http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 03:03:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 21450 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 26, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 26, 2011, 08:41:56 PM

Ooh ooh! Pick me pick me!

You're already a member!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 27, 2011, 02:09:48 AM »

Let me in!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 27, 2011, 03:12:58 AM »

Quote from: Devil on October 27, 2011, 02:09:48 AM

Let me in!

Done!

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 27, 2011, 05:48:35 AM »

Recon gets the SOFLAM, which is the laser designator. Can't wait until more people have the guided missiles/tank rounds (yes the MBT's get guided shells) and start lasing some targets.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 27, 2011, 06:27:36 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 26, 2011, 07:35:05 PM

I created a GamingTrend platoon - do a search and join up!

I assume you guys are all on Xbox?

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 27, 2011, 09:26:49 AM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on October 27, 2011, 05:48:35 AM

Recon gets the SOFLAM, which is the laser designator. Can't wait until more people have the guided missiles/tank rounds (yes the MBT's get guided shells) and start lasing some targets.

I laze targets all the time, I'm probably gonna pass out from excitement the first time a target I mark actually gets hit though.  I'm mostly alternating between recon marking and jet flying since I want to unlock the guided missile on the jet. 

Do we have any confirmation on Javelin being able to use ld'd targets?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 27, 2011, 11:32:05 AM »

few observations:

Claymores are a bit ridiculously good in Rush mode.  Put down ammo pack, plant a claymore on each side of objective, profit slywink  nonstop claymores, haven't found a reasonable counter yet.  I held a point solo while my whole team held the other point.

Recon respawn tool is ok in conquest, but really, really good for both offense and defense on Rush

Mobile AA is retardedly good versus infantry.  Didnt' these not aim low enough to hit infantry previously?  I think there was a reason for that... 

Strafing enemy planes and helis on runway so they are burning when someone spawns into them is tons of fun. slywink

No matter how effective I feel and no matter how many tanks, planes and choppers I shoot down, SPM suffers when flying.

Really wish people would spot things more, and laser designate as well.  If you are on the ground, spot planes and tanks.  It's easier for you to spot both from the ground than from the air.  I've finally become proficient at strafing tanks and jeeps, but only if they are marked.  Not enough time to aquire a non-marked target and strafe without augering in
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 27, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »

Are the stingers actually effective against jets? Multiple times I've sent three stinger missiles at a jet and haven't registered a single hit. The first one will trigger flares, but it seems like the other ones just miss. Are jets able to outrun these missiles? I don't have any problems taking down helicopters, which are slower.

I'm really enjoying Conquest, but I see no reason not to be an engineer in that game mode. I might have to play some rush mode just so I can switch to other classes.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 27, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on October 27, 2011, 11:41:27 AM

Are the stingers actually effective against jets? Multiple times I've sent three stinger missiles at a jet and haven't registered a single hit. The first one will trigger flares, but it seems like the other ones just miss. Are jets able to outrun these missiles? I don't have any problems taking down helicopters, which are slower.

I'm really enjoying Conquest, but I see no reason not to be an engineer in that game mode. I might have to play some rush mode just so I can switch to other classes.

Engineers are awfully important in Conquest, but the other classes all have something to offer. 

Jets can dodge missiles, it's hard but possible.  You might just be firing too quickly after the flares though.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 27, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »

From my experience using stinger missiles last night, the air vehicle flares refresh in the time it takes to get another lock on and fire another missile.  It's like the AC-130 from CoD where you need two people to fire stingers one after another.  I don't mind the flare refresh being close to the stinger refire period, but I think the pilot should have to do some evasion in order to delay the second missile.  If the engineer is quick on getting that second shot, he should get a hit.

Re: no reason not to be an engie in conquest
I was playing conquest with kepow and two of his friends a long while last night and most of us were engineers.  It was great to have so much anti-vehicle capability but I kept on running out of ammo.  A support guy would've been handy.  We also had some matches that were close enough score-wise that an active defib reviver could've given us the win.  Nobody needs recon. slywink

Re: mobile AA vs infantry
If I remember right, it could hit ground targets but couldn't aim downward even an inch, which made it at least a little unwieldy on any kind of uneven terrain.  If you parked on a downward slope, though, I think you could shoot to your heart's delight.

Re: jets
Man oh man people need to spot more.  It's so frustrating being in the air unopposed and seeing enemy tanks racking up kills without being able to find the tanks.  At best I'd do one past to find where the fighting was happening, another pass to try and spot a target myself, then a third to actually do some damage.  Any time someone spotted I'd be able to at least disable the vehicle on the first pass. 

Re: I love this game
I love this game.  Stayed up till 2:30am playing with kepow's crew and I didn't even notice how late it was. 
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: October 27, 2011, 02:36:56 PM »

I can easily see in a squad of people that are working together, having an assault guy to revive and heal along with a support guy to replenish ammo would be huge.

I could probably make that work going solo as well, but I don't know if I want to lose the anti-vehicle weapons.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 27, 2011, 02:45:50 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on October 27, 2011, 11:41:27 AM

Yup, Stingers are good against jets. Shot one last night to disable it causing it to crash over the edge of the map. Big flash of fire over the hill from my view like in the movies. 

Many lulz were had by me.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 27, 2011, 02:54:28 PM »

Game will be completely different once people unlock and level up imo.

Right now we're missing the whole laser desig/guided missile mechanic as well as the squad perks.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 27, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »

Looking at the server settings for the Dice servers on 360 makes me sad.  FF could be on, and squad spawning can be set to leader only.  I would love those settings.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 27, 2011, 03:22:41 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 01:19:39 PM

From my experience using stinger missiles last night, the air vehicle flares refresh in the time it takes to get another lock on and fire another missile.  It's like the AC-130 from CoD where you need two people to fire stingers one after another.  I don't mind the flare refresh being close to the stinger refire period, but I think the pilot should have to do some evasion in order to delay the second missile.  If the engineer is quick on getting that second shot, he should get a hit.

It took me a while to sort this out, but I'm pretty sure the pilot has no idea when you actually fire a stinger.  So basically lock-on, hold until they flare, and then fire the missile.

Of course that's easier said than done.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 27, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 27, 2011, 03:22:41 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 01:19:39 PM

From my experience using stinger missiles last night, the air vehicle flares refresh in the time it takes to get another lock on and fire another missile.  It's like the AC-130 from CoD where you need two people to fire stingers one after another.  I don't mind the flare refresh being close to the stinger refire period, but I think the pilot should have to do some evasion in order to delay the second missile.  If the engineer is quick on getting that second shot, he should get a hit.

It took me a while to sort this out, but I'm pretty sure the pilot has no idea when you actually fire a stinger.  So basically lock-on, hold until they flare, and then fire the missile.

Of course that's easier said than done.

the pilot knows, oh yes, the pilot knows slywink  The tone changes after a lock when the missile is fired.  The noob pilots pop flares when lock is achieved, the good ones wait until shortly after the missile tone is heard.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 27, 2011, 03:33:50 PM »

Ahhh, ok.  Will have to try that out tonight.  We'll also have to try and be on the same team next time.  icon_wink

Can someone tell me what the view is like from the gunner seat of the attack choppers (the two-seaters)?  I was flying some of kepow's friends around a bunch last night but I wasn't really sure how to best set them up for kills.  Does the view rotate with the chopper, or does it hold itself steady?  Is it limited to firing in a downward forward-facing arc, or can it fire rearwards and/or above the horizon line?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 27, 2011, 03:34:40 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 27, 2011, 03:32:32 PM

the pilot knows, oh yes, the pilot knows slywink  The tone changes after a lock when the missile is fired.  The noob pilots pop flares when lock is achieved, the good ones wait until shortly after the missile tone is heard.

Aww.  So there's a tone for someone trying to get a lock, a tone for a lock, and then a tone for a fired missile?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 27, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 03:34:40 PM

Aww.  So there's a tone for someone trying to get a lock, a tone for a lock, and then a tone for a fired missile?

correct, three separate identifiable tones
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 27, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 03:33:50 PM

Ahhh, ok.  Will have to try that out tonight.  We'll also have to try and be on the same team next time.  icon_wink

Can someone tell me what the view is like from the gunner seat of the attack choppers (the two-seaters)?  I was flying some of kepow's friends around a bunch last night but I wasn't really sure how to best set them up for kills.  Does the view rotate with the chopper, or does it hold itself steady?  Is it limited to firing in a downward forward-facing arc, or can it fire rearwards and/or above the horizon line?

it's really hard to describe and I would suggest flying as the gunner a few times to get a grasp of it.  It's really hard for the gunner to hit things if the pilot isn't steady and aware of their arc though. Jarrod can probably answer this though, he was always my gunner.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 27, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 27, 2011, 03:36:23 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 03:34:40 PM

correct, three separate identifiable tones

Ah bugger.  It's definitely tough to shoot down planes.

Does the helicopter have the same 3 tone system?  I was doing much better at shooting them down when I learned to wait.

Also I'm pretty sure I shot wonderpug down one time last night FTW.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 27, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »

same tones as far as I know, but heli's can't really get out of the way of missiles.

This game made me really proud.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/640592/2/172237086/

Basically spotting EVERYTHING and staying hidden at an objective got me MVP.  The only kills I got were all in one burst when a guy found my spot and had 3 friends pop out his ass and I chased/ran from them around a pillar taking them all out one by one like a dog chasing a rabbit around a tree.  Was down to my pistol and sniping with it at the end.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 27, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »

I'm going to need someone to do a bunch of the coop with me.  I need those weapons unlocked frown
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 27, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 27, 2011, 03:12:58 AM

Quote from: Devil on October 27, 2011, 02:09:48 AM

Let me in!

Done!

Pretty sure I will be the worst anyone has ever seen.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 27, 2011, 04:48:50 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 27, 2011, 02:54:28 PM

Game will be completely different once people unlock and level up imo.

Right now we're missing the whole laser desig/guided missile mechanic as well as the squad perks.

And tons of better weapons and attachments.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 27, 2011, 05:08:03 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 27, 2011, 04:43:23 PM

I'm going to need someone to do a bunch of the coop with me.  I need those weapons unlocked frown

I'd be down for co-op.  If I'm playing Rage or Batman, shoot me an invite anyway.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 27, 2011, 05:09:54 PM »

Is co-op just two player?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 27, 2011, 05:22:14 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 05:09:54 PM

Is co-op just two player?

yep
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 27, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »

icon_confused

How many co-op playthroughs would it take to unlock everything?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 27, 2011, 05:36:39 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 05:28:29 PM

icon_confused

I dont' really want to know the true answer.  I've played through the first and second mission, both unsuccessfully.  Net result was 5k for one, 10k for the other.  The final unlock is about 440,000 points.  So only about 700-800 missions to get them all at this rate....   icon_eek

fucking evil companies that make you do single player to unlock multiplayer goods, now they make you play limited multiplayer to unlock multiplayer goods so I can't even do it by myself.

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 27, 2011, 06:04:29 PM »

join request sent for plattoon.  Just picked this up at lunch, having never played a Battlefield game before.  Any tips on how to get myself up to at least a playable state?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 27, 2011, 06:21:10 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 27, 2011, 05:36:39 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on October 27, 2011, 05:28:29 PM

icon_confused

I dont' really want to know the true answer.  I've played through the first and second mission, both unsuccessfully.  Net result was 5k for one, 10k for the other.  The final unlock is about 440,000 points.  So only about 700-800 missions to get them all at this rate....   icon_eek

A fellow on the PA forums has played through the co-op campaign 4 times and change, and he's unlocked all but the last weapon.  I think I'm going to have to avoid the whole thing on principle.  At this point I'd rather hand over some spacebucks than have to spend my time grinding the same missions over and over.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 27, 2011, 06:34:48 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on October 27, 2011, 06:04:29 PM

Any tips on how to get myself up to at least a playable state?
Here are my own newb tips from 2 days of playing that I posted on QT3. I'm sure the pros have better ones.

1. If you are lost follow others. This has multiple benefits of strength in numbers and the guy in front usually gets shot first! If that happens see #2....

2. Hot key prone (z on PC). I have crouch mapped to middle mouse. Use it ALL THE TIME. Bullets flying, go prone. Last night, I went prone and had a squad of THREE soldiers literally run over me. I shot all three in the back. I couldn't believe it.

3. Look for blue skulls. Those are your dead teammates. If you see more than one dead skull, that means either the enemy is good, there is more than one or they are dug in good. Regardless, don't run over to where the skull is otherwise you will turn into one.

4. Use spot. Mash Q on the PC even if you can't see the guy clearly. It will put an orange marker over your target making them easier to kill and give you spotting points.

5. Use mounted vehicle guns as a mobile machine gun. F1-F4(?) switches position. Drive the vehicle to where you want it and jump into the gun. Some vehicle weapons have a rt-mouse zoom.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 27, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »

You're going to confuse the console folks with talk about keys biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 27, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »

Quote from: Jag on October 27, 2011, 06:34:48 PM

1. If you are lost follow others. This has multiple benefits of strength in numbers and the guy in front usually gets shot first!

icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 27, 2011, 06:47:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 27, 2011, 06:46:23 PM

1. If you are lost follow others. This has multiple benefits of strength in numbers and the guy in front usually gets shot first!

icon_lol

This is actually great advice!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 27, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 27, 2011, 06:47:23 PM

icon_lol

It's called taking point

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 27, 2011, 07:07:51 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 27, 2011, 07:01:49 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 27, 2011, 06:47:23 PM

icon_lol

It's called taking point

I remember that episode of Band Of Brothers,hmm,and also Saving Private Ryan,they shoot the point man,and leave him injured so to get people to come and help him(Revive in BF3's case),and then they shoot that guy as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 27, 2011, 07:10:14 PM »

A valid tactic.  And as the wiki also suggests, sometimes they let the pointman through to maximize the damage to the remaining unit once they enter the killzone.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 27, 2011, 07:12:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2011, 06:43:05 PM

You're going to confuse the console folks with talk about keys biggrin

Yeah, read the forum name!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17   Go Up
  Print