http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 04:06:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 21102 times)
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 12:19:11 AM »

dedicated servers and suppression fire are two things I've wanted in an FPS for a long time.  (we had dedicated on BF, and suppression on AA, but not both)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 03:38:31 AM »

Suppressing fire in what sense?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 03:57:50 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 16, 2011, 11:58:47 PM

Is CoD doing destructible terrain this time around?
from what I saw on their e3 cod video, it looked like scripted destructible terrain.  Whereas BF3 is all real time
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 04:00:39 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 17, 2011, 03:38:31 AM

The Support class was super important in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 because it could heal, but they're given a new role in Battlefield 3:suppression. Shooting in an enemy's general direction is important in real combat, giving your own team a chance to move and gain position while the enemies are frightened into running for cover. Battlefield 3 takes this into account, and anyone firing a hail of lead near foes – something the Support class is especially good at, much more so with a fancy bi-pod attachment – will suppress the enemy. This not only garners points for the shooter, but dims and shakes the screen of those affected. Shooting to kill is an important role, but shooting to provide actual supporting fire is now emphasized as well.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 05:56:58 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 17, 2011, 04:00:39 AM

The Support class was super important in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 because it could heal, but they're given a new role in Battlefield 3:suppression. Shooting in an enemy's general direction is important in real combat, giving your own team a chance to move and gain position while the enemies are frightened into running for cover. Battlefield 3 takes this into account, and anyone firing a hail of lead near foes – something the Support class is especially good at, much more so with a fancy bi-pod attachment – will suppress the enemy. This not only garners points for the shooter, but dims and shakes the screen of those affected. Shooting to kill is an important role, but shooting to provide actual supporting fire is now emphasized as well.

Nice that sounds very cool. My favorite part of BF is getting points for support functions.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 06:34:41 AM »

doubly awesome for the gunner.  that was my favorite class to play in bc2

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »

okay here we go PS3 footage here,doesn't look as good as PC of course(we knew that was gonna be the case),but to be honest it looks pretty damn fine still

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLCFQyqEoHA&feature=player_embedded#at=224

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 12:27:30 PM »

Oh, that sounds cool, although I need to see how it works. Does simply the act of shooting at someone shake their screen then? So if I shoot at you a second before you shoot at me, your screen starts to shake even though I am not hitting you? Or does it specifically apply to people in certain cover or something?

I mean, first I was like, well in COD if you shoot in the direction of people you are suppressing them because if they put their head out they will get shot, just like in real life. But I guess with respawning, there isn't enough penalty for trying to get a shot in.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:32:30 PM by Teggy » Logged

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »

It will make your computer / console shake violently and shoots a laser beam directly at your eyes at the same time if you have a webcam installed.

A new one
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 12:39:01 PM »

Suppression fire sounds neat. Can't wait to see how it's implemented.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 17, 2011, 12:27:30 PM

Oh, that sounds cool, although I need to see how it works. Does simply the act of shooting at someone shake their screen then? So if I shoot at you a second before you shoot at me, your screen starts to shake even though I am not hitting you? Or does it specifically apply to people in certain cover or something?

I mean, first I was like, well in COD if you shoot in the direction of people you are suppressing them because if they put their head out they will get shot, just like in real life. But I guess with respawning, there isn't enough penalty for trying to get a shot in.

I believe it will only function for support class, giving a reason to use LMG's even if they have crappy recoil/accuracy.  In real life, fear of death is all you need to have suppression fire be effective.  In games people just don't give a shit so it has to be modeled.   I would guess it will be similar to America's Army but with a different effect.  In AA if you fire an LMG near someone, when the rounds pass near them it forces them down one stance change (standing -> crouched -> prone) reflecting the desire to keep your head down when being shot at.   In BF3 it seems it will simply make you less able to accurately return fire or be aware of what's happening.  Finally a game where I can yell to Teggy 'Cover me!' and it will work! slywink

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2011, 01:18:33 PM »

Unless Teggy shoots you in the back

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2011, 01:28:27 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 17, 2011, 12:27:30 PM

As you said, people in COD can respawn, unlike real life. So if you know you are playing against a bunch of noobs who don't aim well, getting shot at doesn't affect you at all in COD. In BF3 even a noob can provide supressing fire. Which in a way is like real life, i.e. I don't care if you're a Marine marksman or haven't shot a gun at all - if you're shooting at me with real bullets there is no way in hell I'll take chances with your aim.

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »

Should most guns have the suppression effect?  Sure machine guns would be more sustained but it should be there for other weapons too.  Suppression effect should also increase if there are multiple people firing.   I liked how it worked in Brothers in Arms but that was just single player.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »

I'm hoping it's just tied to the number of bullets whizzing by and not hardwired to specific guns.  The high capacity and deployable MGs would be the best guns suited to the job, but not necessarily the only ones capable.  We'll see.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2011, 05:21:25 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 17, 2011, 05:04:50 PM

I'm hoping it's just tied to the number of bullets whizzing by and not hardwired to specific guns.  The high capacity and deployable MGs would be the best guns suited to the job, but not necessarily the only ones capable.  We'll see.

that would make too much sense and I dont' want to get my hopes up slywink
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2011, 06:01:16 PM »

The underlined is what's getting my hopes up.  Makes it sound like any gun will suppress, big MGs will do it better, and deployed MGs will be even better than that.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2011, 06:02:28 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 17, 2011, 12:56:42 PM

Finally a game where I can yell to Teggy 'Cover me!' and it will work! slywink

Finally a game where I can have bad aim and still be effective!

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 17, 2011, 01:18:33 PM

Unless Teggy shoots you in the back

Not "unless". "Until".

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2011, 06:06:01 PM »

I just placed my pre-order for this and Batman.  October's going to be fun!  November when the CC bill comes will be less so.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »

Dedicated servers is confirmed on consoles? And does that mean totally lag free play?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2011, 06:29:20 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 17, 2011, 06:19:14 PM

Dedicated servers is confirmed on consoles? And does that mean totally lag free play?

Didn't Bad Company 2 have dedicated servers? Because it certainly wasn't lag free.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2011, 07:15:23 PM »

Dedicated is less laggy than not, but it's not lag free.  The problem BF always has is way too many players for the amount of hardware they are willing to dedicate to the dedicated servers.  I dont' foresee this being fixed this time either.  I expect it to be unplayable for a week or more.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2011, 08:48:03 PM »

Yep, expect the 'We are sooo surprised at how popular our game is! Please be patient while...' message that they have every time they release on the 360.

Seriously guys, after the 4th game with exactly the same bugs/issues the player base is aware you are lying through your teeth.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2011, 09:33:18 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on June 17, 2011, 08:48:03 PM

Yep, expect the 'We are sooo surprised at how popular our game is! Please be patient while...' message that they have every time they release on the 360.

Seriously guys, after the 4th game with exactly the same bugs/issues the player base is aware you are lying through your teeth.

Well, on the bright side at least you console players won't have to wait for the inevitable server browser re-write that happens on every PC version.  Tongue

"Oh, we had no idea how terrible this core functionality was...just like last time and the time before"

Sandwiches do fix everything.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2011, 02:49:01 AM »

Soldier movement doesn't look tank-like and ponderous, so here's hoping they thought to try fixing previous flaws this time around!
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2011, 03:01:08 AM »

Speaking of tank-like:
If only someone could take this part of the game and build something like M1 Tank Platoon around it

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Mikagami
Gaming Trend Reader

Click Clack Click Clack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2011, 03:17:49 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB9jU5wVekQ&feature=player_embedded

MP footage folks!
Check out the flashlight in action.
Blinding if you are looking at it.
Wonder if the flashing red after a few seconds of firing the LMG there represented suppressive fire.
And lastly, that dude completely dies to the falling debris of the building.  Bitchin'!

Edit: forgot about one of the biggest issues addressed, check out the knifing animation! No longer instant.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:20:07 PM by Mikagami » Logged

Gonna eat your face
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2011, 03:31:48 PM »

would still like to see some more console footage,all we have seen i think is that bit of PS3 footage on the Jimmy Fallon show

i can see people when it comes to 1 on 1 turning their flashlights on now and winning the dual,kinda like those dicks who decide to jump and lie down in front of you in COD finger

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 21, 2011, 03:31:48 PM

kinda like those dicks who decide to jump and lie down in front of you in COD finger

You mean like Lettuce and Calvin?

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2011, 04:52:48 PM »

Quote from: Roman on July 21, 2011, 04:41:44 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 21, 2011, 03:31:48 PM

kinda like those dicks who decide to jump and lie down in front of you in COD finger

You mean like Lettuce and Calvin?

LIES!

I drop to the knee...very rarely to prone...and honestly 95% of it is unintentional mashing of the sticke (which also explains why I constantly unintentionally stand up when I'm behind cover)...

And there ain't no need to crouch when you come to battle wit da shotgun BOOYAH!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:54:51 PM by ATB » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2011, 05:45:14 PM »

well pr0ner always did say ATB was better on his knees..... biggrin  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2011, 05:57:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 21, 2011, 05:45:14 PM

m4ck3r told me he will confirm this statement.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2011, 06:09:10 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on July 21, 2011, 05:57:46 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 21, 2011, 05:45:14 PM

m4ck3r told me he will confirm this statement.

I can't believe the that m4ck3r is cheating on you and you are allowing it!

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2011, 01:36:41 PM »

eek drool

over Mik's mp clip
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2011, 01:54:06 PM »

i just got this sent to me through email(Battlefield 3 Alpha),the code i got in the end i gave to a friend(not sure if he will be able to use it though)

see if you can get it to give you a code if you have an EA account
https://bf3alpha.battlefield.com/index.php?id=1

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »

damn, once i login it says i don't meet the requirements.... wonder what the requirements are?
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »

Same, don't meet the requirements.  icon_frown

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »

sorry to hear that guys,this was the email i got

Hi Gamer,
As one of our valued and trusted Battlefield players, we are happy to invite you to participate in the Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial. All the instructions you need to join are printed below.

We are inviting you specifically because we think you have a great interest in the Battlefield series, and because we think you understand the technical issues that might arise this early in a game's development cycle.

The purpose of the Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial is to do a number of server-related tests in preparation for game launch, including load testing our back-end. We are also looking to you to provide us with any feedback on the entire Alpha Trial experience.
Please note that this is not the Open Beta due in September, it's not the Beta promised to buyers of Medal of Honor™ Limited Edition and this is not a public demo.

This is a highly tech-focused Alpha Trial that does not represent final quality of the game. Performance at this early stage of development will potentially be choppy and far from optimal, and we will bring the servers down at our leisure if needed. There will be periods of downtime and periods when we run tests that will negatively affect the performance on the Alpha Trial servers (leading to lag and rubber banding, etc.).
The available slots are limited, so make sure to redeem your unique Alpha Trial code before they run out (see instructions below).
If you choose to join this Alpha Trial, please do not publically post information, images, videos or your impressions of it. If you have any questions or concerns, please leave your feedback directly to us at DICE in the closed Alpha Trial forum we have set up specifically for this purpose.
The Battlefield 3 team and I here at DICE are looking forward to your participation.
Cheers,

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2011, 08:08:44 PM »

Once again EA has changed how they handle accounts and mine is all screwed up.  Time to see how long it takes them to fix it this time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: