http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 04:46:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XB1/PS4/PS3/360/PC]Battlefield 4  (Read 8512 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2013, 07:51:29 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 29, 2013, 07:14:21 AM

I buy the one that says 1080p on the box (or in this case 900p).

I expect both versions to say 1080p on the box, just like current-gen games do. They don't show you the game's native resolution on the box, but instead which resolutions it can render to (which in this case includes 1080p for both versions no matter what they began with).

Also, apart from the aliasing issues, don't expect to see the difference in resolution from web videos. They are heavily compressed and rarely run above 720p themselves, so it's not a good way to compare.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »

Here's the IGN comparison video with less of the contrast disparity.  Really what is up with that DF video?  Also has multiplayer of both.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lspjyu31Joo
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/28/battlefield-4-xbox-oneps4-graphics-comparison
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:32:39 AM by forgeforsaken » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2013, 11:37:06 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 29, 2013, 11:20:47 AM

Here's the IGN comparison video with less of the contrast disparity.  Really what is up with that DF video?

The worst thing about it is that a lot of people who see the crushed blacks and extreme saturation think it looks better than the regular contrast. It reminds me of the feeling I get when people who listen to my music tell me they think it sounds extra awesome with some kind of "sound enhancer" software they're using, which in reality just distorts and ruins what I intended for people to hear. Anyone playing with crushed blacks will have an interesting experience playing in shadowed areas of a game ("hey, why is this area pitch black? I can't see a thing!").

Anyone with a PS3 who wants to experience what this picture setting leads to can try changing the RGB Range in the PS3's settings to Full. This only works if your TV doesn't support full RGB range though. The result will be utterly crushed blacks. Your first reaction will be "wow, this looks good". Your second reaction will be "dammit, I can't see a thing!"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »

Digital Foundry just admitted they fucked up their comparison video. Good to see that they're taking this head on instead of shoving it under the carpet.

"The issue here is simple; Tom had a limited amount of time to capture this stuff and was not able to do so in a normal environment. If mistakes were made normally, it would be easy to go back and correct, but with the way this worked, it wasn't really possible.

Why so different? DF uses their own hardware for capturing while DICE were handing out Elgato boxes to everyone else. The DF hardware is actually much more capable but it works differently and, without the experience of working with these new consoles, I can see a situation where settings were dialed in wrong.

JackFrags used what DICE provided and probably didn't even attempt to change any settings which, in this case, turned out to be for the best."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »

Sorry about spamming the thread. Tongue For anyone worried about the lack of ambient occlusion (subtle shadowing in transitions between surfaces) in the Xbox One footage, it was just revealed that it's supposed to be in the final build of the game. Footage of both the PS4 and PC versions already feature AO. No word on whether or not this will affect framerate.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:18:51 PM by TiLT » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 29, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »

I'm all for the PS4 but I gotta say I really see no difference between these comparison videos.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: October 29, 2013, 01:40:41 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 29, 2013, 01:27:01 PM

I'm all for the PS4 but I gotta say I really see no difference between these comparison videos.

Did you try the IGN comparison? It shows the differences much better. It's also important to watch at the greatest possible resolution, but because of compression, the 30 fps or below framerate, and the lack of resolution in online videos, you won't get the full picture.

As far as I can tell from what I've read and seen myself, these are the differences:

- PS4 runs at 900p, Xbox One at 720p.
- PS4 has more consistent framerate, but not by a lot.
- PS4 features ambient occlusion, Xbox One does not (but will before release, according to what I believe was a dev earlier today)
- The Xbox One version features some kind of detail enhancer according to Digital Foundry, which makes the graphics more crisp (with a "halo" around objects) but also makes the blemishes much easier to spot. I suspect this might have been an effect of their incorrect calibration of the recording equipment though.
- PS4 has AA routines that, while not exactly the same as the PC version, looks very similar to it. I don't think the Xbox One version has AA at all beyond what it gets for free with upscaling.
- There's apparently a difference in how clouds are rendered. The Xbox One clouds are white and hard to see, while the PS4 clouds are darker and more ominous. Some claim that there aren't clouds in the Xbox One version, but I believe this is incorrect.

A few notable similarities that are worth mentioning since there has been some confusion about them:
- The texture quality is exactly the same between the two versions.
- Neither runs at a full 60 fps most of the time, but they are still very smooth and stay between 40 and 60.
- The color balance is the same. The difference in saturation and contrast in the Digital Foundry videos is a result of incorrectly calibrated equipment on the Xbox One feed. Both versions should have a similar color palette to what you see in the PS4 videos.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 29, 2013, 01:48:11 PM »

I thought the clouds were missing at first too, but they are there, just hard to see

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 29, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »

This is the one BF4 review you should all watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-05jmygqJg&feature=youtu.be
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: October 29, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 29, 2013, 02:25:17 PM

This is the one BF4 review you should all watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-05jmygqJg&feature=youtu.be

LOL. Not what I expected.  icon_lol
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: October 29, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »

Digital Foundry has now published an official explanation of what went wrong with the Xbox One feed that they published. Turns out the confirmation I posted above wasn't quite as official as it was first presented, and that is addressed in this new link.

The issue turned out to be a problem with the Xbox One firmware. Digital Foundry's video capture equipment is set to record at full dynamic range, and they set the Xbox One to provide signals in that same range. This didn't work the way they expected, so the results were as we can see them in DF's videos. The reason the other groups present didn't run into any issues was because they were using provided video capture equipment that only recorded in limited dynamic range (the standard we're all used to), which the Xbox One can provide with no issues whatsoever.

As a result, I would be wary of drawing too many conclusions from the comparison they posted. They talked about sharpness and other issues that seemed to have been caused by this bug, so it's not really representative of the final product for the Xbox One.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 29, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »

still looking forward to the XB1 version.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 29, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »

and the PC version as well.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 29, 2013, 06:31:25 PM »

plus the DLC packs names look really interesting.  The Naval one could be lots of fun.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »

of course the final DLC pack is due out in the summer, so I wonder if we'll see BF5 come next fall biggrin

Because I can,
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2013, 12:44:20 AM »

360 version

Is there an HD texture patch/download like in BF3? I got the 6mb, 2Gb, and 120mb ones and then installed the discs via the dashboard.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:49:28 AM by Kagath » Logged

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2013, 01:47:43 AM »

I got the PC version from GMG and am looking forward to giving it a try. 

Bummer that the single player is still just a bunch of linear, scripted missions since they were talking up that this one would change that to be more like a "real" Battlefield experience. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2013, 06:47:41 AM »

so i am hearing about Second Assault and China Rising DLC for this game

I am thinking of getting it on the 360,are these DLC packs available now,do they come with the game etc?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on October 30, 2013, 12:44:20 AM

360 version

Is there an HD texture patch/download like in BF3? I got the 6mb, 2Gb, and 120mb ones and then installed the discs via the dashboard.
nit that I've heard of.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2013, 03:21:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 01, 2013, 11:16:21 AM

Quote from: Kagath on October 30, 2013, 12:44:20 AM

360 version

nit that I've heard of.

From what i am hearing its the 2gig install that is the 'texture pack'

I just put my disc in and it said that the 2gig install was for "optimal performance"

DICE also recommend installing both discs as well as that 120mb thing off the marketplace(that i see you have already)

I did the update(6mb),downloaded the 120mb off the marketplace and i am now installing the 2gig download(it flew down,million times faster than the marketplace)

EDIT:
Just installed the discs as well
Disc 1-6.6gig
Disc 2-5.8gig

so do we input the China Rising code now,or wait until its release in December?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:56:36 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2013, 03:58:45 PM »

er, not, not nit.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »

Picked it up on PC after all.

What is the deal with the Origin friend list? I seem to have a whole list of friend requests from complete strangers. If someone is waiting for a confirmation from me, let me know.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »

Been playing this last night and some this morning

I was not impressed last night,i got easily annoyed with the controls I mean who the fuck puts LS button as accelerate when in vehicles?,I must have been stood in a boat for a few minutes going through everything before the on screen prompt told me it was the Left Stick button..my squad member manning the gun was not amused
At least i remembered from the beta that the spot button is now RB

This morning i had a better time,although i got stuck on the black loading screen twice and had to do a hard reset of the 360

The maps are decent enough,i like the big changes in the middle,whether its a dam breaking and flooding the entire map or a hurricane/tropical storm settling down on the series of islands you are fighting for,its all very cool and i imagine on PC or Next Gen it would look even better,but as i am on 360 the graphics are nothing special but they do the job

One or two maps i have just plain not enjoyed,but maybe after time i will get to like them

Is there a way to look at people's Dog Tags that you have collected?,i got the achievement for knifing 5 people this morning but can't see their dogtags anywhere(I looked in the Dog Tag section as well,I just see Country tags on the Left and fan made tags on the right)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 12:13:50 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2013, 02:07:12 PM »

First thing I did was change vehicle controls so that triggers are go and back, analog that way too.  Only bad thing is that makes LB shoot which is a bit odd sometimes.

(btw, make sure you try practicing driving/flying in the training area so you don't screw your team over... noob slywink )
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2013, 02:12:05 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 01, 2013, 07:38:56 PM

What is the deal with the Origin friend list? I seem to have a whole list of friend requests from complete strangers. If someone is waiting for a confirmation from me, let me know.

I've been giving out your name in-game:  for a good time call Teggy.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2013, 04:12:28 PM »

Digital Foundry has just released some of its BF4 footage in a form that more easily lets people compare the versions and see how it'll run on your platform of choice. You must download these videos as streaming wouldn't really work for this kind of quality. Each of them is full 1080p (which means both the PS4 and Xbox One versions are upscaled), and run at 60 fps. Most, if not all, videos released so far have been capped at 30 fps. The difference is enormous. These videos are exciting to me because they're my first chance to see for myself just how the games look on the new consoles, something we don't really get a good impression of by looking at screenshots or YouTube videos. smile

Edit: Forgot to mention: These videos are supposedly meant to play on your PS3/360 as well, if you want the full experience. I'm going to try that right now. smile

PLEASE NOTE:
The Xbox One footage is the same one that DF got heavily criticized for. The color balance in the Xbox One footage is wrong! Don't draw any conclusions based on it. It actually has the same color balance as the PS4 version, but you can't see that in these videos. Since the black colors are crushed in that footage, a lot of detail is lost in dark areas. The best comparisons are done in the bright parts of the videos for this reason.

PlayStation 4: Fishing in Baku (2.15GB)
Direct download
Mirror (right-click, save as)
Torrent

PlayStation 4: Multiplayer (903MB)
Download
Torrent

Xbox One: Fishing in Baku (1.98GB)
Download
Torrent

A couple of my own impressions based on these videos:
  • 60 fps makes a HUGE difference. You can also tell that the multiplayer varies in framerate quite a bit more than the singleplayer.
  • Both versions show aliasing artifacts from their upscaling, but it's much more visible on the Xbox One version. High-contrast areas flicker very noticeably on the latter, an effect that is much, much easier to see here than in screenshots. Distant details that look pixelated on Xbox One look smoother on PS4.
  • Both versions look next-gen, without a doubt. Nobody would mistake this for a game running on PS3 or Xbox 360, no matter if you're looking at the PS4 or Xbox One footage.
  • The difference between 720p and 900p is very easy to spot. This gap is doubled when comparing 720p with 1080p, which we'll only be able to do when other game comparisons start to appear.
  • Both versions compare favorably to the PC version, which is something we haven't really been able to say about console games in a while.
  • The sound design is fantastic, another subtle part of the next-gen upgrade that will increase the quality of games.
  • It's a little disappointing that they didn't release Xbox One multiplayer footage as well. That's where I saw the greatest difference between the platforms in the previously released footage.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:18:25 PM by TiLT » Logged
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 02, 2013, 04:12:28 PM

PLEASE NOTE:
The Xbox One footage is the same one that DF got heavily criticized for. The color balance in the Xbox One footage is wrong! Don't draw any conclusions based on it. It actually has the same color balance as the PS4 version, but you can't see that in these videos. Since the black colors are crushed in that footage, a lot of detail is lost in dark areas. The best comparisons are done in the bright parts of the videos for this reason.

The flaw of Internet video vs actually watching the game on the TV. Even if its 1080p the video is still heavily compressed compared what you get on your TV.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2013, 05:22:10 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 02, 2013, 05:14:17 PM

PLEASE NOTE:

The flaw of Internet video vs actually watching the game on the TV. Even if its 1080p the video is still heavily compressed compared what you get on your TV.

No, you're talking about something else. There's very, very little compression in these videos (hence their size), but the Xbox One footage has the wrong RGB range set. This has nothing to do with compression, but it means the recording equipment received values outside of the color range it was expecting, clamping them as a result.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2013, 05:28:52 PM »

Best battlefield moments so far:

Crushing Hark with a supply crate when I was commanding the opposing team.
Tomahawking a tank that never moved.
Flying as gunner for Hark in an attack chopper as we bounced off of 3 buildings, landed, slid off a patio, and eventually flew off again. Killing a couple people in the process.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2013, 05:45:16 PM »

Were any of them passengers?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2013, 08:07:34 PM »

Hark did kill me twice by crashing choppers into things....

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2013, 08:21:20 PM »

Playing this on PC and it's fine and all... but I seriously cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would play this over CoD.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 02, 2013, 08:21:20 PM

Playing this on PC and it's fine and all... but I seriously cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would play this over CoD.

It's a thinking man's game Tongue

I like both games.  But they are vastly different from one another.  COD is more of an arcade type shooter,  BF4 tends to lean towards a skill type shooter.  I like them equally.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2013, 08:31:40 PM »

Quote from: naednek on November 02, 2013, 08:24:39 PM

I like both games.  But they are vastly different from one another.  COD is more of an arcade type shooter,  BF4 tends to lean towards a skill type shooter.  I like them equally.

Yeah I don't get that at all. BF to me is a sloppier shooter where you can randomly die from a tank, helicopter, or sniper from 2 miles away.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2013, 08:32:04 PM »

It is WAY better looking though, I'll give it that.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »

It may be a thinking man's game, but session by session you might have 3 people thinking out of a couple dozen.     

I don't have the patience for that.    There is no way to get others to think before they do something useless or stupid.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »

Only got one of those videos downloaded but it makes it pretty clear that Youtube just isn't going to cut it for showing off next-gen stuff.  Hopefully the game sites step up their players.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 02, 2013, 08:33:17 PM

I like both games.  But they are vastly different from one another.  COD is more of an arcade type shooter,  BF4 tends to lean towards a skill type shooter.  I like them equally.

It may be a thinking man's game, but session by session you might have 3 people thinking out of a couple dozen.    

I don't have the patience for that.    There is no way to get others to think before they do something useless or stupid.

Well then you must really hate COD then... because playing anything on team mode in COD is frustrating as hell unless you are with friends.

Last night I was with some random stranger who was in my squad in BF4, and we were playing on the map called floodzone.  He was driving a amphibious vehicle, and I was the gunner.  We must have had a 10 kill run before the levee broke.  We worked as a team, me shooting and spotting people, and he getting me to the objective.  It was great fun.  COD is fun, but I rarely see my team mates (strangers) doing anything helpful.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:28:01 PM by naednek » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2013, 09:23:38 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 02, 2013, 09:10:20 PM

Only got one of those videos downloaded but it makes it pretty clear that Youtube just isn't going to cut it for showing off next-gen stuff.  Hopefully the game sites step up their players.

Yeah. If nothing else, I at least hope YouTube adds 60fps support.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 03, 2013, 02:18:03 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 02, 2013, 05:22:10 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on November 02, 2013, 05:14:17 PM

PLEASE NOTE:

No, you're talking about something else. There's very, very little compression in these videos (hence their size), but the Xbox One footage has the wrong RGB range set. This has nothing to do with compression, but it means the recording equipment received values outside of the color range it was expecting, clamping them as a result.

My mistake in wording. I wasn't talking about these downloadable ones but stuff people are watching streaming from Youtube and other websites.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: