http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 05:20:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Buy Planning Dedicated Games Department  (Read 990 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:41:34 AM »

just saw this article on Gamasutra that Best Buy is getting ready to show more dedication to game sales with dedicated clerks (I guess that means no more random 'you're on games today' personnel) and a gaming desk.  essentially it sounds like they are trying to replicate a Gamestop right on the sales floor.

it's been forever since I've been in a Best Buy, but I kinda liked the whole idea that you didn't have to worry about a clerk pestering you while you browsed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:59:50 AM »

Then you were frequenting different Best Buys than I was.  I had days where I was in the store for 30 minutes and had three people wanting to assist me and every one of them making damn sure I knew that they didn't work on commission. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:07:47 AM »

Hopefully this will go over better than their dedicated music instrument department.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:12:59 AM »

Yeah, the last time I went in to Best Buy I walked directly back to their games section to grab the game I wanted and had 3 different people ask me if I needed help on the way there.  And yet if you ever have a real question there is magically nobody around to answer it.  I hate that crap.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:06:01 AM »

I still won't shop there!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:29:48 AM »

I hope they get some of the cute Best Buy boys to slavishly pander to my every whim.   Fabulous
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 06:27:21 AM »

cool, but i'll continue to ignore them since amazon basically gives me a 30% discount on games with 99 cent release day shipping.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:17:04 AM »

No matter what Best Buy does, Amazon FTW.
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »

ok.. if they next gen of consoles really ends up being primarily download based, this seems like a really stupid investment for Best Buy to make.

Also, the idea of them hiring "gaming experts" to staff the place just makes me think it'll smell like a Magic TCG tournament.

Also: Amazon.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 01:00:03 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 19, 2011, 02:06:01 AM

I still won't shop there!

This.

With Amazon in the picture, I have no damn reason to step foot in one of BB's stores.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:02:12 AM »

I read an article not long ago about how Best Buy was completely changing their approach to everything.  Their sales have been struggling and apparently focus group studies they did indicated customers wanted more dedicated staff, among other things.  And I'm sure BB will still try and push extended warranties and the like, as everyone else does anymore.

But I haven't been to the nearest one in quite a while.  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:08:33 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 05:15:23 PM »

I like my local Best Buy, and it's where I start if I'm looking for games/ gear on short notice.  I used to shop exclusively at EB/ Gamestop... but then Chaz left!   crybaby

I'm convinced that most of these stores are great or not-so-great, based almost entirely on their personnel and related issues like hiring practices or pay.  The only thing I worry about is if they put that one, particular, over-the-top, gaming uber-geek on patrol in the new games area.  I can see him now, cruising the newb waters like a shark in a swimming pool full of kids.  Then I can see him spotting me and pouncing, tired of the casual gamers and moving on to bigger prey.  What gave me away, the Zelda hoodie?

I'm sure it will all work out... right now I have to go check the mail, though - I'm expecting an Amazon shipment.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 05:48:55 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on April 25, 2011, 05:15:23 PM

I like my local Best Buy, and it's where I start if I'm looking for games/ gear on short notice.  I used to shop exclusively at EB/ Gamestop... but then Chaz left!   crybaby

Aw... I figured everyone had forgotten me by now.  slywink   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: