http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 11:35:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 21020 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 27, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on October 27, 2011, 06:04:29 PM

Just picked this up at lunch, having never played a Battlefield game before.  Any tips on how to get myself up to at least a playable state?

Are you new to multiplayer console shooters or just new to Battlefield?
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 27, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »

Just Battlefield, though most of my shooter experience is on the PC I've still played my share on consoles.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 27, 2011, 07:42:30 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 26, 2011, 08:44:49 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 26, 2011, 08:41:56 PM

Ooh ooh! Pick me pick me!

You're already a member!

heh heh, pug is a member, heh heh

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 27, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on October 27, 2011, 07:40:44 PM

Just Battlefield, though most of my shooter experience is on the PC I've still played my share on consoles.

Vehicles are one of the biggest things that separates Battlefield from other games.  I'd recommend trying out every air/sea/land vehicle you find any chance you get so you can see how much you like manning them.  Many vehicles also have powerful gunner positions so you can try being in a vehicle without worrying about knowing where you're supposed to go.

I would recommend changing the vehicle control scheme to the alternate setting, which allows you to move and fire at the same time.  The game is pretty good about popping up help text your first time in a vehicle type, but just be sure to take it slow and easy your first time in a chopper, since their controls throw a lot of people off.

Even if you prefer not to man vehicles yourself, they're still a part of your battle so you know how to deal with them.  If you're not equipped to take one out, just spot it for your team and get the hell out of dodge.  You can also check your minimap to see if there are any anti-vehicle emplacements you can take advantage of.

Other than that, try to stick with teammates, don't try to be too much of a Rambo, play to your class's strengths and drop plenty of ammo/medpacks/whatevers to support your teammates.  The spawn on squadmate feature is one of the best ways to stick together, but double check you're not spawning on someone in a hotspot or on a herpderp sniper in the middle of nowhere.

Some maps are really big, so be sure to take advantage of transportation vehicles like jeeps and motorboats. 

Using the back button to spot enemies gets you a lot of easy points and is really helpful, but you can also use the button to do simple communications with teammates.  If you are low on ammo, for instance, support players will show as ammo icons on the minimap.  If you hit the back button while looking at a support class teammate, they will get notified that you want ammo from them.  They will then ignore you entirely.   confused

Really though, the best thing you can do is add us all to your friends list and play with forumers.  You can ask questions as you go and we can ignore you entirely help you out.  icon_wink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 27, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 06:21:10 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on October 27, 2011, 05:36:39 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 05:28:29 PM

icon_confused

How many co-op playthroughs would it take to unlock everything?

I dont' really want to know the true answer.  I've played through the first and second mission, both unsuccessfully.  Net result was 5k for one, 10k for the other.  The final unlock is about 440,000 points.  So only about 700-800 missions to get them all at this rate....   icon_eek

A fellow on the PA forums has played through the co-op campaign 4 times and change, and he's unlocked all but the last weapon.  I think I'm going to have to avoid the whole thing on principle.  At this point I'd rather hand over some spacebucks than have to spend my time grinding the same missions over and over.

I saw no option to buy the weapons, if there was I would likely pay.  I'd rather part with 10 US dollars than spend hours and hours playing a mode I don't want to.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 27, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 08:12:27 PM

...herpderp sniper in the middle of nowhere.

LOL I hate when that happens.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 27, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 27, 2011, 08:13:52 PM

I saw no option to buy the weapons, if there was I would likely pay.  I'd rather part with 10 US dollars than spend hours and hours playing a mode I don't want to.

Right, yeah, no mention of a pay option.  "Wishful" thinking.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 27, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »

Thanks!  I'll just log in after work and start playing then.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 27, 2011, 08:33:28 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 27, 2011, 07:10:14 PM

A valid tactic.  And as the wiki also suggests, sometimes they let the pointman through to maximize the damage to the remaining unit once they enter the killzone.

For the most part, people are so kill crazy that they won't pass up an easy kill on the hope they can get more. I'm sure there is also the guy sitting at his pc (yes, he would be on PC) wearing fatigues and face paint who would do that.

Edit: Regarding 'pug's points on vehicles. If you happen to find yourself flying a helicopter or jet, it is perfectly normal to crash within 3 seconds of taking off. Be prepared for some verbal abuse when this happens biggrin
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:47:38 PM by Jag » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 27, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on October 27, 2011, 08:31:05 PM

A little more Battlefield background:

Conquest mode and Rush mode are the good modes to play.  Conquest is the classic old-fashioned BF game type that made the series rise to fame and glory.  It's a flag-based capture and hold mode.  Each team has a set number of "tickets" that drain when people die and drain if the opposing team holds more than half the points.  If you're familiar with the domination mode in Call of Duty, that is an imitation of Conquest.

When Bad Company came out with consoles in mind, the lower player count would've made a Conquest map rather barren, so they tried to focus the fighting between just two fronts in a multi-stage attacker/defender setup.  Either try to arm and detonate two explosive charges per stage, or try to prevent it from happening.  I think it does a great job maximizing the good BF fights and minimizing Conquest whack-a-mole flag-chasing moments, but a lot of purists still prefer Conquest.  I had enough fun in Conquest last night that I can see myself hopping between the two modes.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 27, 2011, 08:52:22 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 27, 2011, 08:17:35 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 08:12:27 PM

...herpderp sniper in the middle of nowhere.

LOL I hate when that happens.

Yeah I never, ever spawn on a sniper unless it is someone I know.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 27, 2011, 10:17:48 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 08:40:11 PM

Quote from: Covenant on October 27, 2011, 08:31:05 PM

A little more Battlefield background:

Conquest mode and Rush mode are the good modes to play.  Conquest is the classic old-fashioned BF game type that made the series rise to fame and glory.  It's a flag-based capture and hold mode.  Each team has a set number of "tickets" that drain when people die and drain if the opposing team holds more than half the points.  If you're familiar with the domination mode in Call of Duty, that is an imitation of Conquest.

When Bad Company came out with consoles in mind, the lower player count would've made a Conquest map rather barren, so they tried to focus the fighting between just two fronts in a multi-stage attacker/defender setup.  Either try to arm and detonate two explosive charges per stage, or try to prevent it from happening.  I think it does a great job maximizing the good BF fights and minimizing Conquest whack-a-mole flag-chasing moments, but a lot of purists still prefer Conquest.  I had enough fun in Conquest last night that I can see myself hopping between the two modes.

Squad DM is fun too, we played the crap out of this mode in BC2.  the fact that there are 4 teams makes it exciting and keeps it fresh imo.  It's 4 teams of 4 in an otherwise normal deathmatch, except there is one vehicle to fight over.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 27, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »

I played BC2 on my 360 when it came out and thought it looked fine.

I played the PS3 version of BF3 last night, multiplayer, and thought it looked horrendous  icon_eek Good Lord I feel bad for you console players.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 27, 2011, 11:00:59 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 27, 2011, 10:57:37 PM

I played the PS3 version of BF3 last night, multiplayer, and thought it looked horrendous  icon_eek Good Lord I feel bad for you console players.

I don't know what the PS3 version looks like, but the 360 version (with HD texture pack) looks better than BC2.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 27, 2011, 11:13:12 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 27, 2011, 11:00:59 PM

I don't know what the PS3 version looks like, but the 360 version (with HD texture pack) looks better than BC2.

Yeah I'm really pleasantly surprised with how good the 360 version looks.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 27, 2011, 11:16:54 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 27, 2011, 11:00:59 PM

+1

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 27, 2011, 11:18:05 PM »

Sure would like to join...been playing for two days and still can't log onto Battlelog.  Worst part is I can't tell if I'm being a dumbass and doing something wrong or if it's Origin's issue.  It just says 'Account is not allowed to login'

mad

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 27, 2011, 11:24:49 PM »

Quote from: Redfive on October 27, 2011, 11:18:05 PM

Sure would like to join...been playing for two days and still can't log onto Battlelog.  Worst part is I can't tell if I'm being a dumbass and doing something wrong or if it's Origin's issue.  It just says 'Account is not allowed to login'

mad

You don't need to get into the Battlelog to play with us, do you?
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 27, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »

I was under the impression that I could only join the platoon through Battlelog.  I have to admit though, I haven't read the whole thread.

I'm juggling between trying to get Battlelog access (I really hope this is an Origin issue because this is making feel like a complete n00b), confirming that the servers are, in fact, down right now, and finding some friends to play with.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 27, 2011, 11:39:52 PM »

The platoon thing doesn't really affect anything game-wise.  I wasn't even XBL friends with kepow's two buddies and we were able to squad up just fine.

Are you trying to play on the 360 or PC?
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 27, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 27, 2011, 11:47:11 PM »

Yeah I don't even know what platoon does?  It doesn't affect if you can play with anyone.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 27, 2011, 11:54:20 PM »

Wtf ea???  I can't get into multiplay tonight
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 27, 2011, 11:58:17 PM »

Yeah, servers are toast right now.

TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 28, 2011, 12:00:58 AM »

So how do I attach an xboxlive ID to my ea account? ( I know I'm an idiot.)
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 28, 2011, 12:07:32 AM »

Quote from: TheEgoWhip on October 28, 2011, 12:00:58 AM

So how do I attach an xboxlive ID to my ea account? ( I know I'm an idiot.)

No, not so much.  I can't figure it out either.  Even if I follow the step by step directions on Origin, it tells me to click buttons / drop downs that aren't even there...

I *think* you are supposed to go into your account settings where allegedly they allow you to link your Gamertag to you Origin account...this is where the wheels fell off for me.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 28, 2011, 12:17:37 AM »

At the top of the Battlelog site:
We are aware that "Origin activation" is experiencing problems. Origin are working on a fix. If you have been "kicked by admin" from a server, please go here to update Punkbuster. Thank you for your patience.

I wouldn't even bother trying to connect to Battlelog for a while.  You're not really missing out on anything, and it's not worth the headache trying to get it to work in the midst of their issues this week.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 28, 2011, 12:33:59 AM »

Kotaku say that PC and 360 are still suffering from server issues

A flurry of tweets from the official Battlefield 3 twitter lets everyone know that they are aware of the network issues plaguing the PC and Xbox 360 versions of the game. The team said in separate tweets that they are working to resolve network service issues affecting the PC version and are aware that they are experiencing problems with their 360 servers.

I just got back from the Midnight Opening,and currently installing

so if i install both discs(360 here),does that automatically install the HD Texture pack thing,or do i have to install that separately from the in game menu?

Quote from: wonderpug on October 28, 2011, 12:17:37 AM

At the top of the Battlelog site:
We are aware that "Origin activation" is experiencing problems. Origin are working on a fix. If you have been "kicked by admin" from a server, please go here to update Punkbuster. Thank you for your patience.

I wouldn't even bother trying to connect to Battlelog for a while.  You're not really missing out on anything, and it's not worth the headache trying to get it to work in the midst of their issues this week.

I just tried Battlelog myself,but it said i needed to play online with the game first,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 28, 2011, 12:53:35 AM »

Seems to be back up now.  How do I find you guys?  Gamertags?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 28, 2011, 04:56:46 AM »

The unlock system has to be my biggest complaint about the game.  I hate how few weapons I have to choose from, and how much I have to work to get even basic accessories for any of them.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 28, 2011, 05:00:39 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 28, 2011, 04:56:46 AM

The unlock system has to be my biggest complaint about the game.  I hate how few weapons I have to choose from, and how much I have to work to get even basic accessories for any of them.

And it's silly they don't share between factions.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 28, 2011, 05:05:58 AM »

Campaign:Okay i am on mission 8 of 12(playing normal),not really sure what to think,i am enjoying it,but it really doesn't do anything we haven't seen before,and although it can look cool,i am starting to get sick of the dust particles and lens flare in the cutscenes,i have died quite a few times as well

I have actually had quite a few glitches,one mission you are behind enemy lines and i found one of my marines stood up looking at me,but as i got a bit closer he disappeared and became a dead marine hanging out of a car door,and also there was a cutscene that played fine,and it loaded onto another cutscene,but after a few seconds of the second cutscene it would go to a loading screen and play the first cutscene again,it just kept going round in a loop,so i had to quit to dashboard for that

EDIT:Okay finished,took me about 6 hrs 45 minutes,and i died quite a bit and had to repeat a lot of stuff...it was good,but we have all seen better,however,now i can concentrate on getting owned in the multiplayer icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:45:14 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 28, 2011, 11:10:45 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 28, 2011, 04:56:46 AM

+1

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 28, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »

Ok, so I wentthrough the nightmare of attaching my xbox account to ea account last night and here's what I found:

1) Most important, you need to make sure the ea account uses the same email address as your xbox live account does.  If they don't match, you won't get the option to attach. This step was what messed me up for the longest time.
2) Under the persona section, you should be able to "add persona" and attach your gamertag to the account.
3) Play a quick multiplayer match to make sure everything synchs up in magic land.
4) Visit battle log siteand login with the ea account.
5) Log into gunclub to get your free gun
6) Restart Battlefield and battlelog should work fine now.

Step #1 had me pulling my hair out, as there was no option to add a persona anywhere.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 28, 2011, 12:01:01 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on October 28, 2011, 11:47:47 AM

Ok, so I wentthrough the nightmare of attaching my xbox account to ea account last night and here's what I found:

1) Most important, you need to make sure the ea account uses the same email address as your xbox live account does.  If they don't match, you won't get the option to attach. This step was what messed me up for the longest time.
2) Under the persona section, you should be able to "add persona" and attach your gamertag to the account.
3) Play a quick multiplayer match to make sure everything synchs up in magic land.
4) Visit battle log siteand login with the ea account.
5) Log into gunclub to get your free gun
6) Restart Battlefield and battlelog should work fine now.

Step #1 had me pulling my hair out, as there was no option to add a persona anywhere.

My email is different for EA than for Live, and I had no problems fwiw.  Oddly I also have the gunclub gun and have yet to go to that site.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 28, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »

Regarding the SP, it can be quite difficult in spots, even on normal. I've played through the first 3 or 4 missions and have hit a number of choke points. The action is quite intense, however.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 28, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »

I started the campaign just to check it out.  It was pretty fun all things considered (like QTE's that blow) but I couldn't play once I got to the part that I was defending on a .50 cal against infantry rushing me and they were taking more than one hit to down.  Just felt stupid.

I've tried COOP with public people several times and every time it puts me in the chopper mission as the gunner with a pilot who has no fucking idea.  Pug, you should do coop with me so we can be miserable together and get the unlocks.  figures the weapon I want the most on the list is the last coop unlock.  bleh!
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 28, 2011, 01:20:25 PM »

I'd like to do those unlocks as well..and turns out I'm not that bad flying the helo (was an ace in BF 2 but that was mouse / keyboard).

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 28, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »

Played a few online games this morning(or afternoon,whenever it was that i woke up)

took me about 10 minutes to actually get into a game,it kept saying connection lost and check me settings<<,cheeky bastards

the first match,i hated and i instantly thought Christ i have finished the single player and i hate the multiplayer

then i played a second game and i did a hell of a lot better,and because of that i enjoyed it more(tends to be the way with me if not with friends,play shit,then i hate it,play good and i love it)

Third game i came third in my side,which is pretty good for me,LOL

sorry that i can't name the three maps i played on,one was a marketplace with an alley(3 spawn points to take)..and one i started on a boat and had to use a speedboat type..er boat to get to the action

not got a clue what i am doing with the customisation of weapons and kits,so i have left it for now

still a bit annoyed that when i do well in a game i get a COG sight(or whatever it is)attached to my gun when i didn't want it to be,meaning i have to mess around in the settings to take it back off

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 28, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »

I tried to get on last night but servers were shite. 

Like others, my default server filter setting were for Europe, so make sure and check those. I saw much better connections with Western US servers of course.

The hard thing about trying to join friends or a party is the server set up. If they're playing in a server that's full, as most are after a few rounds, there doesn't seem to be a way to join them. 

I still can't figure out how to link my EA/Xbox accounts. Battlelog, feh. 

I forgot how much more relaxing and tactical BF is, though. I played the crap out of BF2 on my PC but since have gone down the MW2/COD/Black Ops trail. It was fun to actually think about where to spawn, what target to attack, where to best place the tank, get Points for Suppression!  Good times but a big adjustment.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: