http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 02:38:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield: Bad Company 2 to the PC! Vietnam Expansion!  (Read 17231 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:06 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on March 15, 2010, 02:34:03 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 15, 2010, 02:20:45 PM

there is Halo 2, which is only going to die off because MS is discontinuing support for original X-Box titles.

I think this is probably the one and only real example of an older Console multiplayer title with a truly lasting online presence.

CoD4 still is in the top 5 played games per month and it's been out a few years.  The good games last
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 15, 2010, 03:46:07 PM »

I'm having a bit of trouble getting up to speed with this game, but rush mode is pretty fun... I've had some REALLY bad periods where I just can't kill anything, especially in conquest, which I just stopped playing... MW2 is better for that sort of game.

The complete glut of snipers is super annoying... not only because you can get pinged from 8000 yards away the second you spawn, but because having 3 snipers in your squad is fucking worthless...  I've gotten on a good team a few times, and a bad team alot where people just don't attack, or don't try to defend mcoms...

That said, there is definitely something here...

My stats are pretty pathetic at this point...  I'd love to link up with some non idiots...

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:23:46 PM by kratz » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 15, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »

Quote from: Crux on March 12, 2010, 11:40:09 PM

Well depending on some other factors, K/D ratio can be a huge indicator of effectiveness in some FPSers. In Battlefield, if you're not dying much then you're able to do other things like cap flags, revive friendlies etc etc.

I dunno... I think that a lot of people with higher K/D ratios in this game aren't really contributing to winning a match, because they aren't getting their hands dirty actually trying to take m-com stations/points... you are going to die more doing that, but at least you are trying to win instead of sniping from the other side of the map.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 15, 2010, 04:10:50 PM »

a really high k/d isn't as important as not having a really low k/d slywink
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 15, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »

So I see on the sig-o-matic stats there are team score, squad score, and objective score, along with percentages. What are those and what do the percentages mean?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2010, 04:18:09 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on March 15, 2010, 02:34:03 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 15, 2010, 02:20:45 PM

there is Halo 2, which is only going to die off because MS is discontinuing support for original X-Box titles.

I think this is probably the one and only real example of an older Console multiplayer title with a truly lasting online presence.

Half a year ago, Star wars Battlefied 2 still had a big following on the xbox and ps3 still

A new one
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 15, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »

Quote from: raydude on March 15, 2010, 04:17:15 PM

So I see on the sig-o-matic stats there are team score, squad score, and objective score, along with percentages. What are those and what do the percentages mean?

I would assume that those are the percentage of your points that are earned from helping your team, squad, and taking/defending objectives.  So if you have a high percentage on objectives, for example, you spend most of your time taking and defending points.  A high squad percentage would indicate someone who never goes anywhere without squad mates (and probably doesn't play sniper).  A sniper might have a high team score if they spend a lot of time spotting.  That sort of thing.
Rubyeye
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2010, 05:15:49 PM »

Terrible, but had a blast this weekend.  Looking forward to getting some more playtime in.  My last round last night had me dieing every 10 seconds.  It does seem a little sniper friendly.  I have only played assualt so far.

omgz
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: March 15, 2010, 07:04:47 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 15, 2010, 03:52:43 PM

Quote from: Crux on March 12, 2010, 11:40:09 PM

Well depending on some other factors, K/D ratio can be a huge indicator of effectiveness in some FPSers. In Battlefield, if you're not dying much then you're able to do other things like cap flags, revive friendlies etc etc.
I dunno... I think that a lot of people with higher K/D ratios in this game aren't really contributing to winning a match, because they aren't getting their hands dirty actually trying to take m-com stations/points... you are going to die more doing that, but at least you are trying to win instead of sniping from the other side of the map.

Totally agreed. I had one Rush map go where the Defender side (which I was on) won the very first wave (the Attackers didn't get the first pair of M-Com stations) due to a very high amount of snipers on the Attacking side. The defenders desperately hunked down behind what was left of the buildings (by the end, there were NO buildings standing) and put up one hell of a fight. Closest the attackers got to taking the second station was when they loaded into a helicopter and all bailed out right on top of the station while their tank was firing away (before they bailed out of it and we stole/repaired it biggrin).

The battle lasted forever, but damn was it fun.

So long story short - snipers are very useful, but a bunch of them are useless.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: March 16, 2010, 02:36:39 AM »

Some common questions and problems addressed in the most recent blog as well as notes on the patch that was supposed to come out today but was delayed. 

At least it sounds like they will soon be addressing some of the most pressing issues with the server browser, joining, etc.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2010, 12:23:50 AM »

well damn, they already pulled the Limited Edition off of Steam.  I guess I'll get the boxed copy off of Amazon that's 10 bucks cheaper.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2010, 08:43:42 PM »

looks like the Securom on the Steam version is going bye bye.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2010, 09:00:29 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 17, 2010, 12:23:50 AM

well damn, they already pulled the Limited Edition off of Steam.  I guess I'll get the boxed copy off of Amazon that's 10 bucks cheaper.

Limited edition of a downloadable game, pretty funny.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 17, 2010, 09:00:29 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 17, 2010, 12:23:50 AM

Limited edition of a downloadable game, pretty funny.

It is kind of weird, especially in the case of Steam, since it is really just there to encourage people to buy new rather than used by giving them free DLC.  I know they said it would be a limited time release on Steam from the beginning, but it isn't as if you buy used games on Steam so you'd think they would just have that version always available. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: March 19, 2010, 05:04:24 AM »

For anybody interested, I have rented a BC2 server for myself and a coworker and you are all more than welcome on it.  The IP is 68.232.175.237, or you can probably find it by searching for "Devil Fish".  Right now it is set up as a Rush-mode server with hardcore damage and FF, but leaving in the minimap and spotting HUD.  The server is in Dallas, so should have decent pings for most anybody in the states.

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 19, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 19, 2010, 05:04:24 AM

For anybody interested, I have rented a BC2 server for myself and a coworker and you are all more than welcome on it.  The IP is 68.232.175.237, or you can probably find it by searching for "Devil Fish".  Right now it is set up as a Rush-mode server with hardcore damage and FF, but leaving in the minimap and spotting HUD.  The server is in Dallas, so should have decent pings for most anybody in the states.

I may check this out and see what kind of pings I get from my side of the world, usually west coast based servers and TX area aren't bad ping-wise for me.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 19, 2010, 06:28:37 PM »

You running and maintaining punkbuster on it?  If so i may check it out tonight..

I've been playing on the GWJ server most evenings that i feel like playing with a real team, which is most evenings.   Good server and group for the most part.  Got frustrated last night though cause for the first time even the GWJ server and GWJers turned into a mass of "refuse to move foward, must camp and snipe" players after we totally rolled the first 2 objective areas (3 of the m-com destroyers were mine) and i was up 25 kills to 5 deaths then suddenly on the 3rd objective area nobody but me would even attempt to move through the chokepoint towards the next objective...i just told em goodnight for me...was done for the evening cause the entire rest of the team wasn't doing anything but sniping from as far back as possible.

Would be good to have another server of OO/GT players as an alternative choice of a good server.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 19, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on March 19, 2010, 06:28:37 PM

suddenly on the 3rd objective area nobody but me would even attempt to move through the chokepoint towards the next objective...i just told em goodnight for me...was done for the evening cause the entire rest of the team wasn't doing anything but sniping from as far back as possible.

We totally destroyed the M-Com after you left  icon_lol

It's not that nobody was going, it's that nobody was getting through. We eventually mortared both defending vehicles, got the Apache out of the air, and made it into the base. I blew up B myself.

Sometimes it's better to just have a little patience.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:42:11 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 19, 2010, 07:06:33 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on March 19, 2010, 06:35:44 PM

suddenly on the 3rd objective area nobody but me would even attempt to move through the chokepoint towards the next objective...i just told em goodnight for me...was done for the evening cause the entire rest of the team wasn't doing anything but sniping from as far back as possible.

We totally destroyed the M-Com after you left  icon_lol

It's not that nobody was going, it's that nobody was getting through. We eventually mortared both defending vehicles, got the Apache out of the air, and made it into the base. I blew up B myself.

Sometimes it's better to just have a little patience.

Good to know they got it together:)  Was the 1st time i'd seen like nobody moving up on that server.

I'm sure i'll be back for some more punishment tonight.  The game keeps improving the more unlocks i get...the Assault rifles AFTER the Aug are just sicko in their deadliness compared to the ones up and including the Aug.  I was going nuts with the M416 planting on a crate then getting 5+ kills against the defenders rushing in.  Crazy gun.  Back with the Aug or previous i'd have been lucky to get 1 kill in that situation.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: March 20, 2010, 05:45:57 AM »

You running and maintaining punkbuster on it?  If so i may check it out tonight..

Would be good to have another server of OO/GT players as an alternative choice of a good server.

Yep, it's a ranked server with punkbuster running all the time.  I was playing with my coworker on there for a couple hours tonight and we ended up switching it to squad deathmatch for a while, which was a fun change. 

Also worth noting, apparently their server search function is case-sensitive, so be sure to search for "Devil Fish" with the caps.  What kind of amateurs did they get to write that server browser?  slywink

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 20, 2010, 01:47:50 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 20, 2010, 05:45:57 AM

Also worth noting, apparently their server search function is case-sensitive, so be sure to search for "Devil Fish" with the caps.  What kind of amateurs did they get to write that server browser?  slywink

I'm on the 360 version, but is it also true the PC server browser has all the filter toggle actions reversed from the norm?  As in, if you check the box next to  Punkbuster, it will filter out all the Punkbuster servers in the list?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 20, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »

no points after you die? so if I get killed after tossing a grenade which takes out another guy I get ripped off?  thumbsdown

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: March 20, 2010, 04:10:01 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 20, 2010, 01:47:50 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 20, 2010, 05:45:57 AM

Also worth noting, apparently their server search function is case-sensitive, so be sure to search for "Devil Fish" with the caps.  What kind of amateurs did they get to write that server browser?  slywink

I'm on the 360 version, but is it also true the PC server browser has all the filter toggle actions reversed from the norm?  As in, if you check the box next to  Punkbuster, it will filter out all the Punkbuster servers in the list?

Indeed, I just tested this and checking the Punkbuster box means that you get servers without PB.  Brilliant!  I'm not sure if that is the only one that works backwards or not, though.  Thankfully they have said that they're rewriting the server browser, but who knows when that will come down the pipe.

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2010, 04:02:04 PM

no points after you die? so if I get killed after tossing a grenade which takes out another guy I get ripped off?  thumbsdown

Yeah, that does suck.  I've also had cases where even just with guns an enemy and I both die at the same time, so do we both not get points in that case?  Or potentially one of us? 

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 20, 2010, 07:03:35 PM »

checking PB means you get servers without it.

leaving it unchecked means you get servers both with AND without it.

So leave it unchecked and THEN make sure the server HAS it enabled on teh loading screen.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: March 20, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on March 20, 2010, 07:03:35 PM

So leave it unchecked and THEN make sure the server HAS it enabled on teh loading screen.

Yeah, that's just unintuitive.  You click "Ranked" for one that is ranked.  You click "not empty" for one that is not empty.  Yet you click "Punkbuster" for one that isn't PB? 

Also, FYI, signature pictures are a no-no around here.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:08:35 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 20, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 15, 2010, 03:35:06 PM

CoD4 still is in the top 5 played games per month and it's been out a few years.  The good games last

Delayed response here, but what the heck. CoD4 isn't even three years old yet. BF2 came out in 2005 and people still play it. Also, and this is really the best example of the kind of longevity the PC can offer... Counter-Strike.

The only close competitor was Halo 2 at over 5 years old, but it's being shut down.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 20, 2010, 08:49:18 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on March 20, 2010, 08:07:37 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on March 15, 2010, 03:35:06 PM

CoD4 still is in the top 5 played games per month and it's been out a few years.  The good games last

Delayed response here, but what the heck. CoD4 isn't even three years old yet. BF2 came out in 2005 and people still play it. Also, and this is really the best example of the kind of longevity the PC can offer... Counter-Strike.

The only close competitor was Halo 2 at over 5 years old, but it's being shut down.

I'm just not sure what your point was.  People still play games that are only available on the Dreamcast.  I was merely saying that some games do indeed have a long lasting following, even on consoles.  I think people on PC tend to stick with games longer, but I think a lot of that is the mindset of the type of person that tends to game on a PC versus the average console user.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 20, 2010, 09:34:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on March 20, 2010, 08:49:18 PM

I'm just not sure what your point was.  People still play games that are only available on the Dreamcast.  I was merely saying that some games do indeed have a long lasting following, even on consoles.  I think people on PC tend to stick with games longer, but I think a lot of that is the mindset of the type of person that tends to game on a PC versus the average console user.

If you read back, you'll find it wasn't my point. I was just refuting the idea that console games last as long online as PC games. They simply don't. The publishers, or in the case of Xbox Live the console maker shut down servers long before they make it as far as the more long lasting online PC games. If you're the type to sink into a game that way, you have far better odds of finding a solid community for that kind of time on the PC than you do on the console.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:38:44 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: March 21, 2010, 12:19:39 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 20, 2010, 07:46:27 PM

Quote from: Fuzzballx on March 20, 2010, 07:03:35 PM

Yeah, that's just unintuitive.  You click "Ranked" for one that is ranked.  You click "not empty" for one that is not empty.  Yet you click "Punkbuster" for one that isn't PB? 

I think that's sitting in their known bug list. Should be fixed whenever they decide to redo the server browser.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 22, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 21, 2010, 12:19:39 AM

I think that's sitting in their known bug list. Should be fixed whenever they decide to redo the server browser.

Oh Dice, what can't you screw up for a new release?

You'd think that something they've ironed out problems with three or four times over already in past releases wouldn't be the thing they would have problems with... but here we are.

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 22, 2010, 06:55:59 PM »

Played a couple of great games on the Gamers With Jobs server over the weekend(search Goodjer in the server list). One standout for me was the Rush mode on the Valparaso map. The US team starts out in the jungle and has to either cross an open area or hug the beach to get to the first two objectives.

At first we (the US side) were pinned down in the forest, killing and being killed and making no real headway.  There were quite a few snipers on our side content with just sniping from the forest. Then I saw a sniper from another squad head down toward the beach, followed closely behind by an enemy sniper. I followed them both. Enemy sniper got a knife kill, then I killed him with my M60 and revived my dead sniper buddy.

He and I waited and hoped more people would spawn to help us. More squaddies started spawning near us as we hugged the beach, the hill next to it covering our advance. Before the enemy knew it we had about 5-6 guys near the objective, I was reviving guys left and right, and we soon advanced and took both objectives with 22 tickets to spare.

I'm really liking the GWJ server. They set the respawn timer to 10 seconds so having a few medics on your team (on either side) really makes a difference. 10 seconds is a lot of time for a squad to get in, arm the crate, and defend against the counter attack. It also helps that a lot of the people who play on that server seem very flexible, watching the minimap, spawning near teammates that are near objectives, and reviving people who are down.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 23, 2010, 04:24:57 AM »

status of reported issues.  a nice update of stuff they're trying to fix.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: March 23, 2010, 05:06:33 AM »

I still can't believe that their server browser doesn't report pings for more than 20 or 30 servers.  It makes it totally worthless to have my own server when nobody finds it because it doesn't report a ping.

Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 24, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »

I found out yesterday that I could finally use the M1 Garand I was supposed to get for being a 'Battlefield veteran'. It never showed up in my weapon selection screen previously, even though I had it unlocked. It's not bad, and I got quite a few kills with it. Medic with an accurate rifle? Yes sir!
Cremator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 24, 2010, 05:58:53 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 23, 2010, 05:06:33 AM

I still can't believe that their server browser doesn't report pings for more than 20 or 30 servers.  It makes it totally worthless to have my own server when nobody finds it because it doesn't report a ping.

Engine, I couldn't find your server when searching when you first announced it, but miraculously last night at 11pm CST, I tried searching for "Devil Fish" again in the browser and actually found it! I'll see if I can get some friends in to get you some traffic (no on on at that time last night). Added to my favorites.
Perhaps there is some history or queuing going on that delayed your server showing up in the browser for a few days?
Ping for me from MN was ~95. BC2 name is Romak3.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »

Just bought it through the steam 4 for the price of 3 deal  nod

See you all on the Battlefield  ninja

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2010, 08:55:04 PM »

BC2 name here is Gellar
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2010, 04:53:01 AM »

kust picked this up thanks to that 10 bucks off then an additional 20 bucks off PAX East deal.  Soldier's name is OriginalCeeKay.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2010, 06:39:40 AM »

shit fuck. did the version from EA have securom? i didnt even know the steam version had this. FUCK, i bought this last night and didn't check to see if it this shitty DRM. maybe that's my virus scanner was going nuts on the download last night. fuck cock balls.

i feel dirty and let down if i ended up supporting securom.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2010, 06:45:42 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 29, 2010, 06:39:40 AM

shit fuck. did the version from EA have securom? i didnt even know the steam version had this. FUCK, i bought this last night and didn't check to see if it this shitty DRM. maybe that's my virus scanner was going nuts on the download last night. fuck cock balls.

i feel dirty and let down if i ended up supporting securom.

Why are you being so polite about it? ;-D

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: