http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:54:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlestations: Midway  (Read 7146 times)
JuniorDan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2007, 03:02:18 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on January 30, 2007, 05:15:45 AM

I like it.  I think I'll pick it up at the earliest opportunity; I'm managing to have some fun with the demo, despite the fact that it seems to be populated with the usual Live wackos.  I'd love to try it out with some GTers.

Let make it a night on Wed. How about 10pm est. is that good for you or anyone else getting the game?

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2007, 03:35:07 PM »

I would be willing to give a shot with multiplayer 10pm Wednesday night.  I have no clue how to play because I could not figure out the demo.  So I will ask alot of questions and need a lot of tender loving care.  I'm in if you don't mind considering this learning and fun!

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2007, 03:37:36 PM »

I'd like to get in Wed night as well if I can find the game by then.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2007, 03:48:38 PM »

I think I'll be passing on this one.  If Vanguard clicks with me the way I think it will that will consume most of my online time in between catching up on my backlog.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2007, 05:44:09 PM »

Damn it...I STILL can't get into a game on Gamespy.  Keep getting "No server found".  I can't complete this review before the shelf date if that keeps happening...I have to wonder if my build is incompatable - I'm supposed to be getting a final boxed review version any day now.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2007, 05:57:05 PM »

I'm up for a wed night game.   And for those of you who haven't figured out the controls yet maybe this will help.  These are the controls for the 360 the best that I have them figured out

Start by selecting you slot. depending on the position you choose you will be able to control different units.  If you move the cursor to the anchor or airfield you will see your units. after you get in the game you first need to launch whatever units.  Using the shipyard as an example you press RB.  Down on the D-pad to position the class and right or left on the d-pad to change the class.  When you have the unit you want ready just press A then RB to exit that screen.  The best way that I have figured out to control units is by using the map.  Press back and a tactical map will appear on the screen.  From here you will be able to switch units, put units into formations, and order units to move.  If you some reason you want to zoom in on the map you can do so by using the right and left triggers.

To move units use the right joystick to move the indicator and press A where you want them to move.  You may also select targets to attack or set movement way points.  Formations are a bit tricky to explain.  From the map select the second unit and press A on the lead unit.  You will notice the orders change to follow.  After you have done this select the primary unit and press X for the orders screen.  You will notice that you have the option to press down on the D-pad to select formation.  If you do that a mini map will appear and you can select where you want the "following" unit to be.

To attack units all depends on your positioning.  If you are broad side to your target you will be able to fire all guns.  If you are head on you will only be able to fire forward weapons.  Left trigger will cycle through your available weapon.  Destroyers have depth charges, AA, Artillery, and Tropedos.  Your weapon loads will depend on the class of ship.  When you are in a fire fight and taking damage LB will allow you to allocate men to repairs.  yellow light isn't that bad, red light mens you need to fix it or the ship will sink.

If you aren't using the map to move you are just along for the ride with the unit.  You can alter speed and direction using the joysticks.

Talking about planes

Planes are launched in the same manner.  You can give planes to ships to protect that ship by moving the cursor over the ship you want and pressing A.  That gives control of the plane to whoever has control of the ship.  Movement is the same as well as cycling the weapon systems.  Just realize that you need to dive for a dive bomber and come in low with torpedo planes.

If this doesn't make sense just let me know.  As you can tell I have the controls pretty much on lockdown and am willing to help people figure it out.  just message me and we could possibly run a demo session tonight.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 11:57:02 PM by papasmurff » Logged

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2007, 08:27:26 PM »

Question to the people who don't like the graphics: did you go into the menus and turn off bloom?  That was the absolute first thing I did, and I have to say, I like the graphics (not that it's GoW or anything, but it's pretty and functional).

Tactical map?   icon_eek    I knew I must have been missing something.  I had been controlling a carrier, and just finding a safer spot as I launched my wings, then letting my fighters cover the area while I took bomber flights on their runs.  This'll make things easier.

Since it's 'shipping' today, I'm hoping to find a copy after work (doubt it, though).  I may not get out tomorrow, so we'll see when I manage to snag a copy.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »

A couple of other things I noticed while playing.

- You can give units to teamates by selecting them on the map and pressing in on the left stick.  This brings up a menu of teammates who you can give the unit to.

-From the aircraft launch menu you can jump directly to a specific squadran by selecting their icon and clicking in on the right stick.  This is very helpful if, for example, you want to jump right to the Yorktown's Dive Bombers quickly.   

I am looking forward to this game.  Although I fully expect the single player to be lame. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2007, 11:10:05 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 30, 2007, 05:44:09 PM

Damn it...I STILL can't get into a game on Gamespy.  Keep getting "No server found".  I can't complete this review before the shelf date if that keeps happening...I have to wonder if my build is incompatable - I'm supposed to be getting a final boxed review version any day now.

Your not the only I got so frustrated with that pc demo I just uninstalled it and called it a day.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2007, 11:41:39 PM »

Only way I would consider this is if the SP is really good. Finding MP absolutely no fun anymore.  A SP demo on XBL would be handy.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2007, 03:27:36 AM »

Played a bunch more tonight.  I seem to do alright with aircraft; I can keep an aircraft carrier relatively safe, while keeping fighters in the air and running bombing missions.  I suck at dive-bombing compared to the AI, though, and I can never tell if I hit someone properly with the torpedo bomber (I see a plume of whitewater splash up generally, but I have very little idea of if it's sinking ships; dive bombers have much more gratifying instant effects).

I'm still awful at controlling ships.  I can swat flies with the AA Flak, but I have little idea how to manage firing artillery and torps from the destroyers.  We probably ought to have a practice gunnery session when we get set up with the retail version so those of us that can't master it in combat can 'get it'.  I'm not even going to start trying to figure out a sub until I get the retail.

I'm hoping that I can master the trickier stuff in SP before jumping back online.

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2007, 03:38:39 AM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on January 31, 2007, 03:27:36 AM

I can never tell if I hit someone properly with the torpedo bomber (I see a plume of whitewater splash up generally

As with any target it shows you their health in the upper left hand corner.  so after you hit it you should see the decline on their health

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007, 03:42:45 AM »

Useful info, thanks.  Although generally by the time I'm passed I'd rather switch to another unit rather than waste the time to circle around and re-check his health.

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2007, 04:37:55 AM »

I have seen and sunk ships with their health bars with more than half full with torpedoes. Which leads me to believe torpedoes has more of a sinking effect on ships.
Let me restate that first statement. After successfully hitting a ship with torpedoes I have seen them 50%+ sunk before their health bar start decreasing. Torpedoes in my opinion is the quickest way to take down a ship.
If you noticed also via repairs the health bar also increases.
The best place to hit a ship is in the back by the propellers. It creates water, fire, and engine damage which forces the player to use 1 person for each which takes longer to repair than puting all 3 in one particular damaged area.

Yeah I have put in alot of time on this demo  icon_smile

PS3 Spinks
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2007, 05:32:51 AM »

Quote from: juniordan on January 31, 2007, 04:37:55 AM

As have I.......

I went into my local gamestop and pre-ordered the game tonight so that i could get the extra 10% for some trade ins....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 05:35:24 AM by papasmurff » Logged

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2007, 05:54:38 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on January 31, 2007, 05:32:51 AM

As have I.......

I went into my local gamestop and pre-ordered the game tonight so that i could get the extra 10% for some trade ins....

So are we going to link up tomarrow night?
Your gamertag is not going in for live. add me and we will be good to go.

PS3 Spinks
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2007, 06:14:04 AM »

done....and done

Sorry I need to edit that and add in the spaces.

EDIT:  MP Posted in MP forum
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 06:36:51 AM by papasmurff » Logged

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2007, 02:55:40 AM »

I picked it up today after class and spent some time playing.

First of all, if you haven't played the demo, or you're the kind of person who wants to get everything down before going online, set aside a generous chunk of time for the Naval Academy.  This is not a 5-minute tutorial; although it's a little on the dry side, it does walk you through every nook and cranny of the game, from piloting ships, to gunnery, to map/command/squad/formation functions, to piloting, to sub usage.  They've learned from other complicated multiplayer games where you have to learn on the fly, and there's none of that here.  HIGHLY recommended, as it basically serves as an hour-long manual.

I tried a couple of the plane challenge missions, as well.  The first one was tough but very much do-able, and served as a nice break from the tutorials, giving me some real action.  I squeaked through the first, and got through the first 2 of the 3 stages of the second mission.  I think the first challenge mission in each will serve as a nice extension of the tutorial, showing you how the vehicle type handles in combat, the second will gauge your competence, and the third, if it's any tougher, will probably be a nice ultra-hard mission to build your skills.

The campaign is actually better than I expected; it starts you out in a PT boat, which is a useful little unit that was far under-represented in the MP demo, and intersperses that with some plane action before giving you command of a destroyer.  It's got some nice personality to it with the films and voice acting, the missions are varied so far and make sense in the context of the war, and most of all, hasn't been boring (I could probably finish it easily tomorrow if the missions don't get harder or longer).  My only concern is that if the missions don't get longer, the campaign is also going to be horribly, horribly short, and the challenge missions, while tough, just aren't there in the numbers to extend SP gameplay much.  MP is going to be the meat and potatoes of this game's longevity.

I still have no complaints with the graphics or the sounds, just like the demo.  Large battles and huge explosions go without a drop in frame-rate, and the clouds, water, and effects are gorgeous; planes and ships are functional and adequate, and the islands are pretty okay (not that you spend much time looking at the scenery).

Of course, this mini-impressions set assumes that you've played the demo.  I'll probably post a longer mini-review later for people who haven't played but are curious.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2007, 07:31:19 AM »

Got some MP time in. Fun so far.  Played a couple of the campaign missions.  Very nice overall.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2007, 08:21:35 AM »

Any split screen co-op or versus MP?  I usually have a friend over to play live games and he doesn't have a 360.  Having a teammate right next to you could really help with the teamwork aspect.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2007, 05:42:17 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 01, 2007, 08:21:35 AM

Any split screen co-op or versus MP?  I usually have a friend over to play live games and he doesn't have a 360.  Having a teammate right next to you could really help with the teamwork aspect.

Nope

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »

Gamespot has an excellent write up about the game.  The drawback is that it is very short, but that's fine with me.  The write up seems to convey everything that I want in that game and again MP looks like a blast.

They scored it at 7.8 which is well with in buy territory for a GS review (given the lower score they gave Battles of Prince of Persia and what great fun that turned out to be).  So, once I find a reasonable price- I don't expect this one to be full price for long, I'll be picking it up- no doubt!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2007, 09:02:03 AM »

Ahh... fun fun fun.  Had a good bunch of MP matches last night with the guys.  Was looking over the challenges leaderboard... I'm 5th on the Hunt for the Cruiser challenge, and in the top 50-100 on most of the other ship challenges.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2007, 02:29:47 PM »

I love the game, but it's kicking my ass. I cannot beat the first sub challenge, sinking the two Japanese tankers. Anyone got some tips?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2007, 04:18:54 PM »

Quote from: jblank on February 03, 2007, 02:29:47 PM

I love the game, but it's kicking my ass. I cannot beat the first sub challenge, sinking the two Japanese tankers. Anyone got some tips?

Yea any hints out there it's hard everytime I get close to a tanker to take a shot a destroyer shows up with depth  charges argggh. disgust

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2007, 05:10:19 PM »

I have seen and sunk ships with their health bars with more than half full with torpedoes. Which leads me to believe torpedoes has more of a sinking effect on ships.
Let me restate that first statement. After successfully hitting a ship with torpedoes I have seen them 50%+ sunk before their health bar start decreasing. Torpedoes in my opinion is the quickest way to take down a ship.
If you noticed also via repairs the health bar also increases.
The best place to hit a ship is in the back by the propellers. It creates water, fire, and engine damage which forces the player to use 1 person for each which takes longer to repair than puting all 3 in one particular damaged area.

Does the MP demo allow some kind of bot play?  I have no desire to go online and play real people but I want to try the game b4 I buy.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2007, 05:13:11 PM »

Oh, and I don't mind 'short' games in the context most think of as short, but 6 hours or less is an absolutely no way in hell purchase.  Anyone actually finish the SP yet to give us a time to completion?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2007, 10:27:26 PM »

On the sub challenges:  Don't be afraid to use depth 4 to break contact.  Also it is possible to use the other transports as cover against the destroyers, sometimes even causing them to ram each other.  If necessary, target the destroyers first.  No destroyers means you can take the other ships out at will.  Tankers are not agile, you can hit them with torps from fairly long ranges.  The mission ends when you get the second target, so don't worry if you are almost dead.  Just as long as the target goes down first.

No bots in the game.  I'm not sure how much time I've put into the campaign so far, I've put quite a bit into the challenges.  At least 4-6 hours so far, and still have 3 missions left.  These should be pretty large battles (two are the actual midway battle) so they could take a while per mission.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2007, 11:37:50 PM »

Well, I downloaded the demo and joined a game just long enough to check out the overall look, which was just okay and nothing to brag about, but there seemed to be a cool strategy game inside.  I found the plane controls backwards from what I am used to and could not find any way to change that.  So, I hope the full game allows that.  I am sure it must.  Most games do nowadays. 

I didn't stay in long as there zip for tutorials in the demo and couldn't stand not knowing what I was doing and playing against others who are looking for a decent game.  Hated to be the anchor to everybody's multi fun.  So, barely was in long enough to tell anything other than controls were a bit wonkie, and the game is more of a slow-going hands-on tactical-action strategy game.  I think that sums up what I saw. 

With so many much better games coming in March I can't see me spending the dollars on this.  Will save my dough, but when this puppy hits $29.99 I will be all over it.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2007, 03:44:29 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on February 03, 2007, 05:13:11 PM

Oh, and I don't mind 'short' games in the context most think of as short, but 6 hours or less is an absolutely no way in hell purchase.  Anyone actually finish the SP yet to give us a time to completion?

If you play on Rookie and only take out primary targets I would guess 4-6 hrs.  IF you play on regular and take out secondary objectives the game gets much more interesting, as well as challenging so i would say 10 hrs.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2007, 03:59:34 AM »

I'd agree with that.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Kratz
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2007, 10:12:47 PM »

Multi seems to be the sell on this one.

I have it out as a rental and the SP is fairly entertaining... I figure it will get more so w/ a bunch of shit to command.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2007, 05:23:56 AM »

Bought this game in anticipation of the CC price drop next week and played through the tutorial. Though it was very long it did cover the basics quite well. However, I found some of the instructions drowned out over roar of the artillery and plane engines.

Before launching into the campaign and to build up my skills, I'm gonna work through some of the challenges first.  So,  I decided to try the ship challenge. 5 attempts later, I still haven't beaten the first mission (though I've come OH SO CLOSE three times) but am having an absolute blast with this game.

So far it's everything I hoped.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 05:33:31 AM by ATB » Logged
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2007, 06:37:19 AM »

Quote from: ATB on February 16, 2007, 05:23:56 AM

Bought this game in anticipation of the CC price drop next week and played through the tutorial. Though it was very long it did cover the basics quite well. However, I found some of the instructions drowned out over roar of the artillery and plane engines.

Before launching into the campaign and to build up my skills, I'm gonna work through some of the challenges first.  So,  I decided to try the ship challenge. 5 attempts later, I still haven't beaten the first mission (though I've come OH SO CLOSE three times) but am having an absolute blast with this game.

So far it's everything I hoped.

Yeah some of the challenges suck and are very difficult.....I am stuck on one of the plane ones at the moment

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2007, 04:36:37 PM »

Send me invites!  I can't seem to bring myself to pop this in on my own over College Hoops or R6:V, but a good MP match would have it in my 360 in a second.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2007, 04:42:20 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on February 16, 2007, 04:36:37 PM

Send me invites!  I can't seem to bring myself to pop this in on my own over College Hoops or R6:V, but a good MP match would have it in my 360 in a second.

Well, I'm not quite ready for MP yet.  But we definitely should give it a whirl. Look for an upcoming thread in the MP forum.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2007, 04:55:02 PM »

I'm getting ready to throw this thing on ebay, it is an incredibly frustrating game. Mission 4, where you have to sink the Japanese Battleship Fuso.........freakin' KILLING ME!!!!! The ship flat out will not sink. How did you guys beat this? What did you do to sink it?

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »

Quote from: jblank on February 16, 2007, 04:55:02 PM

I'm getting ready to throw this thing on ebay, it is an incredibly frustrating game. Mission 4, where you have to sink the Japanese Battleship Fuso.........freakin' KILLING ME!!!!! The ship flat out will not sink. How did you guys beat this? What did you do to sink it?

Try B-7.  Sorry, I got nothing.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2007, 04:58:05 PM »

B-7?

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2007, 04:59:24 PM »

Quote from: jblank on February 16, 2007, 04:58:05 PM

B-7?

I thought it was witty.  At least at first.   icon_redface

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: