http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 07:09:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefront Renegade Squadron (PSP)  (Read 386 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2007, 09:41:55 AM »

Haven't seen any other posts for Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron on PSP yet so here it goes..

Picked it up the other day, got the free han solo case at gamestop (and the game was actually factory sealed!) only played it offline in instant action a couple of times but my first impressions are, other than poor bot AI, it can definitely get addictive.
You can have up to 16 players per game (humans or bots) and you can play any of the multiplayer maps/modes offline against the AI. There's a couple new modes, including a couple CTF variations. One of them has you going to the enemy base, getting their flag, and bringing it back to your flag/capture point. Another is a Hero CTF variation, where one player on each team plays as a hero (bots can as well, something missing from battlefront 2) and you have to bring your flag to the enemy base's capture point. The bots, even on elite (hardest AI) setting, just plain suck. If you thought they were bad in the first two battlefront games, expect more of the same.
Graphics are average, nothing to write home about, but good enough to get the job done. Controls feel a lot like SOCOM (PSP) if you've played it, left buttons move up down, left and right, while right trigger button is your lock-on. Left jumps. Theres of course a couple other control selections you can choose from, but I felt most comfortable with default. (Though nothing can compare to dual analog sticks, someone really needs to fire the guy at Sony who decided the PSP only needed one analog stick..)

Haven't tried online yet as I don't have a router, but I ordered the PSP Wifi Key the other day on ebay which should be coming in any day now. When it does, I'll be heading online asap! It's good to see more games supporting online play, especially with 16+ players. 
Not quite sure SWB RS is able to justify its $40 price point, but I'd say if you can find it for $30 or less, and especially if you are able to take your PSP online, it's worth it. There's a lot of replayability here, between the singleplayer campaign, galactic conquest, instant action, and online multiplayer it's something I see myself playing for months to come. 

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 03:16:12 PM »

I would be wary of the WiFi MAX brand PSP/DS USB WiFi dongle (dunno if that's what you chose).

I received one as a gift, and it worked sporadically (once I checked forums/message boards for the gadget, I realized how problematic it was for many), and the strange proprietary software proved difficult to uninstall for some reason. I bought a Buffalo WiFi router instead (didn't cost much more), and it worked perfectly until I had to unplug it to replace my UPS, and the router settings didn't refresh properly (and I forgot my WEP password, which I had idiotically not written down). I'm hoping to re-set things up some day, but it was so problematic trying to uninstall the WiFi MAX software, and figuring out why my WiFi Router went awry, that I just threw it all in the closet for now.  crybaby

Until that time I had been playing Medal of Honor: Heroes (has some quick-text keys but doesn't support headset voicecomm) and Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (which supports headset voicecomm) sporadically online.

I have this game on my Gamefly rental list, but it's usually not available right now. It doesn't sound like single player is worth much, but the multiplayer sounds fun, so it might entice me to try to get my router installed again.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:18:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: