http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 02:37:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlezone PSP?!  (Read 758 times)
Jarrodhk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2006, 08:51:05 PM »

Okay... that may just be my most anticipated title for the psp... then again all I've seen so far are a few screenshots  :lol:

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 09:03:30 PM »

That was fast...I just posted them! smile  It's not bad looking and it would seem there are internal and external views.  Honestly I imagine something like Armored Core when I see these screenshots (and that isn't bad).

With this and D&D: Tactics announced, I am one happy PSP gamer.  Though my DS does get some play time with Yu-Gi-Oh and Tales of Phantasia.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 09:47:52 PM »

This is just an update of the old vector graphics arcade game from the mid-80s right? What is there to be excited about?

I'm not trying to sound snarky; I'm just not understanding the excitement.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 10:51:23 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
This is just an update of the old vector graphics arcade game from the mid-80s right? What is there to be excited about?

I'm not trying to sound snarky; I'm just not understanding the excitement.

Did you ever play Battlezone or Battlezone 2 for the PC?

http://www.planetbattlezone.com/

The game was absolutely awesome (IMHO) in that it was an RTS that you controlled like a FPS.  It worked!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 11:27:45 PM »

Huh. Never even heard of them. Looking at that site, seems as if Battlezone may be one of the very few (only?) first-wave arcade franchises that's been able to transition into modern gameplay.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 12:47:18 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

Huh. Never even heard of them. Looking at that site, seems as if Battlezone may be one of the very few (only?) first-wave arcade franchises that's been able to transition into modern gameplay.

Pretty much.  The cool thing was that it has some gameplay elements that were in a lot of the staples of the current-gen titles but this was 5-6 or more years ago.  For instance, in Battlezone 2 you could build a base by selecting buildings and vehicles from a C&C-like interface on the side of your hud. (if memory serves) You could then get out of your vehicle and get into any other vehicle and pilot it.  You could snipe an enemy pilot and steal their vehicle if you were a stellar shot.  This sort of 'go anywhere and pilot anything' sounds not unlike Mercinaries, Grand Theft Auto, and Tribes, does it not?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 03:34:54 AM »

PC Battlezone absolutely rocked.  I hope this game comes close.  I'm a little worried about the controls, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 05:49:08 AM »

Has anyone even confirmed that this is an update/port of the PC Battlezone title?  Everything I've read suggests it's a remake of the 80s arcade vector graphics affair, not the cool, late 90s PC game.

Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR) today announced the development of BattleZone for the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system, a modern update to the 1980 classic arcade game. BattleZone immerses players in an interactive world with relentless onslaughts of quick, action-oriented battles.

http://www.gamebrink.com/press/23-ATARI_ANNOUNCES_BATTLEZONE_FOR_PSP_SYSTEM.html
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 04:34:34 PM »

The first PC Battlezone was a very cool overlooked title. Didn't care for the 2nd one that much.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 05:31:17 PM »

The second one made the control and command of other units much better. smile  Both were very good games though.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 06:38:03 PM »

Quote from: "Luke"
Has anyone even confirmed that this is an update/port of the PC Battlezone title?  Everything I've read suggests it's a remake of the 80s arcade vector graphics affair, not the cool, late 90s PC game.

Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR) today announced the development of BattleZone for the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system, a modern update to the 1980 classic arcade game. BattleZone immerses players in an interactive world with relentless onslaughts of quick, action-oriented battles.

http://www.gamebrink.com/press/23-ATARI_ANNOUNCES_BATTLEZONE_FOR_PSP_SYSTEM.html

Honestly I'm just as excited about a remake of the arcade game as the PC game.  I remember playing the arcade game back in the 80's.  Nostalgia if nothing else  Tongue

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: