to my 2600 when I still played games on it.

I really like the 360 controller, but I've never had problems with the PS2 controller. Of course I use the Logitech wireless PS2 controller most of the time so that may make a difference.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 03:36:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 19, 2007, 03:34:47 PM

I really like the 360 controller, but I've never had problems with the PS2 controller. Of course I use the Logitech wireless PS2 controller most of the time so that may make a difference.

Do you use AA batteries in that controller or does it have a charge pack? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 03:42:37 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 19, 2007, 03:36:14 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 19, 2007, 03:34:47 PM

Do you use AA batteries in that controller or does it have a charge pack? 

360 I use the charge pack, PS2  wireless just AA's.  So far I have about 60 hours of gameplay on the same batteries but I'm sure I'll have to switch them out soon.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 08:34:27 PM »

360 controller is easily the best controller i've ever used...nothing else even comes close for the level of functionality and comfort.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 08:49:20 PM »

I pretty much consider the Wavebird to be my favorite controller ever.  I haven't had a chance to try the new Wii-Mote stuff but I hear it's a lot of fun to play. 

As far as the motion-driven control scheme - I think it's something that may catch on.  We might see Sony and Microsoft adopting some sort of controllers that do the same things that the Wii-Motes do.  I do agree that the regular controllers will not die though.  Sometimes I wish that the Wii had an option to play all the games with a regular controller like the Wavebird, as I personally may find that I don't want the motion-sensing thing all the time and would rather play more traditionally. 

weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2007, 10:56:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 18, 2007, 09:31:38 PM

I have briefly played the Wii and very much enjoyed the experience. However, I don't ever see the Wiimote replacing my gamepad/analog stick combo, well, ever.

also depends on how you play the wii, did you play it briefly with wii sports or a game like zelda?  Cause I feel it's very comfortable in Zelda, as well as add more challenge with button/movement combinations.  Though I do feel it's definitely different, I can see it being a big turn on how future controllers with be like.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 08:28:15 AM »

I blame the lack of innovation in the PS3 controller on all those people who complained about the boomerang controller... without ever holding one in their hands.  The boomerang looked odd, yes, but so did many ergonomic things that we now take for granted.  I recall how people went on about the 360 S controller being odd with the offset analogue sticks, now people prefer it.  Natural keyboards seemed just funky to those ingrained with straight keyboards, and some still find it funky, but my wrists are thanking me for the switch.

Heck, even if they weren't planning on going with the boomering controller, all the backlash against trying something new prompted them to cram all these features into the aging dual shock design.  The dual shock, while great for its time, was based on the already cramped PS1 controller.  I think Sony should do what MS did and release a second PS3 controller with more modern ergonomics in mind.

As for the Wiimote, I think there were some things it could have done better, like maybe an analog stick on the main remote, but with the system's focus on casual gamers that might not be the best.
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 11:33:21 AM »

Nothing beats mouse and keyboard in utility.  Wiimote is trying to emulate that, but falls just short.  I think the best controllers are yet to come...

But I am impressed by the XBox360 controller.  The thing is designed well, really sturdy, and just really well built.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2007, 01:26:38 PM »

360 Controller for me.

Although I can see the validity of the Wii Controller, I wouldnt want to play dead or alive with it.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2007, 03:18:17 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 19, 2007, 01:47:42 PM

thumbsup

A friend of mine had one of those. The turbo feature basically made everything unfair.  It was, however, the only way to do well in track n field.

You could pound the buttons on the standard controller and get your guy going up to a jog, or you could use turbo and have him fly down the track.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2007, 03:44:57 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 22, 2007, 03:18:17 PM

A friend of mine had one of those. The turbo feature basically made everything unfair.  It was, however, the only way to do well in track n field.

You could pound the buttons on the standard controller and get your guy going up to a jog, or you could use turbo and have him fly down the track.

I remember buying one of those and then firing up 'Gunsmoke' over at a friends house to try it out.  It was like your six shooters had become machine guns  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2007, 04:23:47 PM »

I wish the 360 controller had a blackberry keyboard that can be attached to where the headset plugs in, and then has a spot for the headset to piggy-back on it.

That would be so freakin' awesome. Otherwise, 360 controller is the best.

And I love gesture-controlled games.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 05:18:04 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2007, 04:45:51 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 22, 2007, 03:44:57 PM

Quote from: ATB on January 22, 2007, 03:18:17 PM

I remember buying one of those and then firing up 'Gunsmoke' over at a friends house to try it out.  It was like your six shooters had become machine guns  icon_twisted

Gunsmoke was a great game. My friend and got to the final boss the first time we played it on the day I bought it.

I didn't want to run through my 50.00 expenditure in one day so I hit the reset button.

Never got back that far in the game.
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2007, 08:43:01 PM »

The 360 controller is the best ever.

The Intellevision controller is the worst ever.

omgz
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 08:51:43 PM »

My vote goes to the Wii controller. Besides the innovative motion sensing, it is amazingly comfortable.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 08:54:35 PM »

I would have to say the 360 Controller.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 08:59:36 PM »

Best controller, ever.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 09:21:15 PM »

Quote from: Rubyeye on January 22, 2007, 08:43:01 PM

The 360 controller is the best ever.

The Intellevision controller is the worst ever.

Intellivision RULES!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: